Start by marking “Birdie's Big-Girl Dress (Birdie, #2)” as Want to Read:
Birdie's Big-Girl Dress (Birdie, #2)

Birdie's Big-Girl Dress (Birdie, #2)

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  233 ratings  ·  32 reviews
That night, Birdie dreamed of dresses--
fluttery floral sundresses...
lovely lace sheaths...
chic chiffon gowns...

In this follow-up to Birdie's Big-Girl Shoes, our favorite pint-sized fashionista is looking forward to a very BIG day--her birthday. But when Birdie tries on her favorite party dress, she realizes that - oh no! - it's too small. Mommy takes her to the boutique, w
Published September 5th 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Birdie's Big-Girl Dress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Birdie's Big-Girl Dress

Miss Melissa
I would have easily given this book 3 to 4 stars if it wasn't for the part where she is trying on dresses at a story and can't buy one of them because it was too snug to eat cake in. She can't be turning more than 5 in the story, what five year old should ever be that self aware about a piece of cake making them feel bigger or bloated?
Malea Potter
I thought this was a cute story about little girl who wanted the perfect dress, but didn't find it until she looked at what she already had and used her imagination. However, I know that there is some hype about the part where she days she can't get one dress because is so sleek she won't be able to eat cake in it (or something to that effect). People get all up in arms about it and complain that a five-year-old should not be worrying about her figure or whether or not the dress will fit right a ...more
I think this is a cute book about a fun little adventure a little girl has with trying to find a new dress. It was always fun as a little girl to go out with my mom and find a new dress! As for the part that I know makes people a little upset, I didn't even catch it myself until it was pointed out to me. I really don't think children that are young enough to be reading this will catch it. I agree that this society puts too much emphasis on being a certain size and I agree that little girls, even ...more
Shanshad Whelan
I'm giving it three stars because the collage work illustrations are quite delightful. Our main character Birdie is having a birthday party and needs a new dress, but none of the dresses she tries on are quite right. Finally she goes up to the attic and finds old clothing that she combines into a party outfit just right for her. I like the message at the end, if only the message in the middle weren't quite so . . . uncomfortable.

Birdie tries on dresses that aren't "big girl" dresses, they're mor
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Birdie is an adorable little girl who's so excited to celebrate her upcoming party. This pint size fashionista has a problem, she doesn't know what to wear to her party. Her mother takes her shopping at a local boutique, but Birdie can't find what she's looking for. It's until she rummages through the attic does she find the perfect outfit. The attic scenes were my favorite! I can only imagine the hours that could be spent playing dress up there.

The only problem I had with the story is found on
Kayla Skeans
Now this would be a good book to read,however this book has some content that has caused an up rising over how the author shouldn't have put that such a young girl should not be worrying about her figure in a dress and how it feels to wear a certain dress. I agree that this is something that isn't normal for a young girl to have to worry about, so I would not allow this book to be on my book shelf for the whole class to read.
This book is really rather cute, and while there is some stuff that Birdie says that is a little to advanced for her age, it was still a pretty cute book. I love the dress that she finally picks to wear at the party. Very cute, and clever, and funny. Just what a kid would do.
Clothing: Dresses

The book had great, textured artwork and I'm sure fans of Pinkalicious will soak it up but there was one glaring oddity involving a dress that is too tight for cake (how old is she?).
The value of creativity notwithstanding, it's still just shallow, materialistic tripe that reinforces stale norms.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Birdie’s birthday is coming and she wants to have a special dress to wear for her party. But, though she tries on many, many dresses, Birdie doesn’t find a dress she likes. Finally, Birdie goes up into the attic and put together a dress from special things of her grandma and grandpa. She makes her own big-girl dress for her party.

“’Oh!’ exclaimed Birdie when she turned on the light.

The attic was a magical place.

Birdie giggled as she wrapped a big shawl around herself. She felt so…stylish!
Monica Williams
Fancy Nancy and dress up fans will appreciate this!
Sep 03, 2014 Trish rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: je, 2014
It is Birdie's birthday and her party dress no longer fits so she is off to find a new one.
Becca Peffley
This was a very cute book. It is about a girl Birdie, that can't find a dress to wear to her birthday party. She ends up finding an old dress in her attic at home that used to be her grandmother's, and everyone loved it! The illustrations were awesome. All of the different types of dresses made it very fun and interesting to read and read outloud. This book might not appeal to ALL children though. It is a little girly. But still, a very cute book.
I picked this up while browsing and realized I had to have it for my 3.5 year old fashionista. The story is cute, but the illustrations are wonderful. The texture is so perfect, it is surprising when you can't actually feel the lace. One of my favorite pages is the hat page. So fantastic. (And I love Birdie's choice.)

Just putting it out there, but I wouldn't mind a final book in the trilogy. Birdie needs a Big Girl Handbag, after all!
Birdie is getting ready for her birthday party but her favorite party dress is too small. Thus starts the search for a new dress. A combination of watercolor and paper collage compliment the book. Good for a storytime on fashion, but it would be good to bring in samples for examples of the fabrics kids would not be familiar with like chifon and lace.
Oh, what to say? I loved the illustrations and the colorful pages. But this is a story for little girls who shop for dresses in boutiques, have a fabulous sense of style, and have friends named Coco. This is not my student population and this is a title that I will skip for my elementary school collection.
Beautiful illustrations with a mix of washy concentrated inks and collage. The characters in the story seem like wealthy Manhattanites, with all the couture fashion choices and concerns (this includes the pet dog's fashion concerns), nit its a fun read.
I loved the illustrations - a combination of watercolor, cut paper and pencil - but the story resolved itself far too quickly and unbelievably for me. How likely is it that a little girl would just HAPPEN to find an attic full of old clothes?
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
I loved the illustrations for this, and although I love the story line it did feel very Park Ave-ish, which is okay. Loved Bridie's creativity of going through the old cloths in the attic. Look forward to Birdie's next adventure. P.K.
Mrs. Nelson's
Sujean Rim(of Daily Candy fame) has written another beautifully-illustrated book about staying true to yourself. Perfect for stylish little girls and their equally fashionable moms!
--Review by Lauren
Danie P.
A cute story about Birdie, who has nothing to wear to her birthday party. She decides to go in the attic and put together her very own outfit.
I enjoyed the fashion illustrations. It was a cute story, and I would definitely recommend it to children who absolutely love dress-up.
Wonderful collage and watercolor illustrations and a sweet story about individuality and choice. Will seek out the first Birdie book!
LOVE this picture book - this girl puts her outfits together just like me!
Ms. M
Birdie searches for the perfect dress for her upcoming birthday party.
Definitely a book for a budding fashionista
Loved the illustrations in this book!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Bailey at the Museum
  • Zoe Gets Ready
  • Huff & Puff: Can You Blow Down the Houses of the Three Little Pigs?
  • Night Lights