31 Dates in 31 Days

31 Dates in 31 Days

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  45 reviews
On the eve of her 31st birthday, after yet another painful breakup, Tamara Duricka Johnson decides it’s time to overhaul her dating habits. When a friend jokingly suggests that she embark on a “dating project,” inspiration strikes: in honor of turning 31, she'll go on 31 dates in 31 days — and resist the urge to turn each date into her next relationship. Instead, she’ll ha...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Seal Press

To ask other readers questions about 31 Dates in 31 Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 31 Dates in 31 Days

Alli
I loved it! I loved it! Who doesn’t love a good 1st date story. At some point, we have all sat with friends, laughing and cringing, about our own 1st dates. In 31 Dates in 31 Days, Tamara takes us on the ultimate dating adventure; 30 first or blind dates, in a row (without a second date until day 31)!
There is something terrifying and thrilling about going out with a complete or near stranger for the first time. You never quite know what you are going to get. Will it be boring or uncomfortable...more
Sharon
I picked this book up in my local bookstore where Tamara had recently spoken and was intrigued by the premise and awesome ratings for this book.

Sadly, I think I was totally let down.

Tamara's experience is really... real haha. I wanted to be thrown through some adventure! Perhaps for those who haven't lived in NYC it might read differently... heck, if I hadn't lived in NYC and attended her alma mater then maybe I would be more impressed with the sights of the city from Mudd rooftop, not knowing h...more
Lauren Cook
I loved this book! It flew by. Tamara's positivity gave me a new perspective and the importance of not only seeing, but searching for the best in others. Not to mention, I love that this book takes place in New York--now I know where to go when I visit Columbia again! Of course the ending is truly wonderful but her openness and vulnerability to a new adventure is something we should all attempt to cultivate in our own lives...single, dating or married.
Shalee
Couldn't put this book down and I even knew how it ended! I went to High School with Tami and followed her 31 dates as they occured. Date #5 was with an Elder I served with in Italy. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about each date...I thought it might get redundant but it didn't. She made me laugh and I liked hearing about the lessons she learned along the way (especially finding the good in everyone.) It was a great journey and she captured it with great writing. You should read it for valentine's...more
Melissa
I picked up this book because of the title. Sitting there on the shelf at work jammed between a book about beekeeping and another popular fiction title, it seemed to call out to me. Can someone truly go on thirty-one dates in thirty-one days and not go crazy? I had to find out.

What surprised me was how much I ended up liking this book and I could relate to author's doubts about dating. Some of her fears and reactions to dating were some of my own fears and reactions. I read the first fifty page...more
Anna
I heard about this and had to read it. As a person who has had 2 dates in 19 years, how did one person get 30 dates in one month? It turns out the answer is she begged friends, acquaintances, anyone who could hook her up. It was an interesting and hopeful read. She dates a lot of great sounding guys, and learns a lot about herself.
Mary Ann
This was a fun read in 24 hours. When I read the back I thought it was fiction, but it really is Tamara's personal experiment going out with a different guy every night for a month on all G-rated dates. I want my teenagers to read it so they can get a good perspective on dating. I enjoyed reading about her experiences, too.
Azure
Loved it! A fresh look at dating, and after years in the "dating pool," I needed it. Inspired me to do my own dating challenge. http://20firstdates.blogspot.com/
Ansley
Jul 14, 2011 Ansley marked it as to-read
Can't wait to read this!
Kate
Tamara Duricka Johnson's 31 Dates in 31 Days is wonderful! This is the story about her dating experiment, which turned into an amazing learning experience (and eventually led to her marriage).

The memoir starts out with Tamara's boyfriend dumping her (on the subway!), followed by her realization that she needs to completely overhaul her dating style. It's easy to start dreaming about the potential future with someone after a single date. Tamara's goal is to get control of that impulse. So she emb...more
Kelli (I'd So Rather Be Reading)
I am a tough sell with nonfiction. I tend to have a very short attention span when it comes to nonfiction. I should have considered this issue of mine when I agreed to review 31 Dates in 31 Days, but I thought that the premise sounded so interesting that I would be able to overcome my nonfiction qualms.

And, in large part, I did enjoy 31 Dates in 31 Days. I really admired Tamara for undergoing the challenge to date a new guy every day for a month. I would never have that kind of nerve! I always f...more
This book surprised me. I was initially weary of a book about a woman who decides to take on a daring new project of going out on 31 first dates with 31 different guys. But as I began reading, I found myself really enjoying Tamara's journey of self-exploration. This is not only a fun and well-written book, but it's insightful and my mind saw it for what it really was: a psychological experiment into relationships and dating.

Tamara Duricka Johnson is a New York City network television news writer...more
I'm on page 141 of 256 of 31 Dates in 31 Days: I have a galley copy, so there's some basic editing that is distracting but would obvs. be in the final copy. However some of the major problems I have with the book seem pretty set. The premise is great, you can hear her voice, however, tenses are inconsistent and organization is poor. Essentially: good writing, better editing needed. — Oct 21, 2011 09:00am

