Start by marking “Visatoarele” as Want to Read:
Visatoarele

Read Book* *Different edition

Visatoarele

The year is 2005. The Congress has just approved the war in Iraq and many New Yorkers are fed up with the American Dream and thinking of fleeing the country. Kitty Roman is one of them. She is disenchanted with the superficiality of the news industry in which she works, and in love she suffers from the malaise of her generation, the fear of landing and settling down. She ...more
Published 2008 by Polirom

To ask other readers questions about Visatoarele, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Visatoarele

Lisa
Jul 01, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-reviews
This book is written from a different perspective, I found the author's writing style to be interesting. Kitty ends up going to California with a new friend and what follows is a comedy of errors. I found Kitty to be an intriguing character but Desert Rose was somewhat annoying. It didn't stop me from enjoying the book, however. The only problem I had was the use of hyphens when it wasn't necessary, it was a little distracting. Other than that I found it to be an intriguing read.

* I received a c
Sergiu Pobereznic
Mar 31, 2015 Sergiu Pobereznic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
amazon.com/author/sergiupobereznic
This is the story of a Romanian immigrant, Kitty, who had been pursuing her dream in America, "The American Dream", as it is so often referred to. The belief that each individual can, through hard work and strength of mind, achieve anything the heart and mind desires.
But her dream has become a distant ghost. She has ended up in the rut of 'real' life, which seems to have left a bitter taste. She decides to leave it all and return to the place she knows best...
Nadyne
First sentence: "Most times when I'm out on a date, I feel like an actress on stage giving a great performance in a second-rate theatre."

P. 99: "What if Kitty had been born in that village and lived Ana's life?"

Last sentence: "Heaven, it's good to be home."

Summary (Amazon):

Bucharest, 32 year-old Kitty finds the American dream different from what she'd imagined and her life in Manhattan lacking purpose. At the beginning of the year she quits her job as a crime reporter, dumps her boyfriend and p
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Jul 01, 2014 Meg - A Bookish Affair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2011
Kitty, an immigrant from Romania who has been in the States for quite awhile, is in search of the much storied American Dream. A chance meeting with an Iranian artist who calls herself Desert Rose confirms for Kitty that obtaining the American Dream may not be that out of reach. Desert Rose isn't so sure of that herself. They'll travel from NYC to LA in search of their different ideals of what the American Dream is supposed to be.

I really enjoyed this book. I think everyone who lives in this co
Am
Dec 18, 2012 Am rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
People who like COELHO and RUMI, will like DREAM JUNKIES
Like Coehlo's Alchemist which was based on Rumi's poem In Baghdad Dreaming of Cairo, in Cairo Dreaming of Baghdad, Alexandra Ares's first novel, Dream Junkies is based on another Rumi poem, Gamble Everything for Love, with a few nice touches reminding of the poem In Baghdad dreaming of Cairo; there are two chapters On the West Coast dreaming of the East Coast, and On the East Coast dreaming of the West Coast.

In this huge online book store
Gina Basham
If I had realized this book was by the same author as "My life on Craigslist" I would have passed. While there were funny parts it was so fantastical it was ridiculous. I grew up in California so I loved the descriptions and enjoyed reading about my home town. However, the constant assistance by rich men was ludicrous. The rescues by rich handsome men can only be imagined by someone with an over sized ego that feels these things should have happened to her. The character Desert Rose was beyond ...more
Clara
Dec 12, 2012 Clara rated it it was amazing
Mi-a placut foarte mult, deosebita si fascinanta. Are parti amuzante, de comedie, parti care te pun pe ganduri. Am inceput sa o citesc fara mari asteptari si am fost placut impresionata. Rareori imi place o carte suficient de mult incat sa o termin, desi e recomandata de critici, sau sa o recomand.
J.
Jul 01, 2014 J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rarely write reviews, but I found ths very original. It has literary romance, mystical poetry, road trip romp, comedy, lots of drama, tons of food for thought, and quite a few outrageous social pointers! One chapter is called a Communist in Beverly Hills, another on is titled A Mathematical Formula for Cheating, with advice from Mark Twain. Loved it. Quite a reading.
Simona
Apr 15, 2015 Simona added it
This was one of the worst books I have ever read.The story is good, but it was bad written.
Didn't liked it at all.
Roxana
Roxana rated it liked it
Larisa
Larisa rated it really liked it
Cristina
Cristina rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2012
Sara ✨
Sara ✨ rated it it was ok
Aug 21, 2014
Iulia Tudoran
Iulia Tudoran rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2015
Maverick
Maverick rated it it was amazing
Seraphina
Seraphina rated it it was amazing
Coffeecup Deea
Coffeecup Deea rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2013
Corina Jasmina Feier
Corina Jasmina Feier rated it it was ok
J.
J. rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2013
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
Alexandra
Jul 01, 2014 Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Seraphina
Seraphina rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2012
Diana Furdui
Diana Furdui rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Larisa
Larisa rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2012
Alexandra
Dec 11, 2012 Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Clara
Clara rated it it was amazing
Traian
Traian rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2012
Am
Am rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2014
In 2011 and 2012 Alexandra Ares came out with three novels and won 3 important indie awards, establishing herself as a highly original new American author. Like Ayn Rand in literature or Craig Ferguson in late night comedy, two of her idols, Romanian-born Alexandra Ares creates her own rules: it's the immigrant experience.

Alexandra Ares is a member of Pen American Center, Dramatist Guild of Americ
More about Alexandra Ares...