Start by marking “HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People (with Featured Article "Leadership That Gets Results," by Daniel Goleman)” as Want to Read:

HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People (HBR's 10 Must Reads)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  236 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Managing people is fraught with challenges--even if you're a seasoned manager. Here's how to handle them.
If you read nothing else on managing people, read these 10 articles. We've combed through hundreds of Harvard Business Review articles and selected the most important ones to help you maximize your employees' performance.
HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People will ins
Published February 7th 2011 by Harvard Business School Press (first published December 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People

Anshul Thakur
They are definitely a good read if you are looking for guidance. While some articles (mainly collaborations or case studies of how the programs devised by the authors worked wonders) did beat around the bush, it is the veterans like Christensen Clayton, Kaplan and Norton, Kotter, Peter Drucker and many others who moved my heart through beautiful prose in argument. A real story is often more influential than those with ‘A construction company in America’ type of themes and yet some researchers ha ...more
Carolina Esteves de Andrade
I just invested in myself with the HBR’S 10 Must Reads Collection by Harvard Business Review Press. This series is really good because each book has 10 of the best articles published by Harvard University on each topic. I think it is a must read for any ambitious manager, new or experienced leader.

It is easy to read, each book has approximately 300 pages. Each chapter is an article from great authors such as Peter F. Drucker, Theodore Levitt, Robert S. Kaplan, David P. Norton and others. One of
Sanjay
2-3 articles are good. Not all. Could have been a better selection. Have read superior collections from HBR, like HBR 10 essential reads.
Atul
Get it for the first article. Read the others, too. Great Reference Book

The first article in the book, Goleman's "Leadership That Gets Results", is informative, inspiring, practical and useful beyond my expectations for the entire book.
Eliscia
Good collection of articles on managing groups. I especially enjoyed the article on managing your boss, which gave me lots of fun ideas of how I could bother him just for the fun of it.
Micah Rasmussen
I really enjoy the entire HBR library. This book was great but the last chapter on persuasion was the most powerful. Persuasion is definitely a misunderstood tool.
Babak
Must read for hobby managers. You will learn a lot and will get a completely new view on what it means to manage people. See my full review on my blog.
Al Martin
Has totally influenced how I think about my manager style and choices. Highly recommend up and down the workplace ladder.
Becca Apfelstadt
Wonderful and insightful so far!
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Mark J Eaton
Mark J Eaton marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Charmaine Roberts
Charmaine Roberts marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Anthony Hinton
Anthony Hinton marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Travis
Travis is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2015
Bruce
Bruce added it
Jul 19, 2015
Rajat Gupta
Rajat Gupta marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
4ay4rea3er
4ay4rea3er marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Anett
Anett marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Deepika Cattry
Deepika Cattry marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Mahesh
Mahesh is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2015
  • The Wisdom of Failure: How to Learn the Tough Leadership Lessons Without Paying the Price
  • Being the Boss: The 3 Imperatives for Becoming a Great Leader
  • HBR Guide to Persuasive Presentations (HBR Guide Series)
  • The Rules of Management: A Definitive Code for Managerial Success
  • The Tao of Coaching: Boost Your Effectiveness at Work by Inspiring and Developing Those Around You
  • Key Performance Indicators: The 75 Measures Every Manager Needs to Know
  • Manhood
  • Reinventing You: Define Your Brand, Imagine Your Future
  • The Extreme Future: The Top Trends That Will Reshape the World for the Next 5, 10, and 20 Years
  • Coaching Questions: A Coach's Guide to Powerful Asking Skills
  • The Boston Consulting Group on Strategy: Classic Concepts and New Perspectives
  • Co-Active Coaching: Changing Business, Transforming Lives
  • HBR Guide to Better Business Writing (HBR Guide Series)
  • Promote Yourself: The New Rules for Career Success
  • Reinventing Organizations: A Guide to Creating Organizations Inspired by the Next Stage of Human Consciousness
  • Leadership 2.0
  • Classic Drucker: Essential Wisdom of Peter Drucker from the Pages of Harvard Business Review
  • What You're Really Meant to Do

HBR's 10 Must Reads (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads 2015: The Definitive Management Ideas of the Year from Harvard Business Review (with bonus article "The Focused Leader," the McKinsey Award–winner by Daniel Goleman)(HBR’s 10 Must Reads)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads 2016: The Definitive Management Ideas of the Year from Harvard Business Review (with bonus McKinsey Award–Winning article "Profits Without Prosperity”) (HBR’s 10 Must Reads)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Change
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Change Management (including featured article “Leading Change” )
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Collaboration (with featured article “Social Intelligence and the Biology of Leadership,” by Daniel Goleman and Richard Boyatzis)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Communication (with featured article “The Necessary Art of Persuasion,” by Jay A. Conger)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Emotional Intelligence (with featured article "What Makes a Leader?" by Daniel Goleman)(HBR's 10 Must Reads)
  • HBR'S 10 Must Reads: The Essentials
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Innovation (with featured article “The Discipline of Innovation,” by Peter F. Drucker)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Leadership (with featured article “What Makes an Effective Executive,” by Peter F. Drucker)
HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing Yourself (with bonus article "How Will You Measure Your Life?") HBR's 10 Must Reads on Leadership (with featured article “What Makes an Effective Executive,” by Peter F. Drucker) HBR's 10 Must Reads on Strategy (including featured article “What Is Strategy?” by Michael E. Porter) HBR'S 10 Must Reads: The Essentials HBR's 10 Must Reads on Change Management (including featured article “Leading Change” )

“A team is a small number of people with complementary skills who are committed to a common purpose, set of performance goals, and approach for which they hold themselves mutually accountable.” 0 likes
“Idea in Brief Are you an ethical manager? Most would probably say, “Of course!” The truth is, most of us are not. Most of us believe that we’re ethical and unbiased. We assume that we objectively size up job candidates or venture deals and reach fair and rational conclusions that are in our organization’s best interests. But the truth is, we harbor many unconscious—and unethical—biases that derail our decisions and undermine our work as managers. Hidden biases prevent us from recognizing high-potential workers and retaining talented managers. They stop us from collaborating effectively with partners. They erode our teams’ performance. They can also lead to costly lawsuits.” 0 likes