Start by marking “Restoration (The World House #2)” as Want to Read:
Restoration (The World House #2)

Restoration (The World House #2)

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  171 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
None who enter the World House leave it unchanged.

They sought the box for many years, because held inside that arcane magical artefact was, miraculously, a house. But now its real purpose has become clear – it was a prison, and the infinitely evil being it was built to imprison has been let loose. Now the real quest begins in earnest.

This direct sequel to the critically ac
Published July 7th 2011 by Angry Robot (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Restoration, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Restoration

Marcus
May 31, 2011 Marcus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In February 2010 I got myself a copy of Guy Adams’ The World House and I think it is one piece of insane genius. Anmong other things I had this to say:

If you enjoy strange and bizarre tales and especially if you love Neil Gaiman’s work and wonder what his tales would be like on a bad trip, get yourself a copy of The World House.

So I was obviously delighted when I got my hands on part two of the story of The World House: Restoration.

After reading both parts now, I cannot help but wonder what is g
Woodge
This book essentially finishes the story begun in The World House which I read last March. A random selection of people, upon discovering an odd puzzle box and dangerous situations, find themselves trapped in a mysterious house that defies logic, has endless corridors, rooms, and dangers. In this story they realize that they must somehow re-imprison the Prisoner who was inadvertently loosed in the first book. This Prisoner is evil and has god-like powers. It's not going to be easy. Not everyone ...more
Paul
Jul 13, 2011 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Beast is loose.

After countless years trapped inside the World House, its sinister prisoner is loose and pure evil has been loosed upon the world.

Now the motley band of explorers, treasure hunters and thrill seekers must unit to imprison it once more.

Nothing to it…

A little less than a month ago I was sat in the audience for the raffle at Alt.Fiction and Restoration by Guy Adams came up as one of the prizes. The affable Mr Adams was hosting said raffle and when his latest book appeared he mad
Soo
I read this immediately after finishing the first book, which I believe allowed a better appreciation of it.
With a lot more of the action, past and present, focused outside of the house one gets to see much wider view of several characters. There are some lovely twists in the sequel, which I felt softened some of the harsher parts of the first book.
I am definitely left feeling I want to read more of this author's work, which is always a bonus.
Yve-Anne
You really need to have read the first book (The World House) in order to understand this second book. I had been looking forward to reading this book, having enjoyed The World House. Although Restoration continues the journey, the movement between the various and many characters becomes somewhat confusing and, at times, I wasn't sure whether I should care about a character or not. The journey towards the restoration of the House and the capture of the evil Prisoner, progresses by ingenious leap ...more
Michael Bourgon

Nasty, brutish, mean-spirited, miscategorized. I so wanted to like this story. What's not to like? It's like the Midnight At The Well Of Souls, but set in a house! Multiple viewpoints, multiple characters! Time travelling!

However, several main flaws. One, it's more than a little mean. It's closer to horror than Urban Fantasy The bad guy is both utterly reprehensible yet unlikeable, so he comes off as a hopelessly cruel force of nature. There's a LOT of mean parts for no good reason. Some pay of
Natalie
Nov 13, 2014 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting, marvelously confusing, calamitously surreal fantasy-science fiction. The characters come from distinctly different times and places--except the ones who come from exactly the same places but different times. "Restoration" and "The World House" are well written and well constructed--very enjoyable, if you can take some graphic, if clearly unreal, violence.
Todd
Jan 18, 2015 Todd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suffers from the same characterization flaws as its predecessor - of course, since they're mostly the same characters, and the two books are really more like one long story in a number of ways. The plot in this one didn't really click for me, either. I'll try Adams out again in the future, provided he moves on from the house to something different.
Katie Webb
Mar 12, 2012 Katie Webb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I didn't quite love this book as much as I did the first one, but it was a good conclusion to the events of The World House. I got more of my favourite double-team: Carruthers and Miles. This volume also suffered from the problem of too many characters who didn't really serve enough of a purpose to warrant their existence. All in all, I thought it was a good read.
Brian Heverly
Mar 26, 2012 Brian Heverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off.. WOW! What a great series. I wish their was more to come. Honestly though, i think restoration should have been 2 books. I mean Guy did a fantastic job writing the first world house and it didnt seemed rushed because he knew he was doing a sequel. As good as part two was, i think he rushed it alittle bit... before i new it it was over. Yo Guy, write a prequel!! Or even a 3rd, please.
Tyrannosaurus regina
I had the same difficulty with this book as I did with its predecessor--it was an uphill battle at first, getting into it. I've been picking away at it for a long time. But then once I got over the hump I accelerated right to the end of the book. It's got some fascinating ideas, and I enjoyed it, but it was a bit of a rough road getting there.
Vicky
Dec 31, 2011 Vicky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually enjoyed this more than the first one. Im not sure if this is due to being familiar with the concepts from the first book so it was easier to get into or just because it was better but again I really enjoyed it.
Lawrence
The story is confusing because of the time travel element. There are too many characters and the author keeps jumping from one story line to another too much. The ending also left much to be desired.
Chris Knox
Mar 26, 2013 Chris Knox rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mega disappointed in this. Book 1 was a 2 star book with a 4 star finish that made me go for book 2... Shouldn't have. All over the place!
Mark
Feb 25, 2013 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
wonderful conclusion to the out of this world adventure
Bekah
Bekah rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Canyonxplorer
Canyonxplorer marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
DameHedwig
DameHedwig rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Jamie
Jamie rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
James Bore
James Bore rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
Eric Bell
Eric Bell marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
David
David rated it it was ok
May 21, 2016
Michelle Monroe
Michelle Monroe marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Bela
Bela added it
May 04, 2016
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Branepowerguy
Branepowerguy rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Lu Jimenez
Lu Jimenez marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
D S Lucey
D S Lucey rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Slights
  • The Shadow of the Soul (The Dog-Faced Gods, #2)
  • Night's Engines (The Nightbound Land, #2)
  • Seven Point Eight: The First Chronicle
  • Nobody's Fault
  • Catherine the Inquisitor (The Six Lives of Henry the VIII #1)
  • The Great Game (The Bookman Histories, #3)
  • The Swarm
  • City of Light & Shadow (City of a Hundred Rows, #3)
  • The Art of Aging: A Doctor's Prescription for Well-Being
  • Redlaw
  • Bobby's Boy
  • She Returns From War
  • Lost London: An A-Z of Forgotten Landmarks and Lost Traditions
  • The Crown of the Blood
  • Bloodstone (Deadtown, #3)
  • Aliens in the Sky (Spooksville, #4)
  • Frail (Dust, #2)

The World House (2 books)
  • The World House (The World House #1)