Start by marking “Practicing Resurrection: A Memoir of Work, Doubt, Discernment, and Moments of Grace” as Want to Read:

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  26 reviews
In the highly praised memoir Things Seen and Unseen, Nora Gallagher reflected on a year of spiritual renewal and the fact of mortality with uncommon wisdom and grace. We rejoin her in Practicing Resurrection as Gallagher searches for direction in the wake of her brother’s death. A desire to reclaim her own “wild life” and a sense of the sacred in the world compels her to a ...more
Published January 6th 2004 by Vintage (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Practicing Resurrection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practicing Resurrection

Patty
I had hoped that I would get to hear Nora Gallagher last year at the WomanKind conference that I went to. She was supposed to be the keynote speaker. Unfortunately, she was sick and we got Anne Lamott instead. I love Anne, but she had spoken two years before. I did take the opportunity to buy Gallagher's book.

A year later, I finally sat down to read it. Timing is everything. I wonder about the ordination process occasionally but I believe my role in the church is as laity. Gallagher's story was
Kimberlie
This book beautifully describes in unsentimental language Nora's three year process of deciding whether to become a priest or not. Key to her decision is a small group of trusted church friends who serve as her discernment committee. The group's intimacy, honesty and support are to be longed for. In the process of discernment, Nora's beloved brother dies and her marriage is challenged.

This is a reality-based memoir of what it's like to be called, to respond, to question and to live in the margi
Wayne
Wow, Nora Gallagher was a hot mess before she found her way back to church and God. In her previous book, Things Seen and Unseen, she mentions spending many worship services in tears and not really understanding why. But as someone who also took a several-year hiatus from church, I understand why because I, too, lived it. Practicing Resurrection is as much about her discernment process and what she felt was a call to the Episcopal priesthood as much as it is about her coming to terms with the ot ...more
Kasey Jueds
While I didn't love this book quite as much as Things Seen and Unseen, it's still smart and moving and wonderful. It's a sequel memoir that deals with both the death of the author's brother, and her struggle to figure out whether or not she wants to become a priest. Again, I loved rediscovering it--both her books are worth reading and rereading, they are so full of depth.
Janet Daniels
Nora Gallagher chronicles her "year of discernment" for the Episcopal priesthood. Reflecting on her personal experiences, she describes her choice, once she has been approved to attend seminary to be ordained.

This is a great illustration of the discernment process at work. Listening for call and discerning where it leads is no simple procedure.
Elizabeth
Beautiful stories. Frequently made me cry.

Gallagher is discerning a vocation from the priesthood in the context of the Episcopal church, so some of it is strange to me whose church home is a radical queer Methodist church (and whose secondary church home is a UCC church) -- reading the book I sometimes retort, "You don't have to be ordained to do that! _I_'ve done that!" I feel confident that I'm not Called to ordained ministry (at least not right now -- I'm allowing for the possibility that thi
Judy S
Just read this book for a second time and I know I'll read it again. So many wonderful passages that I wish I could memorize. An honest and moving bood.
Diana
I really struggled with the first half of this book. Someone I like recommended the author, and I ordered the book from the library, not knowing that a significant part of the book focuses on her discernment of call to Episcopal priesthood. I cringed in some places, nodded in others, and by about page 160, was glad I'd held on.

So much of her book is more about Church than about God-- and she wrestles with the way priesthood can often be about profession and power, rather than about God. I respe
Julia
Moving at times, this book details Gallagher's year of discernment around her sense of call to the priesthood. There are some deeply profound moments in here as she describes her understanding of the Eucharist and her emotion around her brother's death. There are also some moments that fall very flat. Gallagher struggles with vulnerability and the sensitive reader will feel her holding back, when you most want exposure. How much truth does a reader have the right to ask of a writer?
Kari
I love Nora Gallagher. This is a book about grief and discernment. The first half felt familiar, like I had perhaps read it before, but the second half felt wholly new to me. A beautiful story about how life continues after loss, about participating in the work of God and the church, and the renewal of a marriage. Recommended for: people who like to think about vocation (whether that’s explicitly in church work or not).
I found this book surprisingly accessible to someone who knows little about the Episcopalian discernment process. Nora Gallagher managers to write about her experience in the church without sounding too Jesus-y, and her candor--about everything from her use of cocaine to the fact that she froze when asked to answer the question "I have never engaged in any unusual sexual practices"--was refreshing.

