Start by marking “The Canopy Of Time” as Want to Read:
The Canopy Of Time

The Canopy Of Time

Published May 1975 by New Eng. Lib. (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Canopy Of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Canopy Of Time

Manny
Nov 27, 2008 Manny rated it really liked it
This collection of poetic/satirical short stories has some gems. My favourite, which also appears in several other collections, is But Who Can Replace A Man?

It's a future world inhabited almost entirely by robots, who are categorised from Level 10 to Level 1 depending on how smart they are. One day, a thrilling rumour emerges: there are no more men! The last one has just died.

The robots realise they now free, and uncertainly start to organise their own society. The action focusses on one little
Simon
Feb 23, 2011 Simon rated it really liked it
I don't tend to read much of Aldiss' work these days although I've read quite a bit in the past. He has some great classics to his name but I've also encountered some of his more mediocre pieces so I had cooled a bit towards him. I've had this quite early collection sitting on my to-read shelf for some time and it was my involvement in a reading group that caused me to get around to it. I'm glad I did.

This is a collection of originally unrelated stories that have been retrospectively arranged (a
Pablo Flores
Dec 19, 2013 Pablo Flores rated it it was ok
Cuentos cortos con una ilación que se va haciendo más consistente hacia el final, pero nunca termina de cerrar del todo. El libro tiene sus años y no ha envejecido bien. Hay licencias poéticas tan grandes con la ciencia que a veces parece un libro de los años 1920. En otros casos evidentemente a Aldiss no le interesó mantener la verosimilitud científica. Lo mismo pasa en Invernáculo, pero con muchos mejores resultados.

Lo peor de todo es la audacia de plantear un marco temporal que va desde el pr
Alayne
Dec 08, 2015 Alayne rated it really liked it
I found this book in a second-hand bookshop. Published in 1959, it is a series of short stories all connected with a paragraph at the beginning of each one. It is a fascinating book taking in the life of humans for "10 million times 10 million years". (That's a figure I can't even get my head around!) The only thing that I felt was a discrepancy which shows the book's age, was the idea that Earth is near the centre of the galaxy. I'm not sure when we found out it is out on the edge, but that was ...more
Apr 17, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
Brian Aldiss wrote 'But Who Can Replace a Man', which is one of my favourite short stories ever. I found it included in this collection of some of Aldiss' other work, and so couldn't resist reading it. I thoroughly enjoyed it, although none of the other stories managed to displace my original favourite.
Mars
Jun 01, 2014 Mars rated it it was ok
This book would have been amazing... if it was written by someone else.

There is scope of vision, and interesting scenarios, and the universe is somewhat fascinating, and gorgeous scenes at times, but the actual writing and stories leave me utterly cold.
Antonio J. Pizarro
No es un mal libro, pero tampoco es especialmente bueno. O quizás se me haya pasado la edad para este tipo de ciencia ficción. Creo que con las ideas de este libro se podría haber hecho una obra mejor.
Peter
May 13, 2012 Peter rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Short story collection - some better than others
Larry
Mar 14, 2010 Larry rated it it was ok
I kinda liked some of the stories,was bored with others. On the whole it was ok with some forward thinking ideas from a book written in the late 50s!
Zantaeus Glom
Zantaeus Glom rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2013
David Roth
David Roth rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2014
Pablo Ramírez
Pablo Ramírez rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2014
Graham Vingoe
Graham Vingoe rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2012
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2014
Mike Lowndes
Mike Lowndes rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Danny Fahey
Danny Fahey rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2012
Tom Loock
Tom Loock rated it liked it
May 12, 2012
Brian Wharry
Brian Wharry rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2012
James Eckman
James Eckman rated it it was ok
Nov 28, 2015
Andy
Andy rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2011
Purblind
Purblind rated it really liked it
May 17, 2013
Paul Bryant
Paul Bryant rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2016
Goldstein
Goldstein rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
Blaine
Blaine rated it liked it
May 24, 2015
Nancy Townsend
Nancy Townsend rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2014
Kees Bijker
Kees Bijker rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2014
Nicole Goodman
Nicole Goodman rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Allan
Allan rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2011
Vlad Ivan
Vlad Ivan rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Pseudonyms: Jael Cracken, Peter Pica, John Runciman, C.C. Shackleton, Arch Mendicant, & "Doc" Peristyle.

Brian Wilson Aldiss is one of the most important voices in science fiction writing today. He wrote his first novel while working as a bookseller in Oxford. Shortly afterwards he wrote his first work of science fiction and soon gained international recognition. Adored for his innovative liter
More about Brian W. Aldiss...