Start by marking “The Bride” as Want to Read:
The Bride

The Bride (Lairds' Fiancées #1)

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  41,618 Ratings  ·  1,548 Reviews
An arranged marriage leads to passionate love in this classic Scottish historical romance from #1 New York Times bestselling author Julie Garwood.

By edict of the king, the mighty Scottish laird Alec Kincaid must take an English bride. His choice is Jamie, youngest daughter of Baron Jamison—a feisty, violet-eyed beauty. Alec aches to touch her, to tame her, to possess he
Published June 1st 2011 by Dutton Books (first published July 1989)

Val ⚓️ Shameless & Bitchy Skanky ⚓️ Steamy Reads Mrs. Danvers-Tate-Snow
This is one of my ALL-TIME TOP FAVORITE historical romance books.

I actually have the pink flowered paperback version - which was released in 1989 - and I think I first read it when I was 12 years old...in 1995.

description

Let's just say that my Dad had NO idea what he was buying me lol.

description

There, there, Pops. There, there...

I had had to get my sexual educational from somewhere, right?

LOLZ.

Anyway, I am mentioning this now because I just snagged the kindle version of this bad boy (and it's sequel (The Wedding
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
5 Lady Kincaid Stars

photo 8506973_zps5cjrevzw.gif

The Bride is the first book I have read from Julie Garwood and I loved it. I loved the set up, the plot, and love Jamie and Alec! I love me some sexy Scottish highland romances and this one was great. From the start Alec shined. He was so sexy, cocky and 100% bad ass Scottish warrior! But what I loved most about Alec was he had a tender side. Don't get me wrong though Alec could be damn ruthless when he needed. Jamie had me laughing. She was the perfect blend of sassy, brave
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I'm not feeling very literate today, so I am going to compose this review around a list of reasons why I loved this book.

Reasons Why I Loved The Bride by Julie Garwood

1. Jamie is a great heroine. Okay, she might have some Mary Sue-ness going on, although I hate using that term. She is really gorgeous, very nice, oh-so sweet, great at pretty much everything, giving, and self-sacrificing. However, she's totally loveable. For me, that's the opposite of a Mary Sue, because Mary Sues are characters
Kristen
Huge 5+ Stars

I loved this book. It's one of those feel good stories that leaves you smiling for days.  If I was to sum-up this book with one word, "delightful" comes to mind.  I honestly can't think of a better word to describe the experience I had while reading it.

Jamie has become one of my all time favorite heroines. Julie Garwood has a way of writing heroines that are strong willed without becoming annoying (hard to do in my opinion.) Jamie's one of the most endearing character I've read. Sh
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)

15%! ... And here we goes for the fastest DNF of 2016! (what do you mean I'm not supposed to celebrate)

Before buying an historical book, go check the period of time of the story, would you? Truth is, I started hyperventilating when I saw that little England, 1102 written at the top of chapter one.

Why, you ask?

Because there's no hiding behind the fact that these times weren't women rights friendly and that I, for one, don't enjoy reading about girls being sold to some OMG-a-bulky-highlander!
Danielle

Highlander romances never really appealed to me, well, because I like my men in pants. The whole kilt thing just doesn't do it for me, but I have to put that aside, or I'd miss out on a lot of great gems like The Bride. And the great thing about books, is that I can just imagine he has pants on. . . or not.

These highlander stories are always brutes whisking women away (willingly or unwillingly... I might prefer the latter) to their Scottish castle, and I can pretend I'm a damsel in distress with
Stacey is Sassy
The Bride audio was everything I was hoping for and more

Julie Garwood is the reason I love reading romance. I started reading her books at the tender age of 16...ish. After my first, I was addicted and used all my pocket money to buy more. Of course, I eventually exhausted the bookstore's supply so then I was forced to re-read them over and over and over again.

I dreamed of highland heroes who were rough and even a wee bit scary. These scary men were ferocious in the start but then we see them
Ronyell
Now as you have noticed, I have been reading many historical romance novels lately and some of my favorite types of historical romance novels have to deal with Highlanders since the men in those novels are ultra sexy! Well, Julie Garwood’s “The Bride,” is definitely no exception and it was the first book that I have read from romance author Julie Garwood. “The Bride” is surely one hot romantic story that will set your romantic senses afire!

By order of King Henry and King Edgar, the strong and mi
Julie James
May 06, 2012 Julie James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd rate this 3.75 stars (or whatever a B minus rating would convert to).

I wanted to love this book because it's a favorite for so many readers, but couldn't quite get there. There were several parts that made me smile, like when the heroine wears black to her wedding, and when she dumps water on the soldiers who are making fun of English women. And the ending was great, with the jewels. (I won't say more for spoiler purposes.)

My main problem connecting with the book lies with the heroine, who
Nenia Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

It's always nerve-wracking to read a romance that's considered by many to be a "classic" and is beloved by many - especially when you're an individual whose literary tastes often go against the grain. But THE BRIDE went on sale for Kindle and I bought it, and then it was voted as our December book of the month in my romance book club, so it seemed like I was destined to read it.

