Start by marking “The Collected Stories” as Want to Read:
The Collected Stories

The Collected Stories

A collection of stories (World's End; Sinning with Annie; Jungle Bells; the Consul's File; the London Embassy) that delve into the worlds of a spectrum of characters.
Published February 1st 2011 by Penguin (first published July 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Stories

Manu Prasad
Apr 08, 2012 Manu Prasad rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
For a while now, I've been stuck inside my cocoon of Indian writing and travelogues, except for occasional forays. My biggest peeve was that I couldn't identify with international fiction. And Paul Theroux, with this book, just laughed. :)
The book has 5 parts, the last 2 with an obvious connection, but the remaining stories spans geographies, contexts and webs that humans create with their emotions and relationships. The first three have troubled marriages, stagnant relationships, death, decepti
Sara
Apr 15, 2007 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't really read this whole book. I have been picking it up lately. I love it, but it's really varied and also long. Sometimes there is a dull part about being a diplomat, but more often there is a very interesting part that may or may not be about being a diplomat. Mostly it's excellent to read and delves deeply into several genres. The regular short story style short stories in the beginning are my favorites-- "Algebra" makes me do The Running Man and The Cabbage Patch at the same time. I ...more
Beatles24
May 07, 2009 Beatles24 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strange if interesting book. The first half of the book contains poignant stories of relationships (usually sundered) and relationships that are near cloying but not enough to make one sick. And then there are stories that end abruptly without point - like they are a Sinfeldian account of what happened in someone's life on a given day - any day.

The second half of the book is quite funny in that it is set in two diplomatic outposts where the main character is stationed (Malaysia and London). The
Karin
Aug 10, 2012 Karin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a mixed bag,some are a little out there,most of them are enjoyable.The one that is still in my head is about the african moth which lays eggs into fabric.When the fabric is worn by humans, body heat will hatch the eggs and the larvae will live under the skin until they are ready to come out.Apparently the pain to the host is pretty bad to put it mildly.
Rachel
Aug 29, 2007 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some pretty ugly characterizations, though - the author, like many of his generation, is skilled at molding his own prejudice into a character. Particularly the self-loathing East Indian. Still, I enjoyed this collection as markers of a particular time. They are beautifully written, and of course not everything has changed since.
Dyah
Jul 31, 2007 Dyah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiksi, unfinished
waktu itu lagi pengen nulis buku ttg buildings and places, and my sister recommended that I read Paul Theroux's books. Berhubung bukunya tebel-tebel, jadi aku pinjem yang collected stories. Sempet baca beberapa cerita pertama. Kind of liked it. Tapi ga habis...
Kaarin
Oct 27, 2007 Kaarin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Life was so simple, and marriage only a complication. Marriage also implied a place: You were married and lived in a particular house; unmarried, yhou lived in the world, and there were no answers required of you.

Ah, Paul. You speak so well.
Frederick Bingham
A collection of short stories. I listened to about half of them on cassette. I lost interest thereafter.
Kat O
Feb 21, 2008 Kat O rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only got through the first 1/4 of the book, but I loved it! Will pick it back up some time soon. Pending library fees :)
Laura Hamilton
Mostly good. Some quite gripping, with surprise endings. Some utterly boring. I enjoyed the Consul's Files series of stories the most out of all of them.
Smalloy
Smalloy rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2012
Ellen Lebelle
Ellen Lebelle rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2012
Sally
Sally rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2008
Sam Stearman
Sam Stearman rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Andrés
Andrés rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2008
Abby Sominski
Abby Sominski rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2007
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2016
Gosiabunny
Gosiabunny rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2012
John Toast663
John Toast663 rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2009
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2009
Mark Scott
Mark Scott rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2007
Mitch
Mitch rated it it was ok
Apr 17, 2010
Omar Miah
Omar Miah rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2016
Laura Miles
Laura Miles rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2012
Angela Walker
Angela Walker rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2008
Giles
Giles rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2012
Charity
Charity rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2012
  • The Caveman's Valentine
  • Guidebook to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
  • The Complete Stories of Evelyn Waugh
  • A Sideways Look at Time
  • The Complex: Mapping America's Military-Industrial-Technological-Entertainment-Academic-Media-Corporate Matrix
  • S.H.I.E.L.D., Volume 1: Perfect Bullets
  • Novelties and Souvenirs: Collected Short Fiction
  • Collected Shorter Plays
  • Cotton Candy on a Rainy Day
Paul Edward Theroux is an American travel writer and novelist, whose best known work is The Great Railway Bazaar (1975), a travelogue about a trip he made by train from Great Britain through Western and Eastern Europe, the Middle East, through South Asia, then South-East Asia, up through East Asia, as far east as Japan, and then back across Russia to his point of origin. Although perhaps best know ...more
More about Paul Theroux...