Start by marking “Cemetery Road” as Want to Read:
Cemetery Road

Cemetery Road

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The new novel from a critically acclaimed and award-winning author - When Errol 'Handy' White returns to his native Los Angeles to attend the funeral of his old friend R.J. Burrow, who has been brutally murdered, a terrible secret threatens to reveal itself. Twenty-six years earlier, Handy, R.J. and O'Neal Holden pulled a heist that went horrible awry, and Handy's been wai ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Severn House Digital (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Cemetery Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cemetery Road

Ed
I was thrilled to run across a new fiction title from one of my favorite mystery writers, Gar Anthony Haywood. His Aaron Gunner detective series have brought me hours of reading enjoyment. His pen name Ray Shannon books were sassy and smart yarns. I got a kick out of his funny Loudermilk series, as well. CEMETERY ROAD is a stand alone hardboiled fiction set in L.A. I won't go into the plotline. What I will mention is the great sturdy prose and the astute understanding of youthful regret and guil ...more
Jim
This is the first book I've read by Gar Haywood. I read this book based on Ed's review.

When his old friend R.J. Burrow is brutally murdered in Los Angeles, Errol "Handy" White must return from exile to attend the funeral, certain that a terrible secret is about to reveal itself. (from inside jacket of book)

Overall, I would say that I enjoyed this book. However, when giving it a rating, I was torn between a 3 and a 4. I would have given it a 3.5, but because the story was complex and layered, I r
Georgiann Hennelly
This is the first time i,ve read anything by this author.This was a truly amazing read.He truly raises the bar for thriller writers. The story is set in South Central L.A.A childhood friends death brings Handy back home to resolve some consequences caused by a crime they committed in their youth. And to find the killer of his friend.
Nigel Bird
Guilt. It’s a powerful emotion, one that wrestles with heart and mind alike and usually wins with an easy pin-down. Just ask Raskolnikov and Handy White.
Cemetery Road opens with memories of the last day Handy spent in Los Angeles. The year was 1979, the smell of tar was overwhelming and Handy and his buddies O’Neal Holden and RJ Burrow are burning the money they’ve stolen from a rather unpleasant drug dealer.
It’s a shame they couldn’t have burned their guilt along with it.
Instead, the three men
Tim Chamberlain
Written for the KAZI Book Review (http://kazibookreview.wordpress.com/):

Gar Anthony Haywood, author of the Aaron Gunner Mysteries, delivers an intricate and thoughtful crime story with his newest novel, Cemetery Road.

