The Medusa Plot (39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #1)

The Medusa Plot (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers #1)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  15,871 ratings  ·  451 reviews
Are you ready to save the world? The bestselling series returns with an adventure spanning 6 explosive books, 2 secret-filled card packs, and a website that places readers right in the action.

Thirteen-year-old Dan Cahill and his older sister, Amy, thought they belonged to the world's most powerful family. They thought the hunt for 39 Clues leading to the source of that pow...more
Hardcover, Special Library Edition, 224 pages
Published August 30th 2011 by Scholastic Press (first published July 5th 2011)

Fledgling by Mark A. CooperRevenge by Mark A. CooperAbsolutely Nothing by Mark A. CooperThe Recruit by Robert MuchamoreSilverFin by Charlie Higson
Books Like Alex Rider
159th out of 459 books — 269 voters
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Lost Hero by Rick RiordanHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Son of Neptune by Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan
best book for 10-15 yrs written after 2005
34th out of 356 books — 467 voters

More lists with this book...

Bookworm007
OHMYGODOHMYGOD OHMYGOD!!

edit on Sept 24, 2011

Oh lordy, after finishing the first series, I STILL don't get why it's soooo good! Especially with it being a kiddie series and...well, I'm not a kiddie...

This book was a GREAT and FANTASTIC start-off for "Cahills vs Vespers".

Things I love about it:
1) The Cahills are getting along in a "family" manner without the possibility of unexpectedly stabbing each other in the back.
2) The Vespers are delightfully sinister! I love them! They add more suspense an...more
Cyndy
I CANNOT WAIT THIS LONG!!!!!!
Mith
2.5 stars. The extra half star to round it up to 3 is for the sheer fun the previous books were.

Not quite the page turner I was expecting. Oh, it was action-packed alright, but it somehow felt a bit lackluster compared to the previous 39 clues books. Where's Riordan when you need him?!

Amy and Dan are, once again, racing against time - this time trying to save the lives of seven of their lot who have been kidnapped by the mysterious Vesper One. He/she needs Amy and Dan to steal certain priceless...more
Dempse Kb
Such a good book! Loved the previous series, this one is so far even more exciting. My son was worried about Gordon Korman being the author because his school MADE him read "Schooled" this summer, and he felt that was extremely preachy. He hates preachy. No time for preaching in this book... it moves really fast! I read it on a plane so it had my undivided attention (except for the soda my daughter spilled, and then my son... and then ME... Yes, we have the klutzy gene.).

GK did a great job desc...more
Denisa
Apr 25, 2011 Denisa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Just read the synopsis. Dan is 13? Two years passes eh? Doesn't that mean Amy is 17? Whoas, hard to imagine man. can't wait to read... though I have to read Vespers Rising first ^.^
Jo
Jun 21, 2011 Jo marked it as to-read
August?!?!?!?! I HAVE TONWAIT TILL AUGUST?!?!?!?
Mary Jo Garcia
I just finished listening to this first book in the second 39 Clues series on the way back from a trip to Pennsylvania this weekend. I find audiobooks are a wonderful way to pass the time in the car, and books that are action-packed like the 39 Clues are especially riveting. The story kept me awake as I drove six hours in the dark.

That said, I'm losing some of my enthusiasm for this storyline. Now Dan and Amy Cahill are having to band together with some of the very relatives who were trying to...more
Cathy
You never quite know with this series what you're going to get book to book because the authors change, but I thought this was one of the better installments. I liked the slightly more mature tone, it was appropriate after everything these kids have been through to acknowledge that they're pretty traumatized and to deal with that. But it's still simple enough for younger readers as well. it's still a bit silly, the idea that these kids could rob a major museum with a day of preparation is just r...more
Jules
LOVED IT!!!! I think I actually like this ordeal better than the original ten... It's a whole lot better when all of the branches are working together instead of rivaling, which gives opportunities for MORE IAN!!! Ian is SO funny in this, and I'm actually really starting to love his character! How he always complains that he's "poor", and when he's with Sinead and Saladin, it was so funny i was laughing in my seat, which brought some awkward staring from my classmates. (I regret nothing.) With t...more
The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers Book 1: The Medusa Plot

Publication date: 8/30/2011
Pages: 224
Sales rank: 478
Age range: 9 – 12 Years
Lexile: 730L (what’s this?)
Series: 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers Series, #1

By: Gordon Korman

Summary: The clue hunt is over, two years have passed and Dan and Amy are back in school. Their au pair, Nellie is away at school in France (for culinary lessons, of course), Uncle Fiske...more
Reading Vacation
Get ready for another action packed installment of the famous 39 Clues series. You thought our heroes Amy and Dan were done after discovering the secret of the 39 clues? Well guess again. This new series is very exciting, with loads of suspense and mystery thrown in. Cahills are being kidnapped by an evil organization called the Vespers. Amy and Dan have to follow the Vespers demands or the unthinkable will happen.

