Start by marking “Evil Eclairs: A Donut Shop Mystery” as Want to Read:
Evil Eclairs: A Donut Shop Mystery

Evil Eclairs: A Donut Shop Mystery (Donut Shop Mystery #4)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  948 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Donut shop owner Suzanne Hart admits her sweet treats don't exactly qualify as health food. But does she really deserve to be labeled a "killer" by local radio jockey Lester Moorefield? The annoying host is urging citizens to boycott Suzanne's "deadly dough" factory--until he's found dead himself, stuffed with one of Suzanne's éclairs…

Everyone in April Springs knows about
Published April 26th 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published August 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Evil Eclairs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evil Eclairs

Jeannie and Louis Rigod
A nasty radio personality does a editorial opinion piece on our favorite donut maker, Suzanne's "Donut Hearts" in April Springs, that leaves, us, the readers, incensed. You can imagine Susanne's feelings as a call for boycotts are issued.

As Suzanne reminds us "donuts don't kill people, people kill people," but April Springs isn't quite so sure about that when the nasty man turns up dead with an eclair at the scene!

I really like this series. I enjoy the gentle, laid-back, feel of the Southern liv
I liked this book. I love eclairs so the title page got me salivating. This book is the usual premise. A lady owns a doughnut shop, someone is murdered. Small town life, which I find endearing, and like most southern women she has a strong minded momma, who is forever watching her daughter's back. Someone on the goodreads posted they were reading this book, and since Diane Mott Davidson latest book hasn't been requested by me from the library yet, I wanted to read something along those lines.
Luffy Monkey D.
I was flummoxed for once concerning my rating of Evil Eclairs. I've always prioritized a strong finish, and I loved knowing the identity of the murder, and maybe so will you. The issue with this book is that for one fifth of it's duration little, if anything, happens.

There was no real purpose to the investigation and there were too many interludes during the said inquiry. The previous book was action packed. But this one holds its own. Slowly, events did accumulate, giving us an illusion of o
Title: Evil Eclairs

Author: Jessica Beck

Series: Donut Shop Mystery #4

Synopsis (from

Donut shop owner Suzanne Hart admits her sweet treats don’t exactly qualify as health food. But does she really deserve to be labeled a “killer” by local radio jockey Lester Moorefield? The annoying host is urging citizens to boycott Suzanne’s “deadly dough” factory—until he’s found dead himself, stuffed with one of Suzanne’s éclairs…

Everyone in April Springs knows about the feud between Lester and Suzanne
Evil Eclairs is the fourth in the Donut Shop Mystery series that I am thoroughly enjoying despite myself. I am one of the terrible people donut shop owner Suzanne Hart would not want to deal with in that I really don’t like donuts. It says a lot about the quality of the series that I can enjoy it even with a theme that does not appeal to me at all. The characters of Suzanne, Grace and George are fun to read about and make a great crime solving team. The addition of George as a sidekick is one of ...more
Another great book by Jessica Beck... Just realized all the other books in the series that I've yet to read and will need to hunt down. Excellent series for those who love a good light murder mystery!
Cute light reading, took me a night to read. I liked this series. It's just like the fact that this series is like joanne flukes series, just with donuts and yummy recipes.
Brenda Kirton
I can't decide about this series. They're not bad but they are like a reworking of the Hannah Swenson series by Joanne Fluke. And the characters are almost formulatic.
Suzanne Hart runs donut hearts. When their local radio station runs an editorial about her serving donuts and that they were poison, she berates Lester the host for saying those accusations on the radio. Unfortunately, he ends up dead. She starts investigating when Jake her boyfriend is assigned the case. She has plenty of suspects and her friends Grace and George help her investigate. She is also dealing with her mother who may start to date but unfortunately it might be the chief of police (no ...more
Evil Éclairs by Jessica Back was an easy reading cozy for me. Right type I love to read when I am not feeling good. I love doughnuts but have diabetes so I haven’t eaten one in years. I think if I can’t eat them at least I can still read about them. The main character, Suzanne Hart has a donut shop so there are doughnut recipes sprinkled throughout the book.

This is the first of the cozies that I have ever read that I figured out the killer at the beginning of the book! One clue really stood out
The 4th book in the Donut Shop mystery series has Suzanne going up against her nemesis on the radio, Lester Moorefield, who once again is denouncing her sweet treats as deadly on his show and tells his audience to boycott her shop. Unable to control herself, Suzanne heads down to the radio station and gives him a piece of her mind when she catches him outside. When he later shows up dead with one of Suzanne's eclairs stuffed down his throat, Suzanne becomes a suspect. In order to help clear her ...more
Returning to Donut Hearts where Suzanne cannot seem to live a quite simple life as a donut shop owner in a small town; where everyone knows each others business (whether they like it or not). A few months since the incidents of Sinister Sprinkles Suzanne is up and running again and right in the middle of a fight with the town radio host who seems to have a bone to pick with our hero. Saying that her donuts are death treats, the icing is the metaphorical glue that seals their coffins because of t ...more
Evil Eclairs is a Mystery/Suspense novel. It is a little different from others in the genre because it tends to revolve around the donuts and the donut shop. The Donut Shop Mystery Series and Evil Eclairs focus' on Suzanne Hart, Jake Bishop and the murder of Lester Moorefield. Suzanne is owner of Donut Hearts. Jake Bishop is her boyfriend and also an investigator with the State Police. Whenever Suzanne is pulled into a murder and starts investigating it on her own she enlists the help of George ...more
Jessica Beck writes a nice mystery & shares some yummy recipes. The characters are a lot of fun. The recipes give me something useful that I'll remember this story every time I use them in the kitchen.

