Start by marking “El extraño caso del Dr. Jekyll y Mr. Hyde” as Want to Read:
El extraño caso del Dr. Jekyll y Mr. Hyde

El extraño caso del Dr. Jekyll y Mr. Hyde

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  228,937 Ratings  ·  6,723 Reviews
In September of 1884, Robert Louis Stevenson, then in his mid-thirties, moved with his family to Bournemouth, a resort on the southern coast of England, where in the brief span of 23 months he revised A Child's Garden of Verses and wrote the novels Kidnapped and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

An intriguing combination of fantasy thriller and moral allegory, Dr
Published 1994 by Círculo de Lectores, S.A. (first published January 5th 1886)

To ask other readers questions about El extraño caso del Dr. Jekyll y Mr. Hyde, please sign up.

Sherry Elmer I think it is more appalling than "scary." If it is scary, it is scary in a good way, in that it scares us not to act as Dr. Jekyll chose to act.…moreI think it is more appalling than "scary." If it is scary, it is scary in a good way, in that it scares us not to act as Dr. Jekyll chose to act. There is, however, a senseless, brutal murder, so if you are asking in regard to a child reading this, take that into account as you decide.(less)

Oct 31, 2014 Ariel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites

This edition came with two stories, "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" and "The Bottle Imp," and they were both awesome let's talk about them. I'm so excited I can't contain myself.

- So. Well. Crafted. From beginning to end the story was engaging and the themes where quite straightforward, but I really love that in writing (see: George Orwell is my favourite author). I like it when authors aren't bogging their messages down in unnee
Jeffrey Keeten
”It came about that Edward Hyde was so much smaller, slighter, and younger than Henry Jekyll. Even as good shone upon the countenance of the one, evil was written broadly and plainly on the face of the other. Evil besides (which I must still believe to be the lethal side of man) had left on that body an imprint of deformity and decay. And yet when I looked upon that ugly idol in the glass, I was conscious of no repugnance rather of a leap of welcome.

This too, was myself.”

photo Jekyll-mansfield_zps5229ba58.jpg
Richard Mansfield was
KUDOS, KUDOS and more KUDOS to you, Mr. Stevenson!! First, for bringing me more happy than a Slip N Slide on a scorching summer day by providing Warner Bros with the inspiration for one of my favorite cartoons, Hyde and Go Tweet:
...I mean who didn't love giant, cat-eating Tweety Hyde.

Second, and more seriously, when I tardily returned to your classic gothic novella as an adult, you once again red-lined my joy meter with the strength and eloquence of your story craft. You story is the gift that
This Stevenson guy totally ripped off Stan Lee's Hulk character!

I mean, did this dude seriously think he could get away with what basically boils down to a copy & paste job of one of the most iconic literary characters in comics?!
I. Think. Not.
Stan, my friend, you have a real chance at winning a copyright infringement lawsuit.
(view spoiler)
Bookdragon Sean
Robert Louis Stevenson was a man who knew how to play his audience. Utterson, the primary point of view character for this novel, is a classic Victorian gentleman; he is honest, noble and trustworthy; he is the last reputable acquaintance of down going men like Henry Jekyll. So, by having a character who evokes the classic feelings of Victorian realism narrate the abnormal encounterings, it gives it credibility; it gives it believability; thus, the story is scarier because if a man such as Utter ...more
What I learned reading Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?

By Jeff

1) Some things are better left unsaid. Really? Who knows how Hyde indulged himself? Hookers? Pirating? Running an orphan sweat shop? Booze? Opium? Ripping the “Do Not Remove under Penalty of Law” labels from mattresses?

2) Never have a nosy lawyer as a best friend. Who the hell hangs out with lawyers?

3) My evil Hyde would not be a top hat wearing, monkey-like Juggernaut. Sorry, he would be more Dean Martin-esque, a la “The Nutty Professor.

A veeeeeeeery short buddy-read with: Buddy Loooooove, Too much Buddy Love aka I want to be called The Nutty Professor, I love everybody Buddy Love, What did I do to deserve this Buddy Love?, Gimmie some Buddy Love....aaaaaand My brand new Buddy Love. Whew! Did I get everyone???

I am not a classic book reader- I fall under the category that some snobbish readers would call a fluffy reader..a reader for entertainment purposes only- Not a reader for intellectual growth. The classics were read in m
J.G. Keely
After the overblown Frankenstein and the undercooked Dracula, it's pleasant to find that the language and pacing of the third great pillar of horror is so forceful and deliberate (especially since I was disappointed by Stevenson's other big work, Treasure Island). But then, this is a short story, and it's somewhat easier to carry off the shock, horror, and mystery over fewer pages instead of drawing it out like Shelley and Stoker into a grander moralizing tale.

But Stevenson still manages to get
Raeleen Lemay
Oct 14, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, classics
IF ONLY the revelation halfway through this had been unknown to me before reading it, I probably would have enjoyed this book more. It was good, but knowing what the twist is can really bring a story down for me.

