The Bride

The Bride (Lairds' Fiancées #1)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  28,020 ratings  ·  954 reviews
By edict of the king, the mighty Scottish laird Alec Kincaid must take an English bride. His choice was Jamie, the feisty youngest daughter of Baron Jamison. Alec ached to touch her, to tame her, to possess her forever. But Jamie vowed never to surrender to this highland barbarian. Though his kisses fired her blood, shadowed secrets from Alec's past threatened Jamie's happ...more
Published June 1st 2011 by Dutton Books (first published 1989)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
I'm not feeling very literate today, so I am going to compose this review around a list of reasons why I loved this book.

Reasons Why I Loved The Bride by Julie Garwood

1. Jamie is a great heroine. Okay, she might have some Mary Sue-ness going on, although I hate using that term. She is really gorgeous, very nice, oh-so sweet, great at pretty much everything, giving, and self-sacrificing. However, she's totally loveable. For me, that's the opposite of a Mary Sue, because Mary Sues are characters...more
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
Huge 5+ Stars

I loved this book. It's one of those feel good stories that leaves you smiling for days. If I was to sum-up this book with one word, "delightful" comes to mind.I honestly can't think of a better word to describe the experience I had while reading it.

Jamie has become one of my all time favorite heroines. Julie Garwood has a way of writing heroines that are strong willed without becoming annoying (hard to do in my opinion.) Jamie'sone of the most endearing character I've read. She's i...more
Ronyell
Now as you have noticed, I have been reading many historical romance novels lately and some of my favorite types of historical romance novels have to deal with Highlanders since the men in those novels are ultra sexy! Well, Julie Garwood’s “The Bride,” is definitely no exception and it was the first book that I have read from romance author Julie Garwood. “The Bride” is surely one hot romantic story that will set your romantic senses afire!

By order of King Henry and King Edgar, the strong and mi...more
Duchess Nicole
"Did you get a good look at her, then?" he added in a rush.
Alec nodded.
"You'll be taking her with you, won't you?" The Kincaid stared at the old man a long minute before answering.
"Aye, Beak. I'll be taking her with me."

An absolute must read for any Garwood fans! Quite simply a treasure of a historical romance. If you can get ahold of the audio, this is one of the better narrators I've heard as well. If not, the story stands on it's own, a masterpiece set in the Scottish Highlands.

This is the...more
Ingela
4,5 sparkling Stars - for a fun and really entertaining sweet historical romance

This romance is both sweet, romantic, a little silly and very funny. It's predictable but so very charming and well done that I stuck completely in the cute trap. A story that made me smile and feel so good - a perfect "feelgood" to read for all lovesick romantics.
“Aye, Beak. I'll be taking her with me." The choice had been made.”
~ ~ ~ ~
Julie James
I'd rate this 3.75 stars (or whatever a B minus rating would convert to).

I wanted to love this book because it's a favorite for so many readers, but couldn't quite get there. There were several parts that made me smile, like when the heroine wears black to her wedding, and when she dumps water on the soldiers who are making fun of English women. And the ending was great, with the jewels. (I won't say more for spoiler purposes.)

My main problem connecting with the book lies with the heroine, who...more
Mo
I MUST SAY SAY THAT I LOVED THIS BOOK….. will get back to proper reviewing soon! AFTER MY ROAD TRIP TO IRELAND ....xxI

Susanne
Outstanding and amazing! Where is the sixth star?

I waited forever for this book but it was well worth the wait - it was utterly amazing. I laughed so much. I am so glad that JG didn't listen to the expert who told her to downplay the humor and gave in to the urge. It was hilarious! But the humor didn't take away the divine romance between Alec and Jamie.

The trouble with too good books is that there is no words to do it justice. I loved everything about this book! Alec was an amazing über hot her...more
Lisa Kay
Photobucket
★★★★★ What can I say about this story other than a classic Julie Garwood book still delivers? I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve read this one; thought I’d try the audiobook this time. The narration, by Rosalyn Landor, brings this book to life. I’ll be seeking out more of her audiobooks.
Joana

I need to say first, that I freakin LOVE this book!!!!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Now, let's crack up the review, shall we?

" You've just described the Highlands in winter,lass. And you will marry me."
"Never."
Exactly one hour later, Lady Jamison was wed to Alec Kincaid.

