Start by marking “The Crystal Star (Star Wars)” as Want to Read:
The Crystal Star (Star Wars)

The Crystal Star (Star Wars Universe)

3.02 of 5 stars 3.02  ·  rating details  ·  5,546 ratings  ·  92 reviews

First Timothy Zahn reopened the door to George Lucas's dazzling universe with his New York Times-bestselling Star Wars trilogy.Then Kathy Tyers's The Truce at Bakura took readers back to the fateful days following the events in Return of the Jedi.And with The Courtship of Princess Leia Dave Wolverton chronicled Han Solo's turbulent campaign for the princess's hand.Now, awa

Published November 1st 1994 by Spectra

To ask other readers questions about The Crystal Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crystal Star

Rabindranauth
Arguably the worst Star Wars fan fiction novel ever written. Most definitely the worst I’ve ever read.

The Solo children have been kidnapped. The trail leads to a twisted Imperial officer with a disturbingly brilliant plan to restore the Galactic Empire to its former glory. As Leia attempts to find her missing children, Luke and Han Solo are tied up with the investigation of a lost group of Jedi. As their investigation zeroes in on a mysterious cult, they’re faced with a situation that threatens
John Yelverton
Great book with the original members of the original trilogy. After reading this book, I really wanted George Lucas to make this into a movie.
Guy Byars
I love Star Wars books. They're somewhat of a guilty pleasure, for me the extended universe is a fun little getaway place where something fun is always happening.

Except in The Crystal Star. Good Lord, this book is terrible. Do you remember Q from Star Trek? The guy who could travel through space/time with a thought and possessed omnipotent, omniscient power? Well, imagine a Star Wars version of Q that is an amorphous stinky blob with a series of severe mental handicaps.

Seriously. Except it is wo
Alanna
I love Star Wars, and am currently reading through the entire collection books, and every now and then, I read some that seem to take forever to get through. When reading a book, especially a Star Wars book, you know something is wrong.
All the characters are ill written, and seem like completely different people. There is a golden shelled thing that is implied to be a demon. What is up with that? There are somethings that just DON'T mesh with Star Wars, and demons (along with the zombie atrocity
Ron
If not the worst, then one of the worst Star Wars books. Derivative, repetitive plot. (Getting tired of secret dark-side disciples of Palpatine or Vader. What happened to the Rule of Two?)

Cute idea voicing a five year old's POV, but McIntyre should have spent more time with five year olds. She portrayed Jaina as capable of physics beyond many high school graduates.
Lauren
For some reason this has been one of my favorite books in the Star wars EU series for years. It's one of the few I felt compelled to buy.
Carly
One of my personal favorites. I always enjoy reading about the Solo twins.
Paul Phelan
It is my opinion that the time when this book was published, was a black era for the Star Wars novels line. From the high standards set by Timothy Zahn, to the very decent Kevin J. Anderson and X-Wing novels of the time, it was most probable that the ineveitable dip in quality would happen.

The book suffers from the fact that there is little to no character development within its pages. When this is coupled with the fact a lot of the major players are written out of character, a good compelling
Crystal Starr Light
You know something is wrong when Leia says "Piloting was more fun than being a Jedi!"
Oh no! Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin have been kidnapped on Munto Codru, while their mother, Leia, is touring the more peaceful worlds of the New Republic. The official on Munto Codru are convinced it is a "normal" kidnapping, but Leia thinks otherwise and leaves with Chewie and Artoo to find her children. Meanwhile, Han and Luke go vacationing to Crseih Station in pursuit of Jedi.
NOTE: This is a review based on the
Matthew Bowers
I so wanted to like this book. Apart from wanting to like EVERY book I read, I knew that this was perhaps the most loathed book in the Star Wars Expanded Universe, and part of me wanted to provide a contrarian opinion.

