Twisted Velvet Chains

Twisted Velvet Chains

4.56 of 5 stars 4.56  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Published May 4th 2011 by createspace.com

To ask other readers questions about Twisted Velvet Chains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twisted Velvet Chains

Clarissa Draper
Twisted Velvet Chains by Jessica Bell--a collection of various styles of poetry including haikus.

And I loved them all. I literally could not put it down and read it in one sitting.

However, this book is not for the faint of heart. If you looking for happy poems that make you want to skip around your backyard pond and sing naked. This book may not provide what you need. Well, the naked part maybe.

The book is written in four parts and throughout I hoped the end would be the light at the end of the...more
Jrmcrae
This is an extraordinarily insightful collection, semi-autobiographical, I believe, of the author's experience growing up with a bipolar parent.

The images are by turn wrenching, tearing and soaring. Jessica never allows the traumatic experiences from her past to lessen her passion for life but takes them and uses them powerfully to lay bare and so share with others her coping process.

Poetry is often a coping process. So is Writing, so is painting, sculpting and any number of other creative outl...more
Jennifer Daiker
Not one to normally pick up a book of poetry I took a leap of faith unaware on what I'd find with each page.

I was left breathless. This book is not meant for those who love the light and airy feel of certain poems. Bell gives you painstaken attention to detail with the raw and moving emotion that each poem leaves.

This book represents real life, real emotion, and real people. Growing up with a bi-polar mother I found myself captivated and in touch with the feelings that are shared. Brutal honest...more
Janice Williams
I had read several of the poems included in "Twisted Velvet Chains" before publication, and this collection clearly shows the open heart of the poet and the expertise with which she places careful words with emotional abandonment. And that is what I admire most of all: the balance of the perfectly chosen word, the well-thought-out design of text and white space even, with the complete disregard for being careful with emotions, with the thoughts and feelings behind the words. It can take years fo...more
Angela
Apr 26, 2011 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Angela by: http://thealliterativeallomorph.blogspot.com/
Reading Jessica Bell's poetry is like eating a steak dinner. It's filling and gives you something substantial to chew on.

In Twisted Velvet Chains, Jessica Bell covers all the bases. She doesn't just tell us what it's like to grow up with a bi-polar mother, she shows us by exploiting tactile details. The smell of tape, the sound of a guitar string, the stickiness of chewing gum, the "innocence" of a French kiss. A must read for anyone who loves vivid, passionate, visceral poetry.
Lindsay
Having been lucky enough to read some of Jessica's poetry before I was looking forward to read Twisted Velvet Chains.

I wasn't disappointed.

The poetry in TVC isn't walking in the sunshine, looking at flowers kind of poetry. They are powerful, brutally honest, raw, emotional and thought provoking. Poetry was always meant as a form of expression. To make you think and feel. For me, TVC does all those things.
Talli Roland
It's been a long time since I've read a book of poetry, so when I sat down when Bell's 'Twisted Velvet Chains', I wasn't quite sure what to expect.

Wow.

The poems grab you by the throat and won't let go. Visceral and powerful, Bell masterfully evokes image after image. Words become hammers, striking blows. It sounds a horrible cliché, but I couldn't put it down.
Darlene
I won this book from goodreads. It was intense, mesmerizing.....intensely mesmerizing!
Jim
Twisted Velvet Chains is a collection of poems which follows the experiences of one woman growing up with a bipolar, drug addicted, gothic musician mother. Each poem represents specific moments of their life that embrace vivid rich imagery, and illustrate the turmoil of emotions both experience while together. The collection is divided into four parts that flow one into the other from childhood, adolescence, adulthood, and post-death.

Bottom line: Twisted Velvet Chains will not be a collection ev...more
Laurie Clayton
WOW...Where do I start?

From the first insightful poem of 'Bipolar Tongues' right through to the very emotive and touching finale of 'Thorns Like Dough' Jessica Bell draws you in and keeps you with her through the stark reality of a Daughter's relationship with her Bipolar Mother, from childhood to adulthood.

Try as I might, I just could not put this book down.
Jessica employs a wonderful array of poetic forms, including a wonderful double cleve in the form of 'Crossed Wires' where she gives us fou...more
Teresa
I DON'T BEGIN TO CLAIM TO UNDERSTAND POETRY AND THIS WAS THE FIRST SUCH WORK THAT I'VE EVER CHOSEN TO READ. I FELT THE PAIN OF A CHILD GROWING UP WITH A BIPOLAR MOTHER, WANTING TO LOVE HER BUT STRUGGLING TO PROTECT HERSELF FROM "IT"....THE CHILD'S NAME FOR THE OTHER HORRIBLE PERSONALITY THAT ALSO EXISTS INSIDE HER MOTHER. THIS IS THE STORY OF A CHILD WHO COMES HOMES FROM HER FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL TO FIND HER MOTHER PASSED OUT ON THE FLOOR AND THEN AT THE AGE OF EIGHTEEN IRONICALLY WATCHES AS HER M...more
Stephen Parrish
This muscular and brutally honest collection of poems appeals to the senses. The poems are dark, some are disturbing, all are vivid. My favorites are "Secret Friends," "By Tongues," and "Fork."
Jolene Perry
I sat down to read a few of the first poems in this book and couldn't put it down.
Jessica Bell is an incredibly talented poet, pulling me in after only a few pages.
I love how INTERESTING her use of language is and how full of emotion her poems are.

Well Done :D
Donna Milward
In a word--wow. I don't think I've ever read such raw pain and anger put so eloquently. At times I wasn't sure if I was brave enough to finish it. But I did, and it was worth it. I swallowed it hard in one sitting. Truly beautiful and unique.
Kristina Franken
I highly recommend this book for anyone

FTC: I received a free copy of this book and was not reimbursed in any other way.
Mara
good read
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Natalie Pietro
Natalie Pietro marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Hannah Kincade
Hannah Kincade marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Abby Mabb
Abby Mabb marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Dakota
Dakota marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Casi
Casi marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Kiera
Kiera marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Septima Severa
Septima Severa marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Keely
Keely marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
If Jessica Bell could choose only one creative mentor, she'd give the role to Euterpe, the Greek muse of music and lyrics. This is not only because she currently resides in Athens, Greece, but because of her life as a 30-something Australian-native contemporary fiction author, award-winning poet and singer/songwriter/guitarist, whose literary inspiration often stems from songs she's written.

Being...more
More about Jessica Bell...
String Bridge The Book Fabric Bitter Like Orange Peel Show & Tell in a Nutshell: Demonstrated Transitions from Telling to Showing (Writing in a Nutshell Series, #1)

“I don’t know how to pray,
but I’ve seen them do it
on TV; kneeling by a bed
in nightgowns, hands woven