Start by marking “Unfinished Tales” as Want to Read:
Unfinished Tales

Unfinished Tales (Unfinished Tales)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  16,908 ratings  ·  320 reviews
Unfinished Tales is a collection of narratives ranging in time from the Elder Days of Middle-earth to the end of the War of the Ring, and provides those who have read The Lord of the Rings with a whole collection of background and new stories from the twentieth century's most acclaimed popular author.

The book concentrates on the realm of Middle-earth and comprises such ele
Published May 5th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Unfinished Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unfinished Tales

Terry
May 31, 2013 Terry rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tolkien fans, not Richard
This is the first work that showed us how Tolkien's obsessive perfectionism was a double-edged sword. On the one hand it gave us the wonderfully deep world and implied distances of The Lord of the Rings; and on the other hand it left us with a jumble of tales in various states of revision and development that had to be compiled by Tolkien's son Christopher into some form as The Silmarillion...a jumble of tales that, if they had been finished, would have given us a truly staggering body of work. ...more
Psychophant
This is simply a moneymaking scheme. After the success of the Silmarillion, the Tolkien state has published all notes that were in a more or less readable state. This is the only one I bought (besides Chidren of Hurin, which probably has much in common with the bigger part of this book).

I do not think Professor Tolkien would have liked to have these drafts and notes published. Many of them are even obsolete, as he built up and discarded elements in his mythic construct.

There are some great story
Nihan
Orta Dünya hakkında ne kadar kitap yazılırsa yazılsın, hep anlatılacak bir başka öykü daha vardır sanırım. Gizli kalmış öyküler, bize ulaşamayanlar... Bitmemiş Öyküler'e başlarken heyecanlıydım açıkçası neler okuyacağıma dair ve hayal kırıklığına da uğramadım.
İlk Çağ, İkinci Çağ ve Üçüncü Çağ olmak üzere 3 kısımdan oluşuyor kitap ve her şeyin en başından başlıyor anlatılmaya. Savaş yüzünden ailesini terk etmek zorunda kalan Tuor'un öyküsüyle başlıyor. Kısa bir öyküydü, biraz sıkıcıydı :)
Sonra
Joseph
The name says it all -- these are stories primarily of the First and Second Age of Middle-earth that had never quite reached completion, even in draft form; some predate the writing of Lord of the Rings by decades but most come after, and the book includes some of Tolkien's last writings about Middle-earth. The stories are presented by his son Christopher who, presumably, selected the pieces that were nearest to completion and likeliest to be of interest to Middle-earth aficionados. The pieces a ...more
Nikki
This collection of Unfinished Tales is difficult to get to grips with, because Christopher Tolkien had the sense not to mess with them too much. He didn't correct inconsistencies or do too much to the material, and that's for the best: J.R.R.'s intent and the breadth of his world are best experienced this way, I think.

I don't think this is one for the casual reader, but for someone interested in Tolkien and his creation of a secondary world, and in the details of Middle-earth, it's a good one. E
Curtis
I've read quite a few parts of this previously, either due to individual curiosity about specific topics (such as the Quest of Erebor, Istari, Palantiri) or as part of other works (Narn i Hin Hurin –most of which is incorporated in The Children of Hurin), but I had not until now sat down and read all the various tales in order. Already a big fan of Tolkien, as a whole I quite enjoyed the collection, especially since Christopher Tolkien's notes and analysis are kept at a minimum compared when com ...more
Chris Hall
This is a hard book to rate, because it's sort of like rating a compilation album of Led Zeppelin studio out-takes. If you love Led Zeppelin, you would undoubtedly want to listen to pretty much anything they did. On the other hand, objectively speaking, it's probably not their best work, and if you trust them as artists, you know why they left that material on the cutting room floor. And, indeed, this book is a collection of scrapings, random essays and bits of narrative illuminating obscure cor ...more
Kim
Jan 13, 2014 Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tolkien fans
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
A fascinating look at many of the stories that did not make it into Professor Tolkien's primary works. This is probably one of my favorite books of this well-known mythology.

(view spoiler)
Kevis Hendrickson
J.R.R. Tolkien's Unfinished Tales is a terrific book for diehard Tolkien fans, in particular, fans of The Lord of the Rings who have not yet read The Silmarillion. Ever wondered what were the exact events that caused Isildur to lose the One Ring? Or the origins of Wizards? Or what Middle-Earth was like during its First Age? Unfinished Tales helps to shed light on the complex creation of Middle-Earth and the many tales and legends that relate the events in its long and largely tumultuous history. ...more
Chelseabelle
This book is for the nerdiest of Tolkien nerds. I enjoyed it. There were some chapters that I skipped over because I had no interest in them.. I don't really care about Eorl and I don't really care about the fields of Celebrant, but almost everything else was fantastic. The most dissappointing chapter that I read was "Galadriel and Celeborn," and that's only because it was one of the least finished by Tolkien.

