Start by marking “Masters: Book Arts: Major Works by Leading Artists” as Want to Read:
Masters: Book Arts: Major Works by Leading Artists

Masters: Book Arts: Major Works by Leading Artists

Published April 5th 2011 by Lark Books

To ask other readers questions about Masters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Masters

liberal sprinkles
Aug 24, 2011 liberal sprinkles rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: crafters, book artists, artists
[ read a longer review of Masters: Book Arts at my blog liberal sprinkles ]

This is an amazing collection of works by 40 book artists. It covers a wide variety of book forms, binding techniques, embellishment methods and materials used. Looks like anything can be art, and almost anything can be considered a book.

I certainly am not enamored of all the works presented here but I do appreciate the creativity and inventiveness of the artists. Take Margaret Couch Cogswell's "crowning glories" - books
Ed Smiley
Oct 12, 2011 Ed Smiley rated it it was amazing
This fabulously illustrated book shows the extraordinary breadth of what can constitute book arts and infinitely stretches the possibilities of what constitutes a book for anyone less familiar with the genre.

I highly recommend this book to bibliophiles, art lovers and artists, and those who have seen some example of "the book arts" to get a survey of what the field entails, whether it be sculptures involving miniature books, altered books, zigzag books, books with sculpted hollows, alternate bi
Marie Z. Johansen
Jun 06, 2011 Marie Z. Johansen rated it it was amazing
I must admit to being somewhat addicted to Lark's "Masters" series. I love the format, you can’t top the photography and the inspiration gained for a relatively small cost is priceless. Ever since art journaling has taken a larger part of my time I have been smitten with the idea of making journals and books. No. I haven't tried it yet because I am in the process of trying to figure out what addictions (reading, painting, journaling, fountain pens, painting etc etc) to keep and which, if any, I ...more
Andrea Blythe
Dec 03, 2011 Andrea Blythe rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
The artist in this book redefine what books can represent. The art displayed is gorgeous that transforming the very nature of the book. The artists use a variety of techniques and incorporated unusual materials and unique bindings. For example, some books become sculptural, others incorporate miniature, hand-bound books into larger art pieces. Its very cool to look through the very different and captivating art pieces and read what inspires the artist.
Shelton TRL
Jul 26, 2012 Shelton TRL rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-arts
This collection in the popular Masters series, chosen and introduced by one of the world's top curators, offers field-defining work from 43 master book artists. The selections demonstrate conceptual, aesthetic, and technical excellence, as well as incredible beauty. Brief comments from the artists about their work, careers, and philosophies accompany the stunning images of their most innovative and technically accomplished book art achievements.
Brigette
Jan 17, 2012 Brigette rated it really liked it
I like the "Masters" series. I've looked at the one on collage, the one on art quilts, and now this one on book arts. The work showcased is often inspiring--sometimes because it's just so good, and sometimes because you look at it and say "well, if they can do that I can certainly match it."
Jen Johnson
Sep 20, 2011 Jen Johnson rated it really liked it
beautifully wide scope of book artists, with bios and artist statements. good photography of the pieces as well. like a gallery in my hands.
David Skies
Mar 19, 2012 David Skies rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Were it not for all the readily available books for them to dissect, I'm pretty sure most of these people would be serial killers.
A
Mar 09, 2014 A rated it it was amazing
So much beauty in this book. A glorious collection of book art/ists. Definitely worth owning/perusing if you find this sort of art amazing, inspiring, and soul-filling.
cat
Dec 25, 2011 cat rated it really liked it
Shelves: 100-in-2011
2011 Book 123/100

Loved this collectioin of fabulous book art - and was thrilled to see an Iowa Citian representing!
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2011
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Elizabeth Pelletier
Elizabeth Pelletier rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2015
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2016
Marianne
Marianne rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2012
Tracy
Tracy rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2012
Judy Schewe
Judy Schewe rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2012
Sheila
Sheila rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2014
Tomika
Tomika rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2012
Joanna Clausen
Joanna Clausen rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2014
Dayna
Dayna rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Angel
Angel rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2015
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2015
Leigh Craven
Leigh Craven rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2015
Arty
Arty rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2011
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2015
Susanna-Cole King
Susanna-Cole King rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2011
Eric Nusbaum
Eric Nusbaum rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2014