Start by marking “The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8)

The Path of Daggers (The Wheel of Time #8)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  73,818 Ratings  ·  1,125 Reviews

Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, has conquered the city of Illian, struck down Sammael the Forsaken and shattered the armies of the invading Seanchan. Nynaeve, Aviendha and Elayne have broken the Dark One's hold on the world's weather and are poised to retake the throne of Andor. And Egwene al'Vere, leader of the exiled Aes Sedai, marches her army towards the White Tower.

Published May 18th 2010 by Hachette Digital (first published October 20th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Path of Daggers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Path of Daggers

Markus
Usually my reviewing style includes a plot synopsis at the beginning, but through experience I’ve come to the realisation that it’s most often a huge advantage when the book actually has a plot.

This was essentially Interlude: the Book. No plot development, no character development, no setting development, no... development. At all. And you don't need to tell me it gets worse. I know.

The chapters written from the viewpoint of the main protagonists are downright boring. Quite the opposite is true
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

The best thing I can say about The Path of Daggers is that it is significantly shorter than the last few novels have been -- only 700 pages (mass market paperback) compared to the 900-1100 page novels that have preceded it. There is much less of the repetitive backstory. I guess Mr. Jordan finally realized that new readers aren't jumping in at this point.

However, that's not to say that there are 700 pages of plot here, either. For again, most of the pages
James
Jun 28, 2010 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 8 of the Wheel of Time really gets a bad rap. Contrary to common wisdom, plenty happens in this book. The problem, I think, is that nothing gets resolved. (Not having any Mat, especially after the cliffhanger at the end of book 7, doesn't help either.) Is it ridiculous for a fantasy series to still be setting things up 8 books in? Especially when that series was supposed to be 6 books long? OK, yeah, it is. But taken by itself, The Path of Daggers isn't a bad story.

Oddly enough, the story b
Ryan
Oct 26, 2010 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We tend to root for most anti-heroes, but every now and then, authors dare to set a real stinker at the centerpiece of their stories. Sometimes it works.

Logan Mountstewart from William Boyd's Any Human Heart comes to mind. Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer qualifies, I think. And before we certify all shepherds as pure-at-heart heroes, check out Halldor Laxness's Bjartur in Independent People.

But these are all examples drawn from the literary canon. What happens when fantasy, a genre often prone t
Evgeny
Jan 31, 2014 Evgeny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is one of the slowest books of the series. Usually Mat saves the day even when nobody else does anything of value in a book, but this time Mat is not here. This is especially infuriating considering that his plot line ended in a huge cliffhanger in the previous book. Perrin's absence in book 5 is hardly noticeable; Mat's absence here is, especially considering the slow-moving overall plot.

It would be unfair to say that nothing at all happens here. I counted four fairly major events in the b
Phrynne
May 14, 2014 Phrynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and what a great series this is turning out to be. There was a lot more action in this one (which is number 8) and a lot of character development. I am listening to the series on audio book and was quite surprised when it suddenly finished right in the middle of so many major events. Now I have to start straight into the next book. How lucky they are all published and I do not have to wait weeks or even years for the next instalment!
Kaitlin
Dec 08, 2014 Kaitlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I struggled knowing what to rate this book as at first because I didn't live it as much as the previous 2 all the way through and it did seem a little slower in places, however I did think that it was filled with some interesting things and events. In the end I had to rate it a 4*s because it still interested me. I would have like it to be longer (as many have said) and more dramatic at the ending, but overall it was a good addition in the series.

One thing I enjoyed in this book was the return
Richard Bray
I’m starting to wonder if I’ve made a mistake in deciding that I wanted to complete THE WHEEL OF TIME by reading all the books in the series consecutively. With THE PATH OF DAGGERS now under my belt, I’m eight books into the 14-book saga, and I can’t honestly say that I feel any closer to the conclusion than I was three or four books ago.

When I began reading THE WHEEL OF TIME, I was a senior in high school, so I was able to read the first seven or eight books consecutively without having to wait
David
I congratulate everyone who has the perseverance to continue on while envying those who had the force of will to just forget about how this epic story is supposed to end. Here we are at book 8 and like book 7, very little of the main plot actually happens. Most of the book are again devoted to describing in excruciating detail of how the main characters tend to act and think, with very little variation, mostly accomplishing nothing except introduce filler and making characters feel one-dimension ...more
Ivana Azap
Mar 13, 2015 Ivana Azap rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
There wasn't very much of Met in this book (I guess everyone need a break at some point of this looong story;)), so I will reminiscence on some details about Mat, that is the best bloody character I've ever read!!!

