Start by marking “The Medusa Plot (39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Medusa Plot (39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #1)

The Medusa Plot (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers #1)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  23,783 Ratings  ·  551 Reviews
Are you ready to save the world? The bestselling series returns with an adventure spanning 6 explosive books, 2 secret-filled card packs, and a website that places readers right in the action.

Thirteen-year-old Dan Cahill and his older sister, Amy, thought they belonged to the world's most powerful family. They thought the hunt for 39 Clues leading to the source of that pow
Hardcover, Special Library Edition, 222 pages
Published August 30th 2011 by Scholastic Press (first published July 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Medusa Plot, please sign up.

Jeff Hiestand
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jeff Hiestand
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Lost Hero by Rick RiordanThe Son of Neptune by Rick RiordanHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan
best book for 10-15 yrs written after 2005
43rd out of 436 books — 614 voters
The Maze of Bones by Rick RiordanInto the Gauntlet by Margaret Peterson HaddixThe Sword Thief by Peter LerangisOne False Note by Gordon KormanThe Dead of Night by Peter Lerangis
The 39 Clues
12th out of 39 books — 44 voters

More lists with this book...

Bookworm007
Sep 25, 2011 Bookworm007 rated it it was amazing
OHMYGODOHMYGOD OHMYGOD!!

edit on Sept 24, 2011

Oh lordy, after finishing the first series, I STILL don't get why it's soooo good! Especially with it being a kiddie series and...well, I'm not a kiddie...

This book was a GREAT and FANTASTIC start-off for "Cahills vs Vespers".

Things I love about it:
1) The Cahills are getting along in a "family" manner without the possibility of unexpectedly stabbing each other in the back.
2) The Vespers are delightfully sinister! I love them! They add more suspense a
Maythin Kyi
May 15, 2015 Maythin Kyi rated it really liked it
It said about 2 siblings who are the members of the most powerful family in the world, the Cahill family.
When 7 of their relatives are kidnapped they got to do whatever Vesper One say to get them back. One mistake, one will die.
Denisa
Apr 25, 2011 Denisa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Just read the synopsis. Dan is 13? Two years passes eh? Doesn't that mean Amy is 17? Whoas, hard to imagine man. can't wait to read... though I have to read Vespers Rising first ^.^
Cyndy
Sep 20, 2011 Cyndy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, humor
I CANNOT WAIT THIS LONG!!!!!!
Mith
Sep 08, 2011 Mith rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, goodish
2.5 stars. The extra half star to round it up to 3 is for the sheer fun the previous books were.

Not quite the page turner I was expecting. Oh, it was action-packed alright, but it somehow felt a bit lackluster compared to the previous 39 clues books. Where's Riordan when you need him?!

Amy and Dan are, once again, racing against time - this time trying to save the lives of seven of their lot who have been kidnapped by the mysterious Vesper One. He/she needs Amy and Dan to steal certain priceless
Dempse Kb
Sep 06, 2011 Dempse Kb rated it it was amazing
Such a good book! Loved the previous series, this one is so far even more exciting. My son was worried about Gordon Korman being the author because his school MADE him read "Schooled" this summer, and he felt that was extremely preachy. He hates preachy. No time for preaching in this book... it moves really fast! I read it on a plane so it had my undivided attention (except for the soda my daughter spilled, and then my son... and then ME... Yes, we have the klutzy gene.).

