Start by marking “The Lazy Environmentalist: Your Guide to Easy, Stylish, Green Living” as Want to Read:
The Lazy Environmentalist: Your Guide to Easy, Stylish, Green Living

The Lazy Environmentalist: Your Guide to Easy, Stylish, Green Living

2.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  113 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
We can't all camp out in old-growth forests, lying down in front of the bulldozers. And it's not only that we're too busy: Some of us just don't want our fabulous threads to get caked with mud.

But that doesn't mean we don't care passionately about the environment. Luckily, the days when becoming environmentally aware entailed eating bread that tasted like dirt, wearing clo
Published December 31st 2010 by Stewart, Tabori & Chang (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Lazy Environmentalist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lazy Environmentalist

Jodie St. Clair
This book is much more focused on what is out their to purchase. The idea that Green living is just buying earth friendly products, not buying less and conserving use. While buying earth friendly is a step in the right direction, it isn't really enough.
Wench
This was basically a list of environmentally-oriented websites, and mostly shit to buy. Which was not at all what I expected from the description or title. Although maybe I should have. It's not a manual for green living. It's more of a manual for assuaging some guilt as you spend more money.
Nicole
Jan 25, 2010 Nicole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skimmed
a little disappointing and maybe not as strict of a view of green living as i'd like. he mostly catalogs retailers/websites that sell eco friendly stuff- from cars to kitchens to accessories.
Mona
Sep 12, 2012 Mona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a collection of resources, conventional and not, this book does its job. Beyond that, not really.
Carl Wade
Pg 18: Several swap site listed but freecycle.org sounds best with local members. Transportation required. Betty's friends do this full time. We could have freecycle at family or church event and less food. Where? out in the parking lot.
Pg 24: Neighborrow.com list items willing to loan, but hjow do you get them back.
Pg 53: White motor scooters get 60 to 80 MPG. There are also electric.
Pg 58: Buses are equal to cars if just 7 people use it. A full bus is 6 times more efficient.
Pg 77: Fourth ener
Brittney Seitgeist
Should had opened the book before I bought it, was basically a *green* consumer guide.
Angel
Aug 20, 2014 Angel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: environmental
A good resource for finding Eco-friendly items for the 'beginner environmentalist'.
Janelle
May 04, 2008 Janelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: consumers who want to explore green alternatives
This was like a consumer reports for being green. Many of the products were designer level or specific to New York or Seattle or California, so didn't really apply to my lifestyle. However, the categories allowed me to skip around to those areas that were more applicable to me and gave me some good ideas. I also found some useful websites.

If green living really interests you I'd instead recommend watching The Sundance Channel's "Big Ideas for a Small Planet." It picks a certain focus for each e
Tamara
Dec 21, 2007 Tamara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: green shopaholics
Shelves: green, non-fiction
This is essentially a shopping guide for being green. Most companies recommended reside in the major U.S. cities, so web shopping is required for us Ohioans. (Except for Wal-Mart. Yes, it does actually suggest Wal-Mart, the "world's largest purchaser of organic cotton.")

I wish it had given $$$$$ ratings, because being green can certainly be expensive. And there were no pics. Always a no-no when laziness is involved.

If you're going to read this one, I suggest reading it within the next year, oth
A
Nov 26, 2015 A rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty much a directory of websites where you could buy "green" household items and things. Lazy? Yes. But not exactly inspiring.
Harmony Wu
Dec 26, 2007 Harmony Wu is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Browsing thru it...it's got lots of good info/links, but its blah-blah-blah overly narrative format discourages the kind of pick up, read, get ideas and implement Stuff I think I need.

Also reading It's Easy Being Green--that's more in line with the kind of encouragement/inspiration I need to get my ass in gear on enviro changes I need/want to make.
Wendy Holcombe
Nov 05, 2008 Wendy Holcombe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enviromentalist
A wonderful resource to help you find just the green item you are looking for. Can't find eco friendly shoes or clothes? this book with help. Need to know more about the hybrid choices? It's in here. How about a green funeral? That's right, you can even find out how to plan a greener funeral with the help of this book.