By orders of his king, Alec Kincaid must take an english bride. So alongside with Daniel, he goes to pick one of baron's Jamison daughters.
And well, after getting some ad...more
KatLynne
Re-read again and still loving this fun, medieval romance and all those sexy Highlanders:)!
Jayne
(from my book blog)

Some of you may remember that I had an ambitious (for me) TBR list that included two SRS books, and The Hunger Games. It will surprise none of you that I made it through The Hunger Games before I decided that was enough heavy shit and people dying. I decided it was time for some lighter fare, or at least a book that didn’t prominently involve death. Enter The Bride by Julie Garwood and its 172 5-star reviews on Amazon. Because apparently the fanatically positive reviews for Sh...more
Lelyana Taufik
THE BRIDE
BY JULIE GARWOOD

Once upon a time di negri yang jauh sekali di tahun 1102 di Skotlandia dan Inggris, kisah ini di mulai....In my opinion, this is a really sweet love story..let’s begin.
Alec Kincaid di gosipkan membunuh istri pertama nya dua tahun yll, dalam kondisi seperti itu dia di minta mengambil pengantin baru dari orang Inggris, atas permintaan Raja nya.
Di pilh lah anak-anak perempuan keluarga yang malas membayar pajak,keluarga Baron Jamison, yang memiliki 3 anak perempuan,dan 1 a...more
Didi
This was the first Julie Garwood novel I've read---I know, I know, shame on me!--- and it was great! I loved the setting, the sweet and slow romance that develops between Jamie and Alec and especially the love that blossoms between them.

I couldn't understand why Alec would give her such a hard time, making her work for his attention at times just to withhold it indefinitely at others. He seemed too arrogant and abrasive with Jamie but I came to understand his way of thinking. I got that he wasn'...more
Karla
Just great fun!! Unrealistic at times, but the characters are so charming and absorbing that you just want to see where the story takes you. Oh Alec...YUM! I wanted to peel him off the pages of the book. Set in his ways he is challenged on every level by Jamie, his snarky, sassy, no sense of direction, always pondering new bride. She has no clue as to the effect she has not only on Alec, but everyone who she comes in contact with. He, as well as his entire clan, are totally smitten with her. As...more
Crista
This past week, I've been revisiting "old favorites" to see if they stand up to my initial impression. The Bride is one of those books that I read years ago and have never forgotten. Rereading it, I was reminded of why.

I think the true strength of this book lies within the heroine. Jaime is just a great lady. She is refreshingly honest, loyal, and quite a determined young woman. She is IMPOSSIBLE not to love, and as this book flies by, her actions and motives become oh so endearing. She is funn...more
Mili
I have to say I was disappointed by this book. I love Julie Garwood and she is a wonderful author but this just didn't pass muster. The story it self was just fine, it's the characters that bugged me to no end. The way the characters were written was very confusing because at the beginning you are miss lead that the heroine is a strong and independent woman who is capable and smart, yet a few chapters later and a few conversations with her and all those descriptions are tossed out the window and...more
Melanie
I loved loved LOVED this book! Jamie was so feisty, and spunky enough to stand up to hunky Alec, who had strict opinions about how ladies should act.. Good thing Jamie overthrew them all!! :-) Now one of my favorite books! :-)
Silvana**Pebbles, no relation to Fred** -SLiTsRead
5 Stars!

The Bride was such an easy read, simply perfect. One of the 'you can't put down till you reach the last page' kind of books, the writing never drags and the story line, though not original, was well executed. It was also funny, the banter between the main characters was hilarious- Their relationship was a delight to read about, no unnecessary angst and jealousy, just two people getting to know and love each other despite their differences.

The heroine usually is the make or break of the b...more
Red
A fun, quick read. Takes place in historical Scotland, when nearly naked kilt-wearing Scots were everywhere. I have no idea how historically (in)accurate this story is, and I don't care. The heroine has pretty modern ideas and manners, which I don't mind either. This story had a nice balance of eye candy, humor, steam and Kilts to keep me happy.
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
This has to be the cheesiest, most predictable, sappy historical romance novel EVER and I loved every moment of it.

Updated- oops..forgot to rate it.
Shelly
Alaine
Jan 02, 2009 Alaine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance readers who like their books set in Scottish Highlands.
Recommended to Alaine by: Sheree
Maybe I was just in the mood for a really good romance but I loved this book. It reminded me of Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew which is my favourite Shakespeare. The characters where interesting and the book had a twist to it that added an element of mystery to the story. Over the years my favourite historical romance books have all reminded me of Taming of the Shrew so I guess it's fair to say that I like the heroins to be strong and stubborn and I like my heroes to have a certain amount of...more
Shell Schroth
I tried to like this book, I really tried.

