Start by marking “American Popular Music: From Minstrelsy to MP3” as Want to Read:
American Popular Music: From Minstrelsy to MP3

American Popular Music: From Minstrelsy to MP3

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  4 reviews
In American Popular Music: From Minstrelsy to MP3, Second Edition, Larry Starr and Christopher Waterman examine popular music in the United States from its beginnings into the 21st century, offering a comprehensive look at the music, the cultural history of the times, and the connections between them. Using well-chosen examples, insightful commentaries, and an engaging wri...more
Paperback + 2 CDs, 515 pages
Published December 6th 2006 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about American Popular Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Popular Music

Corinne
I had to read this for my *gasp* American Popular Music course. Except I had the second edition which I do believe had a lot more Latin music content.
It was a bit dry at times, but then again if you had to read the entire thing in two weeks you'd get pretty sick of it too. All in all it was pretty interesting and I learned alot from it. The CDs are also nice if you're open to expanding your music tastes.

Chantaal
BOOM, done. Five week online music course, SEE YOU NEVER.

As someone who loves music but never really studied it, this was a very interesting text to read for my Appreciation of American Popular Music class.

Otherwise, it's a bit dry and if you're not really into the history (or aren't reading it for class) then it's tough to slog through. Interesting, but tough.
Tiennie
I read this for my History of American Music Class. It was very informative and interesting. Enjoyed learning more about music and musicians and the political/cultural/social issues surrounding each genre during their popularity.
Nichole
Read this for an American Popular Music course. Informative text, but like most textbooks, too dry to be interesting.
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Tania
Tania marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Brogan
Brogan added it
Aug 26, 2014
Paradiddle
Paradiddle marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Erika Schoeps
Erika Schoeps is currently reading it
Aug 05, 2014
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Faerie
Faerie is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2014
Jay Shon
Jay Shon marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
David Amlung
David Amlung marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
American Popular Music: The Rock Years Rock: A Canadian Perspective A Union of Diversities: Style in the Music of Charles Ives George Gershwin American Popular Music: From Minstrelsy to MTV Text & Audio CDs