Atomic Robo and the Deadly Art of Science (Atomic Robo, #5)

Atomic Robo and the Deadly Art of Science (Atomic Robo #5)

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  339 ratings  ·  31 reviews
1930's#58; A young ATOMIC ROBO yearns for adventure and excitement beyond the lessons of his creator, Nikola Tesla. Meanwhile, a mad scientist's quest for immortality puts the entire island of Manhattan in danger! It's up to ROBO's forbidden moonlighting team-up with vigilante gunfighter / incredibly reluctant mentor JACK TAROT to put a stop to it. Features a man with two...more
Published August 9th 2011 by Red 5 Comics (first published July 26th 2011)

Kurt
Jan 30, 2012 Kurt rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with a heart and a sense of adventure
Recommended to Kurt by: Matt
The latest collection of Atomic Robo stories does not disappoint. This time, readers are treated to a story from the robot's early days, and we get to see him as a wide-eyed emotional adolescent, chasing adventures like the heroes in his beloved pulp stories. It's heartwarming and wonderful, with some stylish action and an impressive scene of Tesla doing a little superheroing of his own.

The highlight of this collection, though, is the Free Comic Book Day issue, which involves mayhem at a scienc...more
Trike
I was a bit worried that they might start lagging with the terrificality, but it's still going full bore. This is a flashback to Robo's early days, and it's fun to see him as the less-than-competent neophyte battling thugs and the evil Edison.

As soon as I finished this I sent an email to Scott Wegener asking if there will be a large-format hardcover of Atomic Robo released any time soon, and he said one will be out in December. I now know the first item on my Christmas list!
Gary Hoggatt
Atomic Robo and the Deadly Art of Science, the fifth and latest installment (2011) of the adventures of Nikola Tesla's wisecracking robotic action scientist, takes us all the way back to the 1930's, when Robo is a young lad eager to get out of Mr. Tesla's lab and start living.

In this volume, Atomic Robo gets tangled up with Jack Tarot, crime-bustin' vigilante, and in the process learns how to put the "action" into action science. The mystery is good fun, and the chemistry between Robo has with T...more
Ben Mckenzie
Feb 09, 2012 Ben Mckenzie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ben by: Nichole O'Duffy
Not my favourite Robo volume - I find young Robo less engaging than his grown up self - but still, lots of fun. Seeing Tesla in more than a flashback was grand, too! It was a shame that new adventurer Jack Tarot had to spend most of his on-panel time being annoyed by Robo, but he and his daughter were fun too. I'm not sure about the romance sub-plot, though; if Robo were a human character underplaying it like this would be great, but I felt like it deserved more attention - especially since the...more
Devon
I didn't find Atomic Robo and the Deadly Art of Science as compelling as other volumes, and I would say this is probably one of the weakest in the series. I'm not exactly sure why - it was still fun to read, but I didn't feel as close to the side characters as in other volumes. It was interesting to see Robo's "formative years", as it were, and the influences that affected the science hero he becomes.
Mike
I didn't think these guys could stretch their characters any further - that they'd just be stuck in the rut of where they'd been - but apparently I underestimate our creators. Robo as a wide-eyed child, desperate to enter a world of *adventure*, is at once a great new character and hilarious by comparison to the one we already know.

Great story and great art as always - surprises continue to emerge into my view, but the quality of effort and execution are ever-present.

The FCBD issue at the end is...more
Kathy
Think film noir (world-weary detective/masked hero and strong, smart women), but with bullet-proof robots (one with a goofy, puppy-like personality), Tesla, and Edison as a mad scientist out to take over the world.
Terrence
I think this one has been my favourite volume yet. I loved the setting, seeing more interaction with Tesla, and Jack Tarot and his daughter were just plain fun and awesome.

Seriously, this comic is just great fun, fantastic dialogue and exciting storytelling.
Mike Marlow
Robo in training! This stuff just never gets old (holy cow, am I a geek). The worlds of action science and crime fighting cross over when Robo teams up with Jack Tarot, a noir-esque vigilante who's been tracking a series of thefts. No spoilers here, but an old enemy of Tesla's is behind it. Great stuff once again from Clevinger and Wegener.
Alan
With Atomic Robo's long history (he was built by Nikola Tesla) creators Brian Clevinger and Scott Wegener have more than a 100 years to play around with telling stories. This tale is set during the U.S. Depression of the 1930s and draws some of its inspiration from a "young" Robo and classic pulp characters (see the introduction of Jack Tarot). This volume is not as good as previous stories. I think some of the miss was the Jack Tarot character, and the bigger problem was introducing and playing...more
Itinerant Hobbyist
Ok, this was te most enjoyable one so far - my son says I've said this about all of them...so I guess they're getting better with each volume.
Bookstorequeer
I really enjoy this volume! It was so much fun seeing young Robo, acting like a kid, star-struck and not wanting to do science with Mr Tesla because it's boooooring! It's too perfect. I really feel like this collection picked up from the last one, bringing back what I love about the series, especially the snappy writing.