This is a book that will need to be updated often, but at this date it is well worth the investment.
Kristen
Apr 05, 2009 Kristen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Finally finished this. It isn't really a book to read through, it is more of a reference. Also, it is focused on consumerism only. Expensive consumerism for the most part.
And there is a lot of repeat info, which is an odd waste of pages for a environmentally-focused book.
Wouldn't really recommend this - all the info in this book is pretty much a google-search away.
Missy Stults
An interesting book that provides useful lists of organizations and product manufacturers for a variety of goods and services. The challenge here is that most of the goods identified focus on "stylish" materials. Not necessary the types of goods I was interested in.
Sara
Jul 26, 2007 Sara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: greenliving
Though the premise of the book is good, it doesn't go beyond the very basic material aspects of being green. Much of the information provided is repeated many times and I was unimpressed with the limited lists of sources.
Matt
Aug 26, 2008 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good stuff, might find it gets outdated, but a good resource for businesses and interesting commentary on some of the good design being practiced with the environment in mind.
Krista Bolan
Excellent guide with lots of good links and information to green businesses/organizations, in various categories like sporting goods, clothes, travel, etc.
Michelle
Jul 28, 2007 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to go green
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
This is a great resource!!! Great information! Great resources. This is one I want for myself. Simple things to make green changes. I love it!
Kelly
Feb 07, 2008 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice reference book for making more responsible purchases, only slight concern is that it will soon be dated as we all become more "green".
DD Ramirez
Jul 02, 2011 DD Ramirez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this little book. It's plausible, funny and genuinely clever; one of those books that you say, "hmmm, I can do this."
Corbin
Sep 24, 2007 Corbin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-nonfiction
Focused too much on attracting consumers to a green alternative, rather than changing the consumptive attitude.
A bit like reading a phone book. It's mostly a listing of goods and services by different categories.
Makenzie
this is very interesting if you want or need to know about becoming green, its surprisingly really simple
Megwil
Mar 01, 2011 Megwil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You don't really need to read the book; just go to the website http://www.lazyenvironmentalist.com/
Caitlyn
The go-to guide for information about environmental topics and the resource references needed.
Beth Yeh
I didn't like this book. It just didn't engage my feeling of environmentalism.
Katie
Jul 06, 2011 Katie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's a buyer's guide. Aren't the first two Rs "Reduce" and "Reuse" ?
Bliss
This book was a good list of resources for organic and eco-friendly products.
Anke
Nov 28, 2007 Anke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great addition and cross reference to the Better World Handbook.
Bree
Jun 24, 2010 Bree rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-10
so, so, so not helpful and materialistic.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Green, Greener, Greenest: A Practical Guide to Making Eco-Smart Choices a Part of Your Life
  • It's Easy Being Green: A Handbook for Earth-Friendly Living
  • Easy Green Living: The Ultimate Guide to Simple, Eco-Friendly Choices for You and Your Home
  • The Green Book: The Everyday Guide to Saving the Planet One Simple Step at a Time
  • Living Like Ed: One Man's Guide to Living an Environmentally Friendly Life
  • The Live Earth Global Warming Survival Handbook: 77 Essential Skills To Stop Climate Change
  • Living Green: A Practical Guide to Simple Sustainability
  • Big Green Purse: Use Your Spending Power to Create a Cleaner, Greener World
  • You Are Here: Exposing the Vital Link Between What We Do and What That Does to Our Planet
  • Confessions of an Eco-Sinner: Tracking Down the Sources of My Stuff
  • Green Living
  • Go Green, Live Rich: 50 Simple Ways to Save the Earth and Get Rich Trying
  • GREEN CLEAN: The Environmentally Sound Guide to Cleaning Your Home
  • The Sustainability Revolution: Portrait of a Paradigm Shift
  • The Locavore Way: Discover and Enjoy the Pleasures of Locally Grown Food
  • Ecoholic Home: The Greenest, Cleanest and Most Energy-Efficient Information Under One (Canadian) Roof
  • Clean House Clean Planet