Alas, I cannot. Written with the sophistication and the vocabulary of a fifth grader, and an understanding of plot and sentence structure that Kevin J. Anderson or those Left Behind guys would sneer at, this is one of the worst-written books I've read in a long time, hands down. Th
Mark Oppenlander
This is a disappointing entry in the Expanded Universe canon. Vonda McIntyre is a respected sci-fi writer who has won both Hugo and Nebula awards. I have enjoyed some of her earlier Star Trek novelizations. So how she produced this sub-par Star Wars book is a bit of a mystery.

I won't bother you much with the plot except to say that it deals with some pretty stale Star Wars tropes, including the kidnapping of the Solo children (again), the attempt by a former Imperial official, now in hiding (how
Stephen Shores
This is one of the most unusual Star Wars novels I've read...but I can't quite pinpoint why I feel that way. It hits the ground running and maintains a decent pace throughout.

The children of Han and Leia step to the forefront here, which I was honestly dreading because I anticipated that their dialogue and actions would be cheesy and unrealistic, but as a father, I found their segments not only realistic but enjoyable. I felt the grief and the joy of Han and Leia as they were separated from and
Bryan
This book never really feels like A Star Wars story. All of the familiar characters are there, but the plot seems like a generic sci-fi story moulded to fit into the Star Wars Universe, rather than something inspired by it. The writing style and pacing was awful, and many of the character motivations seemed suspect. The only positive was how mercifully short this novel was. An easy read, but not worth it.
Nick
Many others have spelled out just how terrible this book is. Everyone is completely out of character and the plot, as much as it can be said to have a plot, feels like something from a completely different universe.

If you are intent on reading most of the Expanded Universe books, you can safely skip this one. Nothing happens to the characters in any meaningful way, and the events are pretty much ignored by the future books. Though there is one book, I think in the New Jedi Order set, that makes
Terri Paxton
The adventure itself is a decent sci fi, although not the normal type for Star Wars. However, it really focuses on Han, Leia and the kids more than the adventure in some ways and to me this is the part that works.

The bad:
Luke doesn't seem in character, he seems whiney and ill, fretting over whether Han and Leia's relationship. At this stage in life, after founding the Jedi Academy, it is anything but Jedi to beg an unknown alien for help.

C3PO with a coat of paint makes no sense, there are far
Jerome
Ugh. One of the dullest Star Wars tales ever written.The novel includes centaurs, werewolves, and Luke Skywalker joining an evil cult led by a golden blob. Also, the Solo kids are kidnapped (again) by a rogue Imperial officer. Why? You never really understand. This book’s story sucks as much as the black hole that appears so often in the book.

Character development is very weak. All of the characters are erratic--Leia hates Chewbacca because her kids were kidnapped on his watch, for example--and
Ari
This was a really good book. Sometimes its hard to forget that Vader did not kill all jedi, just the good ones. The Solo kids are kidnapped by Hethrir, an evil jedi, who wants to sacrafice Anakin to Waru in-order to increase his, Hethrir's connection to the force. Leia goes after them while Han and Luke go on a mission. Natuarlly at the end all story arcs colide and a great ending. McInryre does a great job of story telling and this book really is a lot of fun.
Tom Parent
I can sum this book up in one word. Terrible. This has to be the worst Star Wars novel in existence, this space turd of a novel makes Planet of Twilight look amazing. However, if you don't want to take my word for it, look for it in a used book store but don't pay more than you would for a roll of toilet paper because in the off chance that this used book store takes refunds, at least you could use it to wipe your ass when you finish it.
Eric Moreno
John Da conceição
I'm not sure why this book gets so much hate lumped on it; it's actually not that bad. The three major criticisms I see hurled its way are Luke being out of character, Han flirting with another woman, and Leia being dismissive of her Jedi abilities. Well, there's a story reason for the first two and something of a character reason for the third. I won't discuss those here for spoiler reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I would not mark this as one of the best Star Wars books ever written, but nor do I
Ian Reay
Although there have been many reviews putting this book down, I liked it.
Leia and Han's children have been kidnapped. Along with Chewie and Artoo-Detoo she followes the kidnappers trail, and discovers that it is much deeper than a simple kidnapping. While Luke, Han, Threepio are on planet called Creseih, which one of it's stars is dying, and causing a disruption in the force, and is cutting off Leia and Luke from contacting each other through the force. Also on Creseih is a mysterious alien name
Wealhtheow
I don't remember much about this book except that Han and Leia's children are finally old enough to have personalities. Jacen is a sweet kid, Jaina loves taking apart various droids, and Anakin is far too powerful in the Force for his own good.
Jessica
Another really great piece of Star Wars fiction. This book presented some really unique plot lines, and a new character I loved - which is really saying something for me, since I tend to cling to movie canon with Star Wars stuff.
Wesley
Okay, I'm pretty good at understanding weird and bizarre Sci-fi plots, but this one made my head spin. It did not work as a Star Wars novel and though I actually read this book over 12 years ago, I want that lost time back.
Kathryn
Huh, I could have sworn I'd reviewed this at some point. Okay, well, "The Crystal Star" is...not very good. The characterizations are kinda off (especially Luke, wow, what the heck?), the story is in some parts WAY too simplistic (we're off to rescue the children from this universe's stand-in for the Nazi's...I mean the Empire), and some of the dialogue is just awful (The phrase, "I WILL tell you his name," repeated over and over for some kind of folk-tale emphasis is painful to read).

