Start by marking “Research Strategies: Finding Your Way Through the Information Fog” as Want to Read:
Research Strategies: Finding Your Way Through the Information Fog

Research Strategies: Finding Your Way Through the Information Fog

Writing research papers does not have to be the painful experience many people make it out to be. It is possible to develop significant skills in order to make the writing process much easier than you think. In Research Strategies, author William Badke offers a clear, simple, and often humorous roadmap for conducting research and navigating the vast new world of informatio ...more
Published April 14th 2011 by iUniverse (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Research Strategies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Research Strategies

Ms. Oz
Definitely not an easy, pleasure read, but it was extremely informational and well-laid out. I thought I was an experienced researcher, but my ego has been deflated: keyword hierarchies, flat searches, wildcard truncations, metadata. Fortunately, Badke's wit & concrete examples frame this information into digestible and relatable contexts. Of the several research handbooks & textbooks I've read, this one was the most beneficial and reader-friendly.
Sue
Apr 21, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I expected a clinical, dry read...who but a librarian or teacher reads a book about research strategies? I was surprised to find a pleasantly readable, humorous(!) book which gives great tips for researchers, as well for those of us teaching research skills to our students. Likely not a cover-to-cover book for most, Badke has great tips for gleaning the very best information from your reference searches. Recommended for students and educators.
Lisette Hernandez
If you're planning on becoming a librarian or know a student struggling with research papers then just please. Get this. GET this. This is such a gold mine that somewhere a prospector in the West just did the prospector dance.
Sean-david
Aug 10, 2013 Sean-david rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish this were required when I was in undergrad. Every college, graduate school, or seminary student could learn from this well put together book.
Elizabeth
Apr 28, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Badke writes in an approachable, accessible fashion about concepts that often aren't so approachable. As a librarian I appreciate his voice in his writing and the way that he organizes this work.
Spencer
May 04, 2013 Spencer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bill Badke has written a book that walks college students through the research process, explaining how to choose a good research question, selecting keywords, searching with controlled vocabulary, understanding metadata, and so much more. The appendix offers lists of bad, good, and better research questions, making it easy to teach a workshop on this idea.

Badke also includes a chapter on searching the internet for academic sources. He recommends a number of academic search engines. For the pric
Laurel
Dec 31, 2009 Laurel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for high school librarians looking for new ways to teach research skills to students. Also helpful for middle school for ideas. It is currents and update to date and does what I need most. Gives lots of ideas a suggestions for examples. Highly readable. I was charmed by Badke's humor and subject coverage.

Teachers wanting to improve students search techniques would also find this book to be beneficial.

My favorite quote when Badke when discussing Web 2.0, "...The assumption within Web 2
Christine
Feb 06, 2015 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
I really wish I had this book when I was in college. I can only imagine those B papers would all be A's, not to mention the stress I could have saved myself. If you are looking to do any kind of research, for a paper, genealogy, whatever, I seriously recommend you read this book. If you are an undergrad just getting started, wondering why your profs all hate you, read this book. If you are a Grad student that has been getting Bs (or Cs I won't judge, I promise) and you stress about every single ...more
Stan
Dec 30, 2015 Stan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book if you're doing any scholarly research. I really like Umberto Eco's "How to Write a Thesis", but this book is valuable too. Eco's methodology and extremely high standards are exemplary, but a little dated where research technology is concerned.

Badke fills in that gap wonderfully. He explains modern research technology and how to use it extremely well. He is a Librarian, after all. Of course, he's also a professor who has taught research tech to thousands of students for near
Mara
Aug 25, 2010 Mara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used this text to teach a Library Information one credit course at a community college. It worked well, and the review questions at the end of chapters were helpful for creating assignments for my class. Topics are current, and engaged my students who were diverse in age and cultural background. Advanced high school students and the general public could use this readable text to learn how to cite sources in their writing, follow bibliographic format guidelines, create bibliographies, and gener ...more
Elizabeth
May 22, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With the subtitle "Finding your way through the information fog" Badke is addressing every student, patron, church member, family member, etc who I've talked to about finding and utilizing information either for academic or personal research. For a librarian, I'd recommend reading this in conjunction with his more recent Teaching Research Strategies that was published in 2012. Anyone else - read this if you want to better understand the research process and your place in it. Approachable, someti ...more
Kyle Potter
Jun 15, 2011 Kyle Potter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While Badke does an excellent job explaining the tools used in library research, the material really stands out when he explains to readers how to think about research and how to form good questions. His prose is easy to read, and sometimes quite lively (which is exceptional for a volume on research practices), and he continually keeps the focus on how these strategies contribute to answering interesting questions.