Amy, now seventeen, is stronger and smarter than ever. Amy is amazing as she quick...more
Barb Middleton
Dan and Amy have to rescue seven Cahills who have been kidnapped by the Vespers. The two travel to Italy where they have to steal a Caravaggio painting called, Medusa, from the Uffizi Museum. The clues lead them next to the Colosseum in Rome.

Book one is vague on plot. It isn’t clear why the Vespers kidnapped that many people. I found this novel less funny, less believable, and more violent. Amy has a boyfriend and Dan is more serious. Dan also betrays his good friend which I thought was out of c...more
Ginny
Garrett M
Once again, Amy and Dan are off on another adventure. Many of their crazy relatives, who have now become friends, have been kidnapped by the mysterious group the Vespers. The leader of the group have sent Amy and Dan on a dangerous mission, threatening to hurt or kill the hostages. Join Amy and Dan as they do crazy things in this book following the 39 clues.

I gave this book a 4 star rating because even though it had and excellent idea for a plot, I did not like how much the characters have chang...more
Priyanka
Just posted this review on my blog http://www.PriyankaReads.com - check out this and many more young adult book reviews and recommendations there.

===

Rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars

Genre: Adventure

Age Recommended: 9 and up

The Medusa Plot is the first book of The 39 Clues Cahills vs. Vespers series. The book is by far my favorite book of the series because it is so action- packed.

-----------------------------------------

Dan and Amy thought that as soon as they completed the Clue hunt, they could live n...more
John Prosper
This book is AMAZING!!! It takes place after the first series. Amy and Dan thought they won the clue hunt and that their lives would be normal. But they were wrong. Now 7 Cahills have been kidnapped worldwide. Amy and Dan have received a package that contains a cell phone with one text message. "We have hostages. Do what we want or they die". This book keeps you reading until the end. I recommend this book to people who love mystery/detective fiction stories.
Taylor Groom
My book"The 39 Clues The Minnesota Plot'' is is about a 13-year-old boy named Daniel is older sister, Amy, they thought they belong to the most powerful Family in the world. In that other series 39 clues they were looking the 39 clues to reveal a secret that they're dead grandmother get them and in this series of 39 clues Cahills vs Vespers all of the Cahill's I've been kidnapped by the Vespers.
Irene Lê
It was a good book.... Will write my full review later. Just bought it from the book store. No, not in Vietnam, they don't sell that, in Australia, exactly.
I must said that I have always like the 39 clues series. They were hilarious, full with action and adventures, a little bit romance, and classified secrets.
But the medusa plot was a little disappointed. I don't know why....
Angie
The kids & I listen to this series in the car, and we thoroughly enjoyed the previous books. We were so excited to find this on and 2 others on CD at the library this week! As I've said before, it's DaVinci Code for kids. Even 'Mom' enjoys listening!! :)
Savita
Have I mentioned how much I love this series? And, admittedly, this was defintely one of the best books--Korman is one of my favorite authors as it is.
Katie
IT WAS SO EPIC! I'M A REALLY BAD REVIEWER WHEN IT COMES TO SERIES BOOKS THAT I LOVE, BUT THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING! TOTALLY WORTH WAITING FOR!!!
Isabel
This book is great! I recommend reading all of the 39 Clues books!
Alexa
(Review originally posted on Alexa Loves Books)

If you can't tell from my series review of the 39 Clues, I absolutely adore it - and the fact that there's this little spin-off makes me so, so happy. THE MEDUSA PLOT still has the elements I loved from the 39 Clues - adventure and action, exotic locations and the amazing Cahill family, but with a twist - the introduction of a completely new villain (the Vespers).