I went into this story with such enthusiasm cause of all the fantastic rating my GR community had been given it. It had some great moments, I will admit, but they were too few and far between to make the story itself great.

In the past, I started another of her books, Castles (Crown's Spies, #4)   by Julie Garwood, and couldn't make it past the first few chapters. I think I may have to admit this particular author's style, is simply not my 'cup of tea'
Carolyn F.
Re-read by audiobook. I also have the paperback.

The narrator did a great job for as bad as the sound quality is. I enjoyed the book the second time just as much as the first.

Complaint about the cover - she wore black to tick the groom off at her wedding so why the cover shows a girl in white is beyond me.

review on 12/18/09Absolutely loved this book, so funny and sweet. Just love the hero and heroine (as I do in most of her books). Totally recommend it.
Karen Booklover
Wow what an amazing book. This is just the second book I have read of julie garwwod and she is on her way to becoming one of my favorite authors of all time.

Mitzi
Very good Book. Love the narration! Reread/listened to audio book Sept 2012. Love it again!
Mandi Schreiner
Alec Kincaid is my Scottish warrior husband. Y'all better step back.
Jewels ♥ My Devastating Reads
I love love LOVE this book! What a romance. Garwood had me captivated from the first pages right up to the end. I think what hooked me was the premise: two sisters being forced to marry Scottish lairds because their father is a fool who forgot to pay their taxes. I'm a sucker for these ridiculous storylines were the couple know practically nothing about each and have to marry and then fall in love.

But what truly made me love this book was the characters. I have to love Jamie. Now, most heroines...more
Autumn
Well, there a couple of reviews that would make mine redundant. i still would give it a try since it was a Pick-it-for me challenge book.

for starters let me clarify its my first romance book that is dated so far back as the 1100`s!! **gasps**

I personally enjoyed the characters and their bantering. Alec being a Highlander, possessive,proud warrior shows a lot of his internal struggles and weaknesses as a the alpha men he is supposed to be in that time period.His love and admiration for Jamie make...more
Let's Talk About ...: The Bride (Lairds' Fiancees #1) 33 69 Sep 09, 2014 04:46PM
Looking for a book 46 290 Aug 29, 2014 06:29AM
Western and Medie...: BOM: October 2012 3 24 Oct 10, 2012 08:44AM
New member 3 134 Jul 13, 2012 10:07AM
  • Born in Sin (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #3)
  • Something Wonderful (Sequels, #2)
  • Untamed (MacKinnon's Rangers, #2)
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • Never Love a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #3)
  • Laird of the Mist (MacGregors, #1)
  • The Ranger (Highland Guard, #3)
  • The Blood of Roses (Highlands, #2)
  • Dreaming of You (Gamblers, #2)
  • In Bed With A Stranger (McJames, #1)
  • Dream of Me/Believe in Me (Viking & Saxon, #1 & #2)
  • The Chieftain (Return of the Highlanders, #4)
Julie Murphy was born in 1946 in Kansas City, Missouri to a large Irish family. At the age of six, Julie had her tonsils removed and complications from the surgery resulted in a long period of recuperation. She fell hopelessly behind in school and never caught up. "I was a slow, slow reader," Julie says. "I hated it." At the age of 11, her mother discovered her daughter's secret and promptly enrol...more
More about Julie Garwood...
The Secret (Highlands' Lairds #1) Honor's Splendour Ransom (Highlands' Lairds, #2) The Prize The Wedding (Lairds' Fiancées, #2)

“She still hadn't caught on. Alec sighed. "Change your gown, Jamie, if that's your inclination. I prefer white. Now go and do my bidding. The hour grows late and we must be on our way."

He'd deliberately lengthened his speech, giving her time to react to his announcement. He thought he was being most considerate.

She thought he was demented.

Jamie was, at first, too stunned to do more than stare in horror at the warlord. When she finally gained her voice, she shouted, "It will be a frigid day in heaven before I marry you, milord, a frigid day indeed."

"You've just described the Highlands in winter, lass. And you will marry me."

"Never."

Exactly one hour later, Lady Jamison was wed to Alec Kincaid.”
47 likes
“My wife."
"By what name is she called, Kincaid?"
"Mine.”