This book is also very simple and to-the-point, which isn't always my favourite style of writing. I would have enjoyed for the story to be more drawn out, preferably with an addition of at least another hundred pages.
Sep 29, 2016 Evgeny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The story is widely known and very influential. It was retold and replayed countless number of times by practically everywhere and everybody, including one of the best cartoon series of all the time, Looney Tunes:
Looney Tunes
For this reason people writing blurbs for the book decided it is quite fine to take a lazy route and give spoiler right away. At least in my opinion something revealed only in the last chapter should be considered a spoiler.

I am going to assume there are people who have no clue what th
Oct 15, 2016 Apatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
“I have become a monster! I must find a place where I can hide! That’s it! I shall call myself…” DUN-DUN-DUUUUN!!!
“Mr. Where-I-can!”

The above is paraphrased from a “Morecambe & Wise” Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde sketch, they don’t often make me laugh, but this one is gold!

Not so much "The Strange Case" as the "Overly Familiar Case". The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is one of those stories that practically everybody knows so few people bother to read the original text. The original Fr
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
It seems like I've been familiar with the "good" Dr. Jekyll and the "evil" Mr. Hyde all my life, but the thing that most struck me, once I finally got around to actually reading this classic novella, is--other than their outward appearance--how alike these two aspects of the same man actually are.

Dr. Jekyll has always been aware of the duality in his character: he admits to some apparently fairly serious youthful indiscretions, and even when he consciously puts his vices behind him for a time,
I have a memory from childhood related to Robert Louis Stevenson.
I shared a bedroom with an older sister, and at night, after lights out, we’d ask each other questions about books and authors, easy questions such as 'Who wrote Black Beauty?' or ‘What famous children's book was written by Captain Marryat?' (We only had very old books in our house as we lived deep in the country far from any bookshops. Enid Blyton never even reached us).
But sometimes my sister would pull a more challenging title o
This book was the start of my on-going love story with gothic fiction. Definitely one of my favorite classics in one of my favorite genres. I highly recommend this!
Oct 21, 2016 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fantasy, satire
I had hoped that a re-read would have increased my appreciation of this old, albeit classic, tale, but alas, I still just find it *okay*. I can't complain about the style because I've read a lot of Stevenson's contemporaries. I can't complain that it's not "fantastic or gruesome" enough, because it does have a certain low-level miasma of hysteria that works fine as a thriller.

What I can and want to complain about is something that has annoyed me about these people from day one. The insistence th
Franco  Santos
Hace rato que tenía pendiente este clásico del terror. Me gustó. En algunos momentos se me hizo bastante pesado, pero las últimas páginas valieron todo el esfuerzo. Quizás si no hubiese sabido el final, lo hubiera disfrutado mucho más.

Es una historia que nos muestra la sombra detrás de la sonrisa; la lucha interna entre el rescoldo y la llama.
By day, the mild-mannered Dr. Jekyll mouths platitudes about trickledown economics in front of a teleprompter while vaguely apologizing. By night, the demoniacal Mr. Hyde stands in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoots people. Will the US electorate realize what's happening before it's too late?
Mar 18, 2015 Mario rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm so glad that I decided to re-read this book, because I enjoyed it so much more than the first time. And I have no idea why I didn't like it this much first time around. I guess I rushed through it to get to the end. And I just remember that I found some parts really boring to read. Well this time, not a single page was boring.
I also really like how creepy the story was, and how well everything was explained in the end. This is that kind of a book that will make you think after you finish it
Do you know what a "Jekyll and Hyde" character is? Of course you do. It is one of the descriptions, originally in a piece of literature, which has now become accepted in our vernacular. And there are many renditions of the story, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and countless references to it in all aspects of life. Quite an achievement for a slim Victorian volume written by the Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson, and published in 1886.

"Man is not truly one, but truly two."

So ass
Jun 03, 2016 Nikoleta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Το ρομαντικό κίνημα ήρθε στο φως στα τέλη του 18ου αιώνα για να υμνήσει (πάντα με λυρισμό, και όπως λένε τον λυρισμό του «εγώ») το παρελθόν, τα ήθη, τους προγόνους, την φύση και άλλα πολλά. Ένα είδος που ξεπήδησε μέσα από τα σπλάχνα του αγγλικού ρομαντισμού, είναι το γοτθικό μυθιστόρημα, άκρως βρετανικό ξεχείλιζε ομιχλώδη τοπία , ασπρόμαυρα σκηνικά και πολύ τρόμο. Γεγονός είναι όμως ότι παρέμενε στα πρότυπα του αρχικού ρομαντισμού, παραθέτοντας ιστορίες για στοιχειωμένα σπίτια, πνεύματα και άλυτ ...more
Oct 31, 2012 B0nnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
It's a musical. It's a movie. It's a syndrome. It's...Miles Davis.

What is Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and why is everyone talking about it? Science gone wrong? Drug use? Insanity? Dual personality: good vs. evil? The hypocrisy of Victorian society? Is it about the beast within? Sexual repression?

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde has been absorbed into our culture so completely that it is difficult to separate fact from fiction. Here then are the facts. In my own words, I summarize exactly h
Robert Louis Stevenson's story ideas often came to him in dreams. He was awakened by his wife when he was thrashing around during a "fine bogey-tale". He developed it into this novella by writing straight through three days and nights. His wife suggested that he should add allegorical aspects to the horror story so he burned the first story, and rewrote it in another marathon writing session.