I was reading it in transit and grinning like a fool because I was trying not to laugh out loud. It's definitely a great one and probably a good place for any newcomer to start....more
Rick
This is actually my favorite volume of the series. Young Atomic Robo is a lot more spunky, fun, and headstrong. The Hellboy influence does shine through a little more when dealing with young Robo, but considering I enjoy that style of writing, I'll roll with it. I also enjoy the Edison/Tesla rivalry that is the foundation of the conflict here. The art, as usual, is simplistic and sparse but gets the job done.
Coco
I love young Robo's 'cursing'. "Holy socks! Oh, crumbs! Applesauce!" Also, Nikola Tesla gets to be pretty bad-ass. And Robo's pretty obnoxious when he's trying to learn how to be an action hero! Nikola and Robo's interactions are always the best.

Favorite quote from the Free Comic Book Day issue: "THIS IS THE SOUND OF BULLETS KILLING YOU!!!"
Sage Latorra
This may have been my least favorite volume. That's a bit surprising, as it does more to advance the overarching plotlines than any other volume. But it just didn't have much I enjoyed, the pulpy feel fell flat to me. Still, a bad volume of Atomic Robo is better than about 90% of the comics out there, well worth reading.
Stacy
Sep 01, 2011 Stacy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
I thought I'd read the previous volumes of this awesome comic, but apparently not. Even with minimal context, it easy to jump right in and follow along, functioning as a stand-alone adventure within the established continuity. Funny, sharp, great art and some of the most endearing characters in contemporary comics.
Wendy
We get a little more perspective on Tesla, which was EXCELLENT. Plus, Robo's beginnings as an action hero. The action was well-paced, easy to follow and the dialog was quick and not too distracting from the story itself. And you can't beat a repeat visit from Dr. Dinosaur.
Jeremy
Seriously, you NEED to be reading Atomic Robo if you aren't already! The mix of pulp action with humor and science just gels beautifully in this series. Brian's writing is hilarious and Scott's art is so dynamic. SRSLY read this series.
Jason
As always, Atomic Robo is awesome. In volume 5, we see Robo get mentored under Jack Tarot (who is alot like the old pulp hero The Shadow)Plus the addition of the free comic book day issue.
Zach Danielson
Action Science! Killer Robots! Mystical Artifacts! Masked Vigilantes! Young (Robot) Love!

Atomic Robo continues to be one of my favorite comic series ever.
Angela
Atomic Robo wants to be a vigilante and finds himself one to teach him. You also find out what the issue is with Edison. Not a bad read, fun, light and quick.
Paul McNamee
Atomic Robo. Tesla's epic battle of the currents with Edison. Jack Tarot (rhymes with The Shadow.) Manbot-woman romance. 'nough said.
Traci Haley
They keep getting better and better! The "love story" in this book was sweet, and Robo's young self is so eager and earnest -- love him! <3
Brian
Very good, like most Atomic Robo stuff. Nice flashback series, more Tesla and even a little Dr. Dinosaur! Action Science!
Jacob
I like the first book best still, but this one was good. Probably the 2nd best story of the 5 books.
Hoss
Just when I think I can't love the character more, it turns out I do. I have a huge crush on the author.
Scott wachter
atomic robo is everything that is good in comic books. and this volume is crazy awesome.
Robert Plett
Awesome read! Loved the Tesla/Edison relation in the comic.
Sam
Robo gets kissed! OMG!
  • Ignition City Volume 1
  • B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, Vol. 1: New World (B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, #1)
  • Chew, Vol. 6: Space Cakes
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 2: Crossroads
  • Incognito, Volume 2: Bad Influences (Incognito, #2)
  • Irredeemable, Vol. 9
  • Astro City Vol. 8: Shining Stars
  • East of West, Vol. 2: We Are All One
  • Scalped, Volume 8: You Gotta Sin to Get Saved
  • Nowhere Men, Vol. 1: Fates Worse Than Death
Brian Clevinger is best known as the author of the most popular sprite webcomic, and one of the most popular webcomics overall, 8-Bit Theater. He is also the author of the self-published novel Nuklear Age. Clevinger has recently received attention for his Eisner-nominated print comic Atomic Robo.

Claiming that his "favorite comics are the ones where the jokes are on the reader," Clevinger is an e...more
More about Brian Clevinger...
Atomic Robo and the Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne (Atomic Robo, #1) Atomic Robo and the Dogs of War (Atomic Robo, #2) Atomic Robo and the Shadow from Beyond Time (Atomic Robo, #3) Atomic Robo and Other Strangeness (Atomic Robo, #4) Atomic Robo Volume 6: The Ghost of Station X (Atomic Robo, #6)