Blood and bloody ashes! -Mat Cauthon, all the time

"I read a book once." -Mat Cauthon

“It was a simple truth; the Creator made women so men would not find life too easy.” - Matrim Cauthon

"Yes, I'm alive. I'm usually pretty good at staying alive. I've only failed one time that I can remem
Kyle
Nov 11, 2012 Kyle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wheel of Time series represents, for me, the perfect example of a guilty pleasure in the world of fantasy.

This series is not actually written very well. Robert Jordan was not a very good wordsmith, and he really only knew how to say and describe things one way. His characters are generally unbelievable, and have ridiculous dialogue. The plot is tremendously predictable, and is heavily influenced (close to the point of being unoriginal) by the fantasy works that came before. The whole story i
Allison
A Path of Daggers is the low point for me in the Wheel of Time series. It can easily be summed up as various groups of catty women vying for superiority over each other. Seriously, the first third consists of Elayne and Nynaeve, Aviendha, Birgitte, the rebel Aes Sedai with them, the Sea Folk, and the Kin, all trying to out-do each other on the way to the Farm. Once they get to the Farm, (view spoiler). Th ...more
Skip
Jun 15, 2008 Skip rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Gary
It has its moments

I returned to this series after having given up on it long ago. A big part of the reason I made the decision to do this was the quality of Brandon Sanderson's solo writing. I realized he had finished the series, and thought that if I could just wade through some of these slower paced books I would finally find out how this ends.
That is still my plan, and the attitude with which I am reviewing this book.
There are moments in this story that reveal the author's skill. The charac
Jonathan

There are no beginnings or endings to the Wheel of Time series but there is plenty of room for re-reading. However, unfortunately - at least for myself - this is the point in the series where everything started to become slow. I don't find that it became any less enjoyable, but nothing really happens in this book and in the two following. From books 8 to 10 the material could easily have been condensed into one solid 800 page novel rather than three separate 600 to 800 page novels.

What Robert Jo
Doğan Sakarya
Mar 18, 2016 Doğan Sakarya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Olaylar, olaylar... Genel itibari ile güzel kitaptı. Anlatacak çok şey var ama spoiler olur. Aes Sedailerin gıcıklığı, Perrin'in saflığı ve Rand'ın kestirelemez hareketleri devam ediyor.
aPriL does feral sometimes
Cliffhangers! One after another! I can't stand it! Everybody could die! Not a single thread resolved! Damn you, Robert Jordan!

Usually I write a million words reviewing a book I finished, but not this time. First of all, 'Path of Daggers' is book 8 in a long series. Nothing I write about the characters and the plot will have any meaningful sense. The books must be read in order. If you are curious about 'The Wheel of Time series', the best place to start is with Book 1, The Eye of the World. The
Pedro António
The series' pace is supposed to slow down starting with The Path of Daggers and it surely wasn't exageration.

Overall I feel like an actual quote from the book describes it perfectly: "Weiramon heard him and repeated the same thing, but using twenty times the words, and flowery enough for a garden in spring.". The long, verbose clothing descriptions are back, and so is skirt smoothing and all the recurring traits that prevent the series from being even better than it is.

The pacing is all over t
I'm not sure if it's growing worse or if the repetition of it is finally getting to me, but I can no longer stand how the women in this series are portrayed. They're always in a snit over something, crossing their arms under their breasts, glaring down their noses at those silly men, or bickering with each other. Half the time, I have no idea what they're upset about - and I'm a woman. It's annoying and is seriously detracting from what is a magnificent scope of a story. Although I'm intrigued b ...more
Ed B
Dec 08, 2007 Ed B rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yeah. This is where I stopped reading Jordan's Epic series. Why? It probably had to do with the fact that I was reading them as they came out on paperback--which I was at a rate of about 1 a year until after book #6, then it was once every other year. I have a short attention span, and an even shorter memory. In the middle of this book, I realized that I had so forgotten which characters were which--and what plot line in which they were involved--that I could not identify with them anymore. I di ...more
Greg Strandberg
Apr 26, 2015 Greg Strandberg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Wow, what a great cover! After that, it's pretty much downhill.

I remember when this book came out and looking at it at Waldenbooks. It looked really cool and I prodded myself to get on with this series. At the time I was at Book 4 or so.

