Start by marking “The Pariah” as Want to Read:
The Pariah

The Pariah

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  601 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The dead walk the earth—how can they be stopped?

The quaint little seaside town of Granitehead seemed like a perfect place for John and Jane Trenton to start their life together. But disaster strikes, and Jane and their unborn child are killed. John's grief is total, so when he starts to see the ghostly apparition of his wife, he almost welcomes this supernatural phenomenon
Published by Hammer Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Pariah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pariah

Maciek
The Pariah is an obscure horror novel from 1983, a good time for horror fiction. Phantoms, Floating Dragon and Pet Sematary were all published that year; so was The Pariah, but hardly anyone heard about it.

Being a British author, Graham Masterton has somehow never gathered a big following in the USA, despite being as prolific as the two titans of terror, King and Koontz. In his native Britain and Europe he remains a strong figure, publishing a new novel or two every year. Being prolific certainl
Constance Lapsati
Οι βραδινές σκηνές με την κούνια που πηγαίνει μόνη της πέρα δώθε, είναι από τις πιο ανατριχιαστικές που έχω διαβάσει.
Θυμάμαι πως το ξεκίνησα βράδυ αυτό το βιβλίο και με κάθε βεβαιότητα ήταν η πιο spooky νύχτα που έχω περάσει με βιβλίο του Μάστερτον. Το συγκεκριμένο ήταν πραγματικά απολαυστικό. Διότι όταν μπορείς με μία μονο κούνια, τί κοινότυπο αλήθεια!, να γεννήσεις στον αναγνώστη τέτοια συναισθήματα, τότε το΄χεις καταφέρει !
Mark
Sep 06, 2007 Mark rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror Fans
Shelves: horror
I enjoy Graham Masterton's novels.

He does a great job of extending the Lovecraft Mythos in his writing.

In this case, setting is modern day Salem Massachusetts; an appropriately creepy venue.

The novel starts up pretty scary as the protagonist, a man whose wife has recently died in a car accident, becomes haunted by the ghost of his deceased wife. He does some research and realizes that the recently dead are rising in ghostly form to haunt and kill their living relatives.

The reason for the imperfe
Bill
This is the second book by Masterton that I've read but even though there were a few things I didn't like about it, it certainly won't be the last I read of him. This was an earlier publication by him. A few months ago I read Trauma, which was a more mature effort, in my opinion.

But, there was a lot to like about Pariah, as well. This guy really knows how to move a story along without any needless bogging down. And
atmospherically, there were moments, especially early on in the story, where he re
Jane Doe
What a great book! The myths, legends, witchcraft, scuba diving, marine salvaging, antiques and area where he lives is written with wonderful detail to keep you interested without getting boring, he keeps you engaged in how it will all fit together. All the characters are well fleshed out with real life traits, some likeable some not so much. How he deals with the ghost aspect of the story is thought provoking (certainly not Casper). There is out right horror but the subtle horror reaches out sl ...more
Sabrina
One of the most chilling books I've ever read. I will put this book up against any horror book anytime. It is as perfect as the creation of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. The author spares no detail and spins a tale so creepy and so macabre that you will not sleep a wink but you can not put this book down. If you have not read it add it to your library. It is a keeper and great gift for anyone who enjoys the tales of Salem, ghostly visits and hauntings. This is an unforgettable book I read in high ...more
Susanne
Truly impressed with the way the author has melded actual local history with his own mythology. Also, the descriptions of Salem and Marblehead (Granitehead in the book) are spot on.

You want to see an example of the location becoming a fellow character in the story? This is how it's done.

And the excitement/tension/impending terror will keep you on the edge of your seat, not wanting to put the book down.

It's very much like a Poe story -- it may start slow, but you'll find yourself completely cree
Joe
Can you see dead loved ones after they die? In this small Massachusetts town, you can, and no one knows this better than John, who wakes up one windy night to hear the creaking of the swing in his garden. Apparently, it’s a town-wide phenomenon, but few are willing to confess to it and even fewer know about the evil force behind the apparitions.

