Start by marking “Twisted Velvet Chains” as Want to Read:
Twisted Velvet Chains

Twisted Velvet Chains

4.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  41 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Published May 4th 2011 by createspace.com

To ask other readers questions about Twisted Velvet Chains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twisted Velvet Chains

Clarissa Draper
Apr 26, 2011 Clarissa Draper rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Twisted Velvet Chains by Jessica Bell--a collection of various styles of poetry including haikus.

And I loved them all. I literally could not put it down and read it in one sitting.

However, this book is not for the faint of heart. If you looking for happy poems that make you want to skip around your backyard pond and sing naked. This book may not provide what you need. Well, the naked part maybe.

The book is written in four parts and throughout I hoped the end would be the light at the end of the
Jrmcrae
Jul 08, 2011 Jrmcrae rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This is an extraordinarily insightful collection, semi-autobiographical, I believe, of the author's experience growing up with a bipolar parent.

The images are by turn wrenching, tearing and soaring. Jessica never allows the traumatic experiences from her past to lessen her passion for life but takes them and uses them powerfully to lay bare and so share with others her coping process.

Poetry is often a coping process. So is Writing, so is painting, sculpting and any number of other creative outl
Jennifer Daiker
May 18, 2011 Jennifer Daiker rated it really liked it
Not one to normally pick up a book of poetry I took a leap of faith unaware on what I'd find with each page.

I was left breathless. This book is not meant for those who love the light and airy feel of certain poems. Bell gives you painstaken attention to detail with the raw and moving emotion that each poem leaves.

This book represents real life, real emotion, and real people. Growing up with a bi-polar mother I found myself captivated and in touch with the feelings that are shared. Brutal honest
Janice Williams
Sep 06, 2011 Janice Williams rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I had read several of the poems included in "Twisted Velvet Chains" before publication, and this collection clearly shows the open heart of the poet and the expertise with which she places careful words with emotional abandonment. And that is what I admire most of all: the balance of the perfectly chosen word, the well-thought-out design of text and white space even, with the complete disregard for being careful with emotions, with the thoughts and feelings behind the words. It can take years fo ...more
Angela
Apr 26, 2011 Angela rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Angela by: http://thealliterativeallomorph.blogs...
Reading Jessica Bell's poetry is like eating a steak dinner. It's filling and gives you something substantial to chew on.

In Twisted Velvet Chains, Jessica Bell covers all the bases. She doesn't just tell us what it's like to grow up with a bi-polar mother, she shows us by exploiting tactile details. The smell of tape, the sound of a guitar string, the stickiness of chewing gum, the "innocence" of a French kiss. A must read for anyone who loves vivid, passionate, visceral poetry.
Lindsay
Jun 26, 2011 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Having been lucky enough to read some of Jessica's poetry before I was looking forward to read Twisted Velvet Chains.

I wasn't disappointed.

The poetry in TVC isn't walking in the sunshine, looking at flowers kind of poetry. They are powerful, brutally honest, raw, emotional and thought provoking. Poetry was always meant as a form of expression. To make you think and feel. For me, TVC does all those things.
Talli Roland
May 03, 2011 Talli Roland rated it it was amazing
It's been a long time since I've read a book of poetry, so when I sat down when Bell's 'Twisted Velvet Chains', I wasn't quite sure what to expect.

Wow.

The poems grab you by the throat and won't let go. Visceral and powerful, Bell masterfully evokes image after image. Words become hammers, striking blows. It sounds a horrible cliché, but I couldn't put it down.
Darlene
Jul 08, 2011 Darlene rated it really liked it
I won this book from goodreads. It was intense, mesmerizing.....intensely mesmerizing!
Jim
Apr 01, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it
Twisted Velvet Chains is a collection of poems which follows the experiences of one woman growing up with a bipolar, drug addicted, gothic musician mother. Each poem represents specific moments of their life that embrace vivid rich imagery, and illustrate the turmoil of emotions both experience while together. The collection is divided into four parts that flow one into the other from childhood, adolescence, adulthood, and post-death.

Bottom line: Twisted Velvet Chains will not be a collection ev
Laurie Clayton
Jan 22, 2012 Laurie Clayton rated it it was amazing
WOW...Where do I start?

From the first insightful poem of 'Bipolar Tongues' right through to the very emotive and touching finale of 'Thorns Like Dough' Jessica Bell draws you in and keeps you with her through the stark reality of a Daughter's relationship with her Bipolar Mother, from childhood to adulthood.

