Hearts in Darkness

Hearts in Darkness

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  25,660 ratings  ·  1,981 reviews
Makenna James thinks her day can't get any worse, until she finds herself stuck in a pitch-black elevator with a complete stranger. Distracted by a phone call and juggling too much stuff, the pin-striped accountant caught only a glimpse of a dragon tattoo on his hand before the lights went out.

Caden Grayson is amused when a redhead literally falls at his feet. His amusemen...more
Published April 21st 2011 by The Wild Rose Press (first published April 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hearts in Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hearts in Darkness

Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
Huge 5 stars.

Hearts In Darkness is one of those stories that touches your heart, makes you ponder and leaves a smile on your face for the rest of the day.

The novella begins with two people whose outward appearance is as different as night and day. Makenna is stylish, tailored, attractive, and well-groomed, albeit slightly frazzled. On the other hand, Caden is a nonconformist with tattoos, piercings, and a shaved head. Within seconds of Makenna entering an elevator that Caden was already in, the...more
Rosalinda *KRASNORADA*

"Wait! Can you please hold that?"

OMG I always use to hurry up when someone is coming my way to take the elevator with me. NOT ANYMORE!!! I use to say reading always teach me something. This little story taught me to wait for whoever is CUMing into the elevator. I have expectations now and I am so very ready for Caden!

Wait? You don’t know who Caden is? Let me compose myself. I am still… affected .

This book starts with lucky Makenna trying to catch the elevator where Caden is. She is a mysteriou...more
Shawna
5 stars – Contemporary Romance/Novella

Wow! What a hot, fun, charming surprise this was!

Two strangers...a tattooed, pierced, skull trimmed, scarred hero who’s all rugged bad boy on the outside (think Zsadist look alike) and sweet, considerate, vulnerable teddy bear gentleman on the inside and a smart, funny, understanding, and genuine heroine...discover and explore a deep connection and explosive sexual attraction while stuck together in an elevator. The pitch-black darkness hides their physical...more
Buggy
May 02, 2012 Buggy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Buggy by: Tamster!
Opening Line: " Wait! Can you please hold that?"

Ah Caden, my new literary boyfriend, how I would love to get stuck in an elevator with you. Pierced, tattooed, skull trimmed and hitting all my Zsadist fantasy buttons (gah) this bad boy had me in bits from page one. He’s also kind, insecure, lonely and somewhat tortured. Yup he's delicious.

Wow, this was a fantastic little read that I can see myself coming back to again soon. Short, sexy and just oh so good. The only thing that could have made this...more
UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

When total strangers, Caden Grayson and Makenna James, end up stuck together in an elevator that breaks down, somehow there in that pitch black box, they’re able to see more of each other than if they had met on a bright, sunny day. And who knows? Had they met under any other circumstances, appearances would probably have kept them apart but with nothing to get in the way, this seemingly conservative businesswoman and this scarred, tattooed paramedic have to rely on their other senses to get to...more
Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
Photobucket

This short story was a fast-paced, steamy as well as hot read. The characters were complex and well-developed. Even though it's only a novella there was quite a lot of depth to be found. Also, the sexual tension in the dark was so palpable and well-written. Amazing what an author can bring to life with such a little read.

Caden and Makenna were spending some time in darkness and came back to the light...

Photobucket
Juliana
Not normally a novella fan and didn't have high expectations, but ended up *loving* it (4.5 stars)
I absolutely loved this novella (and like most, only wish it was longer!). Short romances almost invariably get bad ratings from me, because I'm unable to believe any lasting connection, but in this case I had no trouble with that. I found the idea of this new relationship fully believable and wholly enjoyable - and much sweeter than I expected.

{ Hero }
Caden was such a fantastic hero. He's big and b...more
Auntee
Jul 02, 2013 Auntee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of erotic short stories
Recommended to Auntee by: Shawna
This is how you write an erotic short story!