Some poeple say this book was put out there for money, but I disagree. There are a LOT
DMae
I bought this book at a used book store in Rome. I read it in the evenings right before bed and on long train trips. When I was leaving Rome for the last time, I had no room in my suitcase, so I sacrificed that book and left it at the hotel. The cover I selected is the one I left behind. My current copy, also used, is a different edition. Most books I found in that hotel were old guide books. I always wondered if someone found it curious that there was a Tolkien book on the shelf!

This book is a
Izumen
Недовършени предания: http://izumen.blogspot.com/2014/11/bl...

Огромна радост е за всички фенове на Толкин в България, фактът, че от издателство "Бард" решиха да преиздадат книгата "Недовършени предания". Не са един или двама хората, които са ме питали от къде да си я намерят. Още повече, че покрай завършващата този декември трилогия по "Хобит" на Питър Джаксън, интересът към Средната земя със сигурност ще се възобнови.

"Недовършени предания" е сборник, издаден след смъртта на Толкин, от неговия с
Dave Maddock
This collection is of highly various quality. The best item, the story of Túrin, has since been made obsolete by The Children of Húrin. Go read that instead, it's great. The story of Aldarion and Erendis stands out as the next best--for its relative completeness, setting in Númenor, and artistry. What remains (the bulk of the book) is not particularly literary, although sometimes interesting from a "portrait of the artist as an old man" point of view.
Angela
For this, I interrupted my run through the unread Tanya Huff on my shelf--'cause all apologies to Ms. Huff and all, but Tolkien trumps her, and I'd gotten into quite the mood to check me out some of the Tolkien material I'd never read once I heard that The Children of Húrin was coming out. So I went and picked up a copy of Unfinished Tales to see what it had to offer.

If you're looking for a complete and cohesive narrative, this isn't it. Unfinished Tales is exactly what the title advertises--a c
beggs
Until the publication of The Children of Hurin a few years ago, Unfinished Tales was the third piece of the Middle-earth trilogy. Paired with The Lord of The Rings and The Silmarillion it was a bit of a third wheel; comprised of various stories in different states of completeness with some editorial comments by Christopher Tolkien needed to bridge the gaps and contradictions left by the myriad versions Tolkien authored of most of these stories.

Unfinished Tales actually includes my favorite of al
Rodrigo
Soy un super fan de "El señor de los anillos" y de Tolkien. Sin duda, los "Cuentos Inconclusos" enriquecen mucho la saga y te dejan con una sensación alucinante, preguntándote si lo inventó todo Tolkien o de verdad existió la Tierra Media. Eso sí, estos cuentos son para especialistas, no sólo fans. Están llenos de referencias a los libros, fechas, nombres en diversas lenguas, sean élficas o "Dúnedáin", además de referencias geográficas e históricas, fechas... Si no tienes en la cabeza toda la hi ...more
Christopher Bashforth
Another surprise present from my lovely wife. Before I started reading I thought it would be about slogging through the First Age chapters before getting to the good stuff on the Third Age – with Tolkien I read everything, even the appendixes. However, I was surprised – the First Age chapters were actually very enjoyable and the Third Age parts were not as good. Having said that though, the best story in the book is the background to the Hobbit. I still think it was amazing that the whole future ...more
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/787532.html[return][return]I'd been putting off reading for years, fearing that it would be as big a disappointment as The Silmarillion. But in fact, taken on its own merits, there are some excellent bits here. The first half of the book, which is basically three chunks of narrative which didn't quite make it into The Silmarillion, is especially good, although the very first part, a lovely description of Tuor's journey to Gondolin, is a bit short on narrative action.[r ...more
Steve Cran
This is one volume that I am glad to have read. It has stories going all the way the first age all the way through to the third age where in the Lord of the Rings occurs. During the first age the reader is treated to an account of how Tuor found the city of Gondolin after having escaped Morgoth;s slave camp. Led by Ulmo , the sea God and elves Tuor is charged with delivering a message. But does Thingol the King of Gondolin heed that message. The second story is the tragic tale of Turin son of Hu ...more
Rossrn Nunamaker
Feb 17, 2014 Rossrn Nunamaker rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who wanted more after finishing Lord of the Rings
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
I had wanted to read History of Middle Earth (HoME), and re-reading the published version of each became a pre-requisite to refresh my memory. So I read The Silmarillion and then decided before HoME, I'd read The Unfinished Tales. I last read this book roughly 20 years ago so re-reading it was essentially a new experience.

