Start by marking “What's Your Type of Career?: Find Your Perfect Career by Using Your Personality Type” as Want to Read:

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Helps you discover what will most satisfy you in a job that meshes with your natural way of working.
Published December 15th 2010 by Nicholas Brealey Publishing (first published February 6th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about What's Your Type of Career?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's Your Type of Career?

StoryTellerShannon
This book goes into great detail about the Myers Briggs Personality Test and what a reader is best suited for in their career.

Normally this could have been a good thing but the career choices were overly generic or well known. I would have preferred a wider array of career possibilities. This seemed to list the top 20% and leave it there.

OVERALL GRADE: C plus.
Joan
Okay. So, I happen to be really into personality tests, but this book does an excellent job of describing how your personality type intersects with your work style and the type of work you're drawn to. I recommend it for anyone who just likes a little self-examination or who needs some guidance with their career path.
Eustacia Tan
Ok, I admit it, I got this book with an eye on the future. I'm pretty sure I want to do business, but I wasn't sure exactly what (it's a big field). I was hoping that this book would help me to realise more clearly what it was exactly.

And what this book reminded me off was one of those seminars that my schools used to make us go to. The ones that make you do all those quizzes and tell you your personality types. So this is what this book is like, only without the very detailed quizzes.

What I did
Penelope
Donna Dunning uses the Myers-Briggs personality model to help you identify your strengths, weaknesses, and desires in order to find the career that will be most fulfilling for you. While she briefly explains the different personality types, you really should already know your Myers-Briggs type. I picked this book up not to find out which career I was best suited for, but rather to see what type of careers for which my children might be best suited. I found that the information on how the differe ...more
Graeme Roberts
Sep 23, 2011 Graeme Roberts rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hannah Morgan
Shelves: business, behavior, life
This is the first book I have read that effectively uses the Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator to help you to understand yourself and fit into the right kind of job. I am an INTJ. She calls INTJ's and INTF's logical visionaries and compassionate visionaries, respectively. She describes the characteristics of the visionary very clearly, in a way that not only helped me to understand and use my strengths better, but also to feel better about my obvious weaknesses, like dealing with routine, which sends ...more
Anthony Robb-John
Not everyone thinks the Myers-Briggs approach is perfect; neither is this book, in several ways. But both are useful. Frankly - when you are helping the next generation with careers choices you need as many of these sorts of things as you can get.
Miquixote
I obtained some insights into my skills and abilities and what types of careers I should be considering, but this is no magic pill. The only way of finding out is being honest with yourself about what you are capable of, and what you really like to do and having some real, honest friends and family to check out if what you think about yourself is true. Just don't go locking yourself onto boxed up personality types. Life is about change.
Michelle
After taking the Meyers Briggs Personality test, I read this book. It added an extra element to that test and further solidified my personality and gave me a better idea of the direction I should take in my career. It even offers job suggestions and strategies for your type. Interestingly enough, according to this book I'm in the wrong career. I'm in a career more suited for an extrovert which is probably why I am unhappy.
Virginia
Aug 28, 2007 Virginia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Career Transitioners; those who don't like their job.
I picked this book up at a 1-day professional conference back in February. It's based on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) and is definitely an interesting read. Especially helpful for those folks thinking about changing jobs or career fields. Not everyone buys into Myers-Briggs. I get that. But it offers helpful suggestions to anyone who is dissatisfied with one's current employed state.
Darya Conmigo
As far as self-help books go, this was tremendously helpful. I'd suggest it to anyone thinking about switching careers or making making their existing work more enjoyable and effective. Familiarity with Myers-Briggs types is useful but there is both background chapter and a little cheat test in the book for those who need it.
Kathleen Rainwater
Very helpful for thoses looking to change careers. Helps you to match personality type with appropriate jobs and careers.
Mary
Helpful in career counseling, but more for adults, not teens.
Prasad Karambale
Prasad Karambale marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Aneesha Chawla
Aneesha Chawla marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Cassie
Cassie marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Farah
Farah marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Eismantas Kupstas
Eismantas Kupstas marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Yernar Kades
Yernar Kades marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Jana Gregi
Jana Gregi marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Liza
Liza is currently reading it
Mar 17, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Yolanda Huynh
Yolanda Huynh marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Anna Chawziuk
Anna Chawziuk marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Donna Dunning, PhD, is an author, consultant, certified teacher, and member of the MBTI International Training Faculty. She worked as a psychologist for 20 years specializing in the areas of career development, learning, and work performance.

Donna has provided services for a wide range of clients in the public and private sector. Her services included counseling, training, assessment, research,
More about Donna Dunning...
10 Career Essentials: Excel at Your Career by Using Your Personality Type What's Your Type of Career?: Find Your Perfect Career by Using Your Personality Type, 2nd Edition Introduction to Type and Communication Introduction to Type and Learning TLC at Work: Training, Leading, Coaching All Types for Star Performance