GK did a great job desc
Anastasia Antonova
Oct 24, 2015 Anastasia Antonova rated it it was amazing
Это просто одинадцать из десяти. Черт подери, они привзошли мои ожидания. События этой книги разворачиваются спустя два года, после событий 11-й предыдущего цикла. Герои очень изменились, за них теперь жутко переживаешь, больше поражаешься и задерживаешь дыхание чуть ли не в каждой главе. Помимо Эми и Дэна, в книге фигурируют и другие Кэхилы. Они, правда, мало изменились. Впрочем, это не мешает им хранить прежнее обаяние, особенно младшому поколению.
Если честно, я не ожидала что будет так круто
Dorian Becerra
This book is about two children Amy and Dan who must save their family from kidnapping but what will be the ransom. I like this book because it has a lot of action and drama just what I like and the story is so fascinating. I would recommend this book to my brother he likes these types of books and will enjoy it.
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Medusa Plot (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers #1), Gordon Korman
مجموعه سی و نه سرنخ - کاهیل ها علیه وسپرها - کتاب نخست از مجموعه کارآگاهی نشر ویدا
عنوان: طرح مدوسا - 39 سرنخ - کاهیل ها علیه وسپرها - کتاب 1؛ نوشته کوردون کورمن؛ مترجم: لیلا یادگار؛ تهران، ویدا، 1393، در 233 ص، شابک: 9786002910899؛
Achala
Jun 27, 2015 Achala rated it liked it
Dan Brown meets Spy Kids. For something aimed at teens or tweens, it was interesting. A quick, breezy read. I'll probably catch up with the rest of the series in between bigger, weightier books.
Jo
Jun 21, 2011 Jo marked it as to-read
August?!?!?!?! I HAVE TONWAIT TILL AUGUST?!?!?!?
Aug 13, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Publication date: 8/30/2011
Pages: 224
Sales rank: 478
Age range: 9 – 12 Years
Lexile: 730L (what’s this?)
Series: 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers Series, #1

By: Gordon Korman

Summary: The clue hunt is over, two years have passed and Dan and Amy are back in school. Their au pair, Nellie is away at school in France (for culinary lessons, of course), Uncle Fiske
Mary Jo Garcia-Brown
I just finished listening to this first book in the second 39 Clues series on the way back from a trip to Pennsylvania this weekend. I find audiobooks are a wonderful way to pass the time in the car, and books that are action-packed like the 39 Clues are especially riveting. The story kept me awake as I drove six hours in the dark.

That said, I'm losing some of my enthusiasm for this storyline. Now Dan and Amy Cahill are having to band together with some of the very relatives who were trying to
Cathy
Jan 19, 2012 Cathy rated it really liked it
You never quite know with this series what you're going to get book to book because the authors change, but I thought this was one of the better installments. I liked the slightly more mature tone, it was appropriate after everything these kids have been through to acknowledge that they're pretty traumatized and to deal with that. But it's still simple enough for younger readers as well. it's still a bit silly, the idea that these kids could rob a major museum with a day of preparation is just ...more
Reading Vacation
Aug 28, 2011 Reading Vacation rated it really liked it
Get ready for another action packed installment of the famous 39 Clues series. You thought our heroes Amy and Dan were done after discovering the secret of the 39 clues? Well guess again. This new series is very exciting, with loads of suspense and mystery thrown in. Cahills are being kidnapped by an evil organization called the Vespers. Amy and Dan have to follow the Vespers demands or the unthinkable will happen.

Amy, now seventeen, is stronger and smarter than ever. Amy is amazing as she quick
Barb Middleton
Feb 13, 2012 Barb Middleton rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Dan and Amy have to rescue seven Cahills who have been kidnapped by the Vespers. The two travel to Italy where they have to steal a Caravaggio painting called, Medusa, from the Uffizi Museum. The clues lead them next to the Colosseum in Rome.

Book one is vague on plot. It isn’t clear why the Vespers kidnapped that many people. I found this novel less funny, less believable, and more violent. Amy has a boyfriend and Dan is more serious. Dan also betrays his good friend which I thought was out of c
Ginny
Sep 20, 2011 Ginny rated it liked it
Markus
Jun 19, 2015 Markus rated it liked it
Shelves: jumanji
The Medusa Plot was a weird read. I liked the story, and I really enjoyed most of the characters, but I didn't understand what was going on. It seemed like this book had a very cool concept behind it, but nothing was explained throughout the whole book. I loved the concept of different families with different powers, but I just didn't know who was what. Maybe I skipped that page by accident? I liked that it had kids with special abilities in it, the story was not as serious thanks to that. I did ...more
Garrett M
May 16, 2012 Garrett M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Amy and Dan are off on another adventure. Many of their crazy relatives, who have now become friends, have been kidnapped by the mysterious group the Vespers. The leader of the group have sent Amy and Dan on a dangerous mission, threatening to hurt or kill the hostages. Join Amy and Dan as they do crazy things in this book following the 39 clues.

