Start by marking “The Third Lynx” as Want to Read:
The Third Lynx

The Third Lynx (Quadrail #2)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  991 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Former government agent Frank Compton foiled a plot to enslave the galaxy in Night Train to Rigel. But the Modhri, an ancient telepathically linked intelligence, has walkers, unwilling hosts that can be anywhere, anything…and anyone. And Compton is the only man who knows how to fight them, as they wage a secret war against the galactic civilizations linked by the Quadrail, ...more
Published July 29th 2008 by Tor Books (first published October 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Third Lynx, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Third Lynx

John Loyd
Apr 07, 2015 John Loyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Third Lynx (2007) 332 pages by Timothy Zahn

This is a sequel to Night Train to Rigel. I can't say too much about the plot of this book without putting you about two thirds the way through the first book. This was great, fast paced. The protagonist, Frank Compton, is ex-military/secret service type who got kicked of that because he opposed (and exposed) the Yandro project.

The galaxy is inhabited by a dozen sentient species. The movement between systems is done by quadrail, a system leftover f
Jesse Whitehead
The Third Lynx is actually the second book in Zahn’s Quadrail series. It took me a long time to get around to reading this book because I didn’t really care for the first one. Night Train to Rigel had an interesting premise but kind of spent too much time explaining things to be really exciting.

The Third Lynx has stepped it up a notch, mostly because the setup has been done already and now we can get to the fun stuff. The fun stuff is what Zahn does best: interesting aliens used in surprising an
Jim
Oct 13, 2010 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This second book moved faster than its predecessor. As with the first book, it is a bit contrived, in the sense that the main character always figures things out correctly, his logic is always infallible.

The series has an enemy that is unknown to all, and those that know about this enemy cannot disclose too much. The enemy also does not wish to be known, so as to continue his galactic takeover. The primary SF gimmick is a space-fairing subway, and much of the story is there. Because no weapons a
Soo
Mar 29, 2013 Soo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Frank and Bayta are approached by a well clad stranger for assistance on a private matter. Due to prior plans, Frank declines the offer and puts the encounter out of his mind. Matters become more serious when the stranger is found dead and an ESS Agent declares Frank to be the prime suspect of the murder. Frank and Bayta crisscross galaxies as events snowball into a race against the enemy for answers.

I'm sad to say that book two was not better than book one. I had minor expectations of character
Mike
You need to read the first one to understand this one at all. Well, I guess not really, but it wouldn't be anywhere as good if you skipped the first one. ALso, much as I'd like to keep this spoiler free for the first book, I can't, so if you're going to read Last Train To Rigel don't continue reading this.
I really like this series. He has taken a very simple concept "There's a train that moves through space and which has sensors on it to keep weapons off, thus ensuring peace throughout the galax
Anna Tan
I bought this because I remembered Timothy Zahn from some pretty interesting Star Wars books.

Although Third Lynx is a really good book to read, and is also pretty funny as well as complex, I think I am also becoming more cautious about how I rate books. So whilst I did enjoy it pretty much, it's I guess not great enough to say "I really liked it!"

Also, maybe I should start reading first books in series first before jumping into the second book.
Dan
Oct 04, 2009 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signal
This book is an elaborate series of mind games. Basically the way the book works is, the bad guys do X, and then the main character says, "Aha! They did X, because apparently they want Y. But that's actually a cunning misdirection, see, because they would want Z more than Y, and if we respond to X with A then they can do B. So we should pretend to do C, but then actually do D at the last minute." And the amazing thing is he's always exactly right.

I dunno. These sort of mind games always bother m
William Bentrim
Aug 12, 2012 William Bentrim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Third Lynx by Timothy Zahn

Frank Compton, our government whistle blower is back. He has discovered who he really works for and continues his campaign against the Modhri.

The concept of the Quadrail and it’s interconnection of galactic empires is an excellent basis for the series plot. Frank Compton’s co-opting of his employer’s prerogatives and his outspoken and conspicuous behavior gets him into trouble, again.

There is an evolving, albeit glacially slow, relationship with Bayta. Bayta as Fr
Bryan Schmidt
Jun 10, 2010 Bryan Schmidt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this thoroughly. Full of tension and suspense like its' predecessor, Lynx finds Frank Compton chasing another mystery involving the Modhri group mind, the Spiders and the Chahwyn. In the midst of it, he falls in love with the woman he's struggling to protect, comes into conflict with a federal agent, and finds his life once again on the line.

