Start by marking “National Lampoon's Doon” as Want to Read:
National Lampoon's Doon

National Lampoon's Doon (Lampoon Parodies)

National Lampoon's Doon brings the hottest science fiction phenomenon ever to a new, hysterical foaming head.

In a distant galaxy, far, far away, a plot is brewing as vast and elaborate as the Empire itself . . . to harvest the wild pools of beer that grow only on Doon, take control of the native pretzel population, and turn the plucky little orb into the lounge-planet of t
Published November 1984 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about National Lampoon's Doon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about National Lampoon's Doon

Peter
Feb 09, 2009 Peter rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: science fiction fans, humor fans
A brilliant parody of Frank Herbert's Dune. Weiner's mimicry of Herbert's style is dead-on accurate. How he managed to successfully parody a huge tome in such a relatively slender book is beyond me.

I'd tried to read Dune at the age of ten, and I simply wasn't ready; I cried and threw the book across the room (not something I had ever done before or since). I bore a grudge against Frank Herbert for years. When I read Doon, I was delighted at the skewering of Herbert's style and plotting.

And yet..
Zora
May 30, 2017 Zora rated it really liked it
Thought of this the past week when I read the not-very-funny parody of Twilight . This actually was funny, with some great lines and eerily accurate mimicry of Herbert's prose style. No longer have the book but remember howling over the scene where the freemenmen and Poll are discussing whether to call him man, boy, or what, and they do finally come to an agreement which I fear I am going to misquote. "You shall be called man-teen and there be an end t'it."
Marianne
Dec 07, 2008 Marianne rated it did not like it
Shelves: gone, sci-fi, humor, dont-read
The way the author apes the writing style of Dune is immediately obvious and what I read of that was quite clever, but the constant ridiculous clever puns and the almost mirror-like comparisons to the series were not dynamic enough for me to enjoy the book.
David
Feb 17, 2009 David rated it really liked it
Like most parody books, I felt it fell apart fairly early on. But there were some choice laugh-out-loud (LOL before there was LOL!) moments at the beginning of the book that were pure brilliance. At least when I was younger.
Shari Scott
Nov 06, 2013 Shari Scott rated it liked it
Hilarious if you have read or are a fan of Frank Herbert's Dune. Not so much if you haven't read the book or seen the movies. Enjoy!
Kevin Jonker
Of all the parodies I've ever read, this one stands out as my absolute favorite. Weiner successfully parodies not only the events of the source material, but also the language. I still love the Boni Maroni Litany Against Fun.
Ana
Jan 18, 2017 Ana rated it liked it
A land of giant pretzels & beer was a ridiculous/insane read. Wish I read Dune though. Ah well. I'd recommend it if you need a light read &/or laugh.
Mike
Feb 19, 2011 Mike rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Dune readers with a funny bone
Recommended to Mike by: A co-worker
It's been quite a while since I read the novel (correction, massive novel) "Dune", but I recall most of the segments of the original. Plus I've seen David Lynch's movie once or twice, too.

A friend told me of this book at least a year ago and, as he and I share many likes of fiction and popular culture (including "Bored of The Rings"), in due course I bought a used copy and put it in the to-read pile. Where it sat for months until this past weekend.

What all this is leading up to is that I wanted
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/991806.html[return][return]This is the story of Pall Agamemnides, the Kumkwat Haagendazs, known to his followers as Mauve'Bib, and how he used the Freedmenmen of the planet Arruckus to take over the galactic empire by controlling the planet's vital export: beer.[return][return]Anyone familiar with both Bored of the Rings and Dune will be pretty unsurprised by this book, which takes deadly aim at the pretensions of Herbert's epic masterpiece. No need to go into details, ...more
M Strawberry Reviews
Nov 14, 2012 M Strawberry Reviews rated it it was amazing
This is actually a pretty clever parody of Dune. Not only does it parody the story itself, it also parodies Herbert's style of writing. If you have read Dune, you will see how it is parodied in here. Frank Herbert's writing could get pretty heady at times, and this book spoofs that with how some of the phrases are written. One phrase that stuck out to me was 'brain-filled mind' and that made me laugh. The aping of Herbert's multilayered storytelling really does tickle me.

