Start by marking “Here Was a Man” as Want to Read:
Here Was a Man

Here Was a Man

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Based on the life of Sir Walter Raleigh.
Hardcover, Large Print, 444 pages
Published April 1st 1974 by Ulverscroft (first published 1936)

To ask other readers questions about Here Was a Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here Was a Man

booklady
Interesting historical novel about Sir Walter Raleigh. Easy to read, but a little disjointed—each chapter was a major event in Raleigh’s adult life; readers were left to fill in (with imagination) what happened during the intervening time lapse. If Wikipedia is to be trusted, the author, Norah Lofts, kept true to the major facts about his life. She also seems to have done a good job presenting his character and the other major characters (Queen Elizabeth I, Essex, Shakespeare, and Sydney Phillip ...more
Sverre
This novel about Sir Walter Raleigh is presented in thirty-one chapters, from 1568, at his age fourteen, to his death by execution in 1618. Each chapter highlights an event or series of events in his adventurous, heroic and tragic life. Norah Lofts was a prolific successful novelist and I have enjoyed many of her books but the format of this book leaves the reader in search of many answers. It is perhaps too abbreviated, lacking in historical background or political and religious perspectives. M ...more
Nancy
I'm not sure what to say about this book. It was an enjoyable read; the book fulfills its promise as historical fiction. It is a series of stories about Sir Walter Raleigh. Since I have been watched the movie "Elizabeth" and am watching the "Tudors", the stories in the book add depth to the tapestry that is England during this time. It was subtle, which I enjoyed. But not a lot of motion and action.

I guess in the end I give it a standard 3 stars. If you like historical fiction I dare say you wo
Helen Azar
Well written, but some strange historical revisionism going on... For no reason at all... I was a little confused when the author had Lettice Knollys marry Robert Essex, who was her own son (in fact, not in the book)! And somehow Cecil outlived Elizabeth to plot Raleigh's downfall... Other than that it was a good book.
Kay Robart
Sir Walter Raleigh's life is told in a series of disconnected vignettes. Depth of character is lacking, and Lofts fails to make Raleigh's life seem at all exciting.

See my complete review here:

April Stanley
The back of the book thankfully misadvertises this as a romance novel. It focuses on Raleigh's life and ambitions. I knew very little of him before and now am pleased this book introduced me to the interesting character that he was.
Bonnie Kerr
I thought it a bit boring although I learned alot about Sir Walter Raleigh which is good as I didn't remember much about him that I might have learned in school.
Margaret
Brings the life and times of Raleigh to life! Beautifully written by one of my favourite authors !
Carol
fits with a previous reading jag...Queen Elizabeth and her courtiers

fanciful view of the period
Gretchen
Gretchen marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Elisa Ricketts
Elisa Ricketts marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Diese Diese
Diese Diese marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Elspeth
Elspeth marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Preston Carter
Preston Carter marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Librarianlass
Librarianlass marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Chantal
Chantal marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Jane Broadway
Jane Broadway marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Frances Littell
Frances Littell marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Small Review
Small Review marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Kindle Edition 1 8 Aug 05, 2009 02:46PM
  • Gay Lord Robert (Tudor Saga, #11)
  • The Lady And The Poet
  • The Wild Irish
  • Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain (Elizabeth Trilogy, #3)
  • The Lady Penelope: The Lost Tale of Love and Politics in the Court of Elizabeth I
  • Death And The Virgin: Elizabeth, Dudley and the Mysterious Fate of Amy Robsart
  • House Of Treason: The Rise And Fall Of A Tudor Dynasty
  • His Last Letter: Elizabeth I and the Earl of Leicester
  • Her Mother's Daughter: A Novel of Queen Mary Tudor
  • Legacy
195727
Also published using the pseudonyms Juliet Astley and Peter Curtis

Norah Lofts, née Norah Robinson, (27 August 1904–10 September 1983) was a 20th century best-selling British author. She wrote over fifty books specialising in historical fiction, but she also wrote non-fiction and short stories. Many of her novels, including her Suffolk Trilogy, follow the history of a specific house and the residen
More about Norah Lofts...
The Concubine Anne Boleyn The King's Pleasure Eleanor the Queen The Town House (House, #1)