Start by marking “Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years (Adrian Mole, #8)” as Want to Read:
Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years (Adrian Mole, #8)

Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years (Adrian Mole #8)

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  3,226 Ratings  ·  235 Reviews

Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years is the eighth book in Sue Townsend's brilliantly funny Adrian Mole series.

Sunday 1st July
NO SMOKING DAY
A momentous day! Smoking in a public place or place of work is forbidden in England. Though if you a lunatic, a prisoner, an MP or a member of the Royal Family you are exempt.

Adrian Mole is thirty-nine and a quarter. He lives in the count

Published (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Adrian Mole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adrian Mole

Melki
Aug 26, 2013 Melki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous-fiction
"...when a woman sighs and you ask her what is wrong and she says, 'Nothing,' do not believe her - there is always something wrong and you must stick at it until you find out what it is."
The wisdom of Adrian Mole, aged 39 3/4

Not much is going right for the Mole man in this go-round.

He's living one wall away from his parents, and they are NOT SHY about sharing their problems.

He's still the favorite confidant of old-age pensioners.

His son is fighting in Afghanistan.

His daughter's obsession with Di
Jan 04, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I started reading The Prostate Years in the midst of an outpouring of Christmas presents, many of which included novels, annuals and book tokens, I was spoiled for literary choice over the holidays, and almost didn't know where to start. However, Adrian has remained my first love ever since the day I picked up my dad's battered old copy of 'The Secret Diary'. He would have to be read first, no questions asked. I hurried through the book feverently, but was hit with bitter disappointment as I ...more
Gemma Scott
Aug 03, 2011 Gemma Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite of the Adrian Mole series. The book where I connected to him most. Unlike other reviewers I've always liked Adrian Mole as a character despite his many flaws but in this book because of the fact he had cancer and because he had matured e.g. he had started to realise he was not the next Tolstoy, I felt more attached to him and really wanted him to pull through and things in his life to go right. I also enjoyed reading about Bernard, the alcoholic booklover, who plays a greater part i ...more
Ben Baker
Apr 16, 2014 Ben Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't deny I've been putting off finishing this one for a while now. Despite its excruciating romantic plots, "...Mass Destruction" once again left Adrian happy and loved. A few years on and reality has come crashing back in with a strained marriage, stroppy daughter, mooching half-brother, son still fighting the Taliban and a failing bookshop pushing Mole back to the safety of his diaries. Things still manage to get worse when Adrian becomes ill. Funny but painful, like it was happening to a ...more
Christopher Spalding
Very disappointed to note that Adrian Mole, who was always a year older than me, has somehow lost a year making us the same age. Who will I look up to now?

(In the book his fortieth birthday occurs in 2008, whilst his date of birth was apparently 02/04/1967).

I blame the publishers, simply because Sue Townsend can do no wrong. I will be writing to my MP on the matter in the strongest of terms.

Does anyone have Dr Braithwaite's address?
J.T. Wilson
So, farewell then, Adrian Mole, the 80s parody of parochial adolescence which mutated into the author's most well-received series of satirical soapboxes on modern-day Britain. 'The Prostrate Years' is, by default, the final installment in the series, Sue Townsend's death bringing the series to a halt with all the abruptness of a mid-season cancellation. Plotlines which were presumably destined for resolution in later books turn into cul-de-sacs. We'll never know how, or if, the stories were goin ...more
Danijel
Aug 21, 2013 Danijel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
Tko bi rekao da je nekad prištavi 13-3/4-godišnjak Adrian Mole danas na pragu četrdesete? Moram priznati da sam se iznenadio da Townsendica i dalje piše svoju nekadašnju hit-franšizu kad sam je ugledao na kiosku!? Ovo možda nisam očekivao, da Adrian nije ostvario nijednu svoju mladenačku (spisateljsku ni egzistencijalističku) želju koju je sanjao s 13 i 3/4. I dalje radi iste greške, s ljudima, ženama i sobom; vjerno i dalje zapisuje detaljno sva svoja zapažanja i misli u dnevnik. Mislim da ga j ...more
Catherine
Apr 03, 2011 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
Adrian goes through the book moaning that people can't spell the name of his troublesome gland correctly and as a result I mis-type the name of the book when searching for it. Adrian 1 - CaterinaAnna 0

