Start by marking “Chosen (Line of Descent #1)” as Want to Read:
Chosen (Line of Descent #1)

Chosen (Line of Descent #1)

2.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  167 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Due to a talent she has kept secret since childhood, Mariah becomes reclusive and shies away from lasting relationships. However, one night a man steps out of a hole in space, injects her with an alien substance and her secret – an extraordinary psychic ability – becomes enhanced to the degree that she now can telepathically find abducted children.

Her safe, anonymous world
Published June 16th 2011 by Fiction Std, E Book

To ask other readers questions about Chosen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chosen

Maryann
Jun 17, 2012 Maryann rated it did not like it
Could not agree more with this review:

"Halfway through the book, it's reading like this:

Mariah: Hi, I have a psychic ability that lets me find kidnapped kids and heal people.
Everyone Else: Oh! That must be a gift from god. That's totally believable, thanks for helping us!

Um, seriously? Maybe one or two people would believe her and/or think it was a god-given ability, but everyone in the book? Um, yeah, I don't see that happening.

Having finished the whole thing, I have to say that this book is so
Sue Foster
Apr 20, 2014 Sue Foster rated it it was ok
Hummmm.....I hate to say that I so nearly didn't finish this book. People who know me well, can confirm that not finishing a book is something I never do. However, this was very close.
It didn't start off too badly, although i'nmn not that fond of religious books, but I was warned of this in a few reviews I had read. Putting that aside, I thought the p!it was quite interesting. As I got deeper into the story it got more and more sensationalized. In my opinion, the ideas could have been handled to
Jessica
Jan 29, 2013 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
if I could give it a zero star, I would.

Read the review on my blog. www.writtenmusing.wordpress.com
Patti
May 06, 2015 Patti rated it did not like it
I found the book and finished it. I do not know why. Perhaps I wanted to see how deep into ludicrousness the author could descend. Boy, she hit rock bottom. She is at the bottom of the Marianas Trench and no rescue is being mounted.

The book purported to be the story of a newly born-again Christian, a spinster, who suddenly and frighteningly begins to have visions of kidnapped children and the ability to find them. The FBI is at first skeptical and then helpful. As more and more children are retu
Jessica
Oct 05, 2011 Jessica rated it did not like it
I read about 21 pages, and I don't think I can keep going... As far-fetched as some people might believe it to be, I am actually fascinated by the crimes shows that feature psychics and would love to understand the whole paranormal/supernatural realm, but I doubt I will this side of eternity. So that's what drew me to this book. I didn't know that it would have such a religious beginning... Not sure if the author is a Christian, but if she's not, she's awfully kind in the way she portrays every ...more
Christy
Sep 04, 2011 Christy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
At about the halfway point the book started to go downhill. At about the 85% point, I figured it might be the first in a serial with nothing resolved. I hate this. I read a lot of SERIES which feature the same person or people but the plot in each have a beginning and an ending, and I think the publisher has a responsibility to let the buyer understand it is an installment piece in a larger serial. I bitched about this recently with the latest Preston/Child Pendergast books. I mean, it is okay t ...more
Rosemarie
Feb 06, 2012 Rosemarie rated it did not like it
Okay, it says I read it. There's no option for couldn't finish it. I got about a third of the way through and had to stop. I was pulling my hair out! The only reason I got that far was because I thought the author had an intriguing plot line. However, I just could NOT get past the writing, which is in desperate need of major editing. It's like the publisher put out the first draft! The dialogue was not believable. All the characters seemed to speak with the same "voice" as the main character. Th ...more
Cheryl
Jul 04, 2011 Cheryl rated it liked it
Mariah Carpenter had just taken a bunch of pills. She wants to commit suicide. Though, Mariah awakes to find that she is not dead. In fact, it seems that though the ordeal, Mariah has the psychic ability to communicate with children. Of course, these are not any children. These children have been kidnapped. It stated with Amanda. Mariah saw the news story on her and the next thing she knew, she was about to talk to Amanda and notify the police where Amanda was. Mariah soon becomes a celebrity. S ...more
Pam
Sep 08, 2011 Pam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mariah swallows almost two dozen Restoril pills with the intention of killing herself. She is stunned when she wakes up the next morning, very much alive. However, something happened to her while she was sleeping, something she refers to as the ‘visitation.’ As she confides what happened to her friend, he thinks that this was something miraculous and prompts her to talk to the minister of his church. Michael, the minister, also thinks that this was God’s doing, a miracle. And soon Mariah finds a ...more
Cynthisa
Feb 12, 2013 Cynthisa rated it did not like it
As a Jew, I found this book to be extremely OFFENSIVE. It wasn't the main character joining a Christian church (even though she gives almost NO rationale for it happening) that bothered me. No, what offended me was that in the very first chapter, it's mentioned that the main character was Jewish but that she was "kicked out" of Sunday school for "asking too many questions." WHAT!?! How absolutely insulting. The author claims in the Acknowledgements to have consulted a Jew, but if so, she didn't ...more
Jessica at Book Sake
This story started with a great plot about a woman who develops psychic abilities and uses them to find children that are kidnapped. I wasn't bothered by the religious undertones, or the fact that the character believes that she has had a divine intervention of some kind. I could appreciate her using her talents to help these children, and I only wish that there could be someone out there that really could be an angel, as the kids believe her to be in the book. Her character was very interesting ...more
Michelle
Sep 03, 2011 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Halfway through the book, it's reading like this:

