Start by marking “The Ladder of the Beatitudes” as Want to Read:
The Ladder of the Beatitudes

The Ladder of the Beatitudes

Drawing on stories from the lives of the saints, scripture, and everyday life, Jim Forest opens up the mysteries of the Beatitudes. These ancient blessings, with which Christ began his Sermon on the Mount, are all aspects of communion with God. As Forest shows, they are like rungs on a ladder, each one leading to the next. They appear at the doorway of the New Testament to ...more
Published June 26th 1999 by Orbis Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Ladder of the Beatitudes, please sign up.

John G. I have not read the book yet. I'm 87 years old, I am a very slow reader, and cannot remember most of what I read. Should I start with a book that I…moreI have not read the book yet. I'm 87 years old, I am a very slow reader, and cannot remember most of what I read. Should I start with a book that I will understand?(less)

Jaci
Jan 09, 2015 Jaci rated it it was amazing
Very accessible study of the Beatitudes drawing from Christian (including Orthodox Christian) writings.

p.9: To climb the ladder of the beatitudes, we need to be climbing toward the living Christ, not a dead body or an intellectual concept.
p.34: If you do not travel with him whom you seek, you will not find him at the end of your journey.
p.45: God grant us the gift of tears: for those whom we miss, for our past sins, for the sins of others, for the violence we do to each other and to the world G
Emma
Jun 09, 2011 Emma rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, orthodox
This is a very good book to meditate on the landmark of the Gospel: The Beatitudes. I like Jim’s style very much, the way he has recourse to spiritual authors of the East and the West, as well as literature, interesting people he met, or personal experience, to comment on the Beatitudes and lead us deep into their reality. Whether you are Christian Orthodox, or from any other Christian denomination, it’s good to regularly meditate on the Beatitudes, and this book will do it beautifully for you.

O
Beverly
Sep 08, 2010 Beverly rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The author is a member of the Orthodox Church and he does an excellent job of delving into the mysteries of the beatitudes. He uses the lives of saints, scripture and everyday life to explain the meanings behind the words. I would recommend this to anyone wanting a deeper understanding of what Christ meant when he taught us the beatitudes.

Will
Nov 14, 2008 Will rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
I am indebted to Mr. Forest for giving me a deeper understanding of the Beatitudes, which is to say a deeper understanding and appreciation of the essence of Christianity.
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2011
R. Cunningham
R. Cunningham rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
Momo
Momo rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2012
Theophan Whitfield
Theophan Whitfield rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2015
Dennis
Dennis rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2007
Emma
Emma rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2015
Anam
Anam rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2016
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2015
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Hilary Stephens
Hilary Stephens rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2015
 Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2011
Vince Kuna
Vince Kuna rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2007
Jarvis Xu
Jarvis Xu rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2014
Vanessa Edmunds
Vanessa Edmunds rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2013
Alix
Alix rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2015
Else
Nov 10, 2012 Else rated it it was amazing
Inciteful, engaging explanations of the meaning of the Beatitudes. Very helpful for Bible study!
Randy
Randy rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Friarbabcock
Friarbabcock rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2013
Larry
Larry rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2008
Georgina
Georgina rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2015
Anna Haley
Anna Haley rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2015
Geoff Mackey
Geoff Mackey rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2014
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2010
Lisa Mathews
Lisa Mathews rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2013