Start by marking “Eating Ice Cream on the Subway” as Want to Read:
Eating Ice Cream on the Subway

Eating Ice Cream on the Subway

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men." Most people know what they'd like to do when confronted with violence, but what really happens when they come face to face with the worst society has to offer? In this short, powerful story, when a man witnesses a hateful, homophobic bashing on the subway, his response might hit a little too close to home ...more
Published 2011 by JMS Books LLC

To ask other readers questions about Eating Ice Cream on the Subway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eating Ice Cream on the Subway

Nancy
May 27, 2016 Nancy rated it it was amazing
It was a bad idea to read this story just before going to sleep. Finding it on my Kindle and having no idea what it was about, I imagined it might be a sweet story about people...eating ice cream on the subway.

It wriggled its way into my subconscious, disturbing my dreams and making me glad I left New York, no longer having to deal with the crazies who ride subways.

This brutal, disturbing and shocking story really packed a punch. It’s not about crazy or disturbed people at all. It is about one
Tara
Oct 19, 2011 Tara rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, read-in-2011
There is a television show here called What Would You Do?. Basically in a contained like a store or a restaurant the show would set up a situation and see how people react. There is one at a restaurant where the guy is being obnoxiously rude to the waitress and someone intervenes. Another has an African-American woman in a high end shop being followed then asked to leave by shop employees, and other with a clearly abusive man out with his girlfriend. Some people look around uncomfortably and try ...more
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Awful awful awful... seems more anti-gay and is only 1 and a half pages. Can't believe JMS published this shit
Ashley♥Alexis
Jan 05, 2012 Ashley♥Alexis rated it did not like it
Shelves: my-dickreviews
really? I wish I could regain those 4mins of my life it took to read this. I think I understand where the author was trying to go with this but it just needed to be developed more.

Side note: I read the story without reading what it was about and i think i may have understood it all a bit better if i had read the synopsis before reading it.
Desert Rose
Dec 10, 2011 Desert Rose rated it did not like it
Shelves: free-read
A free short story about a violent incident on the subway, and the reaction of a bystander.

What would you do if something like this happens to you?!

I didn't like anything about it!
L-D
Oct 04, 2011 L-D rated it it was ok
I hear and understand the statement this story is making. I also see that the author is trying to be simple and direct, but I still think this could have used a little more development.
✟ℜoxanne✟(Death by ßook Avalanche)
Only when I finished this short-story did I realise that I was holding my breath. It was one of those stories that made things hit home...how messed up society is. It was so effective that it changed my whole mood, I was disgusted. I highly recommend that people should read this, it's very short but very effective. I knocked one star off because it was so short, it had potential to be so much more.
Marcia Carrington
Jan 23, 2012 Marcia Carrington rated it really liked it
This is a potent short story which is powerful and unsparing despite its brief length. The narration is creepy and spare, letting the reader in on the action as a passive voyeur who can only witness the goings-on. Very well done.
Janet
Dec 07, 2012 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
Literally two pages long, this little story packs a punch. Being an out gay woman, I have been "bashed" once or twice when out with my partner. It's a sickening feeling when you realize you might very well be alone against the world.
Sylvia
May 07, 2011 Sylvia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tissues
Shocking and confrontational. I hope I will never have to witness anything like this. If I do I hope I'll have the courage to do something about it.
Mark Rybka-Wachhaus
Apr 28, 2015 Mark Rybka-Wachhaus rated it liked it
Reads like an episode of What Would You Do?. Which begs the question, what would you do if you witnessed this?
Jim
Dec 09, 2012 Jim rated it it was ok
Courtney
Courtney rated it did not like it
Mar 15, 2015
Lorenz S
Lorenz S rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2015
Mori
Mori rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2014
Beth
Beth rated it did not like it
Jan 06, 2015
Sneakend
Sneakend rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2014
Jenny Q
Jenny Q rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2012
Helen Peter
Helen Peter rated it it was ok
Oct 25, 2011
Marie
Marie rated it did not like it
Jul 01, 2013
Emma rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2011
Isabel
Jan 20, 2012 Isabel rated it liked it
"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men.", what else to say?
Meganjoy
Meganjoy rated it it was ok
Apr 27, 2011
Lana
Lana rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2012
Dina
Dina rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2011
Mtsnow13
Mtsnow13 rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2012
Helma
Helma rated it it was ok
Dec 10, 2014
Mandy Beyers
Mandy Beyers rated it it was ok
May 25, 2011
Caleb Blake
Caleb Blake rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2012