The story centers on Errol ‘Handy’ White, who returns from Minnesota to his hometown of Los Angeles to attend the funeral of an old friend who was murdered. This friend, RJ Burrows, and another friend (O’Neal Holden, now a local politician) committed a heist with Handy that went ter
Ann
Interesting to read for many reasons including the intimate look at Los Angeles from the eyes and experiences of a former resident who sees the before and after portrait of a version of Los Angeles not often portrayed, not the glitter of Tinseltown, or the glamor of celebrity, but the gritty reality that many black residents experienced.
The story builds slowly revealing a sober reality that the best laid plans often go badly awry, and have the potential for violence and despair; as well as the
Johnny Flora
At first I wasn't going to read this novel because it is set in a gang crime ridden area of Los Angeles and this is the kind of location I've lived in and worked my entire life, so needless to say the subject at hand could easily become boring and redundant to me, but Gar Anthony Hayward is a true story technician and managed to make an honest depiction of the inner phyche of a trio of inner city, gang style brothers. Eventually after much intrigue and investigation the novel evolves and takes t ...more
James
First of all, had it not been for the ALOUD series at the Los Angeles Central Library, I don't know if or when I would ever have discovered Gar Anthony Haywood's writing. As is evidenced by my rating of this book, however, I am very grateful to have discovered his work. 'Cemetery Road' is a smart, suspenseful, well thought-out, and well organized work of crime/mystery fiction. It is not a particularly lengthy book, but it is a fantastic story that is deserving of a reader's time. There is no dou ...more
Deb Mj
I read this at a time when we were going through some family drama and, for that reason, I didn't give it the attention it so richly deserved. Still, I am struck by the wonderful plotline and the story-telling over the two periods of time encompassed by the book. Haywood's writing style is magnificent. It's expansive and wonderfully descriptive. Case in point? As Handy describes his daughter, "She had taken the sorryow of a motherless child and made a funeral blanket out of it, a shroud she coul ...more
Victoria
I really enjoyed this book - it was well-written and well-plotted. The L.A. setting interested me - the novel presented a side of the city that I had not seen before in fiction. The writing style seemed reminiscent of a very noir-fashion. The characters really came to life - all the more impressive due to the novel’s brevity (only 215 pages in the hard cover version). The entire novel packed a surprisingly powerful punch - everything the plot and the backstory unfolded into an absolutely stellar ...more
Deborah Ledford
What an amazing read! Gar Anthony Haywood raises the bar for thriller writers in this literary, yet approachable tale of a man who unwillingly, yet obsessively takes it upon himself to find the killer of a friend from their dubious past. I have highlighted so many passages in “Cemetery Road” to later return to that I don't dare lend my copy out. My plan is to now acquire everything else Mr. Haywood has written and revel in his lyrical passages.
Ryan Mishap
While fairly well-written, with a serious, sad, and older main character, I struggled to buy into the plot line. The past comes back to get ya is one theme. The elegiac atmosphere cast a pall over the story, which is great sometimes but it gave the whole book a flat tone. Nobody but the main character really gets illuminated. I can't say my main problem without spoilers, so, let's say for Haywood completists?
woody
I am torn over this review. I really enjoyed the book, the writing was very good and I thought the story was thought provoking. However the language was pretty bad. I suppose you just try and skip over it. That being said I enjoyed how the story line developed by going from the present to 26 years ago.
I would have given 5 stars if not for the language.
Jessica
I enjoyed the complexity of what the three young men actually did back in the 70's. The way the author doles out scraps of information throughout the entire story really help to keep you guessing the whole way. Then, once you get to the end and have it all put together, it becomes very clear. Enjoyable crime mystery.
Kathleen
A marvelous character study as well as a suspenseful, well plotted mystery. Haywood's story examines the crushing burden of guilt and loss on the self and family and friends.
The story provides a gritty and realistic view of South Central Los Angeles without being over-the-top noir.
Kitty
3 friends committed a robbery of a drug dealer. Anything that could go wrong did. To avoid suspicion they separated and have not seen each other for years. Now one of them has been murdered. Is this related to the long ago robbery, and are the other 2 next. Just OK to read.
Frank Spinney
I am just starting this book, based on all the talk and recommendations I have heard read on Goodread. Thanks all!!!Cemetery Road
G8tes
I really enjoyed this one. It's very well written with interesting characters and great pacing. I liked how the back story, which is the cause of the guilt which drives the story, is revealed little by little throughout the book. I'd recommend it.
Tyler
Pretty solid mystery/drama of a ex-small time criminal confronting his past. As generic as it sounds, this is actually a really interesting story and title character. I look forward to his next book.
Ellyne
Extremely well-written especially because he kept going back in the past to keep the story moving. It was a little slow moving for my taste but it was quite exciting and inviting.
Joella Tunnell
My first time reading anything by Haywood, and liked his writing and the story line. About 3 young thieves in LA, and the aftermath of a heist gone bad even 26 years later.
Gouldma
A compelling story of the deeds of 3 high schoolers gone wrong in a way that haunts them through adulthood. This was my first Gar Anthony Haywood read.
John
Errol ‘Handy’ White comes on as a quite likable character being a handyman who repairs objects they now would call "vintage". It makes me curious to read on.
Brandon Nagel
My first by this author. Great characters, really good story. I will be picking up more from Haywood in the future.
Ellen
This was my first book by this author. I enjoyed it and will look for more of his work. It's gritty and realistic.
Susan Welch
Oct 27, 2010 Susan Welch is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
BL Year's Best Crime Novels May 1, 2010
hold placed 10/26/2010
Tammy
Jan 11, 2010 Tammy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Mystery recommended by American Libraries magazine.
Lukas
I love this book.
Adrian Lee
Adrian Lee marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Silencer (Thorn, #11)
  • Mist Over the Water (Aelf Fen, #2)
  • Midnight Alley
  • Black Orchid Blues
  • The Lost Treasures of R&B
  • The Negro Problem
  • The Book of American Negro Poetry
  • The Quest of the Silver Fleece: A Novel
  • Wake Up Dead: A Cape Town Thriller
  • Living Witness (Gregor Demarkian, #24)
  • 7th Son: Book Three - Destruction
  • Secret Dead Men
  • The Blackbird Papers
  • Slide (Max & Angela, #2)
  • Vanished
  • On the Line (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #10)
  • Six Easy Pieces (Easy Rawlins #8)
  • Miss Nobody (Shaw Family Saga, Book 1)
aka Ray Shannon.

Gar Anthony Harwood also writes as Ray Shannon. He has won the Shamus and Anthony Award for his mystery fiction. He writes stand-alone novels and short-stories as well as series. He has also written for the Los Angeles Times and the New York Times, written scripts for television drama series (e.g. New York Undercover and the District) and Movies of the Week for ABC. He is a member
More about Gar Anthony Haywood...
Going Nowhere Fast (Joe & Dottie Loudermilk, #1) Nowhere to Go and All Day to Get There Bad News Travels Fast (The Joe and Dottie Loudermilk Mysteries) Assume Nothing All the Lucky Ones Are Dead (Aaron Gunner, #6)