Start by marking “HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People (with Featured Article "Leadership That Gets Results," by Daniel Goleman)” as Want to Read:

HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People (HBR's 10 Must Reads)

Managing people is fraught with challenges--even if you're a seasoned manager. Here's how to handle them.
If you read nothing else on managing people, read these 10 articles. We've combed through hundreds of Harvard Business Review articles and selected the most important ones to help you maximize your employees' performance.
HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People will ins
Published February 7th 2011 by Harvard Business School Press (first published December 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People

Sanjay
Jul 09, 2015 Sanjay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2-3 articles are good. Not all. Could have been a better selection. Have read superior collections from HBR, like HBR 10 essential reads.
Charles Hall III
Good compilation of articles over managing people in a corporate setting. The writing and topics covered seem to be geared toward management neophytes like myself, and having very little knowledge on the subject, I found the ideas enlightening. I particularly appreciated the article on the hygiene-motivation theory, as well as those by Goleman, and Gabarro and Kotter. The rest were skim-worthy and a bit redundant but still helpful if the goal is to familiarize oneself with the culture of the bus ...more
Andrew
Jan 19, 2017 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a solid little management handbook with lots of good tips, lessons, and vignettes. The book lives up to its "Must Read" moniker, and I dare say should be read by all new managers. Some of these articles were written decades ago but are still relevant today, which speaks to the timeless nature of management principles. Even the most seasoned managers have room to improve, and so I thank HBR for curating the best essays for inclusion in this small, but really good book.
Samet Durgun
Dec 31, 2016 Samet Durgun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
juuut
Abdullah Al-Abri
One of the books that any manager should read
Tosan
Oct 15, 2016 Tosan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was a really good book with very relevant info and fresh ways of looking at the whole concept of managing people. For more on what I learnt and thought about the book, see https://tosansreviews.wordpress.com/2...
Carolina Esteves de Andrade
I just invested in myself with the HBR’S 10 Must Reads Collection by Harvard Business Review Press. This series is really good because each book has 10 of the best articles published by Harvard University on each topic. I think it is a must read for any ambitious manager, new or experienced leader.

It is easy to read, each book has approximately 300 pages. Each chapter is an article from great authors such as Peter F. Drucker, Theodore Levitt, Robert S. Kaplan, David P. Norton and others. One of
Brian Ridge
Dec 12, 2016 Brian Ridge rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: management
Good book. My favorite essays were What Great Managers Do and How Do You Motivate Employees.
Anshul Thakur
Oct 08, 2013 Anshul Thakur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They are definitely a good read if you are looking for guidance. While some articles (mainly collaborations or case studies of how the programs devised by the authors worked wonders) did beat around the bush, it is the veterans like Christensen Clayton, Kaplan and Norton, Kotter, Peter Drucker and many others who moved my heart through beautiful prose in argument. A real story is often more influential than those with ‘A construction company in America’ type of themes and yet some researchers ha ...more
Alexandra
Pentru un fan infocat Harry Potter, pana si cea mai proasta carte din serie va fi buna pentru ca...e Harry Potter. Cam asa sunt si eu cu Harvard Business School Press - nu exista carte proasta, poate am citit-o gresit :).
Totusi, in cazul volumului Managementul Oamenilor, nu am putut acorda (in mod sincer) un rating mai mare. Seria HBR ar trebui sa cuprinda articole de referinta pentru domeniul de business, nu capitole care se aseamana cu pasaje din carti motivationale. Cand am pus mana pe Manage
Tyler
Mar 01, 2016 Tyler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
It's amazing to know that many managers and supervisors completely miss the fundamentals of managing people. The first six or seven essays in this curated collection are highly valuable. Later essays are slightly less noteworthy, but still prove necessary, even if a brief skim. Also, there are one or two long, drawn out examples in each essay that serve as quasi-case studies. You might be able to tell from my language, they aren't always the most helpful and serve to ground the rationale for the ...more
Hayden
Jun 09, 2016 Hayden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I enjoy these collections of Must Read articles. I picked up a few gems that I'll work into my own leadership roles and a couple of good points about leading up and side ways as well. The articles are short enough that they get the key point across with just enough detail for you to understand. Each article has it's own interest and focus yet they all work together to give you a cohesive set of tools.
Yefei Wang
Nov 01, 2015 Yefei Wang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kat
Dec 31, 2016 Kat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two years ago, this was the first book on management I ever read, 3 months after being promoted to a director position. The article on leadership styles made me realize that my "pacesetting" style would be a problem, and headed off a lot of mistakes I would have made otherwise; more importantly, the book gave me a lot of positive examples to learn from. I'd highly recommend it for new managers.
Atul
Sep 11, 2013 Atul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Get it for the first article. Read the others, too. Great Reference Book

The first article in the book, Goleman's "Leadership That Gets Results", is informative, inspiring, practical and useful beyond my expectations for the entire book.
B S
Really? That's the 10 best that HBR has on managing people and leading teams? Felt very broad, vague, and not well supported by rigorous research. Not what I expected after reading HBR's 10 Must Reads: The Essentials.
Kristina Viderø
Oct 28, 2016 Kristina Viderø rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great and inspiring book. Makes you challenge the way you see leaderships and the way you work. It pinpoints a lot of interesting challenges in the employee-employer relationship that are worth thinking of. Some articles are obviously more relevant that others, but all of them are worth a read.
Vera Say
Feb 28, 2016 Vera Say rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read as part of career development program through work.

