Start by marking “The Notes: Ronald Reagan's Private Collection of Stories and Wisdom” as Want to Read:
The Notes: Ronald Reagan's Private Collection of Stories and Wisdom

The Notes: Ronald Reagan's Private Collection of Stories and Wisdom

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Collected by the Ronald Reagan Foundation, The Notes is a fascinating window into the mind of our fortieth president. While the #1 New York Times bestselling Reagan Diaries detailed daily life inside the Oval Office, The Notes encapsulates a lifetime of reflections on work, marriage, and family. Classic one-liners such as "Flattery is what makes husbands out of bachelors" ...more
Published May 10th 2011 by HarperCollins e-books

To ask other readers questions about The Notes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Notes

Hiknbean
Highlights and Points to Ponder about "The Notes:"
This was a good little book filled with quotes Ronald Reagan collected on 4x6 cards. A couple boxes of these notes were found at the Reagan Library. Some are on display at his Presidential Library. Most were hand written a well. Neat collection. Here are a couple of my favorites:
-Thomas Jefferson said: "I place the economy among the first and most important virtues and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared."
-Winston Churchill: "
Jerry
Lots of good stuff here on many topics, and much of it immediately relevant: "It is in the natural course of events tha liberty recedes and government grows." --Jefferson
Deborah Martinez
A book of quotes, notes, jokes, and nuggets of political wisdom that Reagan wrote down on 4X6 note cards and kept in his desk drawer in the Oval Office.

I really enjoyed the book, but it something you read just a few at a time, so I tended to read a few pages at night before bed, and then again when I woke up in the morning.

A few of the quotes I enjoyed include:

"Even moderation should not be practiced to excess."

"A gentle [man] always says & does the kindest think."

"That dumb blonde in the
Tom
A good collection of thoughts that Reagan had accumulated over his life. (A gift from my daughter – what is it about my kids that give such great gift ideas?). Reagan collected short statements / quotations throughout his life. This is a collection of those notes that was recently found.

There are a couple of problems with the book. One is that the editor included a short descriptive list of the people who were the source of the statements. But the list is incomplete! Why have a list that is inco
Marshall Lanning
Marshall Lanning
Period 1
3/8/13

Good Reads Review

I read the book The Notes by Ronald Reagan, its a very good book if your wondering. This book is not a story, its a book of quotes and sayings that different political icons of the world had on certain subjects of government. Certain subjects like: war, politics, economy, social world. Ronald reagan had kept a book of these notes in a private folder that he sometimes used on speeches, and someone came across the folder of notecards and had his colle
Susan
An interesting collection of RR's favorite quotes, humor, excerpts from his speeches and a good representation of his character and outlook on life.
Frank Kelly
To all those silly critics of Ronald Reagan - the ones who called him "an amimial dunce" among other silly names - this book won't make them happy. Over the years, Regan assembled an impressive collection of sayings, philosphical extracts, poems and speeches which he used to guide him through his years in public office. Historian Douglas Brinkley discovered the collection while researching through the Reagan Library and edited them into this fine book -- a book which I have already found useful ...more
Tim Chavel
Ronald Reagan is my favorite President. This book is a collection of President Reagan's collection of quotes that he kept to use in his speeches. There are many great quotes and vary greatly. He has quotes from over one twenty different people. I will leave you with two quotes:

Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "The hero is no braver than an ordinary man - but he is brave five minutes longer.

