The Brain and Emotional Intelligence: New Insights

The Brain and Emotional Intelligence: New Insights

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  218 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Over the last decade and a half there has been a steady stream of new insights that further illuminate the dynamics of emotional intelligence. In this eBook, Daniel Goleman explains what we now know about the brain basis of emotional intelligence, in clear and simple terms.

This eBook will deepen your understanding of emotional intelligence and enhance your ability for its...more
Published 2011 by More Than Sound

Rubina
A short but very fascinating read. Goldman covers the how emotional intelligence and the brain are linked; the different sections of the brain that are affected by stress, afflictive emotions, and how practicing mindfulness and relaxation techniques can help.
Harrison
Daniel Goleman introduced the concept of emotional intelligence to psychology. This book presents some new insights into the relevant neuroscience discovered during the last several years. So while I looked forward to reading it, I wasn't expecting it to be only 78 pages. The chapters are very short and to the point, but a more comprehensive treatment would be welcome.

Goleman summarizes his emotional intelligence framework (self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relation managem...more
Debbie
Do all educators love reading about brain research? Emotional, social, cognitive learning - you name it, our little ole brains actually have the ability to learn and grow in just the ways we need. Take that cell and think it, think it, think it--like watering a plant. Encouraging news :)
Anu Ojaranta
Read it in Finnish... "Aivot ja tunneäly: uusimmat oivallukset" on päivitys kirjailijan aikaisempaan kirjaan "Tunneäly" vuodelta 1995. Tässä opuksessa käsitellään hyvin selkeällä tavalla tunneälyn vaikutus luovuuteen, itsensä johtamiseen, stressiin, flow tilan luimiseen, empatiaan ja myös peilineuroneiden merkityksestä. Mindfulness otettiin esille helpottamaan reaktioita. Mielenkiintoinen pätkä oli aiheesta sosiaaliset aivot verkossa ja siitä, miten me sähköisessä viestintätilanteessa ilman visu...more
Judy
A short review of brain research as it bolsters emotional intelligence insights. Might be boring for someone who is keeping up with this but just right for me. Borrowed this Kindle book (though I have a Nook) from a friend and that worked easily and well. (I read it on the Kindle app on my Ipad.) Two weeks was plenty of time to read this short book. However, I highlighted notes and now can't retrieve them from Amazon.
J
While part of the title claims 'new insights,' The Brain and Emotional Intelligence just summarizes what Goleman has already put out in some of his other books. It is a quick thumbnail synopsis and therein lies its value.
HastyWords HastyWords
I loved this book for several reasons.

It is well organized, is a fast read, and is very easy to understand. I am not an expert in the field but I am very interested in learning how and why we have the emotions we do. This book explains the basics without a ton of scientific jargon. When you are done reading a chapter you understand the bottom line and can apply it to your personal life.

I am very glad I read this book and have bookmarked several pages to revisit.

On a personal note I was diagnos...more
Kali
I wish this was better, since Goleman's Vital Lies, Simple Truths was terrific. But this seems more geared for corporate coaches than for psychologists or other researchers.
Charles
A quick read. Useful information, not too technical. The pictures of the brain didn't do much for me. I am inspired to learn more about some of the topics covered.
Dan
Too brief to be informative enough as an introduction. And if it's only meant to give a taste of other books on the subject of EI then it should at least be free.
Drick
Very short book (73 pages) outlining some of the most recent research on brain function as it relates to social and emotional intelligence
Ann Oliveri
Excellent insights from 30 years of research, connecting the dots from neuroscience to emotional aptitude.
Fed
Oct 19, 2012 Fed added it
This is a short update on how new findings in neuroscience are shaping what we know about brain functions in the context of emotional intelligence. It is good, but I see it more as a marketing strategy than anything else.

This author has written a number of books that on emotional intelligence and after reading a few of them, one gets the feeling that the material is always the same, but with a different twist (same topic in different environments). Emotional intelligence is a great theory, I am...more
Azzazzel
Very good book, just a little confusing in some chapters, but nothing to worry
Don Booz
Great book for a quick reference on EQ and the brain.
Dani
interesting, but a little short.
Susan Snyder
This is a five for those already familiar with EI. Really nice connections with Davidson's work, somewhat good connections with McClelland's. For any of you wondering what I do for a living, this is it. Full disclosure: Goleman is a partner of my firm's, and I am a wee bit biased!
Barb
Nice connection of EI to somewhat more recent neuro research, but not book-length worthy. Seemed like every few pages he injected a sentence to tell us some new "brilliant" test or idea he had. Seemed like more of an ego-feeder than a critically needed update.
Unit of Raine
Eh. This book (or the kindle version) is really short. Very .... high level? It references some interesting research being done and then ... doesn't really go into any more details. More like a syabus for additional reading.
Bruce
Goleman surveys new brain research as it applies to emotional intelligence showing how the neural system works to produce empathy in short essays that update his earlier works.
A. J.
Not one of Daniel Goleman's better works. A short read that is informative and enjoyable but no where close to past super books.
Faith Gudal
So interesting! I love learning about the science behind our actions. Really quick, fascinating read.
Víctor
Interesting notes about EI, but Goleman doesn't present much "new insights" from his previous works.
Patrick
Although the Information is useful, I didn't feel like there was anything I hadn't read before.
Gina Demmerly
Shortened version, but a great read and an interesting addition to the EI books
Sergey Kapustin
Sergey Kapustin marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Rafael
Rafael marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Kimberly Lindsay
Kimberly Lindsay marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
  • Brain Bugs: How the Brain's Flaws Shape Our Lives
  • Minding the Body, Mending the Mind
  • The Mindful Therapist: A Clinician's Guide to Mindsight and Neural Integration
  • Stewardship: Choosing Service Over Self-Interest
  • The Way We're Working Isn't Working: The Four Forgotten Needs That Energize Great Performance
  • Self-Efficacy: The Exercise of Control
  • Wider Than the Sky: The Phenomenal Gift of Consciousness
  • Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow
  • Paradox: The Nine Greatest Enigmas in Physics
  • Mirroring People: The New Science of How We Connect with Others
  • A New Guide to Rational Living
  • StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution
  • Quirk: Brain Science Makes Sense of Your Peculiar Personality
  • The Mindfulness Solution: Everyday Practices for Everyday Problems
  • Choices, Values, and Frames
  • Time Warrior: How to defeat procrastination, people-pleasing, self-doubt, over-commitment, broken promises and Chaos
  • Tap Dancing to Work: Warren Buffett on Practically Everything, 1966-2012
  • inGenius: A Crash Course on Creativity
Author of Emotional Intelligence and psychologist Daniel Goleman has transformed the way the world educates children, relates to family and friends, and conducts business. The Wall Street Journal ranked him one of the 10 most influential business thinkers.

Goleman’s Emotional Intelligence was on The New York Times best sellers list for a year-and-a-half. Named one of the 25 "Most Influential Busine...more
More about Daniel Goleman...
Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships Primal Leadership: Realizing the Power of Emotional Intelligence Working with Emotional Intelligence Destructive Emotions: A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama