Start by marking “National Lampoon's Doon” as Want to Read:
National Lampoon's Doon

National Lampoon's Doon (Lampoon Parodies)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  22 reviews
National Lampoon's Doon brings the hottest science fiction phenomenon ever to a new, hysterical foaming head.

In a distant galaxy, far, far away, a plot is brewing as vast and elaborate as the Empire itself . . . to harvest the wild pools of beer that grow only on Doon, take control of the native pretzel population, and turn the plucky little orb into the lounge-planet of t
Published November 1984 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about National Lampoon's Doon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about National Lampoon's Doon

Twilight by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerFlowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews
Books You're Ashamed to Admit that You Read
60th out of 64 books — 92 voters
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsWe Got Zombies On The Lawn Again, Ma by Donnie  SmithMe Talk Pretty One Day by David SedarisOne for the Money by Janet EvanovichLamb by Christopher Moore
Funniest Books Ever
153rd out of 192 books — 157 voters

More lists with this book...

Peter
Feb 09, 2009 Peter rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: science fiction fans, humor fans
A brilliant parody of Frank Herbert's Dune. Weiner's mimicry of Herbert's style is dead-on accurate. How he managed to successfully parody a huge tome in such a relatively slender book is beyond me.

I'd tried to read Dune at the age of ten, and I simply wasn't ready; I cried and threw the book across the room (not something I had ever done before or since). I bore a grudge against Frank Herbert for years. When I read Doon, I was delighted at the skewering of Herbert's style and plotting.

And yet..
Mike
Feb 19, 2011 Mike rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dune readers with a funny bone
Recommended to Mike by: A co-worker
It's been quite a while since I read the novel (correction, massive novel) "Dune", but I recall most of the segments of the original. Plus I've seen David Lynch's movie once or twice, too.

A friend told me of this book at least a year ago and, as he and I share many likes of fiction and popular culture (including "Bored of The Rings"), in due course I bought a used copy and put it in the to-read pile. Where it sat for months until this past weekend.

What all this is leading up to is that I wanted
Delicious Strawberry
This is actually a pretty clever parody of Dune. Not only does it parody the story itself, it also parodies Herbert's style of writing. If you have read Dune, you will see how it is parodied in here. Frank Herbert's writing could get pretty heady at times, and this book spoofs that with how some of the phrases are written. One phrase that stuck out to me was 'brain-filled mind' and that made me laugh. The aping of Herbert's multilayered storytelling really does tickle me.

Things in Dune are swapp
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/991806.html[return][return]This is the story of Pall Agamemnides, the Kumkwat Haagendazs, known to his followers as Mauve'Bib, and how he used the Freedmenmen of the planet Arruckus to take over the galactic empire by controlling the planet's vital export: beer.[return][return]Anyone familiar with both Bored of the Rings and Dune will be pretty unsurprised by this book, which takes deadly aim at the pretensions of Herbert's epic masterpiece. No need to go into details, ...more
Adam Bruski
I have to give it 4 stars. Not because it is a world-changing work of literature, but because it is incredibly good at what it does. This book is a perfect skewering of Herbert's themes and writing style. While I live both of those in the original Dune works, it is also enjoyable to take a step back and have a little fun at their expense.
David
I commend the author on a wonderful lampooning of Herbert's Dune. She captured and caricatured Herbert's writing style to such an extent that I laughed out loud many times. However, it got old at some point and I finished the book primarily because I wanted to see it through. Even so, I would still recommend Doon for the sake of its novelty.
Marianne
The way the author apes the writing style of Dune is immediately obvious and what I read of that was quite clever, but the constant ridiculous clever puns and the almost mirror-like comparisons to the series were not dynamic enough for me to enjoy the book.
Todd
My favorite line from this book - from the insult battle that spoofs the crysknife fight from the original: "I'd rather be a man like a woman drinking a beer without a head than a man without a head drinking beer without a woman."
David
Like most parody books, I felt it fell apart fairly early on. But there were some choice laugh-out-loud (LOL before there was LOL!) moments at the beginning of the book that were pure brilliance. At least when I was younger.
Christy Leonardo
This is a lolworthy long con of the strangest type -- a gag-encrusted, style-obsessed parody (addressing a remarkably narrow audience) that exists mainly to reaffirm that Herbert's greatest efforts are impenetrable.
Robert Taylor
This was laugh-out-loud funny, with some jokes so hilarious that they leave you crying! This is a book that every reader of Dune should get and devour!
Skyring
Apr 14, 2013 Skyring marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Shari Scott
Hilarious if you have read or are a fan of Frank Herbert's Dune. Not so much if you haven't read the book or seen the movies. Enjoy!
Charles
This is an exquisitely executed parody (but you've got to have read the original for the full effect).
Ben  Davis
Yeeeeeeeeeeeah Baby! I couldn't stop laughing. I liked the original by the way.
Peter
"Mauve Bib" and "Missionaria Phoneybalonica" indeed. :-DDD
BakuDreamer
Actually read this before reading the Herbert novel
Dave Peticolas

A bad parody of a good book.

murph
Doon. Aruckus. Dessert planet.
Neil
Was a pretty poor parody.
Aaron
I laughed a lot :)
Don
Classic satire.
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Lana-Rae
Lana-Rae marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Henk
Henk marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Barefoot in the Head (Corgi SF Collector's Library)
  • Fractions: The First Half of The Fall Revolution
  • Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction
  • A Tolkien Miscellany
  • The Fall of Colossus
  • Bored of the Rings: A Parody of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
  • Eyeheart Everything
  • And Chaos Died
  • More Money Than Brains: Why Schools Suck, College is Crap, and Idiots Think They're Right
  • Making Things Talk: Practical Methods for Connecting Physical Objects
  • Andy Rooney: 60 Years of Wisdom and Wit
  • Visionary in Residence: Stories
  • As the World Burns: 50 Simple Things You Can Do to Stay in Denial
  • Incandescence
The Templeton Twins Have an Idea (Templeton Twins, #1) Yiddish with Dick and Jane How to Raise a Jewish Dog The Templeton Twins Make a Scene (Templeton Twins, #2) Letters from Cicely