Start by marking “Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time, #13; A Memory of Light, #2)” as Want to Read:
Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time, #13; A Memory of Light, #2)

Towers of Midnight (The Wheel of Time #13)

4.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  88,986 Ratings  ·  2,173 Reviews
The Last Battle has started. The seals on the Dark One’s prison are crumbling. The Pattern itself is unravelling, and the armies of the Shadow have begun to boil out of the Blight.

Perrin Aybara is haunted by spectres from his past. To prevail, he must find a way to master the wolf within him or lose himself to it for ever.

Meanwhile, Matrim Cauthon prepares for the most dif
Published January 31st 2011 by Orbit (first published November 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Towers of Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Towers of Midnight

Zach
Dec 22, 2013 Zach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Ta'veren Tavern
A one-act play by Zach

(The Ta'veren Tavern, a passably nice watering hole with very few patrons. The architecture of the room, indeed of reality itself, seems to bend and warp to center on the three young men, RAND, MAT, and PERRIN, sitting at the bar.)

RAND
Well, you two have to at least admit that Towers of Midnight is the most action-packed book in the whole series.

MAT
No question there.

PERRIN
I won't argue the point. You're talking to the guy who spent four consecutive books s
Markus
I read this book on a train ride from St. Pancras to Gatwick, and a flight from there to JFK. 1245 pages. In a 1-hour train ride and a 7-hour flight.

It was difficult to read while opening and eating the meals served on the plane, and equally difficult to concentrate while the flight attendant was asking whether I was aware there was a video screen as well (to which I politely replied "Yes, thank you." while really thinking "Go away, I'm reading."), but I prevailed in the end.

Wheel of Time review
Duffy Pratt
Jun 22, 2014 Duffy Pratt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
If feels like a different series now. The pace is moving at least three times as fast as the later Jordan books. And that's being charitable. Let's face it. There's a about one hundred pages of Crossroads of Twilight where the sum total of the action was that Elayne took a bath. There are seemingly endless stretches where Jordan would devote a page or two to an Aes Sedai raising an eyebrow -- or worse, almost raising an eyebrow.

On top of that, the emotional range of the characters has expanded g
Mike (the Paladin)
****** Prelude to the actual review and doesn't need to be read before the body of the review ********* : originally reviewed Nov.2010. Updated Dec. 2014.

I'm about a third of the way through this book and I've got to say that while there are some wonderful moments, Sanderson is carrying on Jordan's tradition of beating a subject or plot point not only to death but till it falls apart and starts to stink!

I am heartily sick to death of Perrin's self flagellation and flat refusal to accept ANY rea
Evgeny
Apr 04, 2014 Evgeny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Final rating: 3.5 stars.

This book has two very different parts which divide it exactly in the middle.

The first part: nothing at all happens. Yes, you read it right: the first 50% of the book make Crossroads of Twilight - which is considered the slowest Jordan's book - look like a non-stop action thriller. I just finished reading this one and cannot recall any event of some significance whatsoever.

The first chapter returns to POV of a lowly and completely irrelevant farmer who provided a ride to
Paul Schulzetenberg
There's no question now, after this second book, that Brandon Sanderson has fully taken Robert Jordan's style and done what Jordan himself was having great trouble doing: progressing the story, and yes, even wrapping it up. And this climax is fulfilling all the promise that the series has had during its best moments. Finally, we get the denouement that we've been waiting for. Characters are finally coming into their own, and showing real growth rather than the stale stubbornness that was becomin ...more
Kaitlin
Aug 23, 2015 Kaitlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
So I am drawing ever nearer to the final book of Wheel of Time, which is both baffling and exciting to me. I have been reading these books for such a long time and I have to say that the Sanderson book have certainly made the series sit up and get going again rather than meander around as the Jordan ones did. I love both Jordan and Sanderson as writers, and I am so happy that Sanderson was the one chosen to finish this off because he's incredible when it comes to bringing all of the plotlines ba ...more
Isk
Nov 18, 2010 Isk rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Phrynne
Mar 26, 2015 Phrynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i am enjoying this series so much now that I am racing through them. This is the penultimate book in the Wheel of Time and it is excellent. All of the characters are starting to come together for the Last Battle and they are all developing into rational thinking beings at last. This is no small thing as some of them have been quite unbearable in earlier books. (Actually Elayne still is painful but there is hope for her yet.) Brandon Sanderson has done an excellent job here of taking over the wri ...more
The Crimson Fucker
Do you know about Naruto filler episodes??? They were so horrible that they manage to make me hate a show I actually liked a lot! They grab awesome characters that I loved and put em in retarded situations that had nothing to do with the actual original plot of the show! That got me mad! Mad to the point that I decided to stop watching it… you know maybe that won’t reach anybody here! I mean! I think I have like 1 friend on my friend list who knows what a filler episode is! Maybe I should explai ...more
Danielle
Nov 29, 2010 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2010-read
Tor is apparently refusing to issue this as an ebook. Guess I'll have to see. I like the series, but I won't read large paper novels anymore. I simply don't have the space or the wrist strength for it.

