Start by marking “American Outlaw” as Want to Read:
American Outlaw

American Outlaw

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  323 ratings  ·  52 reviews
The New York Times bestselling self-portrait of a flawed but determined everyman: rebel, outlaw, gearhead, artist, entrepreneur, lost son, and fiercely committed father

Jesse James is everything you imagined him to be— and more than you ever expected.

He has led a violent life. He’s survived lower depths, faced harder times, and beaten down more private
Published May 3rd 2011 by Gallery Books (first published April 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about American Outlaw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Outlaw

Jessica
I have no idea why I read this book other than it grabbed my attention at the library. After reading it, my overwhelming impression is that Jesse James is a narcissist. He remembers way to may detailed conversations, and those parts strike me as fabricated, but more than a liar, I think he distorts his view of reality so much that he believes it. He blames all his troubles on a violent childhood. The real problem seems to be his womanizing, and I don't see a valid excuse for that provided in his ...more
Lee Anne
In high school, did you know a football player who was a big guy who cared as much about beating the crap out of people as winning? Did you ever go see a punk show in the eighties, and see a guy who threw punches in the mosh pit, just for fun? Have you ever met a blue collar guy, who lives to work, and defines that work as something that is physical and gets your hands dirty? Put all these stereotypes together, and you have Jesse James.

I never watched an entire episode of "Monster Garage" and th
Mary
Wow. What to say. I have always been intrigued by Jesse James; however, this book was painful to read. Life is messy and Jesse's life has been especially complex. People come into their own at different ages in life. I don't think anyone worked harder than Jesse after he straightened out his life from some of his juvenile problems. Fortunately, according to Jesse, he is now emotionally maturing. Unfortunately, his delayed emotional intelligence learning curve has been at the expense of many, man ...more
Kirsten
I found this to be a pretty decent read. It had a very nice flow, and was well articulated.

I found the telling of Jesse James' early life very compelling. It definitely sheds light on why he is the way he is today. But beyond all the hardships, and all the shit he had been through, he still had a lot of motivation and drive.

I can definitely respect a guy who works hard, and Jesse James definitely did. He built his empire from the ground up, literally using his bare hands. I think more should be
Garci
I was as shocked as the rest of the world was when the news broke last year about Jesse James' infidelity and subsequent destruction of his marriage to Sandra Bullock. I wanted to read his book to get the story from his perspective and see if there were any answers in it.

He didn't really explain WHY he strayed in his marriage -- he just explains he was bored and felt undeserving of this great life he was living. I think he was basically a good person who made a ridiculously bad and selfish choi
Belinda
I was ready to hate Jessie James, perhaps I already did.
This book was picked up at a yardsale a few years ago by my son in a bag full of books for $1, and I groaned and rolled my eyes and explained why I thought the choice was a bad one.
My son reminded me that I'd loved Monster Garage, and really, what information could the media be depended upon to truthfully provide?

It took me a few years, but I finally relented and read the book.
What I found was some very smart writing and a glimpse into the
Kristie
American Outlaw is an amazing read. It's meaningful and holds a lot of answers to anyone who knows what it feels like to be going through a difficult time. Jesse Jame's story is a very heart felt chronical of who he is and why he is Jesse James.
This book has opened my eyes and given me the strength to not be afraid to look at the past memories and overcome them.
Loved this book!
Jonathan
American Outlaw is a great book to read, in my eyes however. The reason I read this book is because I am a huge fan of motorcycles and classic cars and I’ve always been intrigued by Jesses craftsmanship. He tells his memories so effervescently and with such great detail as if it all just happened yesterday. He coalesces his stories perfectly, starting from when he was a young teenager, into present day. The thing I like most about this book is his word choice. He doesn’t put a bunch of big fancy ...more
Shelly
Book was interesting, but it just confirmed the fact that he's a douchebag. Why the hell would you cheat on Sandra Bullock? She was too good for him anyway.
Janet Burney
Very interesting book! Although Jesse is a troubled man, it had a good message behind it: never give up on a dream!
Barbara
Julie Smith
I actually really liked this book. It was a fabulous look into the making of a motorcycle empire from the bottom up. He is a very smart guy even though he messed up his personal life, I understood where he was coming from, past disfunction and alcohol. I do recommend this book :)
Bozo The Clown
Is Jesse James a sympathetic character? yes. Are his marriage troubles his own doing? Yes. Does he say as much in the book? Yes. Is this a full, factual accounting of his life? No, it is as he remembers it and with his own bias. He does take responsibility for how things have turned out and clearly he positions himself as sympathetic. But there does seem to be a core of truth to the story he tells.

Regardless whether you love him or hate him, believe or doubt his version of events, it does make f
Eva-lynn
4 words. Pictures at the end! (ebook anyway)
I really enjoyed the book. I looked forward to reading it every night and going to sleep dreaming of him ;)
The man has had a crazy life and I must say, I am very very jealous of all the bands he got to tour with.

