Start by marking “Here Come the Girls” as Want to Read:
Here Come the Girls

Here Come the Girls

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,819 ratings  ·  136 reviews
Shirley Valentine, eat your heart out!

Ven, Roz, Olive and Frankie have been friends since school. They daydreamed of glorious futures, full of riches, romance and fabulous jobs. The world would be their oyster.

Twenty-five years later, Olive cleans other people's houses to support her lazy, out-of-work husband and his ailing mother. Roz cannot show her kind, caring partner
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Here Come the Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here Come the Girls

Now, I know there are those of you who'd rather have needles in your eyes than read something like this... but you'll be missing such a treat. I found this book sheer enjoyment from beginning to end - four strong female characters living to the full their cruising experience, getting away from their everyday lives with varying results. The cruising experience is spot on, from the couples who share your dinner table through the trips to shore and the tuneless celebratory serenade in the dining ro ...more
I really liked this book until I got two thirds in and then it became a bit predictable and long winded. The story line with the "old couple" was unnecessary and added extra pages to a book that was already too long.

The author tries to build interest by hinting at things throughout the book but, for me at least, the first hint was enough to give it all away. I found I was then annoyed with some of the characters for being dumb.

None of the characters are stand-out and I didn't particularly care
Rea Sinfield
Shirley Valentine, eat your heart out Ven, Roz, Olive and Frankie have been friends since school. They day-dreamed of glorious futures, full of riches, romance and fabulous jobs. The world would be their oyster.Twenty-five years later, Olive cleans other people's houses to support her lazy, out-of-work husband and his ailing mother. Roz cannot show her kind, caring husband Manus any love because her philandering ex has left her trust in shreds. And she and Frankie have fallen out big time.But Ve ...more
I started this book straight after finishing 'A Summer Fling' and 'A Spring Affair', and loved this one as much as the others. Every time Milly Johnson creates characters that you really care about, and I definitely kept wanting to keep reading, just to find out what happened to the ladies in this story.
I could really picture the cruise ship in my head as Milly described the settings so well.
I finished this book feeling happy, and lighthearted. I am always so hooked into Milly's books, and alw
I have read previous Milly Johnson books, but have to say I won't be going to read one again in a hurry, and if I do read one it will be from the library.This had funny moments, but it was too posh for me especially names like Venice and Rosalind and Frankie and olive! I was told there was a big twist at the end but I didn't see it as a twist because at the end I thought, was that it? I'm pleased to see the end of this book. The book did make me want to go on a cruise.
Maggie Wilson
Absolutely brilliant read, witty, heart rending and compulsive reading. Read this in one go, an absolute necessity to live and breath with the characters on their cruise of a lifetime . Definitely have to read all Milly Johnson's other books now
4.5 CRUISE SHIP STARS for making me laugh.

This was fabulously funny. Lovin Milly Johnson . Four best friends since school all grown up and living through their own traumas. Fortieth birthdays looming and a holiday of a lifetime is arranged on a cruise ship. Loved all the characters I even warmed a tiny bit to David and the Hardcastle's in the end. Loved the northern sense of humour and the banter. Fabulously written as I felt like I was on the cruise visiting these gorgeous places. Now I defini
Denise Copley
This is my first novel by Milly Johnson and will not be my last. I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. Very easy reading and I did not want to put it down, or for the story to end. I loved the storyline following of the 4 girls from teens to adulthood, giving a true to life account of their experiences through their early life into their forties and their ups and downs.

Coming from Barnsley i did enjoy the occasional reference to Barnsley - I thought it was so funny in places and could n
Another excellent read by this author. Light read but not too light. Very funny in parts. Recommend this author if you haven't read her. All this nice stuff said and me Lancashire born and bred.
Book-shelf Shelf
Milly hits every note again, I have to say i loved this book from the begining to end! Every page and every chanracter keeps you hooked with the rise and fall of feelings and issues around them. The different countries that the girls visit are discribed in such a way that the reader could almost feel they are there. The peak views of what is happening at the girls homes keeps the pace of home alive while not taking the reader away from the main action to distract them.