11/20 - Found the hardback in a used book store. Bought it, will sell it again when I'm done, then buy the ebook in a couple years (maybe). Tor will NOT have my money twice (and maybe not at all), and I don't want to support the hardback format. It's so difficult to hold and transport, so it sits o
Shobhit Sharad
It's said that Robert Jordan had planned to finish the series with A Memory of Light as the 12th and final book, and Mr. Sanderson split the book in three. I can't see how Mr. Jordan could afford to tie all the strings together in just one book, keeping in mind the events that take place in the Gathering Storm and the Towers of Midnight.

(There are spoilers ahead.)
As glad as I am with the pace the story has picked up, I don't know if it's ironical to say, the book seemed rushed at some places. F
Ryan
Nov 10, 2010 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Narrative structure is taught in middle school and refreshed in high school. So surely it would safe to assume that it's standard stuff.

Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action.

I'm sure someone's about to correct me.

Before you do, I'll note that when I was a kid, there were five parts of plot. Most textbooks that I come across now list four. And different names and charts are used in different textbooks.

What controls all of this? Tension. Excitement. Suspense? How about conflict? Someti
Steven Taylor
Lori
Nov 29, 2010 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I dreamt I got a serpent ring. Ya think I'm reading this incessantly? You'd be right!

Finished - Seattle had a severe cold front with snow so I had the opportunity to just settle in with this book, which was perfect. Look, admittedly I'm a fangirl of this series, yet how many years has it been since the first? A long long time. As everyone knows the last several books were all over the place, too many characters - instead of focusing on what we had, Jordan just added yet more characters until eve
Peter Krol
Apr 25, 2011 Peter Krol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
If I knew 13 years ago what I know now, I probably would never have begun reading the Wheel of Time series.

It's really fun. It has some terrific ideas. I can't wait to see how it's going to end. I'm committed.

But that's the problem. I don't really have much more motivation to read the series anymore beyond the fact that I'm committed to it.

This book was fun. Some exciting things happened that we've been waiting for for a long time. But it took 500 pages before I felt like the pace of the story w
Allison
I initially skipped over my review of Towers of Midnight because I was in such a rush to get into A Memory of Light. Now I'm finally getting back to it, and it makes me kind of sad that I'm actually finished reading the series and that I've just carried blithely on with my life since then.

The end of The Gathering Storm felt so momentous to me that I was dying to jump into this book. But I had forgotten that the massive scope of this epic meant that other characters needed their chance, and when
Servius  Heiner
Jan 16, 2011 Servius Heiner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't send the mob to my house but... I think it was best for Jordan to go off and die before finishing this series. The series as a whole started off great, but somewhere around book five it went stagnant. Part of the problem was Jordan was dragging his feet the second problem was there was no character maturing. All the main characters continued to act like they did in the start of the series.

Sanderson turns this around with a flare of despair. The characters mature and the story line moves f
Doğan Sakarya
Jul 22, 2016 Doğan Sakarya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Artık siyah ve beyaz taraflar kesin olarak belirlendi. Gri renkte kimse kalmadı desek yeridir. Bir çok soruya yanıt aldık. Ve Tarmon Gai'don başladı...
Dux
Aug 24, 2015 Dux rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
I wonder for the people who were in my shoes, but who had been stuck with this series for two decades. I've only been with this book for three months and I have an odd feeling in the pit of my stomach. Certainly, I teared up many times over the course of this book because it had begun to settle on me that the adventures were ending, that we are approaching the finale of this series. But anyways, you don't wanna hear none of dat yet, so let's begin.

“It soon became obvious, even with9in the stedd
Ivana Azap
Nov 06, 2015 Ivana Azap rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Mat is my all-time favorite author, and I will never-ever stop writing about him!!! :D
“I know you said it didn’t hurt,” Mat said. “But…what does it feel like? The thing you lost?”
She pursed her lips. “What is the most delightful food you enjoy, Master Cauthon? The one thing that you would eat above all others?”
“Ma’s sweet pies,” Mat said immediately.
“Well, it is like that,” Setalle said. “Knowing that you used to be able to enjoy those pies every day, but now they have been denied you. Your frie
aPriL does feral sometimes
‘Towers of Midnight’, number 13 in the ‘Wheel of Time’ series, is a fast-paced thriller! Really! If you, gentle reader, have made it this far in the WOT series, I bet your eyebrows have just struck the hairline on your forehead. No, I have not lost my senses. The pace of events in ‘Towers’ are at a jog, even a run!

