Start by marking “Disciple: Getting Your Identity from Jesus” as Want to Read:
Disciple: Getting Your Identity from Jesus
Preview

Disciple: Getting Your Identity from Jesus

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  21 reviews
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations." --Jesus

This is a book about pursuit. How God pursues people. How we pursue him. And how he uses us to pursue others.

God pursued us when Jesus came into this ruined world as an agent of redemption, asking us to follow him and to become his disciples. Yet, what does Jesus actually mean by disciple? And as his disciples, what
Published September 7th 2011 by Crossway Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Disciple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disciple

Joseph McBee
Let me begin by describing what I really appreciated about this book. I appreciated the author's passion for his subject and his passion for God. I also appreciated Clem's high view of Scripture and the fact that the book was loaded with passages of Scripture to support and expound on his conclusions. Further, I appreciated the fact that the book was gospel rich and that Clem referred often to God's grace, mercy, and love.

The book was also filled with true and genuine descriptions of God's chara
Jeff Bettger
Pastor Bill Clem has been teaching on this subject for years now. I have been very fortunate to sit under his teaching numerous times. At Mars Hill Church we have used this robust definition of being a disciple of Jesus for many years now. In a nut shell it consists of four key aspects:
#1. Image = Being an image bearer of God gives us Identity, purpose, and meaning. This is because of His character, and the work He has accomplished.
#2. Worship = as His Image bearers we are created as worshipers.
logankstewart
I selected Bill Clem's Disciple: Getting Your Identity from Jesus because I thought the book was about discipleship groups, mentors/mentees, etc. and practical applications for modern life. Instead, I found myself reading a book about what it means to be a Christian for the first 3/4 of the book. I almost get the feeling that Clem would prefer to use the word Disciple instead of Christian, though that is pure speculation. Nevertheless, Disciple proved to be a mostly interesting and thought provo ...more
Wesley Yaryan
A good beginners book on discipleship. There were some areas where I disagreed with him, but it needs more depth.
Tim Chaney
This was a fabulous book that seeks to encourage the Christian to find their identity in Christ as His disciple. Clem studies how a disciple made in the image of God should see themselves in God's story in areas such as image, worship, community, and mission. He also talks about many ways in which each of these four things can be distorted in a fallen world. I found each of these categories helpful as Clem gave a solid biblical framework through which to view the Christian life. Then the chapter ...more
Debi
The book starts out telling us about God’s story. We are not on this earth to do our own story. We are part of God’s story. We are image-bearers and our purpose is to image God to others. After the overview of God’s story, identity is explored as well as the distortions that we as humans give to identity. Discipleship is done in community, not alone. We are here to image God together not by ourselves.
Overall, a good read and a fresh look at discipleship and what it means to image God. Being part
Benjamin
This book became better as I moved further into it. Int he earlier chapters I found the notes for further study very useful, it was nice to have a list of references dealing with a certain topic like the Trinity. As I progressed through the book I found it applying more to me, helping me think through things like community, fellowship, and my interactions with the church. I really benefited from considering the intimacy level that really should occur within the body of Christ.
Eric Molicki
This work was not programmatic as much as paradigmatic. It provided a solid paradigm for understanding the identity of a disciple with excellent and current examples of the way idolatry distorts each of those aspects of discipleship. Its strengths are not found in profound insights as much as a thorough and compelling picture of the "destination" of discipleship.
Josh Simons
Just finished this book. I found it to be not only eye opening to many of the ways I desire to live as a bit player in God's story, but also how image, worship, community, and mission can be distorted. All of this while saturated in Jesus's accomplished work, mercy and grace in life of a disciple. 5 stars big time. Big time.
Gabe
What I appreciated most about the book was that it speaks to holistic discipleship, it is practical, even with thoughtful reflective questions at the end of each chapter, and it is transferrable information. It can be a great instrument to help others get a clearer vision of what it means to be a disciple and make disciples.
Laura Haske
This isn't a "how to" discipleship book. It's a thought-provoking look at what it means to follow Jesus and not just accept him. The focus on identity, community and imagining Christ pushed the analysis deeper than other books in the christian-living genre. I enjoyed it.
Anthony Renwick
I would definitely recommend. Re:Lit has hit it out of the ballpark once again! :) Bill Clem writes in such a simple and understandable yet profound style. It's quite unique I should say. And it's a great study as well (with study questions at the end of each chapter).
Natasha
I loved the practical and biblical applications about what it is to be a disciple in Christ and what it is to make more disciples. A no-nonsense, direct approach is always best and Pastor Bill Clem does that successfully in this book. A must-read for anyone who loves Jesus.
Glyn Williams
Well written and gives you something to think about in terms of your relationship with God. If you had to live your life the way Bill describes, you will most certainly experience a life change that will impact those around you.

A good, easy read.
Carl
Excellent, practical and biblical encouragement and advice in how to follow Jesus and disciple others to do likewise. At times encouraging, convicting and challenging this book is well worth the read and going into my reread cycle.
Brenden
Really great and practical examples of how to integrate discipleship in our daily lives. Not a difficult read but has some nice application points to chew on.
Tyler Hurst
Not a fan of the writing style, but the concepts are great.

Jared Totten
Helpful at times, but suffered from a lack of clear direction.
Aaron Carlberg
An excellent book...you should all read it (the title says it all).
Matt Moran
Good content, but not a well written or well organized book.
Michael Newton
Jan 12, 2012 Michael Newton rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pastors/Leaders
Recommended to Michael by: the Resurgence
This book was ok definitely not my favorite but its ok.
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Kay Card
Kay Card marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Clayton Campbell
Clayton Campbell is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2015
Lance Griffis
Lance Griffis is currently reading it
Apr 04, 2015
Alejandro Cuineme
Alejandro Cuineme marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
  • Community: Taking Your Small Group off Life Support (Re:Lit)
  • Redemption: Freed by Jesus from the Idols We Worship and the Wounds We Carry
  • Gospel Wakefulness
  • The Supremacy of Christ in a Postmodern World
  • Doctrine: What Christians Should Believe (RE: Lit)
  • Rid of My Disgrace: Hope and Healing for Victims of Sexual Assault
  • Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus
  • You Can Change: God's Transforming Power for Our Sinful Behavior and Negative Emotions
  • Gospel Coach: Shepherding Leaders to Glorify God
  • Dangerous Calling: Confronting the Unique Challenges of Pastoral Ministry
  • Creature of the Word: The Jesus-Centered Church
  • Practical Theology for Women: How Knowing God Makes a Difference in Our Daily Lives
  • What is the Mission of the Church?: Making sense of social justice, Shalom and the Great Commission
Microbe Presidential Donor Bliss Replica Medicine Cup