Start by marking “Thimble of Soil: A Woman's Quest for Land” as Want to Read:
Thimble of Soil: A Woman's Quest for Land

Thimble of Soil: A Woman's Quest for Land (Trail of Thread #2)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Subtitle: A Woman's Quest for Land, Historical Letters 1854-1860
Trail of Thread Series, Book 2

Experience the terror of the fighting and the determination to endure as you stake a claim alongside the women caught in the bloody conflicts of Kansas in the 1850s.

Follow the widowed Margaret Ralston Kennedy (a relative of the author) in this second book of the Trail of Thread se...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Butterfield Books

To ask other readers questions about Thimble of Soil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thimble of Soil

Chris
They had great determination. Moving to Kansas in the 1850's Then being caught in the huge rebellions of the 1850 Free Staters vs Pro Slavery people. Our widow lady and her family kept fighting to make it.
Cold Winters, Drought, not enough food, thieves, And they did it........
God bless them
Great book, very interesting history involved
Chris Granville
This one was ok. The style of the letters were exactly like the ones from book one, so it did not seem as authentic. Still I am a sucker for a diary.
Kitty
2nd in the series carried on the family story.
Georgiann Hennelly
I was given the audible version in exchange for an honest review. These families had great strength and determination. To move to Kansas during the 1850's. They survived the huge rebellions of the Free staters vs Pro slavery people. Cold winters drought, not having enough food, and thieves. But the widow Margaret Ralston Kennedy and her family kept fighting to survive and they made it. I felt i was actually part of the story and was right there with them. I highly recommend the audible version,...more
marvin shults
Going west.

The family certainly suffered the first few years after their move to Kansas but life improved somewhat in later years. The harsh winters and hot dry summers made for trying to
especially and uncertainties about their food supply each year. The telling of the story was well done and I found it very I interesting.
Jan
I liked this one as good as the first book in the series. I really felt like I was there.
PWRL
Mar 12, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jf
JF-YAHub
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Teresa Drelick
Teresa Drelick marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Tamela Sutler
Tamela Sutler marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Michele Myer
Michele Myer marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Debbi
Debbi marked it as to-read
Tina Malinowski
Tina Malinowski marked it as to-read
Erica Bruce
Erica Bruce marked it as to-read
Johnna
Johnna added it
Oct 03, 2014
Susan Emery-O'Malley
Susan Emery-O'Malley marked it as to-read
Patricia Seratte
Patricia Seratte marked it as to-read
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Beverly Ellzey
Beverly Ellzey marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Michelle Gershon
Michelle Gershon marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Darlene
Darlene marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Lynn
Lynn is currently reading it
Oct 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Trail of Thread: A Woman's Westward Journey (Trail of Thread #1) Butter In The Well: A Scandanavian Woman's Tale Of Life On The Prairie (Butter in the Well #1) Stitch of Courage: A Woman's Fight for Freedom (Trail of Thread #3) Planting Dreams: A Swedish Immigrant's Journey to America (Planting Dreams #1) Looking Back: The Final Tale of Life on the Prairie (Butter in the Well #4)