Start by marking “Here Was a Man” as Want to Read:
Here Was a Man

Here Was a Man

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  104 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Based on the life of Sir Walter Raleigh.
Hardcover, Large Print, 444 pages
Published April 1st 1974 by Ulverscroft (first published 1936)

To ask other readers questions about Here Was a Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here Was a Man

booklady
Interesting historical novel about Sir Walter Raleigh. Easy to read, but a little disjointed—each chapter was a major event in Raleigh’s adult life; readers were left to fill in (with imagination) what happened during the intervening time lapse. If Wikipedia is to be trusted, the author, Norah Lofts, kept true to the major facts about his life. She also seems to have done a good job presenting his character and the other major characters (Queen Elizabeth I, Essex, Shakespeare, and Sydney Phillip ...more
Sverre
This novel about Sir Walter Raleigh is presented in thirty-one chapters, from 1568, at his age fourteen, to his death by execution in 1618. Each chapter highlights an event or series of events in his adventurous, heroic and tragic life. Norah Lofts was a prolific successful novelist and I have enjoyed many of her books but the format of this book leaves the reader in search of many answers. It is perhaps too abbreviated, lacking in historical background or political and religious perspectives. M ...more
Tammy
Feb 19, 2016 Tammy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2-stars
2 1/2 stars
The first part of this book I felt like it was lacking something and almost put it aside. The second part I started enjoying but question some accuracies. The third part hmm. Maybe I will like it better another time.
Labels: #Historicalfiction,#TudorEngland,#SirWalterRaleigh
Nancy
I'm not sure what to say about this book. It was an enjoyable read; the book fulfills its promise as historical fiction. It is a series of stories about Sir Walter Raleigh. Since I have been watched the movie "Elizabeth" and am watching the "Tudors", the stories in the book add depth to the tapestry that is England during this time. It was subtle, which I enjoyed. But not a lot of motion and action.

I guess in the end I give it a standard 3 stars. If you like historical fiction I dare say you wo
Elizabeth Scheller Williams
Another book that I read forever ago but it still holds up.
Helen Azar
Well written, but some strange historical revisionism going on... For no reason at all... I was a little confused when the author had Lettice Knollys marry Robert Essex, who was her own son (in fact, not in the book)! And somehow Cecil outlived Elizabeth to plot Raleigh's downfall... Other than that it was a good book.
Kay Robart
Jul 24, 2013 Kay Robart rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sir Walter Raleigh's life is told in a series of disconnected vignettes. Depth of character is lacking, and Lofts fails to make Raleigh's life seem at all exciting.

See my complete review here:

April Stanley
The back of the book thankfully misadvertises this as a romance novel. It focuses on Raleigh's life and ambitions. I knew very little of him before and now am pleased this book introduced me to the interesting character that he was.
Bonnie Kerr
I thought it a bit boring although I learned alot about Sir Walter Raleigh which is good as I didn't remember much about him that I might have learned in school.
Margaret
Brings the life and times of Raleigh to life! Beautifully written by one of my favourite authors !
Carol
Aug 15, 2009 Carol rated it liked it
fits with a previous reading jag...Queen Elizabeth and her courtiers

fanciful view of the period
Christine
Historical Fiction
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Lauren Echeverria
Lauren Echeverria is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2016
Brianna Belland
Brianna Belland marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Alyssa Winchester
Alyssa Winchester marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Cheyenne
Cheyenne marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jj
Jj marked it as to-read
Amy Laughton
Amy Laughton marked it as to-read
Anna Lee
Anna Lee marked it as to-read
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Newtommy
Newtommy marked it as to-read
JMH
JMH rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Mia Povey
Mia Povey marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Helena
Helena marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Angela C.
Angela C. marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Kindle Edition 1 8 Aug 05, 2009 02:46PM
  • Gay Lord Robert (Tudor Saga, #11)
  • House of Treason: The Rise and Fall of a Tudor Dynasty
  • Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain (Elizabeth Trilogy, #3)
  • The Wild Irish
  • The Lady and the Poet
  • The Lady Penelope: The Lost Tale of Love and Politics in the Court of Elizabeth I
  • Death And The Virgin: Elizabeth, Dudley and the Mysterious Fate of Amy Robsart
  • A Question of Guilt: A Novel of Mary, Queen of Scots, and the Death of Henry Darnley
  • His Last Letter: Elizabeth I and the Earl of Leicester
  • The Confession of Katherine Howard
195727
Also published using the pseudonyms Juliet Astley and Peter Curtis

Norah Lofts, née Norah Robinson, (27 August 1904–10 September 1983) was a 20th century best-selling British author. She wrote over fifty books specialising in historical fiction, but she also wrote non-fiction and short stories. Many of her novels, including her Suffolk Trilogy, follow the history of a specific house and the residen
More about Norah Lofts...