Restoration (The World House #2)

Restoration (The World House #2)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  12 reviews
None who enter the World House leave it unchanged.

They sought the box for many years, because held inside that arcane magical artefact was, miraculously, a house. But now its real purpose has become clear – it was a prison, and the infinitely evil being it was built to imprison has been let loose. Now the real quest begins in earnest.

This direct sequel to the critically ac...more
Published July 7th 2011 by Angry Robot (first published January 1st 2011)

Marcus
In February 2010 I got myself a copy of Guy Adams’ The World House and I think it is one piece of insane genius. Anmong other things I had this to say:

If you enjoy strange and bizarre tales and especially if you love Neil Gaiman’s work and wonder what his tales would be like on a bad trip, get yourself a copy of The World House.

So I was obviously delighted when I got my hands on part two of the story of The World House: Restoration.

After reading both parts now, I cannot help but wonder what is g...more
Woodge
This book essentially finishes the story begun in The World House which I read last March. A random selection of people, upon discovering an odd puzzle box and dangerous situations, find themselves trapped in a mysterious house that defies logic, has endless corridors, rooms, and dangers. In this story they realize that they must somehow re-imprison the Prisoner who was inadvertently loosed in the first book. This Prisoner is evil and has god-like powers. It's not going to be easy. Not everyone...more
Paul
The Beast is loose.

After countless years trapped inside the World House, its sinister prisoner is loose and pure evil has been loosed upon the world.

Now the motley band of explorers, treasure hunters and thrill seekers must unit to imprison it once more.

Nothing to it…

A little less than a month ago I was sat in the audience for the raffle at Alt.Fiction and Restoration by Guy Adams came up as one of the prizes. The affable Mr Adams was hosting said raffle and when his latest book appeared he mad...more
Soo
I read this immediately after finishing the first book, which I believe allowed a better appreciation of it.
With a lot more of the action, past and present, focused outside of the house one gets to see much wider view of several characters. There are some lovely twists in the sequel, which I felt softened some of the harsher parts of the first book.
I am definitely left feeling I want to read more of this author's work, which is always a bonus.
Michael Bourgon

Nasty, brutish, mean-spirited, miscategorized. I so wanted to like this story. What's not to like? It's like the Midnight At The Well Of Souls, but set in a house! Multiple viewpoints, multiple characters! Time travelling!

However, several main flaws. One, it's more than a little mean. It's closer to horror than Urban Fantasy The bad guy is both utterly reprehensible yet unlikeable, so he comes off as a hopelessly cruel force of nature. There's a LOT of mean parts for no good reason. Some pay of...more
Katie Webb
I didn't quite love this book as much as I did the first one, but it was a good conclusion to the events of The World House. I got more of my favourite double-team: Carruthers and Miles. This volume also suffered from the problem of too many characters who didn't really serve enough of a purpose to warrant their existence. All in all, I thought it was a good read.
Brian Heverly
First off.. WOW! What a great series. I wish their was more to come. Honestly though, i think restoration should have been 2 books. I mean Guy did a fantastic job writing the first world house and it didnt seemed rushed because he knew he was doing a sequel. As good as part two was, i think he rushed it alittle bit... before i new it it was over. Yo Guy, write a prequel!! Or even a 3rd, please.
Rrain
I had the same difficulty with this book as I did with its predecessor--it was an uphill battle at first, getting into it. I've been picking away at it for a long time. But then once I got over the hump I accelerated right to the end of the book. It's got some fascinating ideas, and I enjoyed it, but it was a bit of a rough road getting there.
Vicky
I actually enjoyed this more than the first one. Im not sure if this is due to being familiar with the concepts from the first book so it was easier to get into or just because it was better but again I really enjoyed it.
Lawrence
The story is confusing because of the time travel element. There are too many characters and the author keeps jumping from one story line to another too much. The ending also left much to be desired.
Chris Knox
Mega disappointed in this. Book 1 was a 2 star book with a 4 star finish that made me go for book 2... Shouldn't have. All over the place!
Mark
wonderful conclusion to the out of this world adventure
Winterking
Winterking marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Travis Clark
Travis Clark marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Laesar
Laesar marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Stephen Coatsworth
Stephen Coatsworth marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Susannah
Susannah marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Ivan Forster
Ivan Forster marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Garrett Moynihan
Garrett Moynihan marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Julian Budden
Julian Budden marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Sherlock: The Casebook The Breath of God (Sherlock Holmes) The House That Jack Built (Torchwood, #12) The World House (The World House #1) The Army of Dr. Moreau