Soul of a Citizen: Living With Conviction in a Cynical Time

Soul of a Citizen: Living With Conviction in a Cynical Time

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  317 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Soul of a Citizen awakens within us the desire and the ability to make our voices heard and our actions count. We can lead lives worthy of our convictions.

A book of inspiration and integrity, Soul of a Citizen is an antidote to the twin scourges of modern life-powerlessness and cynicism. In his evocative style. Paul Loeb tells moving tells moving stories of ordinary Americ...more
Published March 15th 1999 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Soul of a Citizen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul of a Citizen

Christa
"the best way to promote compassion and solidarity is not by appealing to some general notion of goodness, but by encouraging people to respond to specific human lives."

"The further we get into our causes, the more likely we are to believe that everyone shares our knowledge and assumptions, and that can be dangerous too. Often we armor ourselves with language, talking of hegemony and patriarchy, imperialism, and oppression, as if everyone assigns the same meaning to these words that we do, and a...more
Simone
Jun 08, 2010 Simone rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Simone by: Katherine
An inspiring book for people who are dissatisfied with the way things are in the world today but feel overwhelmed at the thought of doing anything. Loeb uses a lot of stories of ordinary, unheard-of citizens who have been instrumental in bringing about huge change, as well as not generally known information about the difficulties faced by people we're more familiar with, such as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Rosa Parks, Gandhi and others. He makes the point that change doesn't come about all at o...more
Jane S
I found the book's message very heartening and even especially so now given the plethora of public issues that challenge our common social fabric and wider polity. Roeb’s book recounted how activists and various grassroots took on a variety of issues, how challenges were interpreted and faced, strategies and tactics used to gain wider attention, and the means used to sustain momentum. In all of these accounts, Roeb hailed the morality and independent spirit of individual and private citizens who...more
Tom Mueller
TrueMajority.org states "If you've ever wondered "is my activism actually accomplishing anything?" this is the book for you. When you feel like you're only shouting into the wind, when you're tempted to listen to friends who say nothing will ever change, Paul Rogat Loeb has the antidote."

Environmental writer and activist Bill McKibben said, "Soul of a Citizen has been a powerful inspiration to citizens acting for environmental sanity, showing how they can take committed stands, even if they don'...more
Wendy
I heard Paul Loeb speak at the UUA General Assembly this summer, and was very inspired by his talk. Later in the week, while browsing in the bookstore area, I was practically accosted by the guy. He was signing copies of this and another book and told me that he'd heard from other ministers that they both are great resources for sermons. He signed one of each, so I really had to buy them, right? And I have to agree, this book is filled with good and inspiring stories of individuals who have gott...more
Carol Kuniholm
I've been spending time with this book for the past few months, trying to think through my responsibility as a citizen in a time when democracy feels a bit untethered. Loeb does a good job of examining reasons for disillusionment, and challenges his readers to rethink their investment in democracy. He has some great stories about people who have made a significant impact in human rights, environmental activism, care for the poor. He reminds us that change happens slowly, that no one can accompli...more
Melinda
I read this, wanting to know how others are getting involved in their communities. It tells that, with some of the challenges they have faced and how they handled their challenges. I don't agree with some of the causes espoused, and some that I agree are issues to address, I would have addressed differently. I don't like the get-government-to-regulate-this mentality that is reflected in some of the examples, but it isn't in all the examples, and it is not the focus of the book. The focus is that...more
Ednatee
Being a good citizen will always be risky. Are you a staunch upholder of the Constitution? Every American knows without the Constitution's guarantees,our democratic way of life is called into question. Civil rights and liberties may suffer greatly during times of political upheaval and our Constitution guaranteed our country would remain a democratic union.

You may hug trees, advocate for migrant workers or legislate for the unborn. Whatever your calling to believe, it comes from the heart and s...more
Jenna
feel like i should give this book more than three stars. it had a lot of wonderful ideas and anecdotes, but ultimately it felt recycled and a little repetitive. i understand the loeb was grounding the structure of the book around the stories of 4-5 individuals, but reading about virginia ramirez and angie desoto and the maine fisherman and the evangelical guy and the former gangster turned community organizer...got stretched thin.

still, a good read (if a bit overlong for the content), lots of e...more
Nicole McCann
motivation to the max! this book covers pieces of the puzzle of participating in a social movement, from coping with burnout to cynicism. i wish everyone could read this book that ever said, "my vote doesn't count," or "nothing my one little individual self can do is going to make a difference." the author has worked in promoting positive social change his whole life and has a wealth of stories from his own life as well as ordinary citizens from around the country. powerful book!
Aspen Junge
Inspiring. Loeb draws on the experience of generations of activists to help the reader understand how to get involved in a cause, get support from others, reach outside the box for allies and inspiration, determine your optimal level of activity, stay focussed and enthusiastic, cope with burnout, and reap the rewards of belonging to a community of activists. A must-read for anyone who wants to change the world.
Stacy
Loeb's book is a warning against the dangers of cynicism and smugness during hard times. It makes me think that there's reason to continue to work for good and small incremental change. He teaches us that Ghandi and Rosa Parks weren't born who they became. And, they had people behind them, they didn't act alone.