Wow. This little gem had me hooked from the start. Harried red haired young businesswoman Makenna is having a rough day where everything seems to be going wrong. Luckily a good Samaritan (with a tattooed hand) is holding the elevator door open for her... no sooner does the door close and before Makenna can get a clear look at her "Good Sam", the elevator shudders to a halt and the lights go out. Uh-oh. It just so happens that the tattooed stranger (an...more
Vilda
Rating: 2,5 stars

"Peace wasn't an emotion with which he was much familiar, but with Makenna, he had it. And he didn't know how he'd ever give it up."

Hearts in Darkness was definitely quite a sweet story--probably sweeter than I had expected it to be--and while it did have some more serious and dark topics dealing with our man's past, in the end they just added to the final sweetness. While I wanted to love it though, I just never quite reached that point. I really enjoyed their time in the elev...more
KatLynne
A perfect little jewel!

Short, Sexy, Sizzling Hot, Tender, Sweet, with emotional depth! Caden Grayson is a hot, tattooed hero that is so easy to love and Makenna is a heroine I adored! How can you go wrong?

This short novella met all my requirements for a great read! My only complaint is that it was so good I wished there had been more!

Edited 6/12/2012 to add the following link

Character Interview - An interview with Caden from Hearts of Darkness

Kellie is a bookwhoreasaurus
May 17, 2012 Kellie is a bookwhoreasaurus rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who likes a hot man

JESUS CHRIST I NEED A COLD SHOWER!! OR 10!!

What a fantastic short little read.

Hot cover? Hell f'n yeah!
Hot man? Check
Emotional scarred? Yep
Tattooed? Yep
Pierced? double check
Funny and strong heroine? Check
Chemistry? Hell yeah!

It is a short read but I don't think it needed to be longer it was just perfect.

I know what your thinking, 2 strangers stuck in an elevator for a whole book and it's pitch black, let me guess they have sex?
That would be a NO.
Well there is Sex in it but there is more...more
Rach  *Feisty kitty*
Jan 27, 2013 Rach *Feisty kitty* rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rach *Feisty kitty* by: Rain ~miss kinky knickers~
Shelves: m-f, sexy-tatts
This was a buddy read with the gorgeous Rain
Recommended by the lovely Sarah and Rain<3

I'll be honest right from the start. At one time this book would have been a 5 STAR book as it has a sexy man with

Tattoo's

and a gorgeous face complete with biteable lip piercings

But recently I have got into m/m books and darker reads so I won't say too much about this book as I don't think it is fair to put people off a truly fantastic book. It just wasn't ALL

SPARKLE

And

for me I'm afraid

QUOTES I LOVED

'He w
Rain ~miss kinky knickers~
Again - I wouldn't mind at all finding myself stuck in an elevator with Caden. At all.
Kelly
Jun 09, 2012 Kelly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all romance lovers
I've been reading the five-star reviews for Hearts in Darkness for weeks now and I was afraid it would not live up to my expectations. Boy was I ever wrong. Laura Kaye totally blew me away again.

This novella is about two strangers, Caden and Makella, who meet and begin to fall in love with each other while trapped in a pitch-black elevator. The dialogue is witty and realistic,the sex scenes are scorching, yet sweet and the character development is phenomenal. Laura Kaye has a gift for making the...more
Lisa Jayne
"Everything, I want everything with you."

This book was flippin' lovely! Sexy, tragic, heartbreaking, romantic, sensual. (I could go on).
I thought my heart was going to come right out of my chest, how the author managed to captivate me so utterly and quickly in this short read I have no idea.
I felt so connected with both characters straightaway, this short read is a Diamond and not one to be missed.
4 toe curling, lovely romantic STARS.
MelissaB
May 27, 2011 MelissaB rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of tattooed heroes and fun hot stories
Love in an elevator...