I haven't read a lot of Scottish romances. The only one I've re
Mo
Jun 30, 2013 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I MUST SAY SAY THAT I LOVED THIS BOOK….. will get back to proper reviewing soon! AFTER MY ROAD TRIP TO IRELAND ....xxI

NiCoLeTa E.
What a charming story was that!!!

Really, guys!!! That book caught me by surprise...
I'm used to read renegence historical romance and this medieval was my first, but i enjoyed it very much.
I won't lie to you. In the beginning, i was a little bit lost, but then the storyline captivated me...
No, no, no... I don't think that it was the story only...
I really loved this couple and especially Jamie...
She made me laughing all the time with her actions...
And she manage to make the cruel, wild warrior
Karen
Sep 07, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Listened to the audiobook. The narrator was excellent with her accents, but I found her to be just a tad bit too dramatic. It took a little while to get used to her.
Ingela
4,5 sparkling Stars - for a fun and really entertaining sweet historical romance

This romance is both sweet, romantic, a little silly and very funny. It's predictable but so very charming and well done that I stuck completely in the cute trap. A story that made me smile and feel so good - a perfect "feelgood" to read for all lovesick romantics.
“Aye, Beak. I'll be taking her with me." The choice had been made.”
~ ~ ~ ~
Duchess Nicole
"Did you get a good look at her, then?" he added in a rush.
Alec nodded.
"You'll be taking her with you, won't you?" The Kincaid stared at the old man a long minute before answering.
"Aye, Beak. I'll be taking her with me."

An absolute must read for any Garwood fans! Quite simply a treasure of a historical romance. If you can get ahold of the audio, this is one of the better narrators I've heard as well. If not, the story stands on it's own, a masterpiece set in the Scottish Highlands.

This is the
Jayne
Jul 10, 2012 Jayne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
(from my book blog)

Some of you may remember that I had an ambitious (for me) TBR list that included two SRS books, and The Hunger Games. It will surprise none of you that I made it through The Hunger Games before I decided that was enough heavy shit and people dying. I decided it was time for some lighter fare, or at least a book that didn’t prominently involve death. Enter The Bride by Julie Garwood and its 172 5-star reviews on Amazon. Because apparently the fanatically positive reviews for Sh
Mili
Aug 29, 2011 Mili rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say I was disappointed by this book. I love Julie Garwood and she is a wonderful author but this just didn't pass muster. The story it self was just fine, it's the characters that bugged me to no end. The way the characters were written was very confusing because at the beginning you are miss lead that the heroine is a strong and independent woman who is capable and smart, yet a few chapters later and a few conversations with her and all those descriptions are tossed out the window and ...more
Gi's Spot Reviews
4.5 'Untamed' Stars

This was my first Julia Garwood, and one of the few historical sovereign read so far and it got me hooked on her style and characters!
This couple was absolutely perfect! They captured me from the very start. Interesting and dynamic, steamy hot and banter filled, The Bride really had everything I look for in Romance
For me, her family situation, and even the feel of some scenes and attitudes really was reminiscent of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, one of my all time favs.
On
Susanne
Outstanding and amazing! Where is the sixth star?

I waited forever for this book but it was well worth the wait - it was utterly amazing. I laughed so much. I am so glad that JG didn't listen to the expert who told her to downplay the humor and gave in to the urge. It was hilarious! But the humor didn't take away the divine romance between Alec and Jamie.

The trouble with too good books is that there is no words to do it justice. I loved everything about this book! Alec was an amazing über hot her
Lakshmi C
Nov 25, 2016 Lakshmi C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Bride was as good as a double gooey chocolate brownie. It was captivating, witty and absolutely perfect.

I loved Jamie and Alec for themselves and as a couple. Alec was an arrogant warrior with a tender heart, Jamie was quick, feisty and relentless. Both of them were engaged in a battle of wits and wills, I was grinning through most of it.
Both of them are smitten but their bond evolves at a realistic pace. No insta love or mind numbing longing in this one.

The story is set in the Scottish high
Kazy
2.5 Stars

photo 18655886_zpszafv1hps.gif

This was a disappointing read. Maybe my expectations were too high because I love me some arranged marriages. But Alec quickly and swiftly sent my expectations tumbling wayyyyy down. Now a little bit of brute in a man is sexy, but he was just an utter a**hole who had me shaking my head most of the book wondering...
 photo 20073079_zpsfhjrdxh7.gif
When he wasn't thinking or saying this..
 photo 19325690_zpsejrciu2z.gif
He was thinking or saying this...
 photo 19325693_zpsarovdush.gif
Or sitting around with his friends saying...
 photo -GJMy1nI2pVx_zpsmumvly8u.gif

