Start by marking “Who Killed Daniel Pearl?” as Want to Read:
Who Killed Daniel Pearl?

Who Killed Daniel Pearl?

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  197 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
It was a horrible tragedy, but what if, hidden behind the story of the gruesome on-camera murder of journalist Daniel Pearl, was another, still darker story? What if the people who murdered him weren't actually fanatic followers of Osama bin Laden? What if he wasn't murdered – as was universally assumed – because he was Jewish and American? What if he was murdered because ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Melville House (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Who Killed Daniel Pearl?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Killed Daniel Pearl?

Ramorx
Jan 24, 2014 Ramorx rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nicolas Sarkozy
I hated this book so much I couldn't put it down: how more dreadful can it possibly get? But the author's abject pomposity becomes overwhelming in the final stages as he "speculates" as to what Daniel Pearl is thinking during his final hours - and so I had to toss it away.
It comes as a relief to discover that Pearl's wife has heavily derided the book and especially its author. Levy has written a book (as usual, I gather) about himself, and what an important commentator and ahem, philosopher he
RickyB
Nov 20, 2013 RickyB rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book started really well. I was intrigued by the story, which wasn't one I remembered well. Then it started getting confusing with Levy using a lot of guessing and assumptions to tell a story that has no real proof behind it. I found more questions unanswered at the end of the book than were asked in the first place and the title question, who did kill Daniel Pearl on 31st January 2002?, is never answered. A lot of suspects and a few reasons behind the murder are addressed by Levy but no de ...more
Melville House Publishing
An explosive new French book that says journalist Daniel Pearl was killed because he'd uncovered links between al-Qaida and the Pakistani government including the possible trading of nuclear secrets, and that has been causing a sensation in Europe, will be published in English this fall by Melville House.

The book, to be released in English as "Who Killed Daniel Pearl?", is by leading French philosopher and journalist Bernard-Henri Lévy, who has written several books about the region and who serv
Lisa
Sep 18, 2007 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BHL is officially the author I love to hate. On the one hand his research is top-notch and first-hand. I soaked up the information. On the other, his speculations - amongst others - on Daniel Pearl's last moments were unnecessary and he continues to annoy the living daylights out of me with his name-dropping and pontificating. Read this book (also available in English under the title Who Killed Daniel Pearl?) if you are looking to learn more about Islamic extremism, especially about how al-Qaeda ...more
Will Byrnes
A fabulous book in which Levy traces Pearls’ final days and comes up with a notion about what happened to Pearl, and why. Compelling, interesting reading.
Lorri
Who Killed Daniel Pearl, by Bernard-Henri Levy, is extremely heart-wrenching, and a serious work of non-fiction detailing the last days of journalist Daniel Pearl’s life.

Daniel Pearl’s physical death, and his last words “I am Jewish”, has sparked a life of its own, not only bringing Pearl to life, eternal, but, educating others, worldwide, on the humankind within of all of us…the fact we are one…under the sun…no matter where we reside.

His death inspired Levy to take on the enormous cause of tryi
Barry Levy
Jan 08, 2013 Barry Levy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Indeed, who did kill and cut up into ten pieces Daniel Pearl, the Jewish-American journalist on assignment in Pakistan in 2002, this book asks. And, more deeply, why? Who were the fundamentalists behind this foul and appalling deed? Levy creates an intriguing insight, especially into the murky, brutal, Islamist world of Pakistan, and indeed into some western Muslims who enthusiastically get caught up in this darkness.

Unfortunately, sympathy for these fanatics comes all too often from the world'
Lucas Johnson
Jan 30, 2016 Lucas Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Levy provides details and perspectives that are often overlooked in the most common portrayals of the assassination. One of the sharpest of these is the discussion of the multifarious groups that contributed thugs to the operation. Levy calls this collaboration the "parliament of Pakistani Islamism." This unnatural conglomerate implicates the Pakistani state itself in the demise of Mr. Pearl, but I seriously doubt they will be held to account.
Roxanne
Nov 18, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do not think we can ever be sure who killed Daniel Pearl but I would say that going to Pakistan where Americans are hated is a very dangerous place to report from, I would never be a roving world reporter.
Jane
Jun 20, 2009 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its hard to know truth. Truth is so different for each individual. The truth purported by Levy is a terrifying one; it leads to nuclear power out of control due to Pakistan; hatred of the West by all muslims, islamic followers using religion as usurpers of power. Elimination of any opposition is the goal. Well worth the time and effort to understand his point of view on why Daniel Pearl was fingered and then killed, and who our real enemies may be.
Jeremy Baker
Aug 17, 2008 Jeremy Baker rated it it was amazing
A masterwork of investigative journalism, both into Pearls' final investigation and the shaky alliance of terrorist networks that continue to run Pakistan.
Sarahasinger
Sep 27, 2009 Sarahasinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is fascinating, I don't know if BHL got the story right but if he did -- it reads like fiction.
Tara
Apr 24, 2009 Tara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was poorly written and seemed to be more about Levy than Pearl.
theodore
Jul 04, 2008 theodore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
An interesting book to read next to Goldman's book.
Deb
May 15, 2011 Deb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping page-turner, whodunit...
Muhammad Suleman
Muhammad Suleman marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Ismail
Ismail rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Taha Samad
Taha Samad is currently reading it
Aug 07, 2016
James Smith
James Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Paul
Paul added it
Aug 04, 2016
Jon Johnson
Jon Johnson marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Kimmy Best
Kimmy Best marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Bia Pacheco
Bia Pacheco rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Derren
Derren marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Nadine
Nadine rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Anastacia
Anastacia marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Shel
Shel rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2016
  • The Third Terrorist: The Middle East Connection to the Oklahoma City Bombing
  • Ghost Plane: The True Story of the CIA Torture Program
  • The Boys on the Tracks: Death, Denial, and a Mother's Crusade to Bring Her Son's Killers to Justice
  • Waging Modern War: Bosnia, Kosovo, and the Future of Conflict
  • Death of a Dissident: The Poisoning of Alexander Litvinenko and the Return of the KGB
  • The Terror Conspiracy: Deception, 9/11 & the Loss of Liberty
  • The Territorial Imperative: A Personal Inquiry Into the Animal Origins of Property and Nations
  • Should You Leave?: A Psychiatrist Explores Intimacy and Autonomy--and the Nature of Advice
  • The Last Investigation
  • The Kennedy Conspiracy
  • Inside Therapy: Illuminating Writings About Therapists, Patients, and Psychotherapy
  • Sisters in War: A Story of Love, Family, and Survival in the New Iraq
  • Monkey on a Stick: Murder, Madness and the Hare Krishnas
  • Signs and Symbols: Their Design and Meaning
  • The Senate Intelligence Committee Report on Torture: Committee Study of the Central Intelligence Agency's Detention and Interrogation Program
  • Alice in Wonderland and the World Trade Center Disaster
  • The Enemy
  • Why America Slept: The Reasons Behind Our Failure to Prevent 9/11
Bernard-Henri Lévy (born November 5, 1948 in Béni Saf, Algeria) is a French public intellectual and journalist. Often referred to today, in France, simply as BHL, he was one of the leaders of the "Nouvelle Philosophie" (New Philosophy) movement in 1976.

Lévy was born to a Jewish family in Béni Saf, Algeria on 5 November 1948. His family moved to Paris a few months after his birth. His father, André
More about Bernard-Henri Lévy...