Healing for Damaged Emotions (Recovering from the Memories that Cause our Pain)

Healing for Damaged Emotions (Recovering from the Memories that Cause our Pain)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  371 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Whether through our own fallen temperament, willful disobedience, or as a victim of the hurtful actions of others, many of us struggle with crippling emotions, among them perfectionism, depression and low self-worth. The pain is often present with us even though the incidents and relationships that caused it may be long past.

First published in 1981 and since translated int...more
Published 1991 by Chariot Victor Publishing (first published September 4th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Healing for Damaged Emotions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing for Damaged Emotions

Shana
This book changed my life. It helped repair relationships, boost self image and esteem, gave me a better insight of the Lord and what he wants of me, and I could go on and on. It took me a 5 months to finish it because it was working intensely for me. It is important to to it with the workbook.... It will change your life:). I never understood that God actually does love me until now. I've given it to family and friends.
Carrie
As someone who struggles with depression, I found this book to be really helpful. It has lots of good insights and helps us understand what depression really is. I found it particularly freeing for those of us who can sometimes feel that it's not "right" for a Christian to be depressed.
Jennifer Ryu
This book is one of my favorite religious books. Last year, when I was having a depressive disorder last semester, I read this book and helped out from it. The story is about how we can heal for damaged emotions. There are different cases about the people who have low self-esteem for themselves. I am the one of those people feel I do not have any confidence about me includes, my appearance or my personality and so on. Having a low confident, the reason is base on his or her backgrounds. I am th...more
I thought this book was excellent, and one of the best books to explain what it means to be a Christian and to be depressed.... I felt like this author had a balanced view and wasn't accusing people who have dealt with depression of being guilty of sin. He included information on the physical aspect, as well as the emotional, spiritual, and psychological. I also felt he understood how traumatic events in childhood affect how quickly a person can heal or what they struggle with. I felt that his v...more
Donita
Older book but still very relavent.
This book helps the Chrisitan realize that there are still human emotions; depression, anger, guilt, etc, that one still lives and deals with as a Chrisitan. These emotions do not make a person less of a Christian. There is hope and growth thru Jesus Christ and not always instant healing.
Elissa
Many years ago this book changed my life!!!
I was already a believer for a long time,
yet struggling with and because of my past.
The Lord used this book to help see Him and
my life better, and lead me to forgive and
move on... I'm forever thankful!
Thalia
Took me forever to get through this small book. Not because its hard to read. Just hard to swallow all the emotions it brought up. Great help in resolving abuse issues.
Robert
I don't have a review for this one.

If you have damaged emotions, you should read it.

Otherwise, no.
Marliss
I am reading another book that quotes David Seamands, so I decided to read this book. Seamands is right on target with everything he says. However, he misapplies a couple of things which I did not like.

The first was when he said that according to the old creeds, Christ died, was buried, went to hell, and on the third day He rose again. Seamands says this means that Christ experienced and understands the hell we go through living in this fallen world. Yes, Christ is qualified in every way to be...more
Troy Graulich
This read was definitely life changing for me. I stayed captivated throughout the entire book. It is going to be suggested to my small group of ladies as a fall study series, I sure hope we do it. I am planning on rereading again and spending more time allowing God to help me through some of the issues I was afraid to address.
Linette Grauluich
Leann
Great book for those Christians who have been hurt deeply, and those who love and/or counsel them. Perhaps the best line is to the effect of, "Salvation does not bring instant emotional healing." Healing is a process, and this book gets into the reasons behind today's symptoms and how to deal with underlying causes from a Biblical perspective.
Donna McDurfee
Important book

Important book

I wish I had read this book years ago when I first saw it. I believe God will use it to finally heal my damaged emotions. Thank you Dr. Seamands!
Kathryn Darragh
This is a book about emotional distress and healing from a Christian perspective. I found it extremely insightful and written in a reassuring, compassionate style. It has far more depth than the usual self-help books.
Jo
Had some good bits and I found a lot of the descriptions helpful. I didn't agree with everything he said but that is part of reading critically.
John Leek
Solid text with only illustrations being dated.

I read this book devotionally and am considering using it in a class form.

Either way I will read this book again.