And when he wasn't getting on my nerves, Jamie was.
Lisa Kay
Photobucket
★★★★★ What can I say about this story other than a classic Julie Garwood book still delivers? I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve read this one; thought I’d try the audiobook this time. The narration, by Rosalyn Landor, brings this book to life. I’ll be seeking out more of her audiobooks.
JewelsyGoolsy
I didn't dislike this book but I did find myself struggling to continue in the first 40% of the story. I'm not normally a fan of historical romances although I did love Transcendence and Truce: The Historic Neighbor from Hell but they both had a contemporary/modern element written around it. It wasn't all that bad for me because after struggling at the beginning with my connection to the storyline, I started to warm up to it more and even felt entertained with it till the end. I guess I'd have t ...more
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Jun 30, 2016 ᴥ Irena ᴥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Well, this was fun. I am glad I started reading historical romances only a couple of years back. Now I have tons of books to catch up on when I am in the mood for a historical romance.
So, what's to like in this book? Well, both characters are great. Alec has that caveman personality and since people today consider 'it's *insert current year*' enough to justify their opinions I don't see why the same thing couldn't be applied to this book. It takes place in 1100s Scotland. The Middle Ages. In an
Elfina Renee
Jan 17, 2016 Elfina Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Sometimes you need to read something different. A book taking place in a far away way land, where the people are ruled by kings, lusty lords and lairds following his proclamations. Futures are given within a blink of an eye and titles are fought and died for. Julie Garwood does an amazing job capturing the sights and sounds of Scotland and allowing us readers to bring home a taste with us. Its almost as if you were really there. You can practically hear the bagpipes, Side Drums, Whistles & F ...more
Jamie
LOVE LOVE LOVED!!!!!

Joana

I need to say first, that I freakin LOVE this book!!!!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Now, let's crack up the review, shall we?

" You've just described the Highlands in winter,lass. And you will marry me."
"Never."
Exactly one hour later, Lady Jamison was wed to Alec Kincaid.

By orders of his king, Alec Kincaid must take an english bride. So alongside with Daniel, he goes to pick one of baron's Jamison daughters.
And well, after getting some a
Crista
This past week, I've been revisiting "old favorites" to see if they stand up to my initial impression. The Bride is one of those books that I read years ago and have never forgotten. Rereading it, I was reminded of why.

I think the true strength of this book lies within the heroine. Jaime is just a great lady. She is refreshingly honest, loyal, and quite a determined young woman. She is IMPOSSIBLE not to love, and as this book flies by, her actions and motives become oh so endearing. She is funn
~Nichole~  Sizzling Pages Romance Reviews
When I close a book after the final words and sit and feel like I just took a journey and I simply find myself in a state of wonder.. I know that was an epic read. Reading addicts like myself are always after that next great read. The one that simply takes us over so that when real life interrupts the pleasure we simply can't stop thinking about the story or when we'll get to go back to it. I for one will find myself slowly finishing it after devouring the first 80 % I start reading at a snails ...more
KatLynne
Re-read again and still loving this fun, medieval romance and all those sexy Highlanders:)!
Unapologetic Roma...: Garwood, Julie // The Bride 32 28 Jan 06, 2017 01:51PM
Help!! Forgot a name of a book. 4 23 May 09, 2016 05:10AM
Let's Talk About ...: The Bride (Lairds' Fiancees #1) 33 112 Sep 09, 2014 04:46PM
Looking for a book 46 332 Aug 29, 2014 06:29AM
Western and Medie...: BOM: October 2012 3 25 Oct 10, 2012 08:44AM
  • Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword #3/MacAllister, #2)
  • A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1)
  • Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3)
  • The Hawk (Highland Guard, #2)
  • Never Love a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #3)
  • The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • Dreaming of You (The Gamblers, #2)
  • Texas Destiny (Leigh Brothers Texas Trilogy, #1)
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • Laird of the Mist (MacGregors, #1)
  • Charming the Prince (Once Upon A Time, #1)
With more than 35 million books in print and 26 NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers, Julie Garwood has earned a position among America's favorite fiction writers.

Born and raised in Kansas City, MO, Ms. Garwood attributes much of her success to growing up in a large family of Irish heritage. "The Irish are great storytellers who relish getting all of the details and nuances of every situation. Add in the fa
More about Julie Garwood...

Lairds' Fiancées (2 books)
  • The Wedding (Lairds' Fiancées, #2)

“My wife."
"By what name is she called, Kincaid?"
"Mine.”
81 likes
“She still hadn't caught on. Alec sighed. "Change your gown, Jamie, if that's your inclination. I prefer white. Now go and do my bidding. The hour grows late and we must be on our way."

He'd deliberately lengthened his speech, giving her time to react to his announcement. He thought he was being most considerate.

She thought he was demented.

Jamie was, at first, too stunned to do more than stare in horror at the warlord. When she finally gained her voice, she shouted, "It will be a frigid day in heaven before I marry you, milord, a frigid day indeed."

"You've just described the Highlands in winter, lass. And you will marry me."

"Never."

Exactly one hour later, Lady Jamison was wed to Alec Kincaid.”
66 likes