Start by marking “The Flash, Vol. 2: The Road to Flashpoint” as Want to Read:
The Flash, Vol. 2: The Road to Flashpoint

The Flash, Vol. 2: The Road to Flashpoint (The Flash, Vol. III #2)

The race towards FALSHPOINT continues in this Flash collection from comics hottest writer Geoff Johns.

This volume features an epic telling of the origin of Barry Allen's greatest foe, Professor Zoom! Eobard Thawne's story is just beginning -- and he intends to finish it with The Flash!

Collecting THE FLASH #8-12.
Published November 22nd 2011 by DC Comics (first published November 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Flash, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Flash, Vol. 2

Flashpoint by Geoff JohnsThe Flash, Vol. 1 by Francis ManapulThe Flash by Geoff JohnsCrisis on Infinite Earths by Marv WolfmanThe Flash, Vol. 1 by Geoff Johns
Best of the Flash
16th out of 45 books — 31 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Alan MooreBatman by Jeph Loeb
Best of DC Comics
159th out of 226 books — 110 voters

More lists with this book...

Bookwraiths
Sep 25, 2016 Bookwraiths rated it really liked it
Great story with great art. Loved it. Want some more of it.
Sesana
Oct 11, 2012 Sesana rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
I'll be honest: everything I know about Flash I learned from crossover events. So I figured it would probably be a good idea to read the prelim stories for the Flashpoint event, in the hopes of having a better idea of what was going on. I ended up being glad that I did. Not so much for the actual storyline, that I do think will lead directly into Flashpoint proper. The collection starts out with a wonderfully creepy story about Zoom, and how he uses his time travel abilities to rewrite his own h ...more
John Yelverton
Sep 30, 2011 John Yelverton rated it really liked it
Despite its deceptive title, this book had very little to do with "Flashpoint". There were a few elements that made it into that book, but that was all.
Blindzider
Aug 14, 2016 Blindzider rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This is the last volume since "Rebirth" to lead up to Flashpoint. The best part of this was the first issue which basically gives the origin of the Reverse Flash. I had never read it before, and I don't know how much about it has been revealed but I really enjoyed it All of the motivation, emotional scarring and pure evil was there, shaping and creating the Flash's number one enemy.

The rest of the issues have yet another visitor for Barry from...somewhere else. These issues really just serve to
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I actually read this almost two weeks ago. I have been following the Flashpoint storyline since I watched the DC Animation movie, "The Flashpoint Paradox." It's very intense and even disturbing. This book is sort of like a prelude to that situation, related to the extreme hatred that Eobard Thawne has for the Flash (Bary Allen), who lived about a thousand years prior to the time in which Thawne lives, the 32nd century. Thawne's hero worship turns into hatred because he cannot live up to the stan ...more
Richard Guion
Dec 01, 2014 Richard Guion rated it really liked it
The stories in this volume are kind of odd. There are 2 excellent stand alone spotlight issues, one on Captain Boomerang (who is even more deadly due to powers attained during Blackest Night) and the other on Reverse Flash. Now I am reading this with hindsight knowing the new 52 reboot happened a year later. So it seems like at this point in time, they were laying groundwork for future stories in the old universe and not quite sure how big a shakeup Flashpoint would be.

The next 4 stories are a
Gavin
Apr 03, 2013 Gavin rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I've only read one Flashpoint book, so thought reading the Road to it would be a good idea. I was right...this was a great buildup for what's about to happen. I'm looking forward to it for sure. The background on Prof. Zoom is good, and I love having multiple generations of the Flash around. Also there's enough humour which is missing in many books but still serious enough for a major DC player.
Alan
Jan 27, 2013 Alan rated it liked it
While I admit to still being slightly chagrined at Geoff John's insistence at bringing Barry Allen back into the DCU (before the reboot), I have to give him credit for what I think is his strength as a writer. He makes the villains and supporting cast so much more interesting than the spear carriers they were before.