Dr Jekyll, a client and a friend of the lawyer Mr Utterson, has willed all his worldly possessions to Mr

My favorite thing about reading a classic is that I am usually way off in my pre-reading assessment of what it is. I love being wrong….in that scenario. When I think I know what a book is about and find out it’s something completely different is a great feeling. It’s even better when what it really is is better than what I thought it was….Follow me so far?

Great! Let’s keep going!

Here’s what I thought it was (try not to laugh too hard):

I thought that Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was a tale of split pe
K.D. Absolutely
Nov 07, 2011 K.D. Absolutely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 501 Must Read Books, 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006-2010)
The duality of man. There are both good and evil in everyone. Two-faced Janus in Roman mythology. Like Erika Kohut who passes by a sex show house on her way home from music conservatory school where she teaches in the morning in Elfiede Jelinek’s novel The Piano Teacher. This 1886 novel, Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde by Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson purports the belief that even in people who the society looks up to, there are some evil, thoughts or completely their other strange side, lurking ...more
Sep 30, 2016 Fabian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The appearances and superficiality motif appears as early on as the first sentence in this tense, tight, but ultimately convoluted smear of a novella. Count on countenance for good and sturdy bones in a story of detection...

Plus there are really nice framing devices on display here, a check-mark always in my book, like the letters within letters narrative, a nifty exercise, which is mighty cool. (Here, my favorite sentence from the Robert Louis Stevenson classic: "Jekyll had more than a
Jan 18, 2008 Nathanial rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Laurel & Hardy
Shelves: horror
Here's the plot, you all know it: a man, by arcane means, becomes another man. Now, here's the argument of the book: suspense comes from not knowing what questions to ask, not merely ignorance of their answers. Stevenson makes this technical argument by means of POV placement, interior monologues, and placement in time. He doesn't start the book by showing you Dr. Jekyll as he concocts his transformative substance and then becomes Mr. Hyde, as I had assumed he would. Instead, he begins with a se ...more
mai ahmd
Dec 28, 2011 mai ahmd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: روايات
شاهدت العديد من الأفلام المستمدة من هذه الرواية الكلاسيكية الخالدة لكن قراءة الرواية شيء آخر تماما أكثر جمالا وأكثر متعة
ربما لأن أغلب الأفلام استخدمت الفكرة في أفلام رعب وبعضها بطريقة ساخرة
ربما لأنها لم تركز على المغزى الحقيقي من هذه الحكاية
الرواية جادة وصاحبها يود أن يرسل لنا رسالة هذه هي رواية الوحوش النائمة التي تسكن في البشر وتحتاج للخروج أحيانا
أليس في كل واحد منا يسكن دكتور جيكل ومستر هايد

مناخ الرواية غامض ومثير غريب وممتع

Oct 20, 2016 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second time I'm reading this classic and I must say that my former rating did not do it justice. Maybe it is Mr. Stevenson's melancholic writing style that prompted my earlier rating. I can't actually remember. But having read it again today, I am revising my opinion.

The story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde has been incorporated in many tales, into comics even (in The League of the Extraordinary Gentlemen for example). In most of those tales Mr. Hyde is Hulk-like; brutish and big. In the
Aug 11, 2016 Irmak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kütüphanem
Çok net bir şey söyleyeceğim. Bu kitabı okumaya başlayacaksanız sakın ama SAKIN KİMSENİN YORUMUNU OKUMAYIN.
Ben böyle bir hataya düştüm ve kitaptaki olayı öğrendim. Çünkü okuduğum her yorumda bunu yazmışlardı. Bir insan neden böyle bir şey yaparak başkalarının hevesini kursağında bırakır hiç anlamış değilim. Ama kesinlikle bu kitaba hiç bir yorumu hatta arka kapak yazısını bile okumadan başlayın.
Kitabın olayını bile bile okuduğum halde severek okudum birde bilmeseydim benim için muhteşem bir ok
Liz BooksandStuff
May 03, 2016 Liz BooksandStuff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites

Honestly there is more to it, like the basic duality between a classicists society and the individual; but also the more simplified good versus evil, the civilized versus the uncivilized, the conscious and the unconscious, and a lot of other Freudian theories I cannot care less for.

Read it, knowing the pl
  • The Island of Dr. Moreau
  • Lisa And David
  • News from Nowhere
  • A Modest Proposal and Other Satirical Works
  • The Poison Belt (Professor Challenger, #2)
  • The Diary of a Nobody
Robert Louis (Balfour) Stevenson was a Scottish novelist, poet, and travel writer, and a leading representative of English literature. He was greatly admired by many authors, including Jorge Luis Borges, Ernest Hemingway, Rudyard Kipling and Vladimir Nabokov.

Most modernist writers dismissed him, however, because he was popular and did not write within their narrow definition of literature. It is o
More about Robert Louis Stevenson...

“Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm. ” 288 likes
“If he be Mr. Hyde" he had thought, "I shall be Mr. Seek.” 232 likes