Milly Johnson is one author
Best Crime Books & More
Having read and enjoyed my first Milly Johnson Book ¡An Autumn Crush¡ I was really looking forward to reading another. The front covers of her books manage to catch my attention because they are always nice and bright and look inviting. This one was no different, only this time I didn¡t realise I would enjoy the book even more than the last one!

In the beginning of the book we meet Ven, Olive and Roz. Three women that are complete opposites but are the best of friends. I immediately loved Olive a
Tuğçe Keleş
kitap güzeldi. allaam ne kadar güzel yorum yapıyorum böyle :'( neyse sacmalamadan devam ediyorum. güzeldi ama basitti. konusu, kurgusu, dili herşeyi sadeydi. bazen boyle kitaplar okumak lazım. ama bazen. ben bildiğin aceleye getirdim kitabı. "senden kurtulmak lazım. sırada asude var. hadi bit ya." diye diye okuduğum için böyle hissetmiş olabilirim. ama yazarımız usenmemis cidden her gittikleri yerle ilgili bizi bilgilendirmiş. açıkçası çoğu yer aklımda bile değil şuan. ben o meşhur aşık çiftleri ...more
J.B (Debbie)
Review to follow but excellent!!!
Quite enjoyed this one - another new author for me. Loved the tales of the 4 friends - but felt it ended too quickly - would love to know what each of them got up to after the change in their fortunes. Will be reading more by this author.
Cara Schwarz
Four good friends approaching 40 go on a cruise of a life time ... Each one of them with issues in their lives. As expected, the cruise makes them think about their lives ....

The book started off good but ended up long winded. Honestly, if I had not put in the effort to get 2/3rds way through, I may just have stopped. As the book continued, the characters started getting on my nerves and I just wished the end would come. The writing is not bad, but it is not great. I think the book would have wo
Sowmya Dnavis
Its a nice read, but the book is quite a bit of more pages. I didn't have interest in reading the book further till the girls got on the cruise. Its a drag till then, but later it just got interesting and had me flipping the pages till the last page.

Loved the character Ven / Venice Smith & her generosity of taking her friends on a cruise which she won. And loved the way all four girls stand by each other and try to solve the problems in each others lives.

Manus was a really good man to have p
Mandy Gardner
Absolutely brilliant book..! Loved the characters and the storyline, although sometimes predictable was still captivating!
Leigh Mitchell
Loved this book, I would love for a follow up of the girls and how they are getting on.
Hannah Ward
I love Milly Johnson's books, they always seem to put a smile on my face. I managed to read this book in two days as I was so looking forward to seeing how the girls got on with their cruise. I loved the fact all of the girls had a true friendship and that the problems they had were real life problems. Beautifully written, a lovely summer read. I enjoyed reading about the cruise ship too as I have never been on a cruise. Loved all the characters and really look forward to reading my next Milly J ...more
Katey Lovell
In typical Milly Johnson fashion, Here Comes The Girls drums home the importance of friendship, especially the unique friendship of people who have known you a long time. Roz, Ven, Olive and Frankie are all very different, and I am sure that readers will be able to relate to the characters in this book. My life is nothing like Olive's (thankfully!) and yet I had huge admiration for her- the gumption she possesses is really inspiring.

The cruise ship location is perfect escapism and exactly what
This is Milly Johnson doing what she does best - a fabulously entertaining holiday read! I've read
It's not deep and it won't change your life (unless it encourages you to be a cruise convert!) but it's well written, engaging and brilliant light relief.
Roz, Olive, Ven and Frankie were best friends at secondary school in Barnsley, dreaming of careers, huge salaries, big families and a fancy cruise for their fortieth birthday. Unfortunately, twenty five years later, real life hasn't turned out t
Ruby Tuesday
I have a tendency to read books on quite tragic subject matters, so I decided that for December 2013 I will only read cosy, feel good books and this is where Milly Johnson always delivered.