A Ronald Reagan joke:

Cop: "Said to myself when you came around the corner 45 at least." Woman: "Oh this dress alwa
Seth Woodley
Highly enjoyable and entertaining. This is a wonderful collection of thoughts and quotes.
Nicole
A great collection that inspired me to start a common book.
Sandy
A neat little peek into a collection of Ronald Reagan's notecards. The only reason I gave it 3 stars is because even though it was good, a lot of the quotes are from other people. I was hoping there would be more notes from Reagan, rather than quotes that he would jot down from other people..... Still a nice collection to get an idea of what Reagan's inspiration was. Also cool how it is seperated in different areas of topic. Notes on War, Notes on Religion, Humor, etc.
Bill Kulbicki
Reagan like most thoughtful people copied thoughts, quotes from books that he read. this edition is divided into sections reflecting the broad policy issues that reagan spoke to and dealt with. as a result, it reflects in broad terms those people whom he read and the insights that he gleamed from them as he developed his vision, his political beliefs. a wonderful insight into a truely great president.
Lauren
Not only does this give you a look into who President Reagan was but because the notes are word fro word what was on his note cards there is a lot of short hand and incomplete sentences. It is like a puzzle which requires thought and possible research to solve. LOVE this book!!!! I would recommend it to anyone who is involved in Public Speaking, loves history, or collects quotes.
Jim Lang
I have always been fascinated with Ronald Reagan. He's one of our nation's most interesting presidents. This book gives us insight into his habits and beliefs through his habit of jotting down thoughts and quotations, many of which ended up in his speeches and public comments over the years. An interesting read about one of our most compelling leaders.
Cathie
The "Great Communicator" kept a file, written in his own hand, of quotes,stories, jokes, etc. on many topics and from many diverse sources. He often had just the right illustration to make a point in a speech. It was engaging to read the quotes and then to consider why he found them fascinating enough to add to his collection.
Janet
I was expecting a biographical commentary on how Reagan viewed his life and those around him. What I got amounted to a collection of sound bites. I am in awe of how well-read and well-educated Reagan (or his speech writers) were. So many varied sources come into play with these little snippets.
John Yelverton
An amazing collection of notes from an amazing group of thinkers, writers, theologians and common people. However, none of them were actually written by Ronald Reagan, but it's a great insight into his personal philosophy.
Jake Danishevsky
Incredible book of letters, quotes, notes and insight into the mind of one of the most influential and one of the most amazing Presidents in our history. Great book to have.
Bill Powers
Excellent collection of Reagan stories and tales. You get a feel for the development of his political philosophies. As a political thinker, he was vastly under-rated.
Laura Freed
I loved this quick read. Anyone who loves quotes, loves history, will call this a favorite book. I'll be gifting it to everyone who fits that description.
Gene
Actually not all that interesting. Many quotes from many sources. Just a couple of gems. Very quickly read.
Josh Miller
Great book...loved some of the quotes. Also enjoyed just getting a "glimpse" into the mind of Ronald Reagan.
Angel
What a great collection! Highly recommended!
Beka
Lots of good and interesting quotes.
Mary
May 09, 2011 Mary marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Looks cool!
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Patrick Henry Hansen
Patrick Henry Hansen marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
  • Dutch : A Memoir of Ronald Reagan
  • Brothers, Rivals, Victors: Eisenhower, Patton, Bradley and the Partnership that Drove the Allied Conquest in Europe
  • Rawhide Down: The Near Assassination of Ronald Reagan
  • President Reagan: The Triumph of Imagination
  • The First Clash: The Miraculous Greek Victory at Marathon and Its Impact on Western Civilization
  • The Immortalization Commission: Science and the Strange Quest to Cheat Death
  • The Hemlock Cup: Socrates, Athens and the Search for the Good Life
  • All The Best, George Bush: My Life and Other Writings
  • A Different Drummer: My Thirty Years with Ronald Reagan
  • Patton, Montgomery, Rommel: Masters of War
Ronald Wilson Reagan was the 40th President of the United States (1981–1989) and the 33rd Governor of California (1967–1975). Born in Illinois, Reagan moved to Los Angeles in the 1930s, where he became an actor, president of the Screen Actors Guild (SAG), and a spokesman for General Electric. Reagan became involved in politics during his work for G.E. and switched from the Democratic Party to the ...more
More about Ronald Reagan...
The Reagan Diaries An American Life Reagan Speaking My Mind: Selected Speeches Reagan In His Own Voice