Ok, I admit that many of us fans have wished the action picked up a bit earlier than number 12, the book previous to this one, and especially in book 7 to book 11, but it appears that
Carrie (Care)
The Towers of Midnight is a completely different beast than The Gathering Storm. In the 13th instalment of The Wheel of Time series we have a much lighter tone (at times), which surprised me. I think it was needed though after the shadow cast over the last few books. The shadow is still there, but we have a bit of a reprieve from the madness, decay, and darkness that has spread over the world. It seems like the calm before the storm. And this coming storm could be the storm to end it all.

We get
Eric Allen
Nov 14, 2012 Eric Allen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Towers of Midnight
Book 13 of The Wheel of Time
By Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson

A Wheel of Time Retrospective by Eric Allen

Just a mere year after the release of The Gathering Storm Wheel of Time fans were treated to the next book. We hadn't seen a yearly release for over a decade, and many of us, myself included, felt rather spoiled by it. Brandon Sanderson seemed to have worked on this project day and night to get it completed for us. Which is especially impressive, considering he also publ
Julie
Nov 09, 2010 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, hard-cover
No matter how long I've been reading these books (now over 20 years) they hold my attention. I can't wait until the last book comes out and I can read the whole series again and completely. This book combines all the storylines into one. There isn't the usual seperation of storylines. Some of the books just would focus on certain characters, now they are all coming together for the Last Battle. There isn't much on the Seachan but I expect that they will be tied up in the last book as well. I'm s ...more
Bill
Nov 23, 2010 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading the Wheel of Time series in 1989. Twenty-one years ago and, yet, I stick with it. Some people would think I am a glutton for punishment however, books like "Towers of Midnight" serve as a reward for my patience.

Sanderson took over the writing duties for the series in the previous book, "The Gathering Storm" and he took a while to get comfortable with each of the characters which is why I felt the second half of that book was much better than the first. Fortunately he continued
Chris
Nov 23, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm actually pretty torn between a 4 and 5 star rating with this one. There were parts throughout the book where it dragged, where I felt this Crossroads of Twilight feeling of plot going nowhere. But those parts were relatively short, and the good parts. Wow. When it was good, it was really good.

So the penultimate volume in The World of Time is here to set up the grand finale. Does it do this? Yes. It brings some plotlines to a close and sets up the action for the Last Battle, that end of time-
Alex Ristea
Oh my, here we are. The story is almost complete.

I've been fortunate enough to read these books straight through without an agonizing wait. Still, it's a long haul: 13 books, almost 4 million words, and 11,000 pages.

Totally worth it.

Towers of Midnight was very much a "set up" novel, where most of the pieces are put in place for a final confrontation. I loved that Brandon Sanderson is finishing up the series (he's the reason I picked it up in the first place), and I cannot wait to see how everyth
Sean O'Hara
Why do I abuse myself like this? After giving up this damned series after book eight or nine, I stupidly decided to give it another shot now that there's hope that it will end within the foreseeable future. Waste of time. The plot is rushed -- after five books of nothing happening, the plot is rushed! -- the characters are more annoying than ever, even the ones who are normally tolerable like Mat, and the writing is even more hackish than usual.
Chad
Nov 09, 2010 Chad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Wheel of Time has been my constant companion through life since I was about 13 years old. I can still remember the sense of wonder the first book brought me way back when. I have read, and re-read the series countless times, growing up with my favorite characters, Rand, Perrin, Mat, Egwene, Nynaeve, Faile, Gaul, and so many more. The series had lots of ups and downs, and waiting years between each book was sometimes difficult, especially as storylines became so fragmented little action was p ...more
  • Dust of Dreams (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #9)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6)
  • Shadowheart (Shadowmarch, #4)
  • Percepliquis (The Riyria Revelations, part #6)
  • Imager's Challenge (Imager Portfolio, #2)
  • The Warrior Prophet (The Prince of Nothing, #2)
  • A Betrayal in Winter (Long Price Quartet, #2)
  • Worldbinder (Runelords, #6)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to
More about Robert Jordan...

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)
  • The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10)

“If you wish, you may call me Rand Sedai.” 15 likes
“I wonder if,” Nynaeve said, “we sometimes put the White Tower —as an institution— before the people we serve. I wonder if we let it become a goal in itself, instead of a means to help us achieve greater goals.”
“Devotion is important, Nynaeve. The White Tower protects and guides the world.”
“And yet, so many of us do it without families,” Nynaeve said. “Without love, without passion beyond our own particular interests. So even while we try to guide the world, we separate ourselves from it. We risk arrogance, Egwene. We always assume we know best, but risk making ourselves unable to fathom the people we claim to serve.”
14 likes