As with any 39 Clues book, we get to go an incredible, heart-pounding adventure along w...more
Bethany
As much as I enjoy the 39 Clues, this one felt a little off and I think it's because of Dan. I just wasn't feeling his attitude or his "desire" now (I won't spoil it for those who want to read it). I understand the unsettling feeling of doing the 39 clues and then coming back to a life of normalcy is just not possible for some (re: Frodo), but I think it was his "desire" that kind of started to grate on me. I do think Amy returned to normalcy a little too well, but I suppose it makes sense since...more
Kadbury(Young Readers)
*4.5 STARS*

OMG! The people who have Read The Maze of Bones(39 Clues Book #1) know how epic that book was but unfortunately the sequels did not live upto the EPICNESS that was the first book!

This book is AS Epic as Rick Riordan's Maze of Bones! I hope the rest of the spin off series is AS good as this book!

The author doesn't waste time trying to remind us of everything that has happened in the past and we get to meet Amy and Dan again! New characters are introduced but the focus is still on Amy...more
Pamela Galloway
As always, the 39 clues (and most of this genre) seems to be about kids saving the world.

The book begins with a nice twist, 7 Cahills getting kidapped...unknown location...unknown enemy...and some escape (not the 7, of course).

Not that I believed the last series, but this book seems to stretch my capabilities of logic. If Dan and Amy hadn't escaped....who would these "people" have gotten to do their bidding? And how can someone plan a heist after planning for a day? And how does Amy's boyfriend...more
Todd Fonseca
39 Clues The Medusa Plot: Cahills vs Vespers Book 1

Around the globe, one by one, members of the Cahill family are simultaneously disappearing. But with a bit of luck and a lot of skill, Dan and Amy Cahill escape a similar fate only to be the ones left to save the rest of their family. After being led around the world to do the bidding of the kidnappers, they decide to take the upper hand and find the prize sought by their tormentors and take control of the situation but will they be too late?

The...more
Rachel
The 39 Clues series continues with a 6-book spin-off focusing on their archenemies, the Vespers.

In the 11th book of the 39 Clues series, the Vesper origin was explained which was dated since their original ancestor, Gideon Cahill. The Vespers were a criminal organization bent on stealing the 39 Clues for themselves and, of course, using it for evil. Unlike the Cahills, the Vespers recruited by skill and not by blood so anyone ruthless enough could be a Vesper.

Fast forward to the present day, 7 m...more
Beaulah Pragg
Having thoroughly enjoyed the first series, I was excited to discover that this second series existed. Leading pretty much straight on from where I left off (minus a small adventure with the Vespers in some sort of bridging book I seemed to have missed), Amy and Dan are thrust into yet another difficult situation as the evil Vespers kidnap their friends and force them to carry out certain crimes if they ever want to see them alive again.

One of the things I loved in the original series was the wa...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
An exciting, new, action packed series from the creators of 39 Clues, The Medusa Plot brings together the Cahill family for a thrilling new adventure. The Cahills are the most powerful family in the world, and things look like they're about to change when one day, different family members are kidnapped at various places through out the world. Now their lives hang in the balance of Amy & Dan's hands.

I really liked being thrust right back into the adventurous, mysterious world that is all to f...more
Cahills vs Vesper...: Amy with Ian? Evan? Jake? 10 24 Nov 25, 2013 07:43PM
This is better than Percy Jackson 2 15 49 Nov 25, 2013 07:37PM
Something interesting I noticed 6 44 Nov 25, 2013 07:45AM
  • A King's Ransom (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #2)
  • The Dead of Night (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #3)
  • Shatterproof (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #4)
  • Trust No One (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #5)
  • Vespers Rising (39 Clues, #11)
  • Turbulence (The 39 Clues: Rapid Fire, #5)
  • Day of Doom (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #6)
  • Into the Gauntlet (The 39 Clues, #10)
  • The Black Circle (The 39 Clues, #5)
  • 39 Clues Agent Handbook
Korman wrote his first book, "This Can't be Happening at Macdonald Hall", when he was 12 years old, for a coach who suddenly found himself teaching 7th grade English. He later took that episode and created a book out of it, as well, in "The Sixth Grade Nickname Game", wherein Mr. Huge was based on that 7th grade teacher.

Korman moved to New York City, where he studied film and film writing. While i...more
More about Gordon Korman...
One False Note (The 39 Clues, #2) The Emperor's Code (The 39 Clues, #8) Schooled Swindle Ungifted

“Don't think of it as losing a boyfriend. Think of it as gaining a stalker."
-Dan Cahill”