I finally did get to this book, after slogging through some of the previous storyline that had seriously stalled. One frustrating element is how some Forsaken are brought back to life instead of staying dead. Of course they have new names, so it's even more diff
Marcos
Dec 22, 2015 Marcos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Talk about a cliffhanger... It's the first book of the series I can remember with so many loose ends, grrrrr...
Overall, it keeps the pace and general atmosphere of the series. I did feel more tension and a greater sense of uneasiness with so many powers at work. Perrin's chapter are nice and a character I thought I wouldn't see again shows up. Not much of Mat... Looking forward for Winters' Heart!
Mike (the Paladin)
I know there will be disagreement here but at this point I could see things sliding down hill. In this volume we tie up one minor plot point...and open up a couple of new ones...meanwhile the other main plot points hang in the wind. For the amount of ground covered, this book had a lot of wasted and repetitive dialogue and description.
Eduarda
Jun 14, 2016 Eduarda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Across the nations the stories spread like spiderweb laid upon spiderweb, and men and women planned the future, believing they knew truth. They planned, and the Pattern absorbed their plans, weaving toward the future foretold."

As tretas iam começar todas ao mesmo tempo e... continua no próximo livro.
Steven Naylor
Mar 11, 2016 Steven Naylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating 4.0

This book wasn't as good as the previous stories. The first 7 books slowly showed Rand getting stronger and gaining ability and power. He has some minor setbacks from time to time but for the most part he made decisions that seemed to work. This did not seem to go his way in this book. There were many setbacks and a lot of his decisions seemed wrong. He was having a more negative reaction to the taint in the power and therefore could not use it as much. Matt was nowhere in this story,
Dux
Aug 10, 2015 Dux rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
SPOILERS AHEAD

"Who would sup with the mighty must climb the path of daggers. On the heights, all paths are paved with daggers."

The Path of Daggers, the 8th installment in the Wheel of Time series. It makes me go crazy how I have already reached this far. Now, this book was pretty good. Honestly, I'd say its a step-up from A Crown of Swords so let's address some topics quickly before covering the major of the major stuff.

1. Mat is not present. Unfortunately, he is absent for the entiret
Igor Ljubuncic
This was one of the first reviews I made here on Goodreads, so time to expand now and add some extra words before slaying you softly with a limerick. As you may have noticed, I'm doing a WoT series of reviews, but we'll get to the others, in due time, leave no book unturned, leave no author unmolested.

The thing is, alongside book 7, this was probably the worst of the series. I read it many years after the original four books, but while I remember those clearly, I have no idea what happened here.
David
Nov 05, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably only a 3 and 1/2 stars book for me, but I'll tip Robert Jordan the extra half star for the series as a whole being so engrossing this far.

SPOILERS

I enjoyed many things about this book, particularly with the various competing interests across the Wheel of Time world seemingly plotting and scheming and lining up for control of, variously, Rand, the Amyrlin Seat, The White Tower, The Black Tower, Andor, and Cairhien. Once again, Jordan threads numerous tales together through the b
Ward Bond
Jun 25, 2012 Ward Bond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SUMMARY:
"Robert Jordan has come to dominate the world Tolkien began to reveal."--The New York Times The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time. THE WHEEL OF TIME Book One: The Eye of the World Book Two: The Great Hunt Book Three: The Dragon Reborn Book Four: The Shadow Rising Book Five: The Fires of Heaven Book Six: Lord of Chaos Book Seven: A Crown of Swords Book Eight: The P
Susie
Oct 13, 2015 Susie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susie by: Vincent Van Dyck
Shelves: fantasy, borrowed
I think that perhaps I may be over generous in giving this four stars, but it did have some good points. As many others have said, there was no Mat this time to save the day with his wit and humour. It was nice to see Egwene getting along and improving, along with the other two “girls” (yes, they’re no longer girls now, are they?! Amazing how quickly they’ve grown throughout the books). The battles were good, but lacked some of the impressiveness of the previous ones(view spoiler) ...more
  • Blood of the Fold (Sword of Truth, #3)
  • At the Gates of Darkness (The Demonwar Saga, #2)
  • Sorceress of Darshiva (The Malloreon, #4)
  • Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)
  • The Bonehunters (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #6)
  • Destiny: Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3)
  • Fire Sea (The Death Gate Cycle, #3)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to
More about Robert Jordan...

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)
  • Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10)
  • Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time, #11)

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose above the great mountainous island of Tremalking. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.” 71 likes
“A secret spoken finds wings.” 21 likes