Fun short story about two people who meet when they get stuck in an elevator together. The hot tattooed hero is pretty sexy and also sensitive. The heroine was funny and spunky. The whole story takes place over one night but the author made it work. I really liked the characters and story, check it out if you like hot stories with sexy tattooed heroes!
Tammy Walton Grant
Sep 17, 2011 Tammy Walton Grant rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tammy by: Nikki, Tonya, Uniquely Moi Dhestiny
Oh, my GR friends who've read and recc'ed this book, I think you're on to something.

This was fantabulous. I could argue, as always, that it was too short, but it really wasn't. You get to drop into Makenna and Caden's lives on the night they meet, you stick around for a day or so, then you're gone. You see them just long enough to know that they've found something special with each other, and it's ok to leave them because you know they'll make it. It was short, it was intense, it was awesome.

I...more
Dina
4 1/2 stars

Loved, loved, loved Caden! I can't resist a tough-looking guy with a hidden, sweet core. *sighs*
Rachel ~ SnapDragoness
Ooh hookahs! Caden had me clutchin at my pearls!!

Seriously. This man is one attentive LUVHA! I felt like I was reading a guide on how to please the ladies, he was that good. But smexy times aside, I really liked this story. I cared about the characters and it felt real. Yeah it's short, but could it really be drawn out into a full-length novel? I doubt it. I'm super happy with it as it is, and will check out more from this new-to-me author in the future.

Though...

The PNR lover I am, I was secret...more
Monique ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
When an author writes and projects the emotions of the characters so you can feel them within your own heart...you know you are onto a good thing. This book touched me.......wholeheartedly and overwhelmingly drew on my own emotions.

Who knew a book about two people being stuck in an elevator without any visual stimulus for half of the book could be so sensual and erotic?!

..*swooning starts*..

Caden is....OMG he is sizzling hot....off the temperature scales sexy....such a fine specimen of a man.......more
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Hearts in Darkness = Love at first delayed sight.

Second read 05/12. Hearts was a nice little slow-build for such a short book. Two strangers are plunged into darkness when an elevator stalls out. The kicker is that neither one paid much attention to the other before the cables ground to a halt, lending the story an air of mystery about how the two characters will react to one another when the lights come back on.

Our newly acquainted pair use the time to get to know about each other. Secrets are...more
♥Rachel♥
Oh.My.Goodness!!! and YUM!! Sinfully smexy!! Definitely not a YA!

Mackenna has had a long day and can think of nothing better than going home and having a big glass of wine. She's about to miss the elevator and being a nice guy, Caden holds the door for her. Mackenna, preoccupied with holding all of her bags and cell phone, only catches a glimpse of this guy's tattooed arm before the power goes out and the elevator stops. Caden for his part doesn't see anything of Mackenna except for her long red...more
Leslie
This was an unexpected and delightful surprise!

Kaye's realistic, humorous and sexy writing had me never wanting to put it down! I liked this story because it was simple yet complex all wrapped up in fun banter between the hero and heroine; who consequently become entrapped in a dark elevator for hours. Without the convenience of sight, Caden and Makenna are forced to get to know each other through voice, sounds and yes...touch.

This little novella is a refreshing breakaway of the normal "boy me...more
Karla
Wow , what a beautiful story. Imagine being plunged into total darkness with a complete stranger, sharing your most intimate secrets and seeing them with your hands. Then the lights come on and the reality of what you’ve imagined is even better, and above all you got to really know them before you were able to see them. The attraction was there when the lights went out, so Caden and Makenna, act of their feelings to see where it will take them and it’s oh so good. Sweet, emotional, passionate, a...more
Aestas Book Blog
Hearts in Darkness is my favorite novella ever! It's short (100 pages), hot and sweet and is about two strangers stranded together in a pitch-black elevator. And, even with no sight, somehow... the sparks still fly *wink* I loved it! ♥

I don't have a review up because I read this in my pre-blogging days but it a perfect read if you need something in between longer books that still will capture your heart.