This volume builds up to Flashpoint, the event DC used to reboot their entire line. Another positive that I have to give Johns credit for is his making Barry's being a CSI a more imp
Peter
Jun 15, 2011 Peter rated it liked it
I went from not knowing anything about Flashpoint to seriously looking forward to it. "The Road to Flashpoint" concludes in a surprisingly balanced manner--there was enough closure to feel satisfied, and enough of a cliffhanger to stay interested. I don't want to include any spoilers, but I will say that I really could not get into Scott Kolins artwork, and I even feel like the last two issues suffered from it. There were emotional moments that were dulled by awkward facial expressions and poses ...more
Alejandra Diaz
Apr 03, 2016 Alejandra Diaz rated it really liked it
Viajes temporales. Multiverso. Speed force. Flash fam.

I'm so ready for this.
Phil
Jun 12, 2016 Phil rated it really liked it
Tarique Ejaz
Mar 23, 2016 Tarique Ejaz rated it liked it
Alternate Universes. Alternate Versions. Professor Zoom. Flashpoint Prelude.

That is enough to classify this story arc. Read it for each and every point mentioned above. It is smartly written although in attempting to make it too smart for the readers ends up messing it up at the same time. (Just like two Barry Allens trying to be there at the same time)

Professor Zoom is back and he is back with a vengeance, not to mention a rather extravagant plan. He is able to feed off other individual's age g
Michelle Cristiani
Time travel is a hard one for me. This volume I actually understood, which means it was well-done. I liked it, followed it, fit it into the canon pretty well. It clears up some knowledge holes I didn't even know I had. An easy and enjoyable read.
Matej
Oct 05, 2014 Matej rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although the title of this volume is The Road to Flashpoint, the story is pretty self contained, and pretty good, but not as good as the previous volume. The writting is consistently great, and in the case of the Reverse-Flash origin issue it is amazing.
On the other hand, the art varies a lot, the majority of issues are drawn by Scott Kolins and those are underwhelming when compared to the few issues that are done by Francis Manapul that are just amazing.
Overall, a good read, especially for the
Cindy
Oct 21, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it
Solid writing delivered by Geoff Johns, but overall, it's really hard to get into a visual narrative with the art of Scott Kolins. How is Kolins a professional artist? Not sure whether it's the artist or the colorist at fault but the artwork for those issues aren't as pleasant to read through. As some reviewers have mentioned, there's plenty of awkward facial expressions going on, really kills the vibe. Graphic Novels are visual, so this volume suffers a lot from having majority of the artwork d ...more
Mike Jozic
While there are some definite high points, and some great art by Manapul in this volume, Johns just fails to elevate this title above the point of mediocrity he drove it to some time ago. For a book about the fastest man alive it has been steadfastly running in place for years and, honestly, all the characters connected to the speed force have suffered as a result. The Flash has long been my favourite DC character but I don't even remember when I last read his adventures with any regularity. I d ...more
Feather Mista
Apr 13, 2012 Feather Mista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Flasheros
Recommended to Feather by: Morbo
Confieso que agarré el tomo (si se puede llamar "tomo" a una revista grapada. Volveré sobre ese punto más adelante) con cierta desconfianza y haciéndome la idea de que iba a parecerme malo, pese a los hiperdinámicos dibujos del filipino Manapul. Pero la verdad que me resultó una lectura muy grata (pese a que el protagonista es Barry Allen), con algunas vueltas de tuerca que me agarraron por sorpresa (pese a que oootra vez el malo sea justamente ese , personaje que me parece de lo más pedorro) y ...more
Jaq
Apr 03, 2015 Jaq rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Not quite as compelling as the others in the series, I still enjoyed this one enough to read it in one sitting.

The Flash was never a favourite character, until I discovered Flashpoint. The whole experiment in chronal temporal changes reminded me a lot of a Star Trek plot device, but it still was an enjoyable book to read, beautifully rendered artwork supported the teetering Barry storyline.
Justyn Rampa
Dec 26, 2011 Justyn Rampa rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The writing was top notch. I really enjoyed all the complexities and certainly the origin story of Reverse-Flash which I found to be rather amazing!

