Start by marking “Afterburn (Bio Rescue, #2)” as Want to Read:
Afterburn (Bio Rescue, #2)

Afterburn (Bio Rescue #2)

After driving their mutual enemy out of the Pmoc quadrant, the Allied League of Worlds gather for a peace summit on K-2, the homeworld of the underwater-dwelling 'Zangians. With the Bio Rescue team assigned to protect the delegates, Sub-Lieutenant Burn mu Znora's attention is placed on the daughter of one of the ambassadors, who is hiding a deadly secret-a secret that may ...more
Published August 2nd 2005 by Roc Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about Afterburn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Afterburn

J.M.
Jun 24, 2009 J.M. rated it liked it
I won this from the author’s blog and since I haven’t read a good sci-fi story in a while (and had never read anything else by the author), I figured I’d give it a shot. Of course, only after I started reading it, did I realize it was book 2 in a series, but the author does a great job of setting up the world just enough to clue in new readers like me without going overboard for those who have been there before.

The one thing that struck me in reading this book was the sheer number of POV charact
Paul
Aug 08, 2007 Paul rated it really liked it
Part of a series, this novel is about the planet Kevarzangia Two, and its water-breathing inhabitants.

The Hsktskt slavers have been pushed out of the quadrant, so the four sentient races, who call themselves the Allied League of Worlds, meet on K-2 for a peace conference. The participants, two air-breathing races and two water-breathing races, don’t particularly like each other. When an ambassador’s shuttle is attacked prior to the conference, Sublieutenant Burn mu Znora stops the attack and res
Carolyn F.
Aug 25, 2014 Carolyn F. rated it really liked it
These covers always throw me off and make me think that I'll enjoy the book less than I actually end up liking it. Case in point, this book. I stayed up way too late finishing it. In the beginning of the book I thought I had figured out who were going to end up couples, I was only right once. I love the diversity of the aliens in her series. I'm planning on reading more of her books even under her other nom de plumes.
Mistybell
Sep 09, 2008 Mistybell rated it liked it
This story continues the saga of the aquatic 'Zangians of the planet Kevarzangian II or K2. The main character is the cousin of the main character of Bio Rescue. Byorn, commonly called Burn is trying to become a space fighter pilot. He is already the best gunner in the pilot's pod, but he wants more. However, the Peace Summit about to begin might make being a pilot a bad thing to be. His cousin, Dair, who fears for him becoming a pilot, tries to keep him from it. However, he becomes embroiled in ...more
Cathy
A little scattered with the multiple points of view and newly introduced characters. But overall good storytelling, interesting alien species conceptualization, and fun characters. The best part for Stardoc fans is the payoff in the relationship between some characters introduced in book 1 of that series. And in this book the obsessive, obnoxious pursuers were actually the bad guys and not the purported heroes, which official makes it my favorite of the books I've read by the author.
Heather
Feb 24, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I liked this one better than Bio Rescue. It is fun, with lots of aliens. I like Liana as a main character but you're not sure what she will do. Good SF, adventure, romance.
Jensownzoo
Nov 08, 2008 Jensownzoo rated it really liked it
This sequel follows and fleshes out one of the other characters introduced in the original novel, BioRescue. Also digs deeper in the the political and sociological ramification of body modification. A worthy second installment--I sure hope there are more!
Lesli
Jul 14, 2010 Lesli rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2005
Heavily charactered (is that a phrase?) space opera set in the Star Doc universe (but not part of the series. Viehl has a way with introducing inter-species interpersonal relationships...and all the complexity that implies.
Wendy
May 29, 2011 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Great sequel to Viehl's Bio Rescue. I love this author. I enjoyed reading Burns story and wrapping up some of the events from the first book. Totally enjoyed it and looking forward to reading more by Viehl soon!
Tomasz
Mar 19, 2008 Tomasz rated it it was ok
An interesting dive into the world of the 'Zangian mind. The story came to close a little more abruptly than I had expected but none the less it was a jolly old jaunt across space and time.
Sandyh
Jan 08, 2012 Sandyh rated it really liked it
Need another book to finish the trilogy; however it is sort of finished in the Stardoc series. In the Stardoc world but not directly part of the series.
Lindig
Jun 13, 2009 Lindig rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
Pretty good writer, interesting cultures, etc etc, but found I didn't care about the people.
Erotic Horizon
Afterburn: Bio Rescue #2 (Bio Rescue) by S.L. Viehl (2006)
Jon
Sep 26, 2007 Jon added it
Recommends it for: all sci-fic. fans
8.5 out of 10 fresh story idea; great characters
Karen Desmond
Nov 02, 2011 Karen Desmond rated it really liked it
Sarah Raab
Sarah Raab marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Colleen Crottie
Colleen Crottie marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Aqua
Aqua added it
Aug 28, 2016
Donna W
Donna W rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Dave
Dave added it
Jul 05, 2016
Dee
Dee rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Kady
Kady marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Beckie
Beckie rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Decembrerose
Decembrerose marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Khrista
Khrista rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
  • Endgame (Jani Kilian Chronicles, #5)
  • Migration (Species Imperative, #2)
  • Resolute (Kris Longknife, #4)
  • Vigilante (Major Ariane Kedros, #2)
  • The Wilding (In Conquest Born, #2)
  • Alien Taste (Ukiah Oregon, #1)
  • The Final Key (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #11; The Triad, #2)
  • Games of Command
  • The Stars Blue Yonder (The Outback Stars #3)
  • Heart of Gold
  • Nautilus

Bio Rescue (2 books)
  • Bio Rescue (Bio Rescue, #1)