And? I enj
Heather
I particularly enjoyed this book. Of course, I love anything involving Jaina Solo, and it was great to see the young Solo children dealing with their kidnapping and getting into mischief. ^_^
Mauri
Except for the weird-ass Ultimate Baddie, I enjoyed this. I liked the kidnapping plot and all of the little Jedi kids. But that weird thing...wow. I have no words except for weird.
Labri
This book shows the limitations of the Force: never have a Force-activated Lightsaber! Especially when you're in the same area as a crystal star...
Wuher
Right from the beginning: Leia’s children have been stolen, Chewbacca injured, along with Han Solo and Luke Skywalker gone on a Jedi scavenger hunt. Leia feels helpless, and will not stop until her children are safe. She quickly decides that she must rescue her children from the possible Dark side influence that she felt. Vonda McIntyre’s The Crystal Star is a great, moving novel that develops unexplored concepts and characters of its time. Although the book does develop for the first time multi ...more
Whitney
This has always been my favorite Star Wars novel.
  • The New Rebellion (Star Wars)
  • Planet of Twilight (Star Wars)
  • Assault at Selonia (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #2)
  • Shield of Lies (Star Wars: The Black Fleet Crisis, #2)
  • Darksaber (Star Wars)
  • The Courtship of Princess Leia (Star Wars)
  • The Truce at Bakura (Star Wars)
  • The Unseen Queen (Star Wars: Dark Nest, #2)
  • The Approaching Storm (Star Wars)
  • Slave Ship (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #2)
  • Jedi Eclipse (Agents of Chaos, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #5)
  • Battle Surgeons (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #4) (Medstar, #1)
Vonda Neel McIntyre is a U.S. science fiction author. She is one of the first successful graduates of the Clarion Science fiction writers workshop. She attended the workshop in 1970. By 1973 she had won her first Nebula Award, for the novelette "Of Mist, and Grass and Sand." This later became part of the novel Dreamsnake, which won both the Hugo and Nebula Awards. The novelette and novel both conc ...more
More about Vonda N. McIntyre...

Star Wars Universe (1 - 10 of 48 books)
  • Red Harvest (Star Wars)
  • Knight Errant (Star Wars)
  • Jedi vs. Sith
  • Darth Plagueis (Star Wars)
  • Secrets of the Jedi
  • The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Darth Maul
  • Cloak of Deception (Star Wars)
  • The Truce at Bakura (Star Wars)
  • Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (Star Wars)
Dreamsnake Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2) Enterprise: The First Adventure Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #3) The Entropy Effect