Kate Davis
Not very well organized, and not really all that interesting. The book pretty much concludes with "and then I realized I should write something that bridges the ordained and lay ministries," but that's not a thing she actually accomplishes in this book. Is this ENTIRE BOOK a prelude to her next? Obnoxious.

Not that there aren't some good gems in there. Just, as a whole, disappointing.
Kathleen
Sep 20, 2008 Kathleen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: I would definitely NOT limit recommendation only for those seeking discernment within church
This well written book about Nora's discernment process, not only regarding the priesthood, but of her call day-to-day, rang very true to me. She is thoughtful and passionate, serious and light hearted. Her ability to see the big picture is excellent, and I agree with much of her thoughts about the church and its process.
Elizabeth
I gave this book to my brother as he was embarking on a cross country trip, and he said he read it aloud to his partner and cried all the way to Canada. This is a book about the spiritual path, about family,place, vocation. New Mexico. Death of a beloved sibling. Discernment and call. Nice writing. Highly recommended
Katlet
This is the second time I read this book and I loved it just as much as I did the first time. I enjoyed Nora Gallagher's process of discernment as she tried to figure out whether she was called to be a priest in the Episcopal church. I loved the idea of vocation, or calling, as a broader experience that we all might have.
Chadwick
The most powerful and unforgettable books I have read this year. Given to me unexpectedly by an extraordinary man, I connect with Nora's discernment...her exploration of personal death, resurrection, ascension and liberation. A not oft-talked about book, but it will endure for many years.
Carol
This book is written about an Episcopal woman trying to discern whether or not to become a priest, but her insights are far more universal and really raise questions about what vocation is for any one of us.
Kathy
ya, must have been good, I took notes, highlighted, put pages numbers in the back for future reference and even found an image for my brother's wedding sermon.
Amy Young
I like spiritual memoirs and hadn't known much about the discernment process to become an Episcopal priest. I will say I found it a bit tedious in parts.
Emily
This was okay. Really, just okay. Very well written, but she annoyed me some and I can't exactly say that it really went much of anywhere.
Mary
Loved the info about the discernment process and the combination of her brother's death with the discernment process.
Anne Mcarthur
Memoir about a woman's journey into ministry. Blandly written and failed to "capture" me. Disappointing.
Christine
One of those books they give you to read when you're "in discernment"
Adriane
The second half was much more interesting and enjoyable than the first.
Marcia Call
Nora Gallagher has a lot in common with Sarah Miles and Anne LaMott.
Rick
Thoughtful, encouraging view of life and spirituality.
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Hannah Wilkes
Hannah Wilkes is currently reading it
Nov 19, 2014
Kaleb
Kaleb marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
  • The New Christians: Dispatches from the Emergent Frontier
  • The Solace of Fierce Landscapes: Exploring Desert and Mountain Spirituality
  • An Altar in the World: A Geography of Faith
  • The Spirit of Food: Thirty-Four Writers on Feasting and Fasting Toward God
  • Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White: Thoughts on Religion, Morality, and Politics
  • Proverbs of Ashes: Violence, Redemptive Suffering, and the Search For What Saves Us
  • Speak What We Feel: Not What We Ought to Say
  • Following the Path: The Search for a Life of Passion, Purpose, and Joy
  • Life with God: Reading the Bible for Spiritual Transformation
  • Spiritual Direction: Wisdom for the Long Walk of Faith
  • A Whole New Life: An Illness and a Healing
Things Seen and Unseen: A Year Lived in Faith Moonlight Sonata at the Mayo Clinic Changing Light: A Novel The Sacred Meal: The Ancient Practices Series Patagonia: Notes from the Field