Having finished the whole thing, I have to say that this book is so bad it becomes hilarious. A christian-
Lorri
Aug 13, 2011 Lorri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was hooked on this book from the first chapter. Mariah swallows sleeping pills and then chases them down with a bag of M&M's- her go to food. She is then 'visited' by what some believe to be an angel. She wakes up with no ill effects at all and soon discovers that she has the power to communicate with children. After each episode or Finding, Mariah gets younger and healthier and finds that her powers are growing. The thing is, she is finding it hard to control her anger towards the kidnapp ...more
Star
Apr 07, 2012 Star rated it it was amazing
Chosen is a cleverly-crafted and bewitching novel, which tells the story of Mariah Carpenter, who has spent her life trying to fit in and be accepted. Now she's received a boost to her small psychic powers, which she'd kept hidden since she was little in order to please her mother. I first thought, as I was reading, that this was a genre of book I don't normally read - but it's SO much more and will keep you on the edge of your seat. I enjoyed the characters very much, and while some of the twis ...more
CuteBadger
Aug 09, 2014 CuteBadger rated it did not like it
This was free to download for Kindle and there was definitely a reason for that - it's rubbish! Muddled-up old tosh about Christianity, psychic powers and aliens. Plus it doesn't have an ending as it's the first of a trilogy, so a complete waste of time.
Lillie
Jan 23, 2012 Lillie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I marked this sci-fi, but I'm not really sure what it is. At the beginning, Mariah's psychic powers seem to come from God, and she converts from Judaism to Christianity. However, as the story progresses, her actions seem less and less Christian. The language is offensive, and she and the videographer who tapes her "Findings" move in together. Mariah starts to punish the kidnappers rather than just save kidnapped children, and she consciously tries to strengthen her powers. Then all of a sudden, ...more
Leah
Jun 18, 2015 Leah rated it did not like it
Horrible. I won't go into detail because I have the same thoughts of so many who have reviewed the story. It could have been good, but it was all over the place.
Kimberlie
Mar 07, 2013 Kimberlie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
The first half of the book was interesting and engaging. Somewhere in the middle, it seemed as if a new author took over. Interesting moments were entirely skipped and mentioned only like after thoughts. Then it just got plain weird. Sometimes I had to make sure I was still on the same book. A new chapter would start with new characters and no real sense of whether it would fit together with the main story. I was ready for this one to be over with, but I kept on since I had already read so much.
Aug 26, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: never-finished
Maybe it was that I've just finished reading the Merry Gentry series and the contrast was just too much for me or maybe it was just this book. After the first couple of pages I found myself skimming the first sentence of each paragraph and not only getting the gist of what was going on but being able to keep up with the story. I really wasn't entranced with the quality of the writing, it was just a bit awkward.
Heather
Jan 01, 2016 Heather rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I just could not get into this. I'm not sure what it is. Mariah isn't someone I could really care much about, and really none of the other characters struck a chord with me. This book promises much excitement, and hopefully it gets better as it gets closer to the end. At this point in time, however, I couldn't get into it. I might try again at some point, as the premise is intriguing indeed.
Judy
Oct 09, 2011 Judy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This free download to my Kindle was okay; I thought that the premise was not that strong but I did like the fact that the main characters were "good" people, in spite of some of them "using" the heroine for their own purposes (career advancement).

The book had way too many typos :(
Sonya
Sep 07, 2011 Sonya rated it it was ok
Still not really sure how I feel about this book. I read through the part in the beginning that seemed more like religious preaching than part of the story, and tried to see what happened, to find that the book ends without any clear answers.
MaryAnn
Sep 13, 2013 MaryAnn rated it it was ok
The earlier parts of the book were very entertaining. Once it got past psychic into alien, and once it became clear that there would be no resolution, just a lead-in to buying volume 2, then it became just a book to finish.
Vanessa
Mar 23, 2016 Vanessa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just could not finish it. It started out interesting, then it just seemed to get bogged down and more and more weird and I just didn't have it in me to finish it. It might be someone else's cup of tea though.
Meg
Sep 19, 2011 Meg rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
ugh. Didn't like this book at all. Poorly written and then it just went weird. I am amazed I was even able to finish it, only to discover it's the first in an upcoming series. I definitely won't be continuing.
Chevon Atkinson
Sep 20, 2011 Chevon Atkinson rated it liked it
I was into the book until the end and it was just to far fetched. To think there will be a series based on this.. Most of the book was out there but the ending is not what I wanted to see happen...
Rachael Cantrill
I basically couldn't finish this book and that is so unlike me I normally middle through to the end no matter how bad . this book however started off promising so much but just didn't deliver.
Trish Bodine
Oct 28, 2011 Trish Bodine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. I love the premise and I am looking forward to Prophecy. My only negative critism would be the few typos, homophone confusions, and grammatical errors this version contained.
Jill
Feb 11, 2013 Jill rated it it was ok
It was ok. I enjoyed the characters and the book up until the end. There was zero resolution. It was pretty much just stopped and then you are told to read the next book - no thanks.
MsMaybelle
hmmm ... book one of how many?
Would like to have known this before I started reading.
I usually wait til I have 2 books in hand before I start.

Interesting story. .... hmmm
  • Guns
  • Clear Blue Sky
  • Suspicions: a novel of suspense
  • The Trouble With Green
  • The Witch of Agnesi (Bonnie Pinkwater Mystery, #1)
  • Chasing Eden (Eden Thrillers #1)
  • Hostage in Havana (The Cuban Trilogy #1)
  • First Impressions
  • Restore My Heart (Mustang Sally Trilogy #1)
  • Gypsy Moon
  • Reinventing Leona
  • Sons and Princes
  • Commune of Women
  • Disturbed Earth
  • Until Again: The prequel novella to Blue
  • Murder in Store
  • Sensei
  • Summer of Fire (Yellowstone, #1)