Start by marking “The Dorothy Dunnett Companion” as Want to Read:
The Dorothy Dunnett Companion

The Dorothy Dunnett Companion

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  630 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Here is a lovingly assembled, essential A-Z companion to Dorothy Dunnett’s brilliant Lymond Chronicles and the first five novels in the House of Niccolò series.

Elspeth Morrison has re-created the author’s exhaustive original research, documenting her myriad sources and literary references. Foreign phrases are translated; poems and quotations presented in full; historical f
Published July 10th 2001 by Vintage (first published December 31st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Dorothy Dunnett Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dorothy Dunnett Companion

Mollie *scoutrmom*
Dec 17, 2011 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Dunnett
This work is not meant to be read page by page. It is more of an encyclopedia for those of us who have read and loved Dorothy Dunnett's work without a classical education and wished we knew more of the history of those times or the references and sources for the myriad quotes the renaissance educated characters bantered and batted back and forth like a tennis ball. The biographies of those characters who existed run from a paragraph to a couple of pages. Poems and prose quotes are not just cited ...more
Eric Blank
Sep 20, 2010 Eric Blank rated it liked it
Pretty neat once you've read all the books it covers. Confusing until then. Capable of single-handedly scaring away anyone with dreams of becoming a writer. How the heck did Lady Dunnett learn all that stuff? At least with science fiction the authors get to make up the quotes, etc.

I keep it in the guest bathroom to intimidate visitors, along with "Bunny Suicides."
sarah
Apr 13, 2012 sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Quite handy for those of us who don't happen to know French, Latin, Spanish, AND Middle English which I imagine is most people.
Siria
Nov 02, 2008 Siria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, history
An excellent, if hard to find, companion to Dorothy Dunnett's novels. Part of the richness of the Lymond and Niccoló series is the sheer wealth of literary and historical allusions—most of which escape the modern reader. This book is invaluable if you want to increase your understanding of Dunnett's subtleties.
Slmcmahon
Oct 22, 2011 Slmcmahon rated it it was amazing
a helpful guide to the Lymond Chronicles and the Tales of Nicolo.
Sarah Swofford
Sep 11, 2014 Sarah Swofford rated it it was amazing
I read the Lymond Chronicles, then I bought the companion book and read it again. Amazing.
imngrer
Dec 03, 2011 imngrer rated it did not like it
Disappointing. I am so glad I ordered this through the library and didn't buy it.

I just contains a very short paragraph on the people and events that turn up in both series. I found I was better off with the Larousse Medieval and Modern Encyclopedia of History. Admittedly this was written in the days before the Internet when things were not quite so easy to look up but still.
Onni
Dec 22, 2013 Onni rated it it was ok
The information presented is good, but so haphazard (some references are present, while others are missing for no apparent reason) that you still need to read Dorothy Dunnett with your French dictionary, Latin dictionary, sometimes a German and Spanish dictionary, and most necessary of all, your Oxford English Dictionary!
Elizabeth
Aug 06, 2010 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Very helpful for quotations in foreign languages, obscure literary and historical references, and the appreciation of other little "gems" that might escape even the most devoted 16th century historical fiction buff.
Stephanie
Jun 25, 2010 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
There are actually TWO companions to Dunnett's books (unless they've been combined lately) and they are absolutely indispensable for reading Dunnett.
Rebecca Huston
Aug 04, 2010 Rebecca Huston rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keepers
This one, and the companion volume II, are really necessary to help some of the more obscure points of Dunnett's writings. It's worth it though.
Karen Stone
Apr 09, 2012 Karen Stone rated it it was amazing
a great book to have by your side when you delve into Dorothys world, all those quotations and half declaimed poems! All here!
Yati
Mar 09, 2009 Yati marked it as reference
Perhaps one day I will read this cover to cover. Perhaps. It's certainly a very useful reference to have when reading DD's books!
Kathleen
Jul 16, 2009 Kathleen rated it liked it
Shelves: series
Normally I wouldn't recommend purchasing something like this, but I found myself turning to it again and again.
Kate
Mar 21, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone reading Dunnett
Essential, unless you are incredibly well read. Will add to your enjoyment of an already phenomenal series of books.
Jayjay Sanson
Oct 10, 2013 Jayjay Sanson rated it liked it
Shelves: reference
Finally! A little light shed on some of the more obscure elements of the Lymond/Niccolo series! Sanity saved!
Karen
Jan 04, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it
Really handy for deciphering Dunnett. Just wish that the two volumes were merged into one.
Joan
Jul 15, 2012 Joan added it
Good reference to some of the obscure references Lady Dorothy Dunnett makes in her books.
Ginny
Mar 14, 2012 Ginny rated it really liked it
A wonderful companion to help translate all those esoteric references in Dorothy Dunnett's books.
Dandie
Apr 08, 2015 Dandie rated it it was amazing
Very useful and enlightening reference to the works of Dorothy Dunnett
Valerie
Aug 20, 2015 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dunnett
Helpful with history and events in the Lymond Chronicles and House of Niccolo.
Rowena
Jul 07, 2008 Rowena rated it it was amazing
You don't need the companions, but it certainly helps.
Nicole
Nov 21, 2008 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
This book really helps track the facts and the geography.
Jen
Jul 23, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing
Essential to know all about Lymond.
Judy Chapman
May 20, 2012 Judy Chapman rated it really liked it
Great guide to the Lymond Chronicles!
Liza
Jul 18, 2009 Liza rated it really liked it
invaluable for Dunnett fans.
Barbara
Aug 24, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
Lymond research made easy.
Rosina
Rosina rated it it was ok
Apr 26, 2016
Helen McGowan
Helen McGowan marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
  • To Lie with Lions (The House of Niccolo, #6)
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • Ring of Fire III
  • The Venetian Empire: A Sea Voyage
  • Man Walks into a Pub: A Sociable History of Beer
  • My Just Desire: The Life of Bess Raleigh, Wife to Sir Walter
  • The Age of Louis XIV (The Story of Civilization, #8)
  • The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors: Recipes You Should Have Gotten from Your Grandmother
  • The Heaven Tree Trilogy