A tales of four best friends, Olive, Roz, Ven and Frankie who decided as schoolgirls that when they were 40 they would all go on a cruise together. Ven organises it after winning a competition. I loved the descriptions of the places they stopped at, Dubrovnik, Cefalonia, Venice, Gibralter etc. The vivid descri
4.5 Reseña completa ->

Hacía mucho tiempo que quería leer este libro y probar a la autora, y ya puedo deciros que ha sido todo un acierto leerlo justo en este momento, en pleno verano. Porque ha sido una lectura amena y entretenida, fresca, que me ha hecho vivir durante unos días a bordo de un crucero de lujo visitando bonitos lugares, con unas protagonistas que me ha encantado conocer, situaciones cotidianas y sobre todo con un sentido de la amistad en
Lisa (scarlet21)
Milly Johnson once again leaves the reader on a feel good high with this tale of fun frolics at sea.
Olive, Roz, Ven and Frankie are old school pals who 25 years ago made a pact that for Ven's 40th they would go on a cruise....well, that time has come and even though in the intervening years they've all had personal problems and things haven't quite turned out as they might have hoped, 16 magical days on the cruise of a lifetime might just turn all that around.
You can easily relate to all the fou
Lydia Laceby
Originally Reviewed at Novel Escapes

Milly Johnson’s novels have never failed to plaster a smile on my face and Here Come the Girls was no exception. I grinned and giggled away through her latest delight.

I loved all the characters in this novel and rooted for all four girls to sort their lives out in whatever way they needed to. Their problems were all so different and well portrayed that there wasn’t one storyline I was more interested in over the others. I was eager to see what would happen wi
'Here Come the Girls' is a story of four women, friends from childhood, who embark on their dream holiday; a Mediterranean cruise. Each one of them is fraught with their own problems which they all hope to run away from, but end up being forced to encounter head on, and resolve.

Comedic, warm and down-to-earth, Johnson's books are like a hot brew and a bar of Galaxy chocolate. It's that "Ahhh" moment when you curl up in the armchair at the end of a stressful day; the Other Half's gone out, you c
I loved this book from the start.

It starts of with Roz, Ven , Frankie and Olive at school one afternoon looking at the clouds in the sky saying that they will go on a cruise when Ven is 40.

Well Ven is coming up to her 40th birthday and she is close friends with Olive and Roz, but Frankie has moved away due to a falling out with Roz. Ven tells them she has won a competion to have a holiday on a criuse.

All the girls are in need of a holiday Olive is married to David and lives with her mother-in-
Carol Thomas
Great characters, I enjoyed each of their stories and the changes they experienced as a result of their cruise. Sometimes there was too much detail for me as I didn't always need to know what they were eating or drinking but overall I really enjoyed the book. Some moments made me laugh out loud and a couple of times I found tears in my eyes. Definitely worth a read.
Is it bad that I want to go to the U.K. to buy chick lit books? Another great read from Milly Johnson. I have never really wanted to go on a cruise but after reading this I DO!!!! I loved all of the girls and rooted for their happiness!! I'm anxiously waiting for June to read A Summer Fling (trying to keep them in season ;) ). I have yet to read a Milly Johnson that I have not absolutely adored!!!!!
Entertaining feel-good light-reading. A good "beach" read.

25 years after a school-girl promise, a group of 4 women leave their lives behind to go on a cruise. The rest is utterly predictable. They style is lively, the characters sufficiently different to make the story interesting.
  • Katy Carter Wants a Hero
  • The Beach Hut
  • Getting Away with It
  • Welcome to My World
  • Breakfast at Darcy's
Milly Johnson was born in Barnsley, raised in Barnsley and still lives in Barnsley - although she did study in Exeter for four years and emigrate to Haworth in West Yorkshire in the 1980s.

She trained as an actress, teacher, an accountant, a Customer Services and Suggestion Scheme Manager as well as working in a variety of administrative posts for companies dealing with anything from antique furnit
More about Milly Johnson...