Start by marking “My Father the Dog” as Want to Read:
My Father the Dog

My Father the Dog

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Dad lovers and dog lovers will both delight in this buoyantly illustrated, tongue-in-cheek tribute to the traits these two species share - and why we adore them.

Dad pretends to be human, but the kids know otherwise. Between first-thing-in-the morning scratching, fetching the paper, snacking, lying around for hours, and even the occasional pit stop behind a tree, the eviden
Published April 11th 2006 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about My Father the Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Father the Dog

Tim Johnson
A little girl recounts the visual evidence that her father really belongs to the canis familiaris family, thus adding fuel to the age-old feminine rumor that all men are dogs. . .

This was a decent read aloud book in that it kept the kids engaged, led to an uncomfortable question regarding what it means to use a tree for a "pit stop," and that they enjoyed the experience overall. It didn't get as many yucks as I'd hoped but is far better than many other potential choices.
Ms Threlkeld
Some of the illustrations made me titter and a couple pieces of the narrator's evidence for proving her dad is really a dog made me guffaw. Kids will love the silliness of this story, especially if they have a dog of their own. Could be used to teach about comparing and contrasting, as well as using evidence to support one's thinking.
Alice
Is your dad a dog. Does he scratch himself, chase balls, gets the paper, then chances are ... he might be a dog....which is good because "Mom says we can keep him"

A funny book about the parallels of a dad and a dog. Cute pictures...good for a giggle!
Robin
Jun 09, 2014 Robin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: gag
A girl compares her father's behavior to that of the family dog. In most ways, the dad and the dog are very much alike. Fun with a little mild pee and fart humor that kids will enjoy.
Alisha Slone
This book is about a girl that thinks her father is a dog. He observes him scratching himself, fetching the newspaper, and roughhousing. She even says he likes the windows in the car rolled down and a breeze on his face. He uses the bathroom outside and can lie around for hours. The girl says her father growls when he gets startled from a nap. The book goes on and on about the reasons the girl thinks her father is a dog. But at the end, her mom says they can keep him anyways. This is just a funn ...more
Sandi Roe
The kids & moms in my story time loved this book! It is a funny comparison between dad and the family dogs. They are both much loved & loyal!
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
You know how they say that pets take after their people?
Well, in this one a little girl compares how her father acts to how the dog acts, and concludes that her father is really a dog. The illustrations make this story by showing how the father's actions parallel the dog's. Very cute! Now the author needs to write "My Mother the Cat!"
Carol Royce Owen
My Father the Dog is a humorous look at how dear old dad can be so like a dog. Children will laugh aloud at the comparisons made between the two. "When he toots, he looks around the room like someone else did it. He is good at looking innocent when he knows he's done something wrong." A delightful first book from this Vermont author.
Raven Grider
This book is too cute! It's very entertaining and the illustrations are very engaging. I would use this book to incorporate pets, family, and funny stories. This could be used as a lead-in to a writing activity about comparison (family member to a pet/animal). Great story!
Rebecca Mullins
This book is so funny. The child compares his father to their pet dog. They do all of the same things, like make messes, scratch them selves, and pass gas. This is a great book for young children to read and to learn to compare and contrast. I would do this with 1-2 grade.
Ron
This book was on our Washington Children's Choice list a few years back. Because of selections like these, I stopped using that program at my school.

I find it cheap humor. Kids like laughing about farts and peeing in the yard - doesn't make it a good story.
Marcia
Sep 07, 2009 Marcia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog lovers
A very cute story of a girl convinced her father is a dog. She provides similarities ( he fetches the morning paper...) and the illustrations show man and dog side by side. A warm, fuzzy story of family that would be a fun read-aloud for Prk-K.
Just2fabulous Book
A loving and hilarious tribute to dad's and all the wonderful qualities they share with dogs, love, affection, loyalty. Great read aloud for early elementary and younger children. A Wanda Gag Book Award.
Edna
You don't have to be dog lover, but if you're a kid or a wife, you'll laugh at loud at the similarities between this dad or husband and the family dog in this very funny book.
Gabrielle
I plan to read this at my next storytime. I'm not sure that thesamller kds will get the humour but the parents will.
I'm really excited to read it to division 1.
Kendra
The narrator is convinced her dad is secretly a dog and puts forth the evidence to prove it. My Father the Dog holds a good bit of humor for both parent and child.
Kathi
Jun 21, 2008 Kathi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who ever had a dad or a dog
Picture books don't get any better than this. I love the tongue-in-cheek humor. Every dad should have a copy of this . . . and every kid too.

Benjamin
Pretty funny. Cheeky humor that kids will get but grown-ups will giggle about knowingly. Warning: not for the shy of fart.
Cara
Very cute and funny. A dad is compared to the family dog and the comparisons are pretty funny and true. Maybe my dad is a dog?
Michele
Your kids may not find this as funny as you do... but they will one day. May raise some interesting questions :)
Kelley
Read this book with Sam, it was very cute for dog lovers, and for kids who have dad's as dog lovers
babyhippoface
Immediately made me think of my husband. Apparently, he acts just like a dog....
Elizabeth
Mar 19, 2008 Elizabeth rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Pretty much everyone and his/her dog
Okay, how sad would it be if I didn't give my own book 5 stars? I had to do it!
Rachel
The similarities this book lists between the father and the dog is funny.
Corey
This is a good father / son book... I read it to my son numerous times...
Liza Gilbert
A very cute picture book for storytimes or family reading.
JoEllen Mccarthy
hilarious and great for sentence stalking-FANBOYS!
Lynn
The kids at my preschool love this book!
It's a favorite.
  • Me and My Dragon
  • I Dare You Not to Yawn
  • Wanted: The Perfect Pet
  • Russell's Christmas Magic
  • Wolf's Coming! (Carolrhoda Picture Books)
  • The Dog Who Cried Wolf
  • Fuddles
  • My Rhinoceros
  • The Super Hungry Dinosaur
  • Punk Farm
Elizabeth Bluemle was born in Arizona and has since lived in Los Angeles, Berkeley, San Francisco, Oakland, and New York City. She has been an assistant to a television writer/producer, editor of a small press, creative director for a book packaging company, production manager for a literacy press, a volunteer literacy tutor, an elementary school teacher, and a school librarian. She has a master's ...more
More about Elizabeth Bluemle...
Tap Tap Boom Boom How Do You Wokka-Wokka? Dogs on the Bed