I first met Adrian in the pages of Woman's Realm in 1982, when I was just enough older than him to feel superior, and each new installment of his diaries is like getting a news-filled letter from a friend one hears from infrequently enough for it to contain plenty of news, but frequently enough for
Jane Hope
Jun 01, 2014 Jane Hope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In short, I cried.
EpidermaS
Główny problem z Adrianem jest taki, że gość po prostu nie dorasta. Z czterdziechą na karku zachowuje się tak, jakby wciąż miał lat 14. Wiem, rozumiem, a nawet czaję, że taki miał być urok tej postaci. Ale mnie, jako czytelnika strasznie upierdliwego, taki stan rzeczy najzwyczajniej w świecie irytuje!

Z tej powieści zupełnie nic się nie wynosi. Opinia z okładki: „To najbardziej szczera – i najbardziej wzruszająca – książka o życiu z rakiem, jaką można sobie wyobrazić” jest kompletną bzdurą. Reda
Megan Baxter
I have read all the Adrian Mole books - indeed, I was delighted when the library catalogue told me there were two I didn't realize had been published! And while I plowed through and loved The Weapons of Mass Destruction, I would have to say that I find the Prostrate Years the weakest entry in Adrian Mole's extensive output. (Or, you know, Sue Townsend's.)

It felt less topical - the last two were both extremely topical and sharp-tongued about current events and celebrity, and this one, set geograp
Paula
Aug 30, 2010 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a massive fan of the Adrian Mole books, I have lost count how many times I have re~read the books. Adrian Mole ~ The Prostate Years finds Adrian now almost 40, married with a daughter (as well as two sons, Glenn serving with the army in Afghanistan and William, who lives with his mother in Nigeria) and lives next door to his parents in the piggery. As always with Adrian his unusual family are causing endless problems, his marriage is not working, his daughter rules their home and her school ...more
Mark Barrett
Jun 14, 2016 Mark Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having grown up with Adrian Mole, I was desperately hoping that this one would not disappoint. It didn't.

Great fun start to finish. The opening couple of weeks in particular - getting you back into the picture, reminding you of characters whilst introducing new ones etc. - were just a joy. They had me laughing out loud on more than one occasion.

Despite the deep, dark, potentially miserable core of the subject matter, Townsend keeps it light and refreshing, as we never stop rooting for the path
Nathan Hobby
Adrian Mole's nearly forty, and I've lost track of how many of his diaries have been published now. You probably remember him when he was thirteen and three quarters. I love the chronicle of a life that Sue Townsend has unfolded at intervals over the last twenty years, not quite up to the standard of John Updike's Rabbit Angstrom sequence, but a humorous barometer of the times and chronicle of failure.

That said, this is one of the weaker books to my mind - but maybe it's me who's changed; every
Jim Rimmer
Sep 11, 2011 Jim Rimmer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Adrian and I had lost contact since adolesence but, by sheer coincidence and not without some irony, bumped into each other again both aged 39.

A. A. Mole continues to be self centred whilst also being adrift on the ebbs and tides of life: 1 part tosser, 1 part underdog, a dash of adversity mixed with a cast of misfits. The genius of Townsend's character is that the reader (well, this one at least) can see so much of themselves in this protagonist whilst simultaneously hoping these observations
Jane
Jan 15, 2010 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always look forward to the latest Adrian Mole book and this one is a fine addition to the series. His marriage is in trouble, his family is as disfunctional as ever and his bookshop is failing. On top of all this he has prostate cancer to cope with. It's not all doom and gloom however because the Pandora starts showing signs that she may finally be responding to Adrian's life-long devotion....superb!
Louise
Jun 19, 2013 Louise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cynthia
Sally
Apr 11, 2014 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous but with the only cliffhanger of the series and Sue Townsend's sad recent death, I really hope that somebody is able to finish Pandora's Box and get it published, as I'm very keen to read on.
Michele
Nov 15, 2009 Michele rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I always expect to find these books laugh out loud funny but always seem to be disappointed.Adrian Mole is an interesting chronicler of our times but really just how clever is it to comment in a sort of amusing way about such current affairs. These books seem to promise much but don't deliver.