Because I never watched any of his shows, I went into this book having no idea what to expect other than motorcycles, Sandra Bullock and the whole drama surrounding that. I feel that I learned a lot about him, it's a good look into his life.
Wor
Amy Killian
I could only get through about 20 pages of this book. I used to be a big fan of Jesse's; I've even been to his MC shop in Long Beach. But this whole book felt like a big pity party: "I'm Jesse, I've done bad things in my life, and this is why, please forgive me." Maybe the timing of it was bad, since it came out right after he confessed to his cheating on Sandra Bullock. But one of my pet peeves is people who use their past as an excuse for their present actions. That's all this book was to me.
Lisa
I enjoy reading every kind of biography and this one was no different. The book is a fly through book in that it's written plainly and easily. Jesse James is a fascinating man who seems to have an innate movement to propel himself forward no matter the circumstance. I love when authors share their stories with accountability, awareness and learning; all of which Jesse did. He's no angel but he's all American product of our time and for that I like him. Great read- I recommend it!
Edward
Oct 07, 2012 Edward rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
I haphazardly picked up this book at Books A Million for $6.00. It was on clearance so I figured it was worth a shot. I've been a fan of Jesse James despite his "supposed" antisemitic views. Turns out he isn't antisemitic at all. I learned the truth about him and where those rumors came from. This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. It is well written and provides vivid details into the life of Jesse James.
Dino
I picked this up in the dollar bi at Barnes and Noble. I finished it in one night. Honestly I used to think the guy was awesome, then he went through the fame years, and he came off like a dick. But the book makes you believe that he was as sick of that in the moment as everyone else who thought it was.

He cops to the Bullock thing in a serious bit of literary bravery.

Janine comes off butt ass crazy.
Manda
I picked this up at that library...And sort of covered it up while walking walking around.

Honestly, I was curious about the whole affair part of the story. He had nothing but nice things to say about Sandy (but some things sort of contradicted interviews he later gave). His story growing up was painful, so it is quite an achievement in all that he has built today.
Diane
kp brought this book to me to read. he and i were fans of monster garage. this book tells alot about jesse and why he is the way he is. he even covers on cheating on sandra bolluck. i sympathize with his hard child life. i see him more as a victim now then i would have ever thought. he is a kinda trashy dude but he sure is american.
Tara
A very informative book about the man behind the West Coast Choppers power house.. I didnt know he played football and was that good, altho from looking at his build, it's not hard to see it now.. After his troubled past, it's also easy to see why his marriage to Sandra Bullock took a horrible turn..
Chood
I enjoyed reading the book and about his life. He didn't say anything bad about Sandra Bullock, which made me happy. I did feel at times that his actual words were maybe rewritten by a "writer." He did (as alot of folks do) blame his adult actions on his upbringing, so Jesse, time to grow up.
Adam Bricker
I'm slightly ashamed by how much I liked this book. Of course I watched Monster Garage and the other Discovery shows about him, but I was never really a fan. And his very public indiscretion didn't really do much for my opinion of him, but this is a well-written, thoughtful book.
J.
Not bad. The first half of the book, about his formative years, football, starting his business, etc was really good. At some point it kicked into Sandra Bullock kiss-ass mode, and was pretty boring. The last little bit wasn't bad though. Overall, a good read.
Christopher Beck
So many people have such interesting stories and I love to read about them, especially success stories. This wasn't the best bio I have ever read and it wasn't the worst, the overall writing wasn't the greatest but that doesn't mean this was a bad read.
Ruds
I felt slightly embarrassed reading this book but it turned to be well-written, insightful and over-all decent piece of work from Jesse James. I finished it in under a day, it was so engrossing that I spent half of Christmas day glued to my reader.
Lisa Salo
What a creep. Usually Autobiographies give me understanding of a a person and therefore, make them more likeable. Not so. Hard worker, yes. But all his other choices - self centered, arrogant, and violent. I hope he gets help.
Jarrett
This was a great autobiography. Always been a fan of Jesse James. The man has lived an interesting life. This book reads like a movie as well. I was more entertained than when I read the Ozzy autobiography. Highly recommended.
Tara
I feel like I have to point out that I got this one from the library. I was very curious to see what he had to say, especially about Sandra Bullock, BUT I did not want him making any money from me reading the book!
Shauna
I was pleasantly surprised by the this book. I didn't walk away being ok with what he did but I did have a greater understanding of him. There are many men out there like him with no sense of self worth.
  • Mr. Strangelove: A Biography of Peter Sellers
  • At the Center of the Storm: My Years at the CIA
  • Don Cherry's Hockey Stories and Stuff
  • Elvis by the Presleys
  • Red: My Uncensored Life in Rock
  • Befriend and Betray: Infiltrating the Hells Angels, Bandidos and Other Criminal Brotherhoods (Befriend and Betray, #1)
  • Cocaine's Son: A Memoir
  • Mr. Hockey: My Story
  • Superman: Last Stand of New Krypton, Vol. 2
I Am Jesse James Motorcycle Mania 3: Jesse James Rides Sentenced to Gender Swap: Gay Man to Straight Girl Bundle 1: Three Story Compilation Sentenced to Gender Swap: Naughty Nanny Sentenced to Gender Swap: Gay Nurse Caught