Unfortunately, Francis Manapul makes only a couple appearances in this volume leaving most of the burden of artwork to Scott Kolins. The art of Scott Kolins is crude and jarring and at times is a disservice to the story.

Francis Manapul's work comes as a breath of fresh air in the middle of the volume, and sadly stays for too short of time. That is no
Pedro
Oct 25, 2014 Pedro rated it really liked it
Una buena manera de retomar o empezar a leer The Flash. A veces es complicado o un poco rebuscado la forma de justificar el viaje en el tiempo gracias al speedforce, pero como siempre la justificación importa poco en los multiversos de los comics. Se lee rápido y es lo suficientemente divertido como para continuar leyendo la saga Flashpoint.
Brandt
Apr 10, 2016 Brandt rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
I know it's going to sound like a joke, but this story arc feels...rushed? Considering it is supposed to setup a "crossover-event" like Flashpoint nothing happens here that actually causes Flashpoint. There are some good moments, but like I said, it feels rushed, even though there are five issues to go through here.
Hannah Givens
Mar 23, 2014 Hannah Givens rated it really liked it
I picked this up because I'm about to read Flashpoint, not realizing that it was volume 2 of something, but that didn't matter. It involved me in the story and made me care about the characters from the beginning to the end, and I think I have all the info I need for Flashpoint now.
M
Dec 03, 2011 M rated it it was ok
The highest and lowest points of the Flash involve that tricky device known as time travel. This volume opens with psychotic speedster Professor Zoom using this plot device to rewrite his own history by eliminating those who might have prevented his rise to power in the 25th Century. Following this unique premise, we get stuck with a speedy supercop dubbed Hot Pursuit who is here to track down a threat to the timestream. While Barry Allen tries to slow down his doppleganger, he must also contend ...more
Lorne Voytek
Jun 17, 2015 Lorne Voytek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great intro to reverse flash

The Road To Flashpoint is a great lead-in to Flashpoint. I loved the origin story for Eobard Thawne. Although short in length it had miles of story line. Once again the story and artwork were up to speed. (Ha Ha)
Mathew Carruthers
Sep 04, 2014 Mathew Carruthers rated it really liked it
I'm not very well versed in The Flash comics, but this was surprisingly good, sparking my interest to read more vintage collections and current publications. The art is a bit inconsistent - good but not great, but it does get the job done.
Samuel Reynisson
Jun 01, 2015 Samuel Reynisson rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
By the time i write this i haven't read the main "Flashpoint" event. But this comic really got me excited to read it. Also i like the way we kind of get to know Reverse Flash a little bit with a small origin story at the start.
David Gunn
Jul 05, 2015 David Gunn rated it really liked it
read this after watching season 1 of the flash TV show. I had never read any stand alone flash comics but I really enjoyed this. it was a good take on a story, and made me want to read more.
Chris
Mar 05, 2014 Chris rated it liked it
This is the second installment in this Flash storyline, like the first it was exciting and interesting with very good artwork however I did prefer the first issue generally speaking
Lisa
Mar 05, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: ygn
A good starting point for me, the TV viewer. It's a familiar enough storyline, but it gives the reader a chance to process the differences between the show and the comic.
Kevin
May 17, 2015 Kevin rated it it was ok
Wish I could rate this 1.5 stars. Didn't like the art, and nothing much happens. Despite this being a lead-in to the giant reboot event thing.
  • Flashpoint: The World of Flashpoint Featuring The Flash
  • The Flash, Vol. 3: Gorilla Warfare
  • Green Arrow: Into the Woods
  • Forever Evil: Rogues Rebellion
  • Flashpoint: The World of Flashpoint Featuring Batman
Geoff Johns originally hails from Detroit, Michigan. He attended Michigan State University, where he earned a degree in Media Arts and Film. He moved to Los Angeles in the late 1990’s in search of work within the film industry. Through perseverance, Geoff ended up as the assistant to Richard Donner, working on Conspiracy Theory and Lethal Weapon 4. During that time, he also began his comics career ...more
More about Geoff Johns...

The Flash, Vol. III (4 books)
  • The Flash: Rebirth