Try as I might, I just could not put this book down.
Jessica employs a wonderful array of poetic forms, including a wonderful double cleve in the form of 'Crossed Wires' where she gives us fou
Teresa
Apr 01, 2012 Teresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I DON'T BEGIN TO CLAIM TO UNDERSTAND POETRY AND THIS WAS THE FIRST SUCH WORK THAT I'VE EVER CHOSEN TO READ. I FELT THE PAIN OF A CHILD GROWING UP WITH A BIPOLAR MOTHER, WANTING TO LOVE HER BUT STRUGGLING TO PROTECT HERSELF FROM "IT"....THE CHILD'S NAME FOR THE OTHER HORRIBLE PERSONALITY THAT ALSO EXISTS INSIDE HER MOTHER. THIS IS THE STORY OF A CHILD WHO COMES HOMES FROM HER FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL TO FIND HER MOTHER PASSED OUT ON THE FLOOR AND THEN AT THE AGE OF EIGHTEEN IRONICALLY WATCHES AS HER M ...more
Stephen Parrish
This muscular and brutally honest collection of poems appeals to the senses. The poems are dark, some are disturbing, all are vivid. My favorites are "Secret Friends," "By Tongues," and "Fork."
Zara KillingRomance1112
Aug 07, 2016 Zara KillingRomance1112 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eng, lyrik
Leseeindruck von diesem englischen Lyrikband

Ich kann leider nicht in englisch ausdrücken wie sehr ich dieses Büchlein mochte. Das englisch ist etwas schwieriger deshalb war es mir auch nicht möglich alles zu verstehen, jedoch das meiste. Das Buch baut sich zeitlich auf die Spanne von Kindheit bis selbst erwachsen sein auf. Durchgängig wird eine schwierige Tochter-Mutterbeziehung dargestellt. Das Buch ist düster und voller wundervoller Metaphern und einem unheimlich guten Rhythmus. Es ist es auf
Jolene Perry
Jul 22, 2011 Jolene Perry rated it it was amazing
I sat down to read a few of the first poems in this book and couldn't put it down.
Jessica Bell is an incredibly talented poet, pulling me in after only a few pages.
I love how INTERESTING her use of language is and how full of emotion her poems are.

Well Done :D
Donna Milward
Aug 23, 2011 Donna Milward rated it it was amazing
In a word--wow. I don't think I've ever read such raw pain and anger put so eloquently. At times I wasn't sure if I was brave enough to finish it. But I did, and it was worth it. I swallowed it hard in one sitting. Truly beautiful and unique.
Kristina Franken
Sep 04, 2012 Kristina Franken rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book for anyone

FTC: I received a free copy of this book and was not reimbursed in any other way.
Mara
Feb 28, 2012 Mara rated it it was amazing
good read
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Gary
Gary rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
Kayla Furnia
Kayla Furnia marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Mehrnoosh Raissi
Mehrnoosh Raissi marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Hayley Shaver
Hayley Shaver marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Patty
Patty marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Nicole Gauss
Nicole Gauss marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Glamorously Unglamorous Life
  • The Necromancer's Apprentice (The Necromancer's Apprentice #1)
  • Unscrambled Eggs
  • Still Life With Brass Pole
  • The Caligula Club Hits the Brick Wall
  • Construct A Couple (Serenity Holland, #2)
  • Killer Verse: Poems of Murder and Mayhem
  • Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow (Jacob Wonderbar, #1)
  • U2 at the End of the World
  • Tainted: Tales of Terror and the Supernatural
  • Swarm
  • Airmail
  • With Just One Click...
  • Jumble Tales
  • From Dark Places
  • Feast (Harvest of Dreams, #1)
  • What Lisa Knew: The Truth and Lies of the Steinberg Case
  • Breaths in Winter
If Jessica Bell could choose only one creative mentor, she'd give the role to Euterpe, the Greek muse of music and lyrics. This is not only because she currently resides in Athens, Greece, but because of her life as a 30-something Australian-native contemporary fiction author, award-winning poet and singer/songwriter/guitarist, whose literary inspiration often stems from songs she's written.

Being
More about Jessica Bell...

“I don’t know how to pray,
but I’ve seen them do it
on TV; kneeling by a bed
in nightgowns, hands woven