Goal: Strengthen valuable leadership skills and insights and enhance your impact as a manager as you take on broader roles and responsibilities throughout your career.
Jordan Munn
Nice grab-bag of ideas. Not comprehensive by any means, and the articles certainly don't all address the same theoretical person/audience, but even ideas that weren't particularly relevant to me still provided opportunities to think through situations.
Anil Panuganti
Mar 11, 2016 Anil Panuganti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3-4 of the articles are great. Others are ok. But overall good summary and ideas for managing people
Al Price
Jan 12, 2013 Al Price rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: real-stuff, business
Has totally influenced how I think about my manager style and choices. Highly recommend up and down the workplace ladder.
David Pickett
Mar 22, 2016 David Pickett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of great information about different management tactics and strategies. Not every article included was amazing, but they all had great takeaways and helpful examples of the theories in action.
Micah Rasmussen
I really enjoy the entire HBR library. This book was great but the last chapter on persuasion was the most powerful. Persuasion is definitely a misunderstood tool.
Eliscia
Jun 27, 2013 Eliscia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Good collection of articles on managing groups. I especially enjoyed the article on managing your boss, which gave me lots of fun ideas of how I could bother him just for the fun of it.
Jeremy
Oct 21, 2015 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book about managing people. The first essay in particular, "Leadership that gets results" is awesome and I recommend it to anyone managing anyone.
Babak
Sep 09, 2012 Babak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read for hobby managers. You will learn a lot and will get a completely new view on what it means to manage people. See my full review on my blog.
Yousef Shanti
Sep 06, 2016 Yousef Shanti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The very unoriginal review: "Definitely not a book to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force. "

Mustafa Yolcu
Mustafa Yolcu rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
John
John rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2013
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
  • The Wisdom of Failure: How to Learn the Tough Leadership Lessons Without Paying the Price
  • Being the Boss: The 3 Imperatives for Becoming a Great Leader
  • HBR Guide to Persuasive Presentations (HBR Guide Series)
  • Harvard Business Review on Managing Yourself
  • The Rules of Management: A Definitive Code for Managerial Success
  • Key Performance Indicators: The 75 Measures Every Manager Needs to Know
  • Reinventing You: Define Your Brand, Imagine Your Future
  • The Extreme Future: The Top Trends That Will Reshape the World for the Next 5, 10, and 20 Years
  • The Heart of Coaching: Using Transformational Coaching to Create a High-performance Coaching Culture
  • The Tao of Coaching: Boost Your Effectiveness at Work by Inspiring and Developing Those Around You
  • Manhood: Revised & Updated 2015 Edition
  • The First Mile: A Launch Manual for Getting Great Ideas into the Market
  • The Boston Consulting Group on Strategy: Classic Concepts and New Perspectives
  • Coaching Questions: A Coach's Guide to Powerful Asking Skills
  • Too Many Bosses, Too Few Leaders: The Three Essential Principles You Need to Become an Extraordinary Leader
  • Promote Yourself: The New Rules for Career Success
  • Co-Active Coaching: Changing Business, Transforming Lives
  • Get Agile!: Scrum for UX, Design & Development

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

HBR's 10 Must Reads (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads 2015: The Definitive Management Ideas of the Year from Harvard Business Review (with bonus McKinsey Award–Winning article "The Focused Leader") (HBR’s 10 Must Reads)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads 2016: The Definitive Management Ideas of the Year from Harvard Business Review (with bonus McKinsey Award–Winning article "Profits Without Prosperity”) (HBR’s 10 Must Reads)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Change
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Change Management (including featured article “Leading Change” )
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Collaboration (with featured article “Social Intelligence and the Biology of Leadership,” by Daniel Goleman and Richard Boyatzis)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Communication (with featured article “The Necessary Art of Persuasion,” by Jay A. Conger)
  • On Emotional Intelligence (HBR's 10 Must Reads)
  • HBR'S 10 Must Reads: The Essentials
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Innovation (with featured article “The Discipline of Innovation,” by Peter F. Drucker)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Leadership (with featured article “What Makes an Effective Executive,” by Peter F. Drucker)

“A team is a small number of people with complementary skills who are committed to a common purpose, set of performance goals, and approach for which they hold themselves mutually accountable.” 1 likes
“Idea in Brief Are you an ethical manager? Most would probably say, “Of course!” The truth is, most of us are not. Most of us believe that we’re ethical and unbiased. We assume that we objectively size up job candidates or venture deals and reach fair and rational conclusions that are in our organization’s best interests. But the truth is, we harbor many unconscious—and unethical—biases that derail our decisions and undermine our work as managers. Hidden biases prevent us from recognizing high-potential workers and retaining talented managers. They stop us from collaborating effectively with partners. They erode our teams’ performance. They can also lead to costly lawsuits.” 1 likes