The book was a good read & I would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys a light hearted mystery. The ending on this one surprised me which can be a little hard to do.

Two thumbs up. I will be looking for more of the books from this series to read!
Dorothy Timm
This was just an OK book, not funny at all, and I prefer funny cozies. But the solving of the mystery didn't involve needing to know a piece of the puzzle that wasn't uncovered until late. For that reason, I'd read another book by this author, but since it did't entertain me, I wouldn't care if I didn't read anything by her again.
There's something about being able to sit down and read an entire book in about 6 hours that is just so caliming.

This is the fourth donut shop book in the series, and I liked it, but it got bogged down a bit by too much exposition. Not that it ruined the experience, far from it in fact, but there were times when the Suzanne went into odd introspective dialogues and it left me wondering why she was telling me about what she was thinking.

But, definitely a gold donut shop mystery. I love the cozy v
I was disappointed that not only was there no "eclair" recipe in the book, but also no yeast donut recipe of any kind. The plot in this book wasn't as good as some of the ones later in the series and Suzanne didn't gather much information at all. I gave it 3 stars because it was still well-written with realistic characters and a decent plot.
Elise Dubois
Read it in a day! Moved along, held my interest. Didn't see the solution until the book presented it, but it happens.
Debra McEathron
I like this series. It is quirky and upbeat, although Suzanne gets in trouble eveytime. I am going to try some of the recipes they seem easy to make.
I figured it out from the clues this time. I hope one of the other suspects loses his race soon.
Ann Boytim
Always like reading about the donut shop mysteries - good recipes for donuts even though I do not eat them.
I don't usually food based mysteries. They make me way too hungry while I'm reading. But the cover got my attention in the library, so I picked it up.
It was a good story about a sleuthing doughnut shop owner. Someone tried to frame her for murder by shoving an eclair down the throat of a murder victim.
It's apparently one of a series, and despite not coming in at the beginning, I had little trouble following relationships or the story line. That was a bonus.
I wasn't crazy enough about it to rush
Nancy H
This book is #4 in the Donut Shop Mystery series, and in it, Suzanne rapidly becomes a murder suspect when Lester, an acid-tongued radio commentator, trashes her donut shop and announces to the world that she is selling poison. When he is killed with an eclair stuffed in his mouth shortly after her confrontation with him in the radio station parking lot, she is the major suspect because it was an eclair from her shop. Suzanne gets help from her friends Grace and George, and her state police insp ...more
Betty Gray
I am working my way through this series and really enjoying them.
The best thing about this story is the inclusion of donut recipes.

Suzanne Hart does it again.
This divine doughnut maker has landed herself and her assorted batch of family and friends in yet another murder investigation...
Will they be able to survive this one? There are more suspects than ever when the local trouble maker/disk jockey turns up dead after a heated argument with Suzanne, and unfortunately one of her confections has been found at the crime scene. What is a girl to do?
Who can you trust when the suspect pool is larger than the town of April Springs
Local radio personality Lester Moorefield attacks the local donut store, Donut Hearts, for fostering obesity. Suzanne, owner of the shop, complains to Lester, which puts her in the spotlight when he's found dead, with an eclair jammed down his throat. The police seem inclined to accept Suzanne's alibi, but she's afraid that local customers will continue to suspect her unless she and her friends find the real culprit.
I swear I crave donuts so bad every time I read these books! I have no desire to make donuts so I could care less about the recipes but I love the story. Each book not only has a stand alone mystery but the characters are also changing, growing, treading a story arc that should be good as well. These are light, non-gory, human-nature type mysteries with likeable characters in a quaint small town. Well done!
The 4th book in the series is Another good read from Jessica Beck. Light and fast with characters you can't help but like. I always knew that Jessica Beck was a pen name, but just recently I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it's the pen name for Tim Myers. No wonder I like this series - I have read all of Tim Myers books.
I love this North Carolina town, though if I think I would steer clear of the donut shop. Murder seems to find our dear Donut Hearts owner. Really, the books are good and quick reads that are thoroughly entertaining. Not a book yet that hasn't had a good mystery with wonderful likeable characters. well done, yet again!
  • Death by the Dozen (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #3)
  • Pepperoni Pizza Can Be Murder (Pizza Lovers, #2)
  • A Parfait Murder (A Mystery a La Mode, #3)
  • Crops and Robbers (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #3)
  • Hail to the Chef (A White House Chef Mystery, #2)
  • The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up (A Chocoholic Mystery, #3)
  • Cake on a Hot Tin Roof (A Piece of Cake Mystery #2)
  • Sucker Punch (A Candy Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Rotten to the Core (Orchard, #2)
Jessica Beck is a pseudonym used by
Tim Myers.
Jessica Beck is the penname of an author who has been nominated for the Agatha Award and named an Independent Mystery Booksellers Association national bestseller nearly a dozen times.

Jessica Beck loves donuts, and has the figure to prove it. It's amazing what people can convince themselves is all in the name of research! For each recipe featured in the
More about Jessica Beck...

Donut Shop Mystery (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Glazed Murder (Donut Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Fatally Frosted (Donut Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Tragic Toppings (Donut Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Killer Crullers (Donut Shop Mystery, #6)
  • Drop Dead Chocolate (Donut Shop Mystery, #7)
  • Powdered Peril (Donut Shop Mystery, #8)
  • Illegally Iced (Donut Shop Mystery, #9)
  • Deadly Donuts (Donut Shop Mystery, #10)
  • Assault and Batter (Donut Shop Mystery, #11)
Glazed Murder (Donut Shop Mystery, #1) Fatally Frosted (Donut Shop Mystery, #2) Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery, #3) Tragic Toppings (Donut Shop Mystery, #5) Killer Crullers (Donut Shop Mystery, #6)