These books are Timothy Zahn at his best: fast-paced action, political intrigue, well drawn characters, and interesting science. Here he's created
Brian Henderson
Mar 31, 2010 Brian Henderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy anything Tim Zahn does, he's one of my favorite and most consistent authors, so it's no surprise I greatly enjoyed The Third Lynx. However, I think that to some small degree, it suffers from "middle book syndrome". There are no huge revelations and no massive introductions, it's just a fun ride using things we learned in the previous book. There's nothing wrong with that per se, it just didn't feel like the overarching storyline moved forward significantly, it was yet another puzz ...more
Thomas
Oct 16, 2014 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish Timothy' Zahn had stayed with this genre. It's the combination of spy story and murder mystery that generates a complicated plot with a lot of interesting and original ideas. It's kind of like James Bond meets "Murder on the Orient Expeess" on an interstellar train. This is a lot more fun than the military SF he started with or than the iStar Wars novels he eventually wrote.
Susan Eschbach
Apr 03, 2016 Susan Eschbach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the entire Quaddrail series by Timothy Zahn. He has a fresh, fascinating approach to interstellar travel and a wonderful mystery woven into the series, as well as a unique alien species. I won't tell you any more. You gotta' read it! (Start with book #1 Night Train to Rigel).
Snarktastic Sonja
Apr 06, 2013 Snarktastic Sonja rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, reviewed
This was a re-read for me. I am re-reading books 1-4 in preparation for reading the 5th and final book in the series.

I have really enjoyed most Timothy Zahn books I have read. They tend to be fast paced and constantly twisting. Yet, this book really frustrated me. Even though this story starts with a bang, I still struggled to get into the story.

There were several twists and turns and you never really knew which way the story was going. However, here it felt as though the twists and turns were
John
Dec 28, 2013 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Following on the events and revelations of NIGHT TRAIN TO RIGEL ex-Intelligence Agent and girl sidekick discover that the evil collective mind Modhri are reconstructing an ancient alien superweapon. Putting paid to THAT scheme involves much gadding about on interstellar trains and help from wealthy allies and guerrilla fighters. Though an adequate thriller/mystery, I'm a little disappointed in the Zahn's treatment of female characters---there are two here, neither taking a very active role in th ...more
Jon
Jun 15, 2014 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As good the first. Entertaining and engaging. This series is shaping up to be a perfect "traveling" read. I mean, it's all about trains, but I mean if I was traveling it'd be a great companion
Brian
Mar 25, 2012 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read the first book of this series, and I'm not likely to go back and pick it up now either.

It's a light spy on the train novel, with the train moved to outerspace for variety. The aliens are your standard odd human in funny skin variety, and the bad guys mildly evil cardboard.

The continuous, repetative moment the main character miraculously figures out the next puzzle ten pages ahead of everybody else gets old and contrived way too quickly for me.

The twist on the love interest thread m
Aerine
Mar 08, 2014 Aerine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
Well, this book went much faster than the first. I had a list of the players, I was clued in on the conspiracy, and well, you know train mysteries are always fun :)
Xeddicus
Spiders had 1600 years to come up with better technology. They need to get cracking with a detector. Make this a whole lot easier!
Starsreader
Jun 02, 2016 Starsreader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent series, super fun and remains light throughout.
Garret Reece
A continuation of Night Train to Rigel, this book is another train mystery/action book that turns pages quickly. A little bit too proud of its ability to play games with the reader, it can be a little unclear as to what exactly is going on, and as always, Timothy Zahn likes to suggest that the character's motivations are more complex than what they actually are.

