What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About(TM): Menopause: The Breakthrough Book on Natural Progesterone

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Arguing that giving estrogen replacement therapy to women after menopause is medically the wrong thing to do, Lee suggests that natural progesterone can prevent most of the unpleasant side effects of menopause, including osteoporosis and weight gain.
Published February 1st 2004 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1996)

Debbie
May 01, 2009 Debbie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: all women 35 on up
Shelves: health-wellness
I'm still reading this book, but so far I'm impressed by the common-sense holistic approach Dr. Lee takes when it comes to treating women who are experiencing change of life and hormonal issues associated with menopause.

I've been having some dermatological problems for about 1 1/2 years, during which time I've been to a nurse practitioner, family practice primary care physician and numerous visits to a dermatologist. I began to suspect my problems were hormonal when the powerful medications, oin...more
Kim
If you are over 30 years old, this book is a complete must-read! Don't let the title of this book fool you...it's not just about menopause...it's about hormone balance. John R. Lee hits on the perimenopause through the way-after-onset of menopause years. He talks about how synthetic hormones, phytoestrogens and xenoestrogens are putting our bodies out of balance thus causing us to go into an estrogen-dominant state. He is a huge advocate of using natural progesterone to correct the estrogen-domi...more
Mary Picard
EVERY WOMAN OVER 30 SHOULD READ THIS BOOK!!
Big news to me - natural progesterone (bio-identical to human) increases bone mass, even in elderly women!!! Estrogen only helps stop bone mass loss for a limited period, but not long-term.

I bought this revised edition (2003) having first dipped into this book years ago. Now facing many of the health issues discussed, and getting very mainstream advice from my own doctors (artificial hormones and/or surgery) I returned to it to get new strategies for ma...more
Michelle
Excellent and very informative book. As a woman unexpectedly going into surgical menopause because of a hysterectomy, it helped me plan for the future and understand the possibilities of what I should do in the future. Until this past year, I did not understand menopause or how hormones may affect me.
kk
Don't let the title fool you. This book should be read by every women. If your feeling blah and don't know why - this book might have the answers.
Rebeca
AMAZING AMAZING BOOK and AUTHOR! EVERY WOMAN EXPERIENCING HORMONAL ISSUES SHOULD READ THIS BOOK. I would also recommend The Hormone Cure by Dr. Gottfried which is a little more current with dietary supplements and diet. Balancing of hormones is complicated and most MD's do not bother to really understand the intricacies of hormonal balancing. If you are taking hormones based on blood work and NOT salivary testing read these books. You can take control of your life and your body.
Toni
This is a must read for any woman over 40. Younger women can read it to get the ADVANCED info on menopause but they may not need it for a while. There is a lot of info in this book that will give you lots to ponder, especially about HRT. Some of it is too technical, so that was scanned, but most of it had some really good, solid info that, if nothing else, will give arm you with questions for your own doctor. I have put into practice some of Dr. Lee's suggestions and am finding positive results...more
Penny
Clearly it has excellent information in it (backed by studies, clinical experience, etc.) including information about pre-menopause, infertility, breast cancer, etc. I learned a lot from reading this book and it has been helpful for my own life. I felt like he did repeat things a few times throughout the book but I did not mind it because I am not an expert on biology so the extra information helped it sink in better for me. Others might find it annoying. Overall the book has excellent informati...more
Jeanne
I read this borrowed book from a friend five years into menopause. I was largely uninformed about what was happening to my body and this book laid out the whole process in a scientific and holistic way. Menopause is considered a disease in Western cultures and is not much of a factor in agrarian or Third World countries. This is due to more natural diets and active lifestyles.

Natural progesterone in a cream is what I will take for healthy bones and other benefits going forward.
Marek
So I know the title has "menopause" in it, but honestly, every woman should read this regardless of whether or not they're menopausal. I learned more about my hormones and their role/function in this book than I have any other way (esp progesterone). This is an invaluable resource and definitely worth purchasing. I've been using progesterone cream for nearly two months now and I cannot emphasize enough how much it has helped!
Susan
Good information...a quick read!
Pat Boldys
This book is not just about menopause, but about achieving hormone balance mainly by using
natural progesterone cream. It really is a must read for anyone over 30! Dr. Lee busts the
myth that we all need more estrogen..this supposed need for more estrogen has been put forth by
the pharmaceutical companies all in the name of money. Shameful.
Martine
According to my doctor I've been in perimenopause for 15 years, so I decided to buy this book (on Menopause) instead of a similarly titled book by Dr. Lee about perimenopause. The content of both books seems the same up to a point. The info presented is easy to understand and the appendix provides resources.
Angel
MAYBE I'll try reading it further down the road. I'm in my thirties and thought it would be a good read but it goes into too much detail. I just wanted to know the symptoms of menapause and how to cope w/ it and medications that work. I now know that natural medication is best.
Debbie Wells
Mar 05, 2007 Debbie Wells rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Any woman in any phase of menopause....pre, peri or menopause itself
This book changed my life completely. I had been going through the rigors and trauma of hormone imbalance and the confusion swirled around me until I read this book. Treat yourself to this one for sure....you won't be sorry!

Kellylou
Every woman on the planet must read this book, regardless of what stage of life you are in! The knowledge you will gain on how your hormones work and how the environment works against you is phenomenal!
Leighnae
Ok, maybe I shouldn't have made this public, but it really is a good book about healthy lifestyles; what we need to watch out for in our diets; and it dovetails nicely with the Makers Diet...
Cindy
This is an interesting book about how progesterone plays into menopause. It also talks about the imbalance we can experience from to much or to little progesterone or testosterone.
Stephanie Hicks
Really interesting, but heavy on the science. Mainly for women going through menopause obviously, but interesting info on how our hormones get out of whack and can be balanced.
Sharon
Jun 21, 2008 Sharon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: all women
This book is an important read to learn about the corruption in the pharmaceutical industry and how it affects all of us in more ways than you would think
Denise Messenger
John Lee has a whole series of book which are excellent in helping women understand their bodies and what happens in the process of aging.
Kelly
Borrowed this from a friend. I didn't read it from cover to cover, but I did find some of the chapters and information helpful.
Leanne
Don't let the title fool you its not so much about menopause but about hormone balance and for anyone over 30
Christine
good information - if you are struggling with hormone balance, it is an alternative worth looking into.
Kimberly
Very helpful. After years of following this advice, I have significantly improved my comfort and health.
Catherine  Mustread
Look for something newer than this '96 edition, but was helpful to me at the time.
Jenny
A must read book if you are interested in bioidentical hormone replacement therapy.
Monica
Nov 19, 2009 Monica marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Monica by: Carol
Shelves: wish-list
Since I'm representing a firm that sells natural progesterone cream I'm learning a lot.
Moreen
If you want other alternatives to a hysterectomy, read this first!!
Connie
Good information for the midlife woman!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause: Balance Your Hormones and Your Life from Thirty to Fifty Dr. John Lee's Hormone Balance Made Simple: The Essential How-to Guide to Symptoms, Dosage, Timing, and More What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Breast Cancer: How Hormone Balance Can Help Save Your Life Our Sleepless Nights: Surviving Katrina and Burying Miss Vera Natural Progesterone: The Multiple Roles of a Remarkable Hormone