Nailed

Nailed (A Ron Ketchum Mystery #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  263 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Ron Ketchum saw his share of the dark side of life as a cop in Los Angeles. Then he left L.A. to become the chief of police in the Sierra Nevada resort town of Goldstrike. One sunny morning in the mountains, though, he comes upon a crime unlike anything he’s ever seen before.

He finds the body of an African American man nailed to a tree.

The victim is a highly respected mini...more
Kindle Edition
Published 2010 by Stray Dog Press, Inc.

Benjamin Thomas
This one really surprised me...and in a good way. The first in a projected series, it's a nice police procedural/mystery story that introduced me to some nicely fleshed out characters. For me, the characters make all the difference. I've read so many mystery/thriller novels that I need something more than just a new setting or new time period, etc. This novel, happily, combines great characters with a nicely developed plot. And the mystery itself ain't bad either.

Ron Ketchum, formerly an LA cop,...more
Black Butterfly
Oct 17, 2013 Black Butterfly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: BOOKBUB
HOLY CRAP! WHAT A G.R.E.A.T. BOOK! TOLD SO WELL IT HAD ME ON THE FIRST PAGE, WHAT A FREAKIN' GOOD STORY. I SET UP WAAY PAST MY BED TIME, I HAD TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED, ALSO PROUD I FIGURED OUT WHO THE KILLER WAS WHEN FIRST INTRODUCED IN THE STORY. I THOUGHT, WOW I KNOW WHO DID IT, OH F-BOMBS! YIKES! THIS STORYLINE IS NOT JUST A PLAIN OLD WHO-DONE-IT, BECAUSE IT HAS A TRUE RING TO IT. IT'S WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE REAL WORLD RIGHT-DAMN-NOW BIG TIME. THEN INTERWOVEN INTO THE REAL STORY IS A MURDER AN...more
Joni
A well written, fast moving thriller. Joseph Flynn did a great job of developing his characters and the story. There were plenty of red herrings and sub-plots to hold your interest, in fact it is a book that is hard to put down after you start reading.
Kimberly Hicks
Oct 17, 2013 Kimberly Hicks rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kimberly by: BookBub
Shelves: read-on-kindle
You wanna know how good this book was? I lost my precious 'work sleep' so that I could stay up and finish the ending. I never lose my good sleep, when I have to get up so early in the morning for work, but that's just how damn good this book actually is!

It's been a very long time coming that I've read a story that was so coming-of-age and poignant! What an amazing story this was! Joseph Flynn did an outstanding job in bringing to light so many social issues we deal with today, as well as in our...more
gert
i'm probably a bad reviewer - if there isn't something that just JUMPS out as crap, i'm usually pretty happy. i.e. i'm not too hung up on literary devices, unless its just too brutal to ignore.

are there elements in this book that could have been fleshed out better? fo'shizzle. but reality check: good is great when the storyline rocks. and this one does. loved the characters - from the slightly flawed protagonist (recovering bigots are generally flawed) to the mayor who is sometimes away from hi...more
Lee Holz
In some respects, Nailed is a classic who-done-it. The plot is complex, the suspects plentiful, and, although the author withholds some information as the book nears the end, there are enough clues that this reader didn’t feel cheated. The unusual wrinkle was the sub-plot of the murderous mountain lion. All in all, Nailed was a very enjoyable mystery.
Joel Ungar
Very complete story and pretty good characters. I liked how Flynn fleshed things out. The town of Goldstrike becomes real with a back story. So do many of the characters.

The characters themselves are fairly standard, but it works.

Once again, I didn't guess the killer.
Lisa Woelk
Free kindle book. Good story plot. Many twists and turns for a "who done it" mystery!
Clint
I really liked this book. I enjoy his writing style and characters.
Barbara
A very exciting story. I really enjoyed the dual story lines of the search for the killer of Isaac Cardwell, and the search for a rogue mountain lion that is stalking the ski resort town of Goldstrike CA. Well plotted, very believable characters. I stayed up way later than I should have trying to finish this book!