Daniel Lorne
Apr 14, 2014 Daniel Lorne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like catching up with old neurotic friends. The kind of book you read while peeking through your fingers and cringing. Sad to hear of Sue Tonwsend's passing. How would Adrian have ended up?
De Meulder
Jan 04, 2010 De Meulder rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Helemaal niet zo goed als de andere. En hij heeft kanker wat een domper is op het plezier.
Madeline McEwen
Brilliant! Howling with miserable laughter.
Eva Pleska
Oct 26, 2016 Eva Pleska rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite Adrian Mole's diary. I grew up with the first two and now the it's all over. it is such a shame that there won't be anymore. I know many will disagree with me and say that adrian's diaries are silly... I don't care... books don't have to be always serious, adventurous or mysterious or whatever "ious" you can think of.
Mole's kind heart and humanity is attractive to me and I feel sad that I'll never know if it worked out well between him and........
Sharon Sideris
Nov 03, 2016 Sharon Sideris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had forgotten how much I loved these books. This was just the kind of laugh I needed at the moment. I wish we could find out what was going to happen to Adrian next, sad that we will never know.
Marek
Brilliant and heartbreaking at the same time. Just really makes me wish that Mrs Townsend had managed to finish another volume, the really last one after the prost(r)ate years. Otherwise, I felt some kind of a closure to Adrian's messy life whereabouts, like the light at the end of a tunnel...
Erin
Nov 04, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This man is not Adrian Mole. Like the trip to the recreated Anne of Green Gables house when my father asked if the house was “really” where Anne lived, fiction does not live. And what a shame that it doesn’t. There’s nothing I’d like more than to ring round Adrian’s house (well, the piggeries) and find him fastidiously drinking his afternoon tea and waxing poetic about his prostate.

But really, finding out that another Adrian Mole book had come out was happy news, and once again, Sue Townsend has
Sydne
A lot has been written and said about Adrian Mole and his now 8 diaries that follow him through his life (since 13 3/4 and up to his "prostrate years" around his 40th birthday) and there is hardly anything to add with the newest addition to the series, so let's try a different approach.

Before Christmas 2010 I reserved the book in the local library and got the news it was already hired out and I was third in the waiting line. By the middle of January I finally got the book, meaning that together
Lorraine Sears
Nov 18, 2016 Lorraine Sears rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always loved Adrian Mole ... well, not like a girlfriend, because, let's face it, he really is a bit too anally retentive for my tastes. However, having read all the books in Adrian Mole series, starting when with Adrian Mole aged 13 and 3/4s, when I was roughly the same age myself, I feel a certain kinship with him and his dysfunctional family. Much like a long-time neighbour who's been curtain twitching at the Mole family antics for many years.

It is a testament to the excellent writer
Steven
Jan 22, 2011 Steven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
  • Where Have All the Bullets Gone?  (War Memoirs, #5)
  • England Away
  • The Meaning of Life (Rachel Riley, #3)
  • Secret Diary Of A Demented Housewife
  • The Tent, the Bucket and Me
  • The TV Kid
  • Does My Bum Look Big in This?
  • Chart Throb
  • Happy Holidays, Jessi (The Baby-Sitters Club, #103)
  • Shine On, Daizy Star
  • Ljubav, struja, voda & telefon
  • The Third Man: Life at the Heart of New Labour
  • Don't You Know Who I Am?
  • Complete Works, Vol. 4: Old Times / No Man's Land / Betrayal / Monologue / Family Voices
  • Human Nature (Pax Britannia, #3)
  • The E. Before Christmas

Susan Lillian "Sue" Townsend is a British novelist, best known as the author of the Adrian Mole series of books. Her writing tends to combine comedy with social commentary, though she has written purely dramatic works as well. She suffered from diabetes for many years, as a
More about Sue Townsend...

Adrian Mole (8 books)
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4  (Adrian Mole, #1)
  • The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole (Adrian Mole #2)
  • True Confessions of Adrian Albert Mole (Adrian Mole, #3)
  • Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years (Adrian Mole, #4)
  • Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Adrian Mole, #5)
  • Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction (Adrian Mole, #6)
  • The Lost Diaries of Adrian Mole, 1999-2001 (Adrian Mole, #7)

“Pauline: "All under-fives are mad Adrian, you used to talk to the moon. You invited it to your birthday party and cried when it didn't turn up."
George: "When it went dark and the moon came up, you ran outside and threw a sausage roll at it!”
3 likes