Oh, and the hero is tattooed. *grins*

Crystal~BIG book addict~
What a great feel-good story! Definitely will be looking for more books by Ms. Kaye. Wish it was a little longer so we could find out what happens in the future for Caden and McKenna.

Great story of finding love in a broken down elevator....
Alexis *RealityBites! Let's Get Lost!*
This bk get's 4 1/2 stars i thought this story was so good. I love how Caden and Makenna(Red) meet in an elevator of all places and then to top it off they don't even get a glimpse of eachothers faces, but love and lust sweeps them away. When the lights go out and the elevator comes to a halt Caden has a panic attack while Makenna starts to laugh b/cuz she didn't think her day could get any worse. But everything takes a turn when the two start to open up to eachother and realize they have alot i...more
HankLover
When I first saw this guy on Cyn Mistress Kitty's profile, he immediately made an impression. And as I began to read "Hearts in Darkness", I knew in an instant who my Caden was:

My Makenna:

I’ll admit, I was initially drawn to the premise of this story. Two strangers trapped in a dark elevator together? Sounds delicious. And let’s not forget that the guy on the cover is pretty delicious, too. But I soon discovered this story is so much more than a quick, illicit tryst in an elevator.

Rarely do I fe...more
Lauren (Sugar & Snark)
Smiley
I’m not usually a fan of novellas but sometime a quickie just hits the spot! ;)

I have to admit that it was a case of cover lust that convinced me to read this book. I've been disappointed so many times before but I am happy to report that this story more then lives up to its cover.

I thought it was the perfect combination of romance and steaming hot sex!

As I said, I've never really enjoyed novellas. Mostly because you usually don’t have enough time to get to know the characters and I find I hav...more
Ingela
5 Stars - love in a dark elevator...

A wonderful short little sexy and tender novel. I was captured from the first page and did not want to stop reading for a second - it went way too fast to read it. Just the thought of a broken elevator, darkness and a nice, hot, tattooed and shapely hottie ... - well, I hardly need to say more. :-)

The story describes two people I sympathized with and liked instantly. Two very ordinary human characters who in the beginning only want to get to know each other a...more
Some Like It Hot!: Similar to Hearts in Darkness 2 47 Nov 15, 2013 04:01PM
Not Just Young Adult: Leslie's "Hearts In Darkness" Review 2 30 Apr 27, 2012 12:47PM
  • Rock Me (Ross Siblings, #2)
  • Liberating Lacey
  • Sweet as Sin
  • Simple Need (Simple Need, #1)
  • Star Crossed (Battered Hearts, #2)
  • Willing Victim
  • Lady Luck (Colorado Mountain, #3)
  • Damaged Goods
  • Lumberjack in Love
  • Finding Home
  • Seducing Cinderella (Fighting for Love, #1)
  • An Ordinary Girl
  • The Reluctant Nude
  • Midnight Angel (Midnight, #3)
  • Fallen from Grace
  • Sheltered
  • Shaken
Laura Kaye is the New York Times and USA Today Bestselling author of contemporary and paranormal romance and romantic suspense, including the Hard Ink, Heroes, and Hearts of the Anemoi series. Laura's hot, heartfelt stories are all about the universal desire for a place to belong. Laura grew up amidst family lore involving angels, ghosts, and evil-eye curses, cementing her life-long fascination wi...more
More about Laura Kaye...
One Night with a Hero (The Hero, #2) Hard as It Gets (Hard Ink, #1) Her Forbidden Hero (The Hero, #1) Hard as You Can (Hard Ink, #2) Dare to Resist (Wedding Dare, #0.5)

“I love...that elevator,” she said.

With a sleepy smile and a full heart, he turned his head and kissed into her soft hair. “Aw, Red. I love that elevator, too.”
108 likes
“Caden let out his own moan when her lips pressed against the skin in front of his ear. She exhaled roughly. The rush of her breath over his skin brought goose bumps to his neck.
He trailed soft kisses across her cheek until he found her lips.
And then he couldn’t go slow anymore.
And neither could she.”