Eating Ice Cream on the Subway

Eating Ice Cream on the Subway

2.88 of 5 stars 2.88  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  14 reviews
"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men." Most people know what they'd like to do when confronted with violence, but what really happens when they come face to face with the worst society has to offer? In this short, powerful story, when a man witnesses a hateful, homophobic bashing on the subway, his response might hit a little too close to home...more
Published 2011 by JMS Books LLC

To ask other readers questions about Eating Ice Cream on the Subway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eating Ice Cream on the Subway

Nancy
It was a bad idea to read this story just before going to sleep. Finding it on my Kindle and having no idea what it was about, I imagined it might be a sweet story about people...eating ice cream on the subway.

It wriggled its way into my subconscious, disturbing my dreams and making me glad I left New York, no longer having to deal with the crazies who ride subways.

This brutal, disturbing and shocking story really packed a punch. It’s not about crazy or disturbed people at all. It is about one...more
Tara
There is a television show here called What Would You Do?. Basically in a contained like a store or a restaurant the show would set up a situation and see how people react. There is one at a restaurant where the guy is being obnoxiously rude to the waitress and someone intervenes. Another has an African-American woman in a high end shop being followed then asked to leave by shop employees, and other with a clearly abusive man out with his girlfriend. Some people look around uncomfortably and try...more
Ashley♥Alexis
really? I wish I could regain those 4mins of my life it took to read this. I think I understand where the author was trying to go with this but it just needed to be developed more.

Side note: I read the story without reading what it was about and i think i may have understood it all a bit better if i had read the synopsis before reading it.
Desert Rose
A free short story about a violent incident on the subway, and the reaction of a bystander.

What would you do if something like this happens to you?!

I didn't like anything about it!
L-D
I hear and understand the statement this story is making. I also see that the author is trying to be simple and direct, but I still think this could have used a little more development.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Awful awful awful... seems more anti-gay and is only 1 and a half pages. Can't believe JMS published this shit
Roxanne
Only when I finished this short-story did I realise that I was holding my breath. It was one of those stories that made things hit home...how messed up society is. It was so effective that it changed my whole mood, I was disgusted. I highly recommend that people should read this, it's very short but very effective. I knocked one star off because it was so short, it had potential to be so much more.
Marcia Carrington
This is a potent short story which is powerful and unsparing despite its brief length. The narration is creepy and spare, letting the reader in on the action as a passive voyeur who can only witness the goings-on. Very well done.
Janet
Literally two pages long, this little story packs a punch. Being an out gay woman, I have been "bashed" once or twice when out with my partner. It's a sickening feeling when you realize you might very well be alone against the world.
Sylvia
Shocking and confrontational. I hope I will never have to witness anything like this. If I do I hope I'll have the courage to do something about it.
Jim
Isabel
"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men.", what else to say?
Kia Shiru
Lovely short story. great piece
Rachel
Dec 31, 2013 Rachel marked it as owned-to-read
Shelves: unread-mm
*downloaded free on ARE
Curtis
Curtis marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
BTina
BTina marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
S.M. Franklin
S.M. Franklin marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Tara Strbo
Tara Strbo is currently reading it
Nov 21, 2013
Cora
Cora marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2013
LoriO.
LoriO. added it
Feb 11, 2013
Beck
Beck added it
Mar 09, 2013
Brooke Parrish
Brooke Parrish marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2012
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2012
Lee Thompson
Lee Thompson marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2012