I've read until the point above. I'll attempt to continue over the Thanksgiving holiday, but...more
Michelle Llewellyn
The reveal halfway through the book that the author was a Mormon was a pleasant surprise. It also made me wish I lived in a metropolis like NYC. Lots of fun things to do in Salt Lake City, Utah, too, if you can get the boys to put down the video game controllers long enough to take an interst in dating. Or maybe Tamara was just very lucky to have so many connections like working in television and being blessed with such a large network of girlfriends to give her project so much success and expos...more
Megan
Feb 25, 2013 Megan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Megan by: My mom
I read this book in two days. I got sucked in, wanting to see how her perspective changed from jaded and disappointed to optimistic and hopeful. I also wanted to see who she chose for the 31st date (my guess was correct!). I thought it was a tad preachy -- she extrapolizes lessons from every single date which gets a tad annoying for me (can't she just enjoy herself?) -- but I appreciated that she went out of her way to see the good in each guy, regardless of whether she wanted to date him in the...more
Every date = same formula. Started out as a blaagh. She's too afraid to be honest and rightly so because who wants to blatantly reject someone when you have Good Morning America breathing down your neck and your numerous blog followers scrutinizing every adjective after every date? Seemed like she was super! nice! about everything simply because she didn't want negative comments under her date posts. Think I'm going to boycott wannabe writer blogger "experiments" turned books for a while. This n...more
Julie
Why only four stars? Johnson's writing is typical of the genre—accessible, engaging, with flashes of humor. My only criticism is that many of her dates seemed to end with her extrapolating some lesson or moral to help develop her new approach to relationships. I'm not sure such epiphanies were completely integral to the story-telling aspect of her experiment. I enjoyed just reading about the dates and didn't need to read all of the lessons she learned; a handful would have sufficed.

The book as a...more
Rachel
This book actually surprised me. I had to read the whole thing before putting it down because I wanted to know who she would end up with! Definitely a solid beach read. Light-hearted, romantic, and fun.
Rebecca
I really had fun reading this book. I especially liked hearing how date 31 was chosen and about that final date. Fittingly, I finished it a day after Valentine's Day so it felt like it had just happened. What a great love story to tell your kids later, how mom and dad first met. I also envisioned this as a romantic comedy starring Cameron Diaz.

Did Dan ever get to play football for BYU?

The forty year old Brian cracked me up with his Extreme date planning and how he made sure Tamara could tell he...more
Cat Kovach
While going into this book, I thought that it would help give me more perspective on dating in general (especially dating in New York), however instead I felt as though it was just a dating memoir focusing solely on the author. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, of course, but reading about the success (and ease) at which this woman got her dates (and eventually her husband) did not uplift like I wanted to. She's a fine writer and I would have rated it higher, but I was expecting someth...more
Kimberlie
Quick, light read. The true story of a NYC girl who decides, when she turns 31 and is depressed about her boyfriend dumping her, to go out on 31 dates in 31 days. To learn about men, dating and herself.
I knew how this story ended (the author is my sister's sister-in-law) but I still liked hearing about the journey. The writing is nice, but I got tired of her relating everything to dating--a rubiks cube, an entree, rock climbing. But it was fun reading about all of her dates and I liked some of...more
Kelly
Definitely an interesting read! I enjoyed it.
Kca12
I absolutely loved this book! I found myself not being able to put it down, always wanting to read the next chapter.

Duricka-Johnson put a unique, humorous, witty, insightful, and fun spin on the age old world of dating. She voiced what I think almost every single person, man or woman, has thought in the backs of their minds at one point or another. So, her journey, I think, is one that ANYONE could relate to and appreciate. Plus, you'll get a few laughs along the way :)
Jessica Ashe
Well, the most I can say for this book is the author's intention was great, however, I did NOT enjoy this book at all. I had to force myself to finish. Maybe I didn't enjoy this because I am happily married and it's hard for me to relate to the single life anymore (as I've been out of the dating game for over 3.5 years now). I do praise Tamara for her courage & strength to take on such a goal & finish with such amazing results.
Candace Carkson
This was painful to read. Duricka's poor mastery of the English language was evidenced too many times--by the end I wanted to burn my eyes out. I wish I could have those 6 hours of my life back!

Books like this make me question the standards of book publishing, not to mention the questionable reviews posted on goodreads. My guess: her friends are the only ones rating it.

Don't waste your time!!
Amyksharp
3.5. stars
I was able to attend a book signing with the author, and her reading and the very interesting conversation that followed convinced me to buy the book. Entertaining read...I always love reading books and projects related to increasing self-awareness and growth. Easy read, clear, interesting project. I was almost convinced to start a dating project of my own :)
This is such an enjoyable book, it's both honest and engaging. I've had a hard time putting it down. You truly feel what Tamara is going through and what she learns from each of her dates, and just meeting new people in general. It's all the more enjoyable knowing that this is a true tale of love. I highly recommend this book to anyone.
Elizabeth Wolfe
Possibly the best dating book I have read. It was so easy to relate with the author and her dating experiences, the wanting to be loved, not wanting to be alone, feeling like a failure, and wondering if the "one " will ever come along. Brava Tamara for conquering your fears and insecurities and thank you for sharing your journey!
Christine
I thought this was a sweet read, quick read. Even though I already knew the outcome after following Tamara's original dating project (she's a high school classmate)-- I really loved reading each vignette and getting caught up in the excitement of it all again. Think this would be perfect metro read (or beach read when it's warmer!).
Ellen
I enjoyed reading this book. While it wasn't life changing, I was able to apply some of the lessons Tamara learned on her journey to how I should see dating. I could never do what she did. This would have been exhausting. Some of the dates dragged on a bit, but overall I liked reading this and it had a satisfactory ending.
  • Breaking the Rules
  • Sue Ellen's Girl Ain't Fat, She Just Weighs Heavy: The Belle of All Things Southern Dishes on Men, Money, and Not Losing Your Midlife Mind
  • The Debutante
  • What Do You Do All Day?
  • Confessions of a Rebel Debutante
  • Catching Alice
  • Unrest
  • Alyzon Whitestarr
  • When Jeff Comes Home
  • Irish Eyes (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #8)
  • The Flirt