This is a great volume for beginning researchers or anyone who wants a "refresher
Matthew Pierleoni
Oct 14, 2015 Matthew Pierleoni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this book for a course I am taking in school, and I loathed the idea of purchasing another college textbook. But this is one textbook I don't plan on selling. Anybody who plans to have a career that includes writing should check out this book! Badke is able to research for academic papers and make it...fun? Honestly, Badke's style of writing makes this the most enjoyable textbook I have ever had to read from cover to cover.
lia
Jul 18, 2008 lia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book for teaching research strategies or if you want to learn some yourself. It covers both simple and some more complex issues. It has been recently updated, as books like this must be in my opinion, so the information is relevant. I know Badke is trying to be witty and fun in his writing, but the smart/smarmy part of it ooozed through a bit.
Barbara Burd
Apr 13, 2012 Barbara Burd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Badke is extremely thorough in his treatment of research strategy. This book is a valuable resource for teachers who are seeking to improve their skills and for students who are using this as a textbook. A very comprehensive resource for librarians and educators who are teaching information literacy skills and concepts through a thorough research process.
Matthew Behnke
Jun 18, 2015 Matthew Behnke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-science
I loved this book. It was extremely well organized and full of excellent resources. As I began reading, Badke's nerdy/schmarmy tone was off-putting, but as I continued, found it oddly endearing. By the end, I felt as though I personally knew my guide through the information fog. Badke trans-substantiated during my information journey, becoming the Virgil to my Dante.
Kristy
Nov 21, 2008 Kristy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nicely written book detailing the research process, including how to frame a research question, how to search databases, how to use the internet for research, and much more. Badke has a light touch and uses humor effectively (without being too corny). This would be a great book for undergraduates (or even grad students), if only they would read it.
Vesselin
Oct 13, 2016 Vesselin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Читава книжка и лека за четене. Подходяща е за всеки, който желае да научи как да прави по-добре проучвания (включително курсови работи, дисертации и т.н.). Знаех доста от нещата вече, но тези, които бяха нови за мен, ми бяха много полезни.
Mark Hiser
Jun 12, 2011 Mark Hiser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
A very accessible book that offers strategies for researching in the digital age.
Yajaira A Marmolejo
Easy to read and simple to apply.
Willow
Sep 14, 2008 Willow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: college students doing research.
Very accessible and up to date.
Rainey
May 14, 2013 Rainey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For my Library Research Course
Shannan
Text for Library course. Some good information, but I found the flippant snarky tone a bit inappropriate for a reference text.
Liz De Coster
Jan 30, 2012 Liz De Coster rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lis
A basic guide to research skills and strategies. Well-suited for general information literacy or research courses at the high school or college freshman level.
Brian Reagan
good book on how to do research, how to access the available resources, etc. Even if you are an experienced researcher, his tips are helpful, and he reminds you of the basics of effective research.
Don
May 17, 2007 Don rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Talbot Course: Theological Research Method

If you don't know how to use the internet or Google or do an "advanced search", this book is for you.
Kevin Summers
Apr 23, 2015 Kevin Summers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
This book lists many Internet resources that are very useful for research, e.g. the Academic Phrasebank at http://www.phrasebank.manchester.ac.uk/.
Tim
Jan 26, 2013 Tim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this book twice. I despise it. I hate his writing style and how they are still teaching this archaic drivel.
Deborah Pendleton
Deborah Pendleton rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

“We’ve come to understand over the past hundred years that information is colored with subjectivity: What we know depends on how we interpret our information base.” 2 likes
“Information is supposed to inform. That means it has to be reliable, relevant, current, and so on. There was a time when people believed that, given the right information, we” 0 likes