Start by marking “The Kingdom Within: The Inner Meaning of Jesus' Sayings” as Want to Read:
The Kingdom Within: The Inner Meaning of Jesus' Sayings

The Kingdom Within: The Inner Meaning of Jesus' Sayings

By showing how Jesus' teachings relate to our inner depths, this book guides us toward a more conscious and creative life. The Kingdom Within explores the significance of Jesus' teachings for our interior life -- that inner reality that Jesus called "the kingdom of God." It is Sanford's conviction that contemporary Christianity has overlooked this inner dimension of Jesus' ...more
Published August 11th 2009 by HarperOne (first published June 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Kingdom Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kingdom Within

Robin
Jul 24, 2011 Robin rated it really liked it
Shelves: therapy, 2011
Thought provoking even for this atheist. A Jungian interpretation of Jesus. If this author had been my first exposure to the church I could see attending.
Connie
Jan 19, 2015 Connie added it
Fabulous book for those seeking to engage with scripture on many levels. Sanford invites us to use our imagination and allow the depths of our souls to be transformed by taking time to inwardly digest God's word.
Mac Morse
Nov 09, 2015 Mac Morse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book over and over and it had a tremendous impact on me. It was very meaningful to me.
Ron Rowland
Jul 10, 2015 Ron Rowland rated it it was amazing
Wonderful glimpse into the psychology of Jesus, finding Him to be the model of a perfect, whole person.
Frank
Feb 09, 2009 Frank rated it it was ok
This is an interesting book dealing with what Jesus call "The Kingdome of God." He has some remarkable insights on what Jesus' words mean. He showed how the two parables comparing the Kingdom to the Peril and the Treasure in the field are not the same, in fact they are actually oposites with an astonding result I had never realized. I thought the first half of this book the best I have read on this subject. But then he got into psycology and the second half of the book, although it too had some ...more
Elizabeth
Mar 01, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
This is one of the top suggested reads to go with a book study of Natural Spirituality (Rockwood Hudson). Sanford illuminates scripture we would normally associate with an outer experience and helps us to see the meaning for our more unconscious inner lives. In this way we learn the journey to God is not a place to get to, but an uncovering of the hidden Christ within -- which gets us to an inner journey to the kingdom of God. Lots of good passages marked to read again...
Hilda
May 30, 2012 Hilda rated it really liked it
This book was so good I might have to go out and purchase my own copy since the copy I have was borrowed :) I really enjoyed reading my first book by this author. There was a lot of wisdom and insight into some of the scripture passages. The author shared his own insight of course but it was very thought provoking for me, and definitely worthy of a re-visit in the future.
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Oct 02, 2008 ♥ Ibrahim ♥ rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
I am a big fan of Jung, indepth psychology, and the theme of the Kingdom within is one of my favourite Christian topics and I like to read extensively on it. I hope to discuss this books with somebody who read it.
Christy Priest
Jul 22, 2008 Christy Priest rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all who wish to know the Truth as told by Jesus
I am currently reading this book and taking the class with Rev. Billie. WOW! It is very in depth and fascinating. I am only through chapter 4 and I have learned so much.
Andrew Glasgow
Dec 01, 2012 Andrew Glasgow rated it really liked it
Interesting and thought provoking analsis of Jesus' teaching from the perspetive of a Jungian analyst and Episcopal priest: well worth reading.
Erika
Feb 27, 2010 Erika rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
I found this book in the new bookcase in the guest room in Florida...still wondering who read it

Jungian approach and unpretenious
Richard
Apr 15, 2010 Richard rated it really liked it
I think I was surprised how much I liked this book - candid, real, and at the same time christian. very well done.
Mark
Jul 26, 2008 Mark rated it it was amazing
I'm currently reading this for a class at church. It is deepening my understanding of the Kingdom of God.
Diego
Diego marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Diane Martinez
Diane Martinez marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Jason Kohl
Jason Kohl marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Saint Miriam
Saint Miriam marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Todd
Todd is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2016
Ras Salassie
Ras Salassie marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Jennie
Jennie marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Cherie
Cherie rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Eric Beach
Eric Beach is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2016
Diedre Braverman
Diedre Braverman is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2016
Renan Virginio
Renan Virginio marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
david glowacki
david glowacki is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2016
Paul Gleason
Paul Gleason rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Ignatian Adventure: Experiencing the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius in Daily Life
  • The Second Half of Life: Opening the Eight Gates of Wisdom
  • The Middle Passage: From Misery to Meaning in Midlife (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 59)
  • A Search for What Makes Sense: Finding Faith
  • Voice of Matthew
  • A Gradual Awakening
  • Jesus and Buddha: The Parallel Sayings
  • Shamanic Voices: A Survey of Visionary Narratives
  • The Inner World of Trauma: Archetypal Defences of the Personal Spirit
  • Stages of Faith: The Psychology of Human Development and the Quest for Meaning
  • Meeting God in Mark
  • Taoism Way Beyond Seeking
  • Synopsis of the Four Gospels
  • Soul Making: The Desert Way of Spirituality
  • Tree Wisdom: The definitive guidebook to the myth, folklore and healing power of Trees
  • Inside the Divine Pattern