Start by marking “HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People (with Featured Article "Leadership That Gets Results," by Daniel Goleman)” as Want to Read:

HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People (HBR's 10 Must Reads)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Managing people is fraught with challenges--even if you're a seasoned manager. Here's how to handle them.
If you read nothing else on managing people, read these 10 articles. We've combed through hundreds of Harvard Business Review articles and selected the most important ones to help you maximize your employees' performance.
HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People will ins
Published February 7th 2011 by Harvard Business School Press (first published December 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People

Anshul Thakur
They are definitely a good read if you are looking for guidance. While some articles (mainly collaborations or case studies of how the programs devised by the authors worked wonders) did beat around the bush, it is the veterans like Christensen Clayton, Kaplan and Norton, Kotter, Peter Drucker and many others who moved my heart through beautiful prose in argument. A real story is often more influential than those with ‘A construction company in America’ type of themes and yet some researchers ha ...more
Carolina Esteves de Andrade
I just invested in myself with the HBR’S 10 Must Reads Collection by Harvard Business Review Press. This series is really good because each book has 10 of the best articles published by Harvard University on each topic. I think it is a must read for any ambitious manager, new or experienced leader.

It is easy to read, each book has approximately 300 pages. Each chapter is an article from great authors such as Peter F. Drucker, Theodore Levitt, Robert S. Kaplan, David P. Norton and others. One of
Sanjay
2-3 articles are good. Not all. Could have been a better selection. Have read superior collections from HBR, like HBR 10 essential reads.
Atul
Get it for the first article. Read the others, too. Great Reference Book

The first article in the book, Goleman's "Leadership That Gets Results", is informative, inspiring, practical and useful beyond my expectations for the entire book.
Eliscia
Good collection of articles on managing groups. I especially enjoyed the article on managing your boss, which gave me lots of fun ideas of how I could bother him just for the fun of it.
Micah Rasmussen
I really enjoy the entire HBR library. This book was great but the last chapter on persuasion was the most powerful. Persuasion is definitely a misunderstood tool.
Babak
Must read for hobby managers. You will learn a lot and will get a completely new view on what it means to manage people. See my full review on my blog.
Al Martin
Has totally influenced how I think about my manager style and choices. Highly recommend up and down the workplace ladder.
Becca Apfelstadt
Wonderful and insightful so far!
Jennifer Kutz
Jennifer Kutz marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Badr Alsini
Badr Alsini marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Greg Gregatron
Greg Gregatron marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Ziad Bourbei
Ziad Bourbei marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Boulitrop Aude
Boulitrop Aude marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Marty
Marty is currently reading it
Aug 28, 2015
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Haley
Haley marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Jessica Nguyen
Jessica Nguyen is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2015
Will Nichols
Will Nichols marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Devon
Devon marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Ajith Bhat
Ajith Bhat marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Irving
Irving marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Nighat Afsheen
Nighat Afsheen marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Karen Puspasari
Karen Puspasari marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
  • The Wisdom of Failure: How to Learn the Tough Leadership Lessons Without Paying the Price
  • HBR Guide to Persuasive Presentations (HBR Guide Series)
  • Being the Boss: The 3 Imperatives for Becoming a Great Leader
  • The Rules of Management: A Definitive Code for Managerial Success
  • The Boston Consulting Group on Strategy: Classic Concepts and New Perspectives
  • Key Performance Indicators: The 75 Measures Every Manager Needs to Know
  • The Extreme Future: The Top Trends That Will Reshape the World for the Next 5, 10, and 20 Years
  • Reinventing You: Define Your Brand, Imagine Your Future
  • Manhood
  • The Tao of Coaching: Boost Your Effectiveness at Work by Inspiring and Developing Those Around You
  • Coaching Questions: A Coach's Guide to Powerful Asking Skills
  • HBR Guide to Better Business Writing (HBR Guide Series)
  • Promote Yourself: The New Rules for Career Success
  • Leadership 2.0
  • Lead to Succeed and You Won't Manage to Fail
  • What You're Really Meant to Do
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Angels Among Us: 101 Inspirational Stories of Miracles, Faith, and Answered Prayers
  • Co-Active Coaching: Changing Business, Transforming Lives

HBR's 10 Must Reads (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads 2015: The Definitive Management Ideas of the Year from Harvard Business Review (with bonus article "The Focused Leader," the McKinsey Award–winner by Daniel Goleman)(HBR’s 10 Must Reads)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads 2016: The Definitive Management Ideas of the Year from Harvard Business Review (with bonus McKinsey Award–Winning article "Profits Without Prosperity”) (HBR’s 10 Must Reads)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Change
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Change Management (including featured article “Leading Change” )
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Collaboration (with featured article “Social Intelligence and the Biology of Leadership,” by Daniel Goleman and Richard Boyatzis)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Communication (with featured article “The Necessary Art of Persuasion,” by Jay A. Conger)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Emotional Intelligence (with featured article "What Makes a Leader?" by Daniel Goleman)(HBR's 10 Must Reads)
  • HBR'S 10 Must Reads: The Essentials
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Innovation (with featured article “The Discipline of Innovation,” by Peter F. Drucker)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Leadership (with featured article “What Makes an Effective Executive,” by Peter F. Drucker)
HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing Yourself (with bonus article "How Will You Measure Your Life?") HBR's 10 Must Reads on Leadership (with featured article “What Makes an Effective Executive,” by Peter F. Drucker) HBR's 10 Must Reads on Strategy (including featured article “What Is Strategy?” by Michael E. Porter) HBR'S 10 Must Reads: The Essentials HBR's 10 Must Reads on Change Management (including featured article “Leading Change” )

“A team is a small number of people with complementary skills who are committed to a common purpose, set of performance goals, and approach for which they hold themselves mutually accountable.” 0 likes
“Idea in Brief Are you an ethical manager? Most would probably say, “Of course!” The truth is, most of us are not. Most of us believe that we’re ethical and unbiased. We assume that we objectively size up job candidates or venture deals and reach fair and rational conclusions that are in our organization’s best interests. But the truth is, we harbor many unconscious—and unethical—biases that derail our decisions and undermine our work as managers. Hidden biases prevent us from recognizing high-potential workers and retaining talented managers. They stop us from collaborating effectively with partners. They erode our teams’ performance. They can also lead to costly lawsuits.” 0 likes