It's a nice sequel, though, and while it's not a life changing book, that's not always a bad thing. Not quite as good as the first one
Julie Defilippi
Mar 24, 2015 Julie Defilippi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am loving this series. The world and characters are so well developed and the back story is great. Bayta seems to really be developing more and I am looking forward to more of her in future books.
Michael Rutkowski
Jun 14, 2014 Michael Rutkowski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
much like the 1st book in the series this 2nd book is kind of slow for the first 2/3 but the action really picks up in the last 1/3 ! overall, an enjoyable, entertaining read !
Dave
Nov 29, 2010 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up in a discount cart at a bookstore while on vacation. I've read several Star Wars books by Timothy Zahn- all super- and liked the cover. I was not disappointed. This series of books by him spotlights the Quadrail- a means of intergalactic travel and the galaxy it spans. There are several types of aliens encountered with the action narrated by the main character, Frank Compton, a former spy. It's a mystery/spy/sci-fi thriller. Loved it.
Wendy
Jan 21, 2010 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 2010-reads
This second book in the Quadrail series gets off to a slow start since it has to explain major points from the first book, but then it gets into the story proper.

The titular third lynx is a work of art everyone is anxious to get their hands on, in a Maltese Falcon kind of way, but with a revealed significance that makes it more than just a throwaway MacGuffin.

Now I can finally move on to book three, which was the first of the series I discovered.
Moses Operandi
Mar 08, 2008 Moses Operandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readandenjoyed
It seems that whatever Zahn writes, I devour. Frankly, sci-fi is not my forte, but every single book of his I've ever read has been readable, most nothing short of excellent. I have read his Thrawn trilogy more times than almost any other series. The Third Lynx and its predecessor, the Night Train to Rigel, were in the same grain. Excellent, though improbable, and gripping to the end. I eagerly anticipate my next Zahn.
John
Jun 26, 2008 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As you may gather from my list of books, I am a huge Timothy Zahn fan. I don't necessarily keep up on his latest releases, but when I wander over to the Sci-Fi section I immediately go to the Zs.

I was excited to find that he had written a sequel to "Night Train to Rigel". While it was not as good as the first, it was still a very good and fun read. My only complaint is that it was a tad bit short.
Clyde
Sep 21, 2014 Clyde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story continues to be exciting!! This one had me me concerned a few times but we made it!! Looking forward to book three.
John Maberry
Aug 07, 2008 John Maberry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci-fi buffs
Shelves: sci-fi
I might give it a 3.5 if that were available. Mass market is right segment of its catalog that the publisher puts this in. It is a decent sci-fi detective/action story that will keep you entertained without taxing your brain. Which means it will likely sell reasonably well but not be a bestseller. Like most of the genre, character development is fairly thin. Still, I liked it.
Jessica
As with all of his books, but especially the Dragon Back series, well done. There must be a final one after this one now that the Modhri( living coral in walkers) has "seen" (through a walker's eyes) who is behind the Spider's Quadrail. Frank Compton, the main character is very clever, but the Modhri could have something hidden because it is a big time manipulator!
Pokie
Jan 23, 2012 Pokie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This had the fun of the first book, with a few less twists because well, the world the characters live in has already been explained. It's fun, and short. I guess I'm not rating thses that high, because I never got that thrill of excitement where I had to finish the book that night & think about the consequences for days after.
  • The Plutonium Blonde
  • The Devil's Eye (Alex Benedict, #4)
  • One Jump Ahead (Jon & Lobo, #1)
  • Undercurrents
  • Starship: Pirate (Starship, #2)
  • Riders of the Storm (Stratification, #2)
  • DarkShip Thieves
  • Land of the Dead
  • City of Ruins (Diving Universe, #2)
  • Sly Mongoose (Xenowealth, #3)
  • Contact Imminent (Jani Kilian Chronicles, Book 4)
  • The January Dancer
  • Mountain Magic
  • Carpe Diem (Liaden Universe, #10)
  • Rolling Thunder (Thunder and Lightning, #3)
  • The Elysium Commission
  • World Divided (The Secret World Chronicles, #2)
  • Wolf Star (Tour of the Merrimack, #2)
Timothy Zahn attended Michigan State University, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in physics in 1973. He then moved to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and achieved an M.S. degree in physics in 1975. While he was pursuing a doctorate in physics, his adviser became ill and died. Zahn never completed the doctorate. In 1975 he had begun writing science fiction as a hobby, and he bec ...more
More about Timothy Zahn...

Quadrail (5 books)
  • Night Train to Rigel (Quadrail, #1)
  • Odd Girl Out (Quadrail, #3)
  • The Domino Pattern (Quadrail, #4)
  • Judgment at Proteus (Quadrail, #5)