Things in Dune are swapp
David
May 30, 2012 David rated it liked it
I commend the author on a wonderful lampooning of Herbert's Dune. She captured and caricatured Herbert's writing style to such an extent that I laughed out loud many times. However, it got old at some point and I finished the book primarily because I wanted to see it through. Even so, I would still recommend Doon for the sake of its novelty.
Adam Bruski
Oct 04, 2014 Adam Bruski rated it really liked it
I have to give it 4 stars. Not because it is a world-changing work of literature, but because it is incredibly good at what it does. This book is a perfect skewering of Herbert's themes and writing style. While I live both of those in the original Dune works, it is also enjoyable to take a step back and have a little fun at their expense.
Todd
Sep 12, 2008 Todd rated it really liked it
My favorite line from this book - from the insult battle that spoofs the crysknife fight from the original: "I'd rather be a man like a woman drinking a beer without a head than a man without a head drinking beer without a woman."
Christy Leonardo
Oct 26, 2012 Christy Leonardo rated it it was amazing
This is a lolworthy long con of the strangest type -- a gag-encrusted, style-obsessed parody (addressing a remarkably narrow audience) that exists mainly to reaffirm that Herbert's greatest efforts are impenetrable.
Brendan  McAuliffe
Jan 03, 2012 Brendan McAuliffe rated it it was ok
Actually read this before reading the Herbert novel
Neil
Dec 26, 2010 Neil rated it it was ok
Was a pretty poor parody.
Skyring
Apr 14, 2013 Skyring marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Dave Peticolas
May 10, 2014 Dave Peticolas rated it it was ok

A bad parody of a good book.

Peter
Aug 30, 2010 Peter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humour
"Mauve Bib" and "Missionaria Phoneybalonica" indeed. :-DDD
Jack
Nov 15, 2015 Jack rated it liked it
It was an interesting, satirical parody.
Robert Taylor
Jun 26, 2011 Robert Taylor rated it it was amazing
This was laugh-out-loud funny, with some jokes so hilarious that they leave you crying! This is a book that every reader of Dune should get and devour!
Charles
Jun 05, 2008 Charles rated it it was amazing
This is an exquisitely executed parody (but you've got to have read the original for the full effect).
murph
May 30, 2008 murph rated it liked it
Doon. Aruckus. Dessert planet.
Don
Shelves: sci-fi, comedy
I laughed a lot :)
Kevinjwoods
May 07, 2016 Kevinjwoods rated it it was ok
Was probably funny in 1984.
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2013
David Overstreet
David Overstreet rated it it was ok
Mar 30, 2013
Carlos
Carlos rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2013
  • OpenGL Programming Guide: The Official Guide to Learning OpenGL, Version 2
  • Visionary in Residence: Stories
  • Circus World
  • Fractions: The First Half of The Fall Revolution
  • Timer, Op Amp, and Optoelectronic Circuits and Projects: Forrest Mims Engineer's Mini Book Vol. 1
  • More Money Than Brains: Why Schools Suck, College is Crap, and Idiots Think They're Right
  • Eyeheart Everything
  • The Flying Circus of Physics
  • As the World Burns: 50 Simple Things You Can Do to Stay in Denial
  • The 776 Stupidest Things Ever Said
  • Bored of the Rings: A Parody of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
  • A Tolkien Miscellany
  • The Great Explosion
  • Encyclopaedia of Hell: An Invasion Manual For Demons Concerning the Planet Earth and the Human Race Which Infests It

Lampoon Parodies (4 books)
  • Bored of the Rings: A Parody of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
  • Cardboard Box Of The Rings Omnibus (Cardboard Box of the Rings, #1-3)
  • Nightlight: A Parody