Start by marking “Who Killed Daniel Pearl?” as Want to Read:
Who Killed Daniel Pearl?

Who Killed Daniel Pearl?

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  14 reviews
It was a horrible tragedy, but what if, hidden behind the story of the gruesome on-camera murder of journalist Daniel Pearl, was another, still darker story? What if the people who murdered him weren't actually fanatic followers of Osama bin Laden? What if he wasn't murdered – as was universally assumed – because he was Jewish and American? What if he was murdered because ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Melville House (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Who Killed Daniel Pearl?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Killed Daniel Pearl?

Melville House Publishing
An explosive new French book that says journalist Daniel Pearl was killed because he'd uncovered links between al-Qaida and the Pakistani government including the possible trading of nuclear secrets, and that has been causing a sensation in Europe, will be published in English this fall by Melville House.

The book, to be released in English as "Who Killed Daniel Pearl?", is by leading French philosopher and journalist Bernard-Henri Lévy, who has written several books about the region and who serv
Ramorx
Jan 24, 2014 Ramorx rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nicolas Sarkozy
I hated this book so much I couldn't put it down: how more dreadful can it possibly get? But the author's abject pomposity becomes overwhelming in the final stages as he "speculates" as to what Daniel Pearl is thinking during his final hours - and so I had to toss it away.
It comes as a relief to discover that Pearl's wife has heavily derided the book and especially its author. Levy has written a book (as usual, I gather) about himself, and what an important commentator and ahem, philosopher he
Lisa
BHL is officially the author I love to hate. On the one hand his research is top-notch and first-hand. I soaked up the information. On the other, his speculations - amongst others - on Daniel Pearl's last moments were unnecessary and he continues to annoy the living daylights out of me with his name-dropping and pontificating. Read this book (also available in English under the title Who Killed Daniel Pearl?) if you are looking to learn more about Islamic extremism, especially about how al-Qaeda ...more
Lorri
Who Killed Daniel Pearl, by Bernard-Henri Levy, is extremely heart-wrenching, and a serious work of non-fiction detailing the last days of journalist Daniel Pearl’s life.

Daniel Pearl’s physical death, and his last words “I am Jewish”, has sparked a life of its own, not only bringing Pearl to life, eternal, but, educating others, worldwide, on the humankind within of all of us…the fact we are one…under the sun…no matter where we reside.

His death inspired Levy to take on the enormous cause of tryi
RickyB
This book started really well. I was intrigued by the story, which wasn't one I remembered well. Then it started getting confusing with Levy using a lot of guessing and assumptions to tell a story that has no real proof behind it. I found more questions unanswered at the end of the book than were asked in the first place and the title question, who did kill Daniel Pearl on 31st January 2002?, is never answered. A lot of suspects and a few reasons behind the murder are addressed by Levy but no de ...more
Barry Levy
Indeed, who did kill and cut up into ten pieces Daniel Pearl, the Jewish-American journalist on assignment in Pakistan in 2002, this book asks. And, more deeply, why? Who were the fundamentalists behind this foul and appalling deed? Levy creates an intriguing insight, especially into the murky, brutal, Islamist world of Pakistan, and indeed into some western Muslims who enthusiastically get caught up in this darkness.

Unfortunately, sympathy for these fanatics comes all too often from the world'
Jane
Its hard to know truth. Truth is so different for each individual. The truth purported by Levy is a terrifying one; it leads to nuclear power out of control due to Pakistan; hatred of the West by all muslims, islamic followers using religion as usurpers of power. Elimination of any opposition is the goal. Well worth the time and effort to understand his point of view on why Daniel Pearl was fingered and then killed, and who our real enemies may be.
Will Byrnes
A fabulous book in which Levy traces Pearls’ final days and comes up with a notion about what happened to Pearl, and why. Compelling, interesting reading.
Jeremy Baker
A masterwork of investigative journalism, both into Pearls' final investigation and the shaky alliance of terrorist networks that continue to run Pakistan.
Sarahasinger
This is fascinating, I don't know if BHL got the story right but if he did -- it reads like fiction.
Tara
This book was poorly written and seemed to be more about Levy than Pearl.
theodore
An interesting book to read next to Goldman's book.
Deb
Gripping page-turner, whodunit...
Laura Günther
Laura Günther marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Molly Anderson
Molly Anderson marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Donald Forster
Donald Forster marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Principessa Iolda
Principessa Iolda marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
James Mak
James Mak marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Minahil Khan
Minahil Khan is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2014
Khalid
Khalid marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Territorial Imperative: A Personal Inquiry Into the Animals Origins of Property and Nations (Kodansha Globe)
  • Death of a Dissident: The Poisoning of Alexander Litvinenko and the Return of the KGB
  • The Terror Conspiracy: Deception, 9/11 & the Loss of Liberty
  • Waging Modern War: Bosnia, Kosovo, and the Future of Conflict
  • The Kennedy Conspiracy
  • Sisters in War: A Story of Love, Family, and Survival in the New Iraq
  • Monkey on a Stick: Murder, Madness and the Hare Krishnas
  • The Enemy
  • Inside WikiLeaks: My Time with Julian Assange at the World's Most Dangerous Website
  • JFK: The CIA, Vietnam and the Plot to Assassinate John F. Kennedy
  • Babylon by Bus: Or true story of two friends who gave up valuable franchise selling T-shirts to find meaning & adventure in Iraq where they became employed by the Occupation...
  • Alice in Wonderland and the World Trade Center Disaster: Why the Official Story of 9/11 is a Monumental Lie
  • Al Qaeda:  The True Story Of Radical Islam
  • The Second Plane: 14 Responses to September 11
  • The Ends of the Earth: A Journey to the Frontiers of Anarchy
  • Indian Country
  • Learning to Live Finally: The Last Interview
  • Messages to the World: The Statements of Osama Bin Laden
Bernard-Henri Lévy (born November 5, 1948 in Béni Saf, Algeria) is a French public intellectual and journalist. Often referred to today, in France, simply as BHL, he was one of the leaders of the "Nouvelle Philosophie" (New Philosophy) movement in 1976.

Lévy was born to a Jewish family in Béni Saf, Algeria on 5 November 1948. His family moved to Paris a few months after his birth. His father, André
More about Bernard-Henri Lévy...
American Vertigo: Traveling America in the Footsteps of Tocqueville Left in Dark Times: A Stand Against the New Barbarism War, Evil and the End of History Le Diable en tête Sartre: The Philosopher of the Twentieth Century