Shawn Snow
This was a semi inspiring book about how to become a better teacher through being a better citizen. This book also touched on certain topics that should be taught by teachers in order to mold students into becoming citizens that question the information presented to them, not just accept that information at face value.
Tammy
I found this book inspiring - it's a great read for anybody who wants to make a difference but is overwhelmed by the tasks at hand and struggles with what one person can really do.

I'd dog-earred so many sections that I wanted to go back and record during its reading, that the book is twice as big as when I started!
Kimberly Fehler
I found Loeb's message heartening. It is nice to read that no major social change agent was born with "it," but had to practice and develop the muscle. About mid-way through the book, it becomes repetitive and at times over glorified "doing civil disobedience" a little to much for my taste. Interesting read.
Mariola
Author-spokes person -spiritually based citizen who honors activism.Addresses professional burnout,embraces humanity ethics dilemmas at its core.I am growing at his site.
"Burnout only really begins to heal when people learn how to grieve.
-Rachel Naomi Remen(from the book -page 243
Stacy
A book that helped me identify what I wanted to do with my life. Ultimately had me applying for the Peace Corps, which I'm thankful I didn't wind up doing. It acts as an excellent reminder, however, of how we can impact those surrounding us from one day to the next.
Susan
Jun 19, 2007 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
This book does a great job illustrating how anyone can make a difference socially and politically, and why it is important to get involved. It's rather inspiring. Unfortunately, it's longer than it needs to be. It hammers the same points home repeatedly.
Lana
I discovered this book in a used book store somewhere. I've found some of my favorite books that way!

In this book, I found many powerful words of encouragement and challenge for those of us who feel compelled to serve God in the world.
Skye
This may have been the first book I read in college. It was assigned for a course called "Literature and the Social Experience: Gender, Race, and Class." At the time I didn't know books like this existed. Good book for stirring social consciousness.
Heather
I really liked this book. It actually left me feeling like a single person with a single voice really can be heard. And if they just believe enough and are willing to sacrifice if needed that they can create change for the better.
Claire
Ended up skimming it. Already convinced that change requires slow steps, prior organization, but that individual acts further it, there was nothing new in the book for me. People who question these positions would benefit from reading it.
This book is baggy, but ultimately inspiring. Loeb talks about the power of the individual. It inspired me, and my students, to get involved in our communities.
Jess
Paul Loeb is always a good serving of chicken soup for the progressive soul - warm, encouraging, good values. just right for yesterday's long plane trip.
Belinda Lum
currently reading.

So far I find this book compelling and interesting. It asks all of us to think about what activism means to each of us.
A great book for inspiration, gratitude, and motivation. I'll pick this one up often in the future to reread tidbits of it at a time.
Aislinn
I really enjoyed this book. The ending got a bit tedious and preachy... But overall it made me re-evaluate my role my in community!
Becky Jo Gesteland
I like the intentions, I like the stories, but I got overwhelmed by feelings on inadequacy at times. The last 1/2 was better for me.
Marsha
Offers a new and empowering vision for engaging in social issues. Includes numerous insightful examples and important reminders.
Angel
Excellent Book!!! I strongly recommend it for anyone into community organizations, leadership, or policy issues!
  • Power and Powerlessness: Quiescence and Rebellion in an Appalachian Valley
  • Delaying the Real World
  • French or Foe?: Getting the Most Out of Visiting, Living and Working in France
  • Green Gone Wrong: How Our Economy Is Undermining the Environmental Revolution
  • Where Do We Go from Here:  Chaos or Community?
  • The Great Awakening: Reviving Faith and Politics in a Post-Religious Right America
  • Holding the Line: Women in the Great Arizona Mine Strike of 1983
  • Change of Heart: What Psychology Can Teach Us about Spreading Social Change
  • Democracy at Work: A Cure for Capitalism
  • Money-Driven Medicine: The Real Reason Health Care Costs So Much
  • The Collapse of American Criminal Justice
  • So Damn Much Money: The Triumph of Lobbying and the Corrosion of American Government
  • Intern Nation: How to Earn Nothing and Learn Little in the Brave New Economy
Paul Rogat Loeb is an American social and political activist, who has strongly fought for issues including social justice, humanitarianism, environmentalism, and civic involvement in American democracy. Loeb is a frequent public speaker and has written five books and numerous newspaper editorials.
More about Paul Rogat Loeb...
The Impossible Will Take a Little While: Perseverance and Hope in Troubled Times Soul of a Citizen: Living with Conviction in Challenging Times Generation at the Crossroads: Apathy and Action on the American Campus Hope in Hard Times Nuclear Culture: Living and Working in the World's Largest Atomic Complex