I gave this book a 4 star rating because even though it had and excellent idea for a plot, I did not like how much the characters have chang
John Prosper
Oct 20, 2011 John Prosper rated it it was amazing
This book is AMAZING!!! It takes place after the first series. Amy and Dan thought they won the clue hunt and that their lives would be normal. But they were wrong. Now 7 Cahills have been kidnapped worldwide. Amy and Dan have received a package that contains a cell phone with one text message. "We have hostages. Do what we want or they die". This book keeps you reading until the end. I recommend this book to people who love mystery/detective fiction stories.
Cassandra Lê
Oct 09, 2011 Cassandra Lê rated it liked it
It was a good book.... Will write my full review later. Just bought it from the book store. No, not in Vietnam, they don't sell that, in Australia, exactly.
I must said that I have always like the 39 clues series. They were hilarious, full with action and adventures, a little bit romance, and classified secrets.
But the medusa plot was a little disappointed. I don't know why....
Taylor Groom
Nov 10, 2013 Taylor Groom rated it liked it
My book"The 39 Clues The Minnesota Plot'' is is about a 13-year-old boy named Daniel is older sister, Amy, they thought they belong to the most powerful Family in the world. In that other series 39 clues they were looking the 39 clues to reveal a secret that they're dead grandmother get them and in this series of 39 clues Cahills vs Vespers all of the Cahill's I've been kidnapped by the Vespers.
Angie
Apr 15, 2012 Angie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
The kids & I listen to this series in the car, and we thoroughly enjoyed the previous books. We were so excited to find this on and 2 others on CD at the library this week! As I've said before, it's DaVinci Code for kids. Even 'Mom' enjoys listening!! :)
Savita
Sep 11, 2011 Savita rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-series
Have I mentioned how much I love this series? And, admittedly, this was defintely one of the best books--Korman is one of my favorite authors as it is.
Katie
Aug 30, 2011 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-39-clues
IT WAS SO EPIC! I'M A REALLY BAD REVIEWER WHEN IT COMES TO SERIES BOOKS THAT I LOVE, BUT THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING! TOTALLY WORTH WAITING FOR!!!
Isabel
Jul 26, 2012 Isabel rated it it was amazing
This book is great! I recommend reading all of the 39 Clues books!
Karsyn
Typical Amy & Dan. Enjoyable.
Adrienne B
Nov 24, 2016 Adrienne B rated it really liked it
My son really enjoys this series so far. We read it aloud to him at bedtime. I do find the writing style is sometimes hard to read and I find myself adding words sometimes to make the sentence structure fit etc. But overall a great series so far.
Katlyn
Oct 16, 2016 Katlyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun, intense, middle-grade
Pedro Silva
Aug 01, 2016 Pedro Silva rated it really liked it
I'm very unsure about the premise for this series. So basically some Cahills were kidnapped by the Vespers and Amy and Dan are now forced to do tasks for them, retrieving treasures around the world. I thought that this war between the families would be more like a competition to get those treasures, or trying to find some lost treasure that's connected to the mysterious Cahill ring Amy has. If they're doing tasks for the Vespers (they're being blackmailed), this can hardly be called "Cahills vs. ...more
Cahills vs Vesper...: Amy with Ian? Evan? Jake? 12 33 May 17, 2015 12:57PM
Something interesting I noticed 8 50 Mar 17, 2015 08:04PM
Help 3 25 Oct 23, 2014 01:48PM
This is better than Percy Jackson 2 17 57 Oct 21, 2014 07:12AM
  • A King's Ransom (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #2)
  • The Dead of Night (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #3)
  • Trust No One (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #5)
  • Shatterproof (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #4)
  • Vespers Rising (The 39 Clues, #11)
  • Fireworks (The 39 Clues: Rapid Fire, #7)
  • The Black Circle (The 39 Clues, #5)
  • The Black Book of Buried Secrets
  • Into the Gauntlet (The 39 Clues, #10)
  • Day of Doom (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #6)
  • The 39 Clues: Agent Handbook
Korman wrote his first book, "This Can't be Happening at Macdonald Hall", when he was 12 years old, for a coach who suddenly found himself teaching 7th grade English. He later took that episode and created a book out of it, as well, in "The Sixth Grade Nickname Game", wherein Mr. Huge was based on that 7th grade teacher.

Korman moved to New York City, where he studied film and film writing. While i
More about Gordon Korman...

The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers (6 books)
  • A King's Ransom (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #2)
  • The Dead of Night (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #3)
  • Shatterproof (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #4)
  • Trust No One (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #5)
  • Day of Doom (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #6)

“Don't think of it as losing a boyfriend. Think of it as gaining a stalker."
-Dan Cahill”