This story also takes an unflinching look at racism. Ron Ketchum is a "recovering" racist and his deputy chief of police is a black, former police officer from LA. The two are close fr...more
Michael Parker
I enjoyed Joseph Flynn's thriller but hesitated to give it a five star rating, simply because there were a couple of 'sloppy' get outs in the story. By this I mean when one of the characters is in trouble and the writer uses an 'old hat' formula for extricating the characater from the predicament he or she is in. Apart from that, I found the book extremely well written and a pleasure to read. I wasn't gripped in the way that some thrillers can grab you, but felt compelled to read towards the end...more
Linda Look
Great story about relationships. Chief Ron Ketchum is a recovering bigot who had a terrible childhood. A murder (nailed to a cross) of a black minister in a small town brings out the best and worst of the citizens. Entangled in all this is a rogue mountain lion attacking humans and animals. Is this the result of the curse placed upon the town by the mother of the murdered minister? Very fast reading and interesting, well written book. I rate it a 4.9.
Ivy
There are two main stories…hunt for a human killer and hunt for a killing mountain lion. It is not a book that I would have read in one day but had enough happening to keep my interest. I found that in parts the story seemed to lean more in the hunt for the mountain lion then in the human killer. This is the first time I have read a book by this author and I found that I like his writing style enough to look into reading more of his book.
Rodney
Oct 31, 2013 Rodney rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rodney by: 100
I was an enjoyable read. The main characters were well developed and interesting. There was tension and suspense with a surprise ending.
Jon
I had never read anything by Joseph Flynn. After this book I am off to find more of his books. Really good mystery writer.
Dolores Madden
loved,loved,loved the book ,the character's,the plotline ,everything ,just sorry to finish it ,looking forward to more .
Russell
Very good read! Enjoyed from amazon lending library with Prime. I'm sure I will read more of his work.
Patti Tindal
Loved this book! Can't wait to read its sequel Decieved! Ron Ketchum rocks as PC in Goldstrike CA
John Schneider
I wish that I could justify giving this book a higher score, but I find that I cannot. Joseph Flynn does an above average job in this novel in pacing, characters, and style. Outside of a poor word choice here and there and a more convenient ending than I prefer, the book entertained me throughout. My major complaint is the weakness of the "final act." Without going into details, I found the ending altogether too convenient and neat. If you are looking for a fun read to pass a few hours, this boo...more
Merle
Ron Ketchum is a former LAPD cop who has left LA for the affluent mountain town of Goldstrike. He finds a body nailed to a tree one day while riding with his deputy. There is a subtext throughout this book of big city folk coming to a small town and making it their own, for good and bad.

The case affords all sorts of opportunities for ill feelings, racial hatred and personal vendettas among townspeople, so Ron is left with a simmering pot that might boil over - and does in one gruesome instance....more
Bettie
4.9 stars. Really enjoy his books...this one especially
Patricia Eichenlaub
Improbable but imaginative!
Jim A
A murder mystery and the hunt for a rogue mountain lion are the two themes for this novel.

The murder centers on a minister, having been killed is then nailed to a dead tree crucifixion style. As the victim is black, the door is opened for racial overtones. This gives the author, Flynn, a platform for his social commentary on race relations in the country. The chief of police of the community of Goldstrike is a self proclaimed recovering bigot, as an example.

The hunt for the mountain lion is ve...more
Marla Madison
Except for a few backstory moments that went on way too long, I really enjoyed this book. It paints an emotionally filled portrait of racism, alive even in small town America. The characters are interesting, and the plot moves along well.
The author does an excellent job of weaving two plot lines, the murder and the threat to the city's citizens, a rogue mountain lion.
A thoroughly enjoyable suspense read!
Bronwyn
I found this well written and fast moving. Two points of interest going on at the same time. A murder and a killer mountain lion.
I think it realistically portrayed how quickly we are ready to fear anyone that is different from us. It also makes you think about what lengths people will go for revenge and money. And everyone has a past.
Kathy-richard Wilson
Very satisfying read. Can't say it was a page-turner, which is what I prefer if I'm trying to read before sleeping. Overall, enjoyable.
Pat
Not bad for a Kindle freebie. The story line was interesting enough. I thought the characters were a bit too 'straight from central casting' for my tastes. The racial tensions seemed a bit forced and overdone ( really, would otherwise intelligent people get all cranked up over an old woman's curse as the cause of the mountain lion scare?). Some of the narrow escapes ( particularly the latter 2 involving the mountain lion) seemed far-fetched and contrived. But really, in the end I was looking for...more
Diane
Good who done it with lots of twists and turns with a surprise ending.
Glen
I won this book in a Goodreads firstreads drawing.

A mystery I found somewhat navel gazing, has a cookie cutter baby boomer type hero, complete with requisite guilt complex. He's the usual disgraced hero, given a second chance by the movie star mayor of a small twon in the Sierra Nevadas. The whole town is tossed into the media circus when the son of a local televangelist is murdered in a spectacular fashoin, and a mountain lion stalks the town.
  • Creatures of Appetite
  • Black Flagged
  • Apocalypse Island
  • Dire Means
  • A Reason to Live (Marty Singer #1)
  • The Devil's Deep
  • Noble Beginnings
  • A Man Overboard
  • The Legend of Devil's Creek
  • Illegal
  • An Innocent Client
  • Swan Loch
  • Revenant (Paskagankee, #2)
  • The Hostage (Sarah Roberts, #4)
  • The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set
  • The Big Bend (Terry Rankin, #1)
  • Top Ten
  • A Dead Red Heart (A Dead Red #2)
Joseph Flynn has been published both traditionally — Signet Books, Bantam Books and Variance Publishing — and through his own imprint, Stray Dog Press, Inc. Both major media reviews and reader reviews have praised his work. Booklist said, “Flynn is an excellent storyteller.” The Chicago Tribune said, “Flynn [is] a master of high-octane plotting.” The most repeated reader comment is: Write faster,...more
More about Joseph Flynn...
The President's Henchman (Jim McGill, #1) Round Robin The Hangman's Companion (Jim McGill #2) The Next President The Last Ballot Cast (Jim McGill, #4 Part 1)