While HoME is definitely for the dedicated and hardcore fan of Tolkien, Unfinished Tales is a bit different. I felt like Christopher Tolkien's commentary was more along the lin
X
Jan 02, 2010 X rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tolkienites
This book has some amazing gems of writing, but alas!, as the title suggests, they are unfinished - as in an abrupt stop in the middle of the story rather than just unpolished. It's such a shame that Tolkien didn't finish more of his works. Christopher Tolkien does an admirable job of piecing endings together, so at least I won't forever be wondering how most of the stories end. I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't more on the Third Age and LOTR, but perhaps that is in other books.
Přemýšlím, co touto knihou chtěl C. Tolkien vlastně říci. Je to kombinace Tolkienových neuspořádaných poznámek slepených do povídek. Toto rozhodně není něco, co by bylo vydatelného. Buď si měl Christopher nechat narůst orgány a stát se pokračovatelem díla svého otce nebo měl z jeho poznámek udělat pseudo-encyklopedii. Ne knížku, které schází hlava a pata.

A paní překladatelka by si mohla odpustit komolení jmen....
Kevin Underhill
Five stars for Tolkien fans, at least, but you probably need to be familiar with The Silmarillion (and even like it) as well as LOTR. If you are, then it's awesome to read some of the (unfinished) backstory that Tolkien had worked on but never published. If you're not, it might be too hard to follow. I wasn't interested in it much until recently, but I really liked it.
Aha
It is a way better than most finished tales of other authors for sure!
But in most cases, the way Christofer representing it, I cannot say that something is unfinished there! A very good read! I did find out many interesting information concerning Arda and state of thing as a whole.

I recommend it to read after Silmarillion!
David
You've read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings many times. You've worked your way through The Silmarillion. Then you enjoyed the fantastic Children of Hurin. Now you want to read more from Middle Earth. Unfinished Tales seems to be the next place to go.

For me, it will probably be the last place. These are a collection of writings in various degrees of completion. Some, such as the coming of Tuor to Gondolin, give only a glimpse of what could have been a fantastic, epic story. Sadly, the glimpse is
Andrea
Well. This... I have to admit, it was something of a chore. But I am ever so glad to have read this: it has several great additions to stories we already knew, or thought we knew. The bits about Númenor were amazing, even the ones about later were great though I do admit at times I got confused but that just means I need to reread this later. This is certainly a special case in that you have to let go of your common conception of what a literary work should look like. This is literature, yes, bu ...more
Andra Nicoara
Brilliant! Like all of Tolkien's work... If you're a fan of the Middle Earth stories, this is definitely something you should read!
Ahmad Sharabiani
Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-Earth, J.R.R. Tolkien
قصه‌های ناتمام نومه‌نور و سرزمین میانه - دوران دوم
Talbot Hook
While not every section is particularly of note, there are several that are truly masterful. Of Tuor and his coming to Gondolin was shockingly left out of the Silmarillion, inexplicably. His travails and eventual coming to Vinyamar are truly beautiful passages. His meeting with Ulmo is a rarity of human/Valar interaction. And, we get a lovely description of the various defenses of the Hidden City.

Other wonderful chapters are those concerning Numenor. The tale of Aldarion and Erendis I have read
Jim Vitz
This book is not for Tolkien fans, it's for Tolkien fanatics. If you read the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings and then moved on this book probably isn't for you. But if like me you enjoy pouring over the Appendices, studying dates and facts about Middle Earth you will really like this book. There are several untold stories full of information that hadn't been available before. Plus you'll get a picture of how Tolkien built his world. From chapters of stories to scraps of paper with notes jotted ...more
Mythgard Academy: Unfinished Tales: General Discussion 1 8 Apr 21, 2014 01:19PM
  • The Tolkien Companion
  • The Journeys Of Frodo
  • Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World
  • Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit
  • A Gateway to Sindarin: A Grammar of an Elvish Language from JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
  • Understanding The Lord of the Rings: The Best of Tolkien Criticism
  • The Complete Guide to Middle-Earth
  • Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth
  • There and Back Again: The Map of the Hobbit
  • After the King: Stories in Honor of J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Inklings: C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, and Their Friends
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English langu
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...
The Hobbit (Middle-Earth Universe) The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3) The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2) The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3)

“Fear both the heat and the cold of your heart, and try to have patience, if you can.” 373 likes
“Kalbine ateş düşmesinden de kaçın kalbinin buz tutmasından da...” 3 likes