It helped me in healing from some past hurts and does a great job at revealing the character of the whole Trinity.
Allen Crum
I cannot say enough good things about this book. It's a great read for anyone who has struggled with depression, works in ministry or both. This book will provide a great reminder that every emotion and feeling we have God has already felt through his Son Jesus Christ.
Tami
Sound teaching in David Seamands book. He explains how a person may become a perfectionist based on childhood experience and how it may lead to depression and other illnesses. He states the perfectionist mindset may distort your view of God as a loving father and provides information how to retrain your thinking using scripture to uplift and ultimately change your thinking. He stresses the importance of forgiveness and how withholding this gift may lead to emotional and mental illness.
Bob Flores
This was a pretty awesome little book. I loved the way he handles the issue of perfectionism in the church as it's one of the harder issues to tackle. I will be adding this to my repertoire of inner healing books and looking for other stuff he has written. I always knew him to be one of the pioneers of the inner healing movement, but never really had a chance to read anything by him until now. This is a definite recommend.
Daniel G.
During the four years I spent in a Christian cult as a teenager, the focus was on healing everything that was wrong with me. Many of the books I read then were useless, some became darlings and helped me get through challenges that had bothered me for years. This book falls in the middle. It's not brilliant, but it is useful and you may get something out of it if you want to break free from your past and end up free to love.
Ragy Nekhela
An amazing spiritual and psychological book. The author believes that all our psychological state of disease and health are created in our early childhood and they have a great influence on us however the number of year that pass by. It talks about guilt and grace, forgiveness, inferiority, perfectionism, depression, and many other things and the way to reveal these diseases and how to overcome with them.

Read in 2009
Amanda Bassett
I found this humble-looking book in a thrift store and decided to give it a try. I got some real revelation from it that I totally wasn't expecting. Sometimes I took the advice with a grain of salt, but overall it really spoke to me and forced me to look at the root of some emotional issues.
Lynne Burkholder
I like that he doesn't repeat himself! These kinds of books are not my favorite yet I found myself shaking my head with that shake that comes from new insights!
Mel
I've read dozens and dozens of self-help/self-improvement books over the years, but this is, by far, the best. Combine it with the corresponding workbook and there's virtually nothing you can't fix.
Karen
This book may prove to help those who struggle with low-self image, perfectionism, and/or depression. I think it would probably benefit in a deeper way if combined with the accompanying workbook.
Katy Sammons
When I read this book back in 2005, I really liked it. Since then, I have had training in Biblical counseling, and I have been made aware of some of the problems with this approach.
Lindsay
Too preachy for my taste. Didn't really read it, just flipped through because of the preachiness (I am fully aware that that is not a real word)
Cody
Some helpful thoughts, but pretty broad in its approach and application. Exegesis of Scripture is kinda weak.
Greg
Great book for those dealing with past hurts and desire to please others.
Lei Anne
not the exact book cover but nevertheless a great enlightenment for me.
Joel Curtiss
I appreciate this book in helping persons with damaged emotions.
Goodreads Librari...: no kindle edition 10 178 Jan 10, 2013 10:58AM
  • Handle with Prayer: Unwrap the Source of God's Strength for Living
  • Insignificant: Why You Matter in the Surprising Way God Is Changing the World
  • What Your Childhood Memories Say about You: And What You Can Do about It
  • A Place of Healing: Wrestling with the Mysteries of Suffering, Pain, and God's Sovereignty
  • True Community: The Biblical Practice of Koinonia
  • Coffee Shop Conversations: Making the Most of Spiritual Small Talk
  • How to Really Love Your Child
  • Telling Yourself the Truth
  • God's Love: How the Infinite God Cares for His Children
  • The Greatest Thing In the World
  • The Most Misused Verses in the Bible: Surprising Ways God's Word Is Misunderstood
  • Art of Neighboring, The: Building Genuine Relationships Right Outside Your Door
  • The 7-Day Doubt Diet
  • Becoming Your Spouse's Better Half: Why Differences Make a Marriage Great
  • Jesus in the Present Tense: The I AM Statements of Christ
  • People Can't Drive You Crazy if You Don't Give Them the Keys
  • The Four Seasons of Marriage
  • What's It Like to Be Married to Me?: And Other Dangerous Questions
Putting Away Childish Things Healing Grace: Finding a Freedom from the Performance Trap Healing of Memories Healing for Damaged Emotions: Workbook Freedom from the Performance Trap

“Many Christians... find themselves defeated by the most psychological weapon that Satan uses against them. This weapon has the effectiveness of a deadly missile. Its name? Low self-esteem. Satan's greatest psychological weapon is a gut level feeling of inferiority, inadequacy, and low self-worth This feeling shackles many Christians, in spite of wonderful spiritual experiences and knowledge of God's Word. Although they understand their position as sons and daughters of God, they are tied up in knots, bound by a terrible feeling inferiority, and chained to a deep sense of worthlessness.” 62 likes