Maddening. That’s the only word I can think of to describe my first experience with Masterton. He’s clearly an awesome writer, but several elements kept
Michael Brown
You can debate the Lovecraft comparisons, which I tried to avoid as I can't bear Lovecraft. (Pause here for the thunderclap of discontent amongst the Lovecraft fans.) You can even dissect the plot if you like (prefer it if you didn't mind you!) But you'll be forgetting the most important fact of all - It's just such bloody good fun to read.
L.L.
Zdecydowanie kocham. Jest to druga książka Mastertona (po "Zarazie"), która jest moją ulubioną. Znów ten główny bohater był mi pod wieloma względami bliski. Chyba się nawet wzruszyłem przy tej książce ;)
Gareth Pengelly
As a young teen, my reading experience had consisted mostly of Reader's Digest; the young me sitting, absorbing, learning by torchlight long after I should have been asleep. As this was how I was used to reading, when my friend lent me The Pariah, by Graham Masterton, I waited until the sun had set and the room was cast into spectral shades of grey before I opened to the first of its musty pages...

Big mistake.

The Pariah was my introduction to the horror genre. I had never read anything like it
Andy
Graham Masterton is not as successful as messrs king and Herbert but is more than capable of producing 1st rate creepy horror which is what the pariah is.
Jen
I read this book when it came out and it has always stuck with me, so much so that I found a copy online recently and bought it.For me it's a book that I take out every so often and read it again. I've read quite a few GM books and this is my favorite. I love a good ghost/supernatural thriller and this one delivers! GM has a way of creating a very atmospheric read, which to me is the hallmark of a good book and this book has atmosphere in spades!
Arxontia Moustaka
I really enjoyed the book. I did not find it very scary but i liked the characters, the plot and the fact that although it has to do with paranormal entities, the acts of the main characters are realistic and not too heroic. In that way we can easier relate to them.
Apart from that, the writing was good, and given the time the book was written i think its is a very good story of the kind.
 Martyn
It is a great macabre tale. I read it about twenty years ago but it is one that lingers in the soul. Stephen King wrote Duma Key

which is also about a Pariah and a fantastic book in its own right.

two for the price of one, you can't go wrong.
NancyHelen
I am afraid I can't even find words to describe how terrible I thought this book was. It was far-fetched, poorly constructed and the whole premise was just silly. I'd actually probably rate it 0 stars if I could.
Jonathan
This is my 3rd book of Masterton, he is my all time fav along with Straub & King , this story really reminded me of Lovecraft. Despite a "rushed" ending, i really enjoyed this book, i highly recommend it.
Gemma lovatt
One of the best horror stories I've read in a while. Loved it. It is the 1st Graham Masterton book I have read and I will definitely be reading more of his work.
Bandit
Very good book, but not one of my favorites by the author, something about it was bothering me, I think it was the main character. Still, I'd recommend it.
Allie
I didn't finish this book. Much as I've enjoyed other Graham Masterton novels, this one I just couldn't get into
Angie Cavenor
Really enjoyed about three quarters of it but found the end a bit rushed
Kerrie
Really enjoyed this one. A real must read!!
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Krista Duranti
Krista Duranti marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
  • Son of the Endless Night
  • The Resurrectionist
  • Others
  • Sineater
  • The Devil's Heart (The Devil, #2)
  • The Nightwalker
  • Sympathy for the Devil
  • Black Wings: New Tales of Lovecraftian Horror
  • Fears Unnamed
  • Julia
Graham Masterton was born in Edinburgh in 1946. His grandfather was Thomas Thorne Baker, the eminent scientist who invented DayGlo and was the first man to transmit news photographs by wireless. After training as a newspaper reporter, Graham went on to edit the new British menis magazine Mayfair, where he encouraged William Burroughs to develop a series of scientific and philosophical articles whi ...more
More about Graham Masterton...
The Manitou (Manitou, Book 1) The House That Jack Built Mirror Walkers Prey