Start by marking “Coils” as Want to Read:
Coils

Coils

A new entity is being born. Its cells are microprocessors, its soul lives in data banks from Wall Street to Red Square. It is neither good nor evil. But it is very dangerous. The Angra Oil Corporation thinks it is just another resource to be used up......Coils: The story of a man and a woman trapped in the battle between a soulless corporation and the soul of a new machine ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 250 pages
Published November 1982 by Tor (first published May 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Coils, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coils

Printable Tire
Apr 14, 2007 Printable Tire rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one. This book really sucks.
This book was horrible. I kept expecting a twist ending but alas, it was a horribly straight-forward scifi/action romp. A waste of both the authors' talents.

I got this from my high school's library for free. Sometimes they would discard books and have them out for free. I think I had it for so long because I thought the cover was cool and the girl looked hot. The cover's about the best thing about this book.

There are really only like three books I regret reading. They are Indiana Jones and the S
Jim
Dec 19, 2007 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written with Fred Saberhagen, I'm generally not too fond of books where Zelazny writes with another author. This is an exception. They complement each other very well in this short, but very action packed novel.

It's an interesting concept. In the not too distant future, the world is run almost entirely by computers with mega corporations. The hero is caught up in a tense situation, but has a hidden ally & talent that becomes apparent as the novel progresses.
Rhiannon
Mar 04, 2017 Rhiannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci, fantasy
I really enjoyed how these authors created a new variety of hacking, as the main character hacks with ESP-like power. Fascinating plot and feels like it was written today almost. Still relevant, especially because the female characters are as bold and interesting as the male characters. I'm probably showing my age as I'm not looking for other sexes, well, there is the Being in cyberspace. Anyway, it's better than Heinlein on that front. It's definitely action packed, which I also liked, and felt ...more
blake
S is for Saberhagen, though I note more recent editions of this book list Zelazny first.

It's not great. It's not bad, either. Competently constructed and written, it suffers a bit for being so much of its time while taking place in an arena that is contemptuously familiar to us all today, the Data-net. I think it takes place in the 1990s, and features an Internet that is powered by phone lines, with roads full of auto-driving cars and skies full of auto-driving vehicles. There's a naive plot ab
Alazzar
Jul 22, 2012 Alazzar rated it really liked it
I’m never sure what to think about one of Zelazny’s collaborations before I dive in. I mean, I’ve never read one that was bad (of course, I’ve also never read Flare ), but I tend to think of them as slightly lower quality than his solo works. As such, a used copy of Coils sat on my bookshelf for the better part of a year before I finally decided to crack it open. And even then, I wasn’t terribly excited about it.

Boy, was I a fool.

Of all the Zelazny collaborations I’ve read, this is the one that
Иван Величков
Тандемът Зелазни-Саберхаген е една от малкото сполучливи комбинации между продуктивни фантастични автори, а българското издание е от библиотека Мегафантастика, която преди 20 години ни зарадва само с две, но за сметка на това чудесни, книги.
Романът е един, сега вече наивно изглеждащ, техно трилър с малко елементи на паранормално и капка киберпънк за финал. Писан през 1982 година, като действието се развива в близкото бъдеще (1995). Бъдеще с минимален технологичен напредък, който на места за съжа
Marsha
Coils posits a man of terrifying power and unshakeable morals—more or less. Donald Belpatri doesn’t kill out of sadism or spite yet he shows little remorse when human beings get murdered. He’s dead set on getting his kidnapped girlfriend back but you wonder what it is he really feels about her. He’s not willing to let her go yet there’s no impression given that he actually loves her. He seems closer to the duplicitous and intelligent Ann than to his beautiful Cora.

Yet his feelings are perhaps i
Mathew Whitney
Coils is a novel by Roger Zelazny and Fred Saberhagen, published in the early 1980s and set in the authors' projected idea of the mid-1990s. The book is short and fast-paced with a mystery at its center as the main character tries to remember his past, discover the mysterious powers hidden by his amnesia, and prevent the people who did this to him from harming him or his girlfriend.

Although we've achieved more of the negative than the positive predictions this book holds for a future now 20 year
Alex Rogalski
I like this book not because the story is great (it is not) but because of how it incorporates technology as a fantasy element in a way that is historically unusual - it occupies a slice of time when a modem and a cordless phone were state of the art. Zelazny tends to provide you with an expanding insight into the fantasy framework that his characters operate in/with and it's just kinda funny to see this happen with electronics that are now really outdated.
Jonathan Palfrey
Feb 22, 2012 Jonathan Palfrey rated it liked it
Cowritten by Fred Saberhagen, this still feels like a Zelazny book. It's not one of his best, being slightly unconvincing throughout, but I like it well enough to reread it now and then. It features a man who can in effect do telepathy with computers, which is implausible but original, and nicely weird.
Cynthia
May 28, 2008 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: zelazny fans
Shelves: scifi
This isn't Zelazny's best work by a long shot, but I'd have to give it at least 4 stars. It has some of his most incredible writing and a few really memorable scenes, even if the book as a whole is hardly his best. I guess I just have a real soft spot for this one.
Ken
Apr 13, 2014 Ken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardcover, owned
Quick easy read. Enjoyed the story line
Charl
May 06, 2014 Charl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: y2016
So weird. Two of my favorite authors, put them together, and get a lackluster, barely engaging story, with a literal deus ex machina at the end. Very disappointing.
Jamie
Shelves: scifi
1986 grade A-

with Saberhagen
Alexander Skakunov
Not bad! Internet, "Matrix" movie and Tesla were predicted in this book in 1980.
George
Feb 29, 2008 George rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All hail the Singularity!
Scott
Jan 06, 2010 Scott rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not exactly Zelazny's best. It kind of felt like the result of a creative writing workshop assignment.
Jerry Hyson
Jerry Hyson rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2009
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2012
Paul Reid
Paul Reid rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2014
Arnaud Duval
Arnaud Duval rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2015
Pran
Pran rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2014
Pajjakid
Pajjakid rated it really liked it
May 13, 2017
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2013
Rinaldo
Rinaldo rated it really liked it
May 18, 2017
Vincent
Vincent rated it it was ok
Dec 03, 2009
Jude
Jude rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2009
Ksenzov Alexey
Ksenzov Alexey rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2012
David Blair
David Blair rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2016
  • The Exile Waiting
  • Strange Toys
  • Retief Unbound (Jaime Retief Series #10)
  • Starchild Trilogy
  • The Black Corridor
  • The Stars are Also Fire (Harvest of Stars, #2)
  • The Ultimate Enemy (Berserker, #5)
  • Quest For The Future
  • The Void Captain's Tale
  • Special Deliverance
  • The Unreasoning Mask
  • As on a Darkling Plain
  • Psychoshop
  • Cold Allies
  • Chaining the Lady (Cluster, #2)
  • To the Stars (Omnibus)
Roger Zelazny made his name with a group of novellas which demonstrated just how intense an emotional charge could be generated by the stock imagery of sf; the most famous of these is A Rose for Ecclesiastes in which a poet struggles to convince dying and sterile Martians that life is worth continuing. Zelazny continued to write excellent short stories throughout his career. Most of his novels dea ...more
More about Roger Zelazny...