Start by marking “The Canopy Of Time” as Want to Read:
The Canopy Of Time

The Canopy Of Time (Caralt ciencia ficción #16)

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Published May 1975 by New Eng. Lib. (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Canopy Of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Canopy Of Time

Manny
This collection of poetic/satirical short stories has some gems. My favourite, which also appears in several other collections, is But Who Can Replace A Man?

It's a future world inhabited almost entirely by robots, who are categorised from Level 10 to Level 1 depending on how smart they are. One day, a thrilling rumour emerges: there are no more men! The last one has just died.

The robots realise they now free, and uncertainly start to organise their own society. The action focusses on one little
Simon
I don't tend to read much of Aldiss' work these days although I've read quite a bit in the past. He has some great classics to his name but I've also encountered some of his more mediocre pieces so I had cooled a bit towards him. I've had this quite early collection sitting on my to-read shelf for some time and it was my involvement in a reading group that caused me to get around to it. I'm glad I did.

This is a collection of originally unrelated stories that have been retrospectively arranged (a
Pablo Flores
Cuentos cortos con una ilación que se va haciendo más consistente hacia el final, pero nunca termina de cerrar del todo. El libro tiene sus años y no ha envejecido bien. Hay licencias poéticas tan grandes con la ciencia que a veces parece un libro de los años 1920. En otros casos evidentemente a Aldiss no le interesó mantener la verosimilitud científica. Lo mismo pasa en Invernáculo, pero con muchos mejores resultados.

Lo peor de todo es la audacia de plantear un marco temporal que va desde el pr
Mars
This book would have been amazing... if it was written by someone else.

There is scope of vision, and interesting scenarios, and the universe is somewhat fascinating, and gorgeous scenes at times, but the actual writing and stories leave me utterly cold.
Brian Aldiss wrote 'But Who Can Replace a Man', which is one of my favourite short stories ever. I found it included in this collection of some of Aldiss' other work, and so couldn't resist reading it. I thoroughly enjoyed it, although none of the other stories managed to displace my original favourite.
Larry
I kinda liked some of the stories,was bored with others. On the whole it was ok with some forward thinking ideas from a book written in the late 50s!
Peter
Short story collection - some better than others
Adi
Adi marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Javi
Javi added it
Oct 31, 2014
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Shaun Onstenk
Shaun Onstenk marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Jason Dykes
Jason Dykes marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Patrick Smith
Patrick Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Darin
Darin marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
thurisaz
thurisaz marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Pseudonyms: Jael Cracken, Peter Pica, John Runciman, C.C. Shackleton, Arch Mendicant, & "Doc" Peristyle.

Brian Wilson Aldiss is one of the most important voices in science fiction writing today. He wrote his first novel while working as a bookseller in Oxford. Shortly afterwards he wrote his first work of science fiction and soon gained international recognition. Adored for his innovative liter
More about Brian W. Aldiss...
Non-Stop Helliconia Spring (Helliconia, #1) Hothouse Helliconia